Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 166315 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#131053 May 20, 2014
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Words YaA, I don't strange vid--ee-yo's.
It's a music video....
(Talking to Jesus)
Let them see you in me,
Let them hear you when I speak....
Good video/Music.
( I might show an abortion video once in a while, but
I'll try to warn you of it)
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#131054 May 20, 2014
Look at the Liars in the Whitehouse....
Look at the problems that keep popping up in our nation...
Is anyone sick of these things???
Fact is....
Evil perpetuates Evil, and you want Evil, and call it Good...
Just as the Bible said you would!
God is Real, and
The Bible is True!
Keep posting on!

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#131055 May 20, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Smh
The higher law was instituted with Adam. It wasn't taken away until the period before Moses. The lesser law was instituted after the Exodus. Remember?
You don't understand the scriptures beyond scratching the surface, but you don't really listen after you have asked a question. You just look for the next thing to try to pick apart or discount.
I'm pointing out problems with belief in a perfect god in a world such as ours, and especially with a holy book such as the Bible.

My point is that god, being all powerful, should have no need to give us "higher" and "lower" laws. Think about it. The Garden of Eden period is purely mythological. No historical evidence at all. So it is very easy to speculate that such a time was governed by this "higher" law. But as we get into stories like Exodus, which was written a bit more like a single, somewhat coherent narrative, it is harder to say such things. That story points to actual places and actual peoples. So then you have to invent this idea of a "lower law" to help explain why things happened the way they were told in subsequent stories.

God, being perfect, has no reason for such mangled histories. And I've already shown you that he also has no reason at all to create a world with suffering merely to preserve free will.

This is just one more straw on the camel's back. One more bit of evidence that this whole thing is exactly as it appears to be: mythology. Interesting, beautiful, weird, mythology.

Location hidden

#131056 May 20, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists are distrusted because of their beliefs and personal moral code. They don't doubt , they believe God does not exist.
This is a good example of where your thinking and your knowledge on the subject are clearly misguided.

Atheists have traditionally been less trusted (not "mistrusted") because in a society in which everyone thinks one way it is natural to be wary of someone who does not. Doesn't mean the suspicious is well founded, just that it is natural.

Atheism by itself is simply the rejection of a belief in god. Period and end of story. It has no other world views necessarily tied to it. But it turns out that most atheists are skeptical first and sort of come to atheism as a result of being critical of ideas.

Nobody knows if a god exists. But, depending on which god, we can be more or less certain of the notion. The god of the Bible is an example of a specific set of deities that almost certainly DO NOT exist. Yet the philosopher's god, that general idea of a "god like being", is so vague and toothless it would be foolish to assert it does not exist at all.

And equally foolish to assert it does exist.

The rest of your post reads like a handbook for cults and Catholic priests.
wellll

London, KY

#131057 May 20, 2014
Don't know

Location hidden

#131058 May 20, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
It does matter. Different sets of people, in different time periods, with different cultures, and different surroundings, act (surprisingly) different.
It matters which time these people lived because they were under different sets of laws. The lesser law was more strict and allowed less freedom because they had proved they couldn't handle this freedom. All this was in preparation for the coming of the Son of God. He then instituted again the higher law and told us it would be lost, restored, and then never again be removed.
Now we live in a time once again where God speaks to man. And this spokesman will not command us to kill. He has commanded us to present the gospel to all and to move on if it is denied.
And once again you present a view of history that is consistent with a natural world without a god but irrational in a world in which there IS a god.

A perfect being would have no reason for all this nonsense. But all this nonsense demands rationalization if you choose to believe in such a god.

An example of this rationalization if the idea that the OT predicts Jesus, which you clearly think it did. Yet it clearly does not. You can find singular passages here and there that could be construed to that end but I think I once found passages predicting Michael Jackson with similar veracity.

Location hidden

#131059 May 20, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I hear you, they are trying to hammer me on this but no worries.
I have posted this, elsewhere...Christianity is not a religion but a relationship, better said. Yes, it is lumped in under religion for many reasons. But, technically it is not a religion, as Jesus spoke against the religious leaders. So, again we all just have to agree to disagree on this point.
True, the Bible is the inspired word of God written through man. God has chosen to work through mankind.
You can redefine words for your own benefit all you like but you are absolutely wrong about this. You are making an assertion about the world's most popular religion and it is definitely not true.

Because TECHNICALLY, it is a religion. But clearly you have your own set of definitions so conversation on the topic is probably impossible.

Did you know Led Zeppelin was not a band?

Pepsi is not a beverage.

I heard that the Moon is not a roundish hunk of rock orbiting the Earth.

I also have it on good authority that cows are not mammals nor are they animals.

