Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 149913 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Campbellsville, KY

#82344 Jul 9, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
You much be projecting ...:)
Must ... But Much kinda works too....

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#82345 Jul 9, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Must ... But Much kinda works too....
Yes and very funny.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Campbellsville, KY

#82346 Jul 9, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Yes and very funny.
To much Red Tube can cause that sorta thang ya know.....
Satanic Priest

Fort Myers, FL

#82347 Jul 9, 2012
Known fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Science has been proven... but evolution has NOT!
Really? And here I thought that these new flu viruses like bird flu and swine flu EVOLVED.
Yes, evolution has been proven!

“What was that ?”

Since: Jun 12

Did You Something?

#82348 Jul 9, 2012
*stares at*
Known fact

Cape Canaveral, FL

#82349 Jul 9, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
The benefit of my so called education isthat it allows me theknowledge base to to make the terminally stupid, such asyour fine self, admit they are as dumb as a Horse and think it a good thing... And by the way ifyou can crank up them fine horse sensesyou might want to go back a bit and seethat I never and any point Assumed anything... What I did along the way was to allowyou to at any point display Intellect... To whichyou failed badly... I made no assumptions....You see I long ago I thought up a quotethat actually is very apropos at this point... "Tis simple for the intelligent man to feign ignorance, Tis impossible for the ignorant man to feign intellect" - Q
There is a nice old saying that I will share with you. " I would like to buy him for what he knows and be able to sell him for what he thinks he knows!" "Those who think they know it all annoy those of us who do" Convince a fool against hes will and he will have the same opinion still.
The real difference betwene you and me is I base what I know on God's word the Bible and you base yours on human thinking
Known fact

Cape Canaveral, FL

#82350 Jul 9, 2012
The wisdom of the world is foolishness with God!

God created the whole universe and know how it works. And you presume to know more than God..now that is presumptuousness!

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Campbellsville, KY

#82351 Jul 9, 2012
Known fact wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a nice old saying that I will share with you. " I would like to buy him for what he knows and be able to sell him for what he thinks he knows!" "Those who think they know it all annoy those of us who do" Convince a fool against hes will and he will have the same opinion still.
The real difference betwene you and me is I base what I know on God's word the Bible and you base yours on human thinking
You couldn't even get that saying correct...

"If I Could Buy You for What You Think You're Worth and Sell You for What You're Really Worth, I Could Retire."

You can base your knowledge on the bible all you wish... It simple means you shall always be deluded by myth and magic.... I just advise avoiding conversations with most high school graduates as it could cause them to hurt themselves falling on the floor and laughing...
Parent Supporter

Catlettsburg, KY

#82352 Jul 9, 2012
I am a believer and I am a public school teacher as well. What Christian parent with any Scriptural knowledge would want a stranger to teach their children the Bible? I know history well enough to know that the Bible has been used for good and bad. My undergraduate training was in Christian theology. I know too well how the Bible has been twisted throughout history to lead people to do things that are very ungodly. My opinion is that parents should teach Scripture and spiritual truths at home and teachers should teach academics and civil responsibility at school.
juggalo

Greenbrier, AR

#82353 Jul 10, 2012
Known fact wrote:
The wisdom of the world is foolishness with God!
God created the whole universe and know how it works. And you presume to know more than God..now that is presumptuousness!
I wonder how many other.planets god has had to destroy because its inhabitants didn't adhere to the bible or is this planet the only one giving him / her problems ?

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#82354 Jul 10, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>Don't Do It !!! It will cause Drain Bramage....
Mine is already damaged...

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#82355 Jul 10, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>I LOVE Science! I use it every day...
(1) think! how many times have they changed their minds, n dates?
I'm 57, and I know of many... fakes, frauds, Quotes of "Hey! we gotta point to something other than God... even if it's a lie!"
kind of things!
Having LIVED near, and seen the Grand canyon, and Knowing their theories on it's creation was wrong, but they hold to the story...
NO! False Science has nothing for me... Real Science, and God do exist together perfectly... after all...
He created the Laws that govern this realm!
It was God...(or one of His Angels)...
I was sitting in a shed with a propane tank, and a lighter... just about to blow myself up, and a Loud clear voice that eminated from everywhere said... "Don't do it!"
Instantly my depression was gone...
I looked out, and No one was around!
After I started to get to know Him better, and I do talk with Him a lot... He told me to look back at me life, and see where all the times He saved my butt... MANY, many times, and sad part was... mostly my fault... LOL
Things are so much clearer, as my Eyes have been opened!
Sure... you can breed an ugly dog... but it'll NEVER be anything other than a dog! Not a whale... geeeesh!
It seems that you misunderstand science on a very deep level. Science tries to understand the world by observation, experiment, falsification. If you begin with your answer - god did it- and then try to fit pieces into that view you are not doing science.

