fan----tastic

Russell Springs, KY

#1 Mar 17, 2009
I think coach rexroat is great and puts his heart and soul into the the program. he has excellent coaches on his staff who help prepare the players. The work being done at the field sux.... but i guess that doesnt matter. where the fans gonna sit? its a mess..... i imagine disabled people need help when working on such a huge job
bah humbug

Russell Springs, KY

#2 Mar 19, 2009
I don't want to even get started on our county baseball programs, poor youth league coaches that know nothing about baseball, choosing all stars because of the parents when umps and rexroat should pick them......we have gobs of kids in each age group and every year fewer kids play because of the crap you put up with in the youth league. by time they get to middle or high school, some of the best players dont play because they've been treated horrible
card player magazine

Russell Springs, KY

#3 Mar 19, 2009
What? Politics in Russell County??? NEVER!!!

Russell County is a joke. If you don't have the name you don't have the game! Sad but true.
Me and You

Bardstown, KY

#4 Mar 19, 2009
well,....
Baseball mom

Elizabethtown, KY

#5 Mar 20, 2009
Guess what? My kid has played baseball in Russell Co since he was 3 years old (that was 10 years ago by the way). He's been on Little Leage teams and on every All Star Team since he began playing the sport.
Guess what else? We don't have money, a "BIG" last name, etc. My kid plays because he is a terrific player who give 100% percent or more all the time.
I know there are politics in Russell and most counties for that matter. But what I'm saying is simply that if your kid don't have talent for the sport, then yeah he or she will probably warm the bench a lot.
I get so tired of people saying how their kid is a great player but the coach won't play him for whatever reason. If he or she is so great, why wouldn't the coach play him or her? That is silly. Our coaches want to win and if a kid is good, then they will play.
And furthermore, Coaches have to play everyone on the team during a game in Little League (read your rule book if you don't believe me). But yes, the better athletes get more playing time.
I personally want my son on a team with other kids who give 100%. It encourages him to better himself at the game.
If your kid is so good, then he or she needs to work hard and stand out from everyone else. I guarantee the coach will notice.
Maybe you should find a sport your kid is good at and sign them up instead of picking on baseball in Russell County. Better yet, spend some time in the park or your yard working on your kid's baseball skills like my husband and I have done for the last 10 years. If a kid has sports ability, you as a parent have to help him or her build on it as well.
Its not all up to the coaches...maybe you should take a long hard look at the fingers pointing back at yourself before you point the finger of blame at everyone else.
wow

Russell Springs, KY

#6 Mar 23, 2009
Baseball mom wrote:
Guess what? My kid has played baseball in Russell Co since he was 3 years old (that was 10 years ago by the way). He's been on Little Leage teams and on every All Star Team since he began playing the sport.
Guess what else? We don't have money, a "BIG" last name, etc. My kid plays because he is a terrific player who give 100% percent or more all the time.
I know there are politics in Russell and most counties for that matter. But what I'm saying is simply that if your kid don't have talent for the sport, then yeah he or she will probably warm the bench a lot.
I get so tired of people saying how their kid is a great player but the coach won't play him for whatever reason. If he or she is so great, why wouldn't the coach play him or her? That is silly. Our coaches want to win and if a kid is good, then they will play.
And furthermore, Coaches have to play everyone on the team during a game in Little League (read your rule book if you don't believe me). But yes, the better athletes get more playing time.
I personally want my son on a team with other kids who give 100%. It encourages him to better himself at the game.
If your kid is so good, then he or she needs to work hard and stand out from everyone else. I guarantee the coach will notice.
Maybe you should find a sport your kid is good at and sign them up instead of picking on baseball in Russell County. Better yet, spend some time in the park or your yard working on your kid's baseball skills like my husband and I have done for the last 10 years. If a kid has sports ability, you as a parent have to help him or her build on it as well.
Its not all up to the coaches...maybe you should take a long hard look at the fingers pointing back at yourself before you point the finger of blame at everyone else.
I've played college baseball. I know the difference between a good player and a bad one. I know the difference between a good coach and a bad coach. When practice after practice is nothing but batting, there is something wrong. When the first basement isn't taught to lead off with the correct foot, it is bad coaching. They don't coach! They worry about winning. My kid has played more than most, he has made all stars after all stars, that is not the point. When they don't know what they are doing and they focus on a handful of kids, the rest are left out. If you want to sit there and say it doesn't happen, keep your blinders on. Yes, it does happen everywhere, it just gets somewhat intolerable after seeing it go on and on with the same bunch year after year. Let someone else coach, let a committee of non coaches choose all stars, that isn't going to happen because no one would coach then.
hold on