Location hidden

#131060 May 20, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
God created heaven, earth and mankind good. God gave dominion of this earth to mankind because he loved us. If God made us to love him, is it us making that choice? No. Does it show love for a parent to do everything for their child, so much so they cannot stand as an adult?
Mankind had everything they could ever need or want, along with a choice. Mankind chose to sin and through sin, turned dominion of this earth over to satan. This is where the suffering, pains, disease, death, etc. has entered, through sin. When man sinned, there was a spiritually death. Man was no longer mind, body and spirit...just mind and body. God did not want this for us, mankind made this choice. What kills, steals and destroys is not from God. God's tests does not steal, kill or destroy. When Jesus walked this earth, he healed people and delivered them from sickness, etc. Jesus died on the cross for our sins, so we would not have to die. The spiritual life that was lost through sin, is given in Jesus Christ to all who accept Him. Once a person becomes a Christian, they are now perfect....as in complete; mind, body and spirit.
When Jesus ascended back to heaven, he sent the Comforter who is with us who are in Christ Jesus. God loves us so much that he gave us authority to do certain things in his name. We blame so many things on God that is not God. We are suppose to treat others the way we want to be treated and so much more. If we were doing more of what we are suppose to do, than less people would be suffering as well. God instructs us not to do certain acts for our own good, gives accounts in the Bible both good and bad, yet many of us still choose to do our own thing. Then, when things turn out painful or deadly, turn around and blame God? How? Please, stop blaming God for what we as human beings are not doing.
Wow. My whole argument was to show how this argument is logically flawed. Then you simply repeat the logically flawed argument?

My point was simple. God was able to create a world WITH FREE WILL and WITHOUT SUFFERING.

Why can't he do the same thing on earth?

It's pretty simple. And since we know free will isn't violated by having no suffering (see: heaven) then your entire reply misses the point. This is a problem of logic. And virtually all religious thinkers agree that god is a logical being.

What then is the reason for babies being raped to death and people dying of horrible diseases? God is not powerful enough to prevent it? God is not willing to prevent it?

Where then is the all powerful, perfect, good god?

That's the argument.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#131061 May 20, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians look at what is actually true, in every sense of the word.
A question has come to mind for you....
Would you be willing to do more research to know if there is really a God?
If, you find the answers to your questions that show you there is a God, would you believe it?
No, that is not true in any sense of the word. It is a blanket statement, the sense of the words truth and Truth are diametrically opposed and you have not adhered to what is true with your own statements.

You seem to be unaware that your phrasing is drenched in confirmation bias. I am not advancing any questions to show me there is a god, just as I am also not looking for confirmation of invisible pink unicorns or flying spaghetti monsters. You have an emotional investment in believing in a magic man in the sky as described in an archaic "holy" book. There is no humanoid all powerful and all knowing deity named YHWH that created all of time and space so that he can personally dote on homo sapiens Jews and Christians.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#131062 May 20, 2014
justice_- wrote:
<quoted text>
What the heck are you talking about? Why don't.you just admit it? You can't answer the question without allowing the fact that Christians are doubtful into the debate. Impossible .You know it is true, yet all of you won't be honest. It's not realistic for any believer of the Bible ...you know you're not willing to get caught questioning what you've been brainwashed to think.
I have no comment on the other vile tactics you drum up to hide from giving a direct answer . With a moniker like "curious " it screams doubt about Christianity and curiosity about atheism .
Dam, you're so sexy when you talk like that :)

“See how you are?”

Earth

#131063 May 20, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh no , My terminology is not confused;
It is the stalwarts of the atheist faith who have come out in favor of incest , beastiality , necrophelia, child sex begininhg at age 10 , with no restrictions,,,,
Evildoers ans the malintentioned will always find some perverted and illconceived excuse to justify their deeds in order to fulfill their personal corrupt desires,it is in their human nature to do so..........
There is no atheist faith. I understand that is an alien concept to you. Your obsessions and arguments are hollow. You toss out remarks from notable atheists, but there is a far larger bunch of religious notables who have not just spoken hypothetically about immorality, they have intentionally committed it.

Location hidden

#131064 May 20, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
It takes alot of effort and denial to put one's faith in a theory. As a kid in elementary school and Darwin's evolution theory was taught, I thought as a kid and wondered why haven't anything evolved since? Why haven't people turned into something else from so called apes, etc?
This story really sounds fishy. Evolution typically isn't taught much until the high school level. Things have evolved since, as have humans. The changes in humans aren't terribly significant because we face virtually no selective pressures outside of sexual selection.
chinwendu1 wrote:
Science points to the existence of God more than the non-existence of God. Scientists cannot answer so many questions about life, our body systems, the earth, space, animals and so much more.
True, however, religions such as Christianity cannot answer anything.
chinwendu1 wrote:
One cannot see a washing machine or dryer and say it just evolved into what it is today. Looking at both the washer and dryer points to the fact that someone came up with the design. It is the very same with human beings, heaven and earth, if one is truly honest.
It's not the same thing. Organisms reproduce with variation. Laundry machines do not.

Location hidden

#131065 May 20, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you read it all the way through?
Yes, I did. How does it support your position at all?

Location hidden

#131066 May 20, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The theory of evolution is just a theory...something that something thinks could have happened a certain way.
That's not what a theory is.
"A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method, and repeatedly confirmed through observation and experimentation."
The idea that diseases come from germs like bacteria and viruses is a theory, Germ Theory. It's also a fact beyond all reasonable doubt.
The idea that the Earth goes around the Sun is a theory, Heliocentric Theory. It's also a fact beyond all reasonable doubt.
chinwendu1 wrote:
Creation, I do not think it should be taught in science but a better fit might be history.
Creation is neither science nor history.