The only people on the planet who agree with you on thus topic are Christian Fundamentalists. Experts who actually know what they are doing do not agree with you.

That should at least cause you a sense of humility at least.
MirrorMan

Muskegon, MI

#82356 Jul 10, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
You couldn't even get that saying correct...
"If I Could Buy You for What You Think You're Worth and Sell You for What You're Really Worth, I Could Retire."
You can base your knowledge on the bible all you wish... It simple means you shall always be deluded by myth and magic.... I just advise avoiding conversations with most high school graduates as it could cause them to hurt themselves falling on the floor and laughing...
Well...
The question is knowldege of what? Religion has had a tremendous influence on human history. I've heard it said that shamanism is the second oldest profession. During the time that the stories of what became the Bible were passed down it's estimated that the world population rose from less than 5 to over 25 million. Tribal survival was dependent on the adoption of laws and later standardization of those were a means of organizing and controlling the populace. The rise of europe was indivisible from those writings and the basics are still present in our own statutes and rulings - thou shalt not kill, steal, lie...(In spite of the First Amendment blue laws are peppered across continent. repeat - IN SPITE OF. But give some people a little power... http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states ) As time went on and populations swelled, religion inevitably inspired more rules, laws, hierarchies, cultures, customs, beliefs, societies, practices, arts. Excommunication of nobles changed dynasties and treasuries, Popes appointed Emperors and countries were blessed or conquered, architecture, art and music was commissioned for religious purposes - and censored as well, technology and the sciences were both advanced and repressed by religious leaders. Probably no other single thing in the past 150,000 years, aside from asteroid impacts, glaciation and near extinction from Toba, has had as much influence on mankind as religion. A full disclosure of the study of humanities requires the due consideration of the Bible as a major catalyst in the development and retardation of western civilization - not a footnote.
It is not irony that the greatest argument AGAINST the Bible in the classroom comes not from Constitutionalists or atheists, but from those who choose not to distinguish literature from literal or history from hystrionics.
MirrorMan

Muskegon, MI

#82357 Jul 10, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>What is a soul, do you have a pic of one?
I have photos of orbs in a graveyard. That proves dust motes and gnats have souls!

Since: Jul 12

Lexington, KY

#82358 Jul 10, 2012
What everyone is not thinking about is this country was founded on religion. Just look at the times then and timesnow. Just look in the past 60 years. Women dress from long respectable skirts and non revealing clothing to parents letting their 11 yr old daughters wear booty shorts begging for perverts to gauk and sin over being sexual with a child! Problem no religion no God. Which amounts to no self respect and the feelingly of absolutely unconditional love of a God that will never let you down. I believe all children should be introduced to thebible snx when they are adults they can choose to continue to learn about our savior and if God has a role in that child's heart his children always come back to him. I am a foster parent and the pure evil out there isunreal and the things parents are doing to their own child. Things unheard of back before Jesus was taken out of school. There isn't even enough social workers and foster parents out there to takein these kids. I have 6 kids in my home pray everyday and are faithful and understanding of our lord by choice because they now have parents that love them enough to introduce them to God and I have 6 kids who can testify what the lord has done from them and kept them alive and comforted through the rape and abuse. This generation will see the end of this world and as many needs saved as possible. Thumbs up for Bible lessons
Known fact

Cape Canaveral, FL

#82359 Jul 10, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
You couldn't even get that saying correct...
"If I Could Buy You for What You Think You're Worth and Sell You for What You're Really Worth, I Could Retire."
You can base your knowledge on the bible all you wish... It simple means you shall always be deluded by myth and magic.... I just advise avoiding conversations with most high school graduates as it could cause them to hurt themselves falling on the floor and laughing...
OK I take your advise I will not converse with you anymore!
MirrorMan