Jamestown, KY

#7 Mar 23, 2009
it's allways been if you dont have the name you dont have any game it will always be that way at rc. it's been that way since i can rem & im 40 years old
Toe Jam

Russell Springs, KY

#8 Mar 23, 2009
Football and basketball is included in this political ring. The whole lot is a bunch of spineless a$$wipes, coaches and administration.
They care nothing about some kids, and really suck up to some. A lot of real talent has gone on unrecognized in this county since the 60's. Black balling students just to show who is the boss is no way to show encouragement. They know who I am talking about. They're all guilty. Ever wonder why Russell County has never excelled past early regional play? I do. Two or three families have always run the sports in this county for years. They ARE THE BOSS!!!! right or wrong, I'll show you attitude.
jayz

Marysville, IN

#9 Mar 24, 2009
The youth coaches in this town only focus on their own kids and after that focus on kissing the butt of the other coaches who can help their kids excel, I have seen it happen year after year, and yes my child still wants to play, I hope he doesn't give up because of the crap in this town. The coaches think if the kids talent isn't as good as their child that the child will never have it, well the thing is they won't ever have it if the coaches don't work with them year after year. Most of the coaches know where their players will go on the field before they even show up for that first practice and watch and see if their kid isn't on first base or shortstop, thats fine but at least see if other kids have talent or could have in these spots. There are many good kids in this town but thanks to all those fathers that is willing to work with their own kids, the future of the next All American will never be found.
Baseball Mom

Elizabethtown, KY

#10 Mar 25, 2009
Well, here's another idea for you. If your child, grandchild, cousin or neighbor is so great and the coach isn't
1) teaching the fundamentals that you agree with
2) playing the kids that you want played
3) treating everyone on the team fairly

then WHY DON'T YOU BECOME A COACH AND SHOW THEM HOW TO DO THINGS THE RIGHT WAY?

I get so sick of people screaming about politics in sports when they talk about Russell County baseball and basketball (those two more than others anyway). Its a funny thing to me if the coaches and school system is doing such a poor job, how do we ever win so many games? How do we go to District or to Regionals so many times? We even sent a little league team to state and almost made it to world not so long ago.

We can argue this all day long and never get anywhere so here's my suggestion. I'm a firm believer in change and making things happen. There's no sense arguing or griping about something and not proprosing a way to change it. If you're so upset by this situation, then YOU should be willing to throw some ideas out to the right people and participate in making changes to improve things.

And, no I don't have blinders on as one poster suggested. I've seen many coaches play their own child or a friend's child over other players. I've seen rich kids get more playing time than others. And, I've watched coaches leave out fundamentals and also go completely against the rule book. I've also had my kid sit on the bench a few times when I knew he was a better player than half those on the field. So, I didn't mean to imply that these things never happen.

My husband became a coach and did so for many years because of these problems. He taught every kid the rules straight from the book. He played each and every kid on his team. He treated umpires fairly and never lost his temper at them or the parents. Most of all, he never yelled or had to yell at his players because they respected him. And, we lost the season championship game one year because he believes that everyone deserves equal time on the field. We had enough "great" players to win the game but that wouldn't have been the right way to do things. He could have played the "lesser" players the required one inning but that would have been wrong. There was a kid who had a dream to be a pitcher and he pitched over half the game. We lost but there was more victory in the way those kids smiled and held their heads up for the great season we shared. And, many of the parents still tell me and my husband how appreciative they are of his fairness and coaching style.