Location hidden

#131067 May 20, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not arguing against basic facts. I just know that statistics, surveys, studies, etc. can be manipulated...simple.
Then you need to provide evidence that every single organization that tracks crime is manipulating their data.
chinwendu1 wrote:
Yes, the single theme is God's love for mankind. The OT is the old covenant before Christ and there is judgment and the NT is the new covenant, after Jesus Christ and there is mercy.
That's an absurdly broad theme, and frankly, doesn't fit most of the OT, which describes a deity which has little love, patience, or compassion for mankind.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#131068 May 20, 2014
USA wrote:
<quoted text>
What a fool you are. What an evil fool your are, you're Not As Smart as you think you are.
No problem. I don't have to be very smart to point out the "evil" facts to thumb sucking fundies. What percentage of geologists claim there was a global flood that covered the highest mountains to a depth of 7 meters 4,500+/- years ago, yet how is it that God failed to even mention the last ice age or even the Santorini eruption in His Book? Why didn't God grant the Jews any real information? He even held out on the simple little truths that the Earth is a ball and is not at the center of the solar system. The simple little truth is that YHWH didn't write the Bible. "He" only inspired it the same way that an author might be inspired to write a civil war romance after reading Gone With the Wind.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#131069 May 20, 2014
justice_- wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you casting a spell?
guess 1) is that he doesn't quite understand what I've written, but he's pretty sure it's about him.
2) is that it's his fire and brimstone "I''m a sinner and not worthy" daily affirmation.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#131070 May 20, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no atheist faith. I understand that is an alien concept to you. Your obsessions and arguments are hollow. You toss out remarks from notable atheists, but there is a far larger bunch of religious notables who have not just spoken hypothetically about immorality, they have intentionally committed it.
There is an atheist faith and it's name is atheism; belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

Moreover , as I am sure you already know,it is also a religion according to the rulings of the Supreme Court
"The Supreme Court has said a religion need not be based on a belief in the existence of a supreme being. In the 1961 case of Torcaso v. Watkins, the court described “secular humanism” as a religion.
Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2005/08/31895/#DLBF6U6ATLr...

And you are right," there is a far larger bunch of religious notables who have not just spoken hypothetically about immorality, they have intentionally committed it
However, that does not negate the fact that it is atheists who have publicly condoned those immoral behaviours as an acceptable lifestyle
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#131071 May 20, 2014
justice_- wrote:
<quoted text>
What the heck are you talking about? Why don't.you just admit it? You can't answer the question without allowing the fact that Christians are doubtful into the debate. Impossible .You know it is true, yet all of you won't be honest. It's not realistic for any believer of the Bible ...you know you're not willing to get caught questioning what you've been brainwashed to think.
I have no comment on the other vile tactics you drum up to hide from giving a direct answer . With a moniker like "curious " it screams doubt about Christianity and curiosity about atheism .
Hey Kumquat, What the Heck are YOU talking about?
What does your gibberishal response have to do with what I posted?
Your erroneous opinions of my faith are based on your ignorance as an atheist.
No one has brainwashed me to think,that is the mental condition of atheists , not mine.
It is God who has taught me to believe in Him, a simple fact that you fail to understand..
If my faith is screaming at you and you can not bear it, turn the volume down on your hearing aid..........
However , you have a point , I am curious about how atheists can be so mentally deficient
And of course , you failed to defend those of your faith who condone incest , necrophelia , beastiality and unbridled and unreined sex begining at age 10..........
And I understand why you failed to do so, That type of moral behaviour is indefensible to the overwhelming majority of humanity

“Justice Sweet”

Since: Jan 14

Mount Vernon

#131072 May 20, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Kumquat, What the Heck are YOU talking about?
What does your gibberishal response have to do with what I posted?
Your erroneous opinions of my faith are based on your ignorance as an atheist.
No one has brainwashed me to think,that is the mental condition of atheists , not mine.
It is God who has taught me to believe in Him, a simple fact that you fail to understand..
If my faith is screaming at you and you can not bear it, turn the volume down on your hearing aid..........
However , you have a point , I am curious about how atheists can be so mentally deficient
And of course , you failed to defend those of your faith who condone incest , necrophelia , beastiality and unbridled and unreined sex begining at age 10..........
And I understand why you failed to do so, That type of moral behaviour is indefensible to the overwhelming majority of humanity
You were responding to my post if you don't recall.. Your still trying to avoid the question:
Have you ever doubted anything about Christianity or the Bible ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Russell Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drug store robbery (Dec '16) 10 hr shane 6
Sundowner 11 hr make russell co g... 18
Lack Of Sunday Alcohol Sales Ignorant Stupidity 11 hr concerned 24
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) Wed MAGA 1,035
Chasing tail Wed Lol 5
I wish my parents would drop dead Tue your a thinker 10
Amanda Troxell (Passmore) Aug 13 BigGuns77 3

Russell Springs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Russell Springs Mortgages