So, you can "break the system" even in Russell County. And I'm happy to say that some of those kids from that team are playing middle and high school baseball right now.
Red Flash

Jamestown, KY

#11 Mar 25, 2009
Toe Jam wrote:
Football and basketball is included in this political ring. The whole lot is a bunch of spineless a$$wipes, coaches and administration.
They care nothing about some kids, and really suck up to some. A lot of real talent has gone on unrecognized in this county since the 60's. Black balling students just to show who is the boss is no way to show encouragement. They know who I am talking about. They're all guilty. Ever wonder why Russell County has never excelled past early regional play? I do. Two or three families have always run the sports in this county for years. They ARE THE BOSS!!!! right or wrong, I'll show you attitude.
I'm not going to get into an argument about this post. But I do think you need brush up on your history about Russell County sports before you bash them. First of all, our baseball team is one of the most successful baseball teams in the state of KY. Countless district championships and a handful of regional championships not to mention the host of 20 and 30 + win seasons. Russell County baseball is very well known and very well respected everywhere in this state.
Me and You

Bardstown, KY

#12 Mar 25, 2009
I agree.......RC Baseball ahs always excelled and done well,..Look at all thier accolades from the past! As well as for the RC Girls Softball program. It has several district championships and only I say,..ONLY North Laurel was ahead of us in Girls Softball because they got a head start on it in the early 90's....but to them they are a really good team, but our RC Girls teams have always been at the top in the region!!!
Red Flash wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not going to get into an argument about this post. But I do think you need brush up on your history about Russell County sports before you bash them. First of all, our baseball team is one of the most successful baseball teams in the state of KY. Countless district championships and a handful of regional championships not to mention the host of 20 and 30 + win seasons. Russell County baseball is very well known and very well respected everywhere in this state.
who

Russell Springs, KY

#13 Mar 25, 2009
who should coach? billy gillispie lol
rex is a great coach
The Man

Marysville, IN

#14 Mar 27, 2009
Rex is the man, I think he could coach a bunch of kids that can't swim at all and make them in to All-American swimmers!
jay

Columbia, KY

#15 Mar 27, 2009
rc baseball has a great program, although they didnt hold up to the adair team i was on back in school. but the games between us was very very good games this was back from 98 to 2000. but anyways rex does well with those kids good luck
Maybe not

Russell Springs, KY

#16 Mar 28, 2009
jay wrote:
rc baseball has a great program, although they didnt hold up to the adair team i was on back in school. but the games between us was very very good games this was back from 98 to 2000. but anyways rex does well with those kids good luck
Russell County baseball has been beating this shit out of Adair Co since the sun settled in the west.
Me and You

Bardstown, KY

#17 Apr 2, 2009
RC Baseball rocks!!!
true

Richlands, VA

#18 Oct 21, 2010
Toe Jam wrote:
This sounds exactly like Tazewell Va. I'm told that most county seats are this way. It's devastating when you find out this truth.
baseball fan

Russell Springs, KY

#19 Oct 21, 2010
How good will the team be this year? They lost a lot of talent last year from their regional runner up team.
Fan

Russell Springs, KY

#20 Apr 29, 2011
Great players... Avg Team.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Russell Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 9 min Sad 135,026
Heroin Menace 1 hr Heroin Hater 13
Looking for Car! under $3500 (Jun '11) 3 hr Almost amish 17
Russell County Teachers 7 hr Lovey 14
The Shepherds Chapel (Oct '08) 9 hr OldTimer 298
Religious liberty and Christian persecution. 12 hr Dan Euchre 5
Debate: Gay Marriage - Russell Springs, KY (Jul '10) 12 hr Seentheotherside 35,588
Superintendent at RC Feb 25 Alive 1
Russell Springs Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Russell Springs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]