Muskegon, MI

#82360 Jul 10, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me try to put it into words as I see it in the mind... Lets first simplify the concept to just 2 particles.. the Whole of the Universe exists between those two little balls of stuff.. You are not
an Outside Observer looking at the Universe You are one of the Little Balls of stuff... Say that those particles were converted from a finite quanta of Energy... From Our point of view it's Infinite as before the 2 little balls were converted there are no physical laws that can apply so that Energy Quanta would seem Infinite..
Now in this 2 particle Universe some of the Quanta of energy was converted into physical matter with inertial mass (we could call the particles Higgs Bosons but I think SPP's better describe) but that Energy Quanta still exists as only a portion was converted into the SPP's ... The Remaining exists between the two SPP's... The Conversion Process causes those SPP to ring.. That ring is what we see as a EM wave... that EM wave traverses the distance between the 2 SPP's through the connected and remaining Quanta the particles were converted out of... Now consider from the SPP's stand point the Quantum State between the particles can only be observed by it's effect on the 2 SPP's..
Try to picture that.. in it's base form it's simple... but kinda hard to mentally picture..
Now.. How that simple concept explains those points you mention... If the SPP's move apart the Quantum State acts as an Inverse Tensor attempting to pull them back together but as they move apart (From the applied energy from the conversion) they would move apart faster as they move apart... This explains what you one of those balls observes as Gravity... In the Real Universe there are more than 2 SPP's so when a SPP or Group of SPP move they are always being pulled by particles in direction of travel and in all other directions.. by lessening tensors as the one in motion gets further away... It's this Inverse Tensor that imparts Inertia to a particle with Mass... If the Ringing becomes Directional the the EM wave becomes directional acting on the connecting Quantum State explaining the Causation of Magnetism.. Strong and Weak Nuke Forces are explained by EM waves Heterodyne and phase locking .. Decay is just the slow change in Ringing Freq of groups of Phase Locked SPP's..
There you go.. a Explanation of all Forces as a Unified concept while not violating any existing laws of QM, SR, R or Newtonian rules...
OK. I have some trouble with bringing that up to macroscopic and temporal scales - such as with magnetic domains, eddy currents and ropes. The Vicsek model doesn't allow for a single SPP, does it? I suspect that existence of one would require a dipole. Maybe with duality one particle could dance/swarm with itself, and might also allow it to have separate and unique frequencies simultaneously. Also, duality infers that the ringing is detached from c? Over my head.
MirrorMan

Muskegon, MI

#82361 Jul 10, 2012
Jesusisthelight wrote:
What everyone is not thinking about is this country was founded on religion. Just look at the times then and timesnow. Just look in the past 60 years. Women dress from long respectable skirts and non revealing clothing to parents letting their 11 yr old daughters wear booty shorts begging for perverts to gauk and sin over being sexual with a child! Problem no religion no God. Which amounts to no self respect and the feelingly of absolutely unconditional love of a God that will never let you down. I believe all children should be introduced to thebible snx when they are adults they can choose to continue to learn about our savior and if God has a role in that child's heart his children always come back to him. I am a foster parent and the pure evil out there isunreal and the things parents are doing to their own child. Things unheard of back before Jesus was taken out of school. There isn't even enough social workers and foster parents out there to takein these kids. I have 6 kids in my home pray everyday and are faithful and understanding of our lord by choice because they now have parents that love them enough to introduce them to God and I have 6 kids who can testify what the lord has done from them and kept them alive and comforted through the rape and abuse. This generation will see the end of this world and as many needs saved as possible. Thumbs up for Bible lessons
The country was founded on freedom from oppression more than it was freedom to be religious - although breaking from the Church of England was a factor. The writings of the founding fathers indicate that they were more tolerant of religious diversity than they commonly credited with. I agree that societal standards have dropped, but atrocities and crime have been a problem everywhere and every when. I would associate the rise in "pure evil" as coming more from the entertainment media, urbanization and poor parenting (likely generations of poor parenting) than by the removal of sectarianism from education.
What you mention that lingers disturbingly is "This generation will see the end of this world". We are already a short-sighted culture, I'd hate to consider that some of our leaders' decisions for our future are based on their faith in our doom.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Campbellsville, KY

#82362 Jul 10, 2012
Known fact wrote:
<quoted text>
OK I take your advise I will not converse with you anymore!
Kewl...
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82363 Jul 10, 2012
MirrorMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Well...
The question is knowldege of what? Religion has had a tremendous influence on human history. I've heard it said that shamanism is the second oldest profession. During the time that the stories of what became the Bible were passed down it's estimated that the world population rose from less than 5 to over 25 million. Tribal survival was dependent on the adoption of laws and later standardization of those were a means of organizing and controlling the populace. The rise of europe was indivisible from those writings and the basics are still present in our own statutes and rulings - thou shalt not kill, steal, lie...(In spite of the First Amendment blue laws are peppered across continent. repeat - IN SPITE OF. But give some people a little power... http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states ) As time went on and populations swelled, religion inevitably inspired more rules, laws, hierarchies, cultures, customs, beliefs, societies, practices, arts. Excommunication of nobles changed dynasties and treasuries, Popes appointed Emperors and countries were blessed or conquered, architecture, art and music was commissioned for religious purposes - and censored as well, technology and the sciences were both advanced and repressed by religious leaders. Probably no other single thing in the past 150,000 years, aside from asteroid impacts, glaciation and near extinction from Toba, has had as much influence on mankind as religion. A full disclosure of the study of humanities requires the due consideration of the Bible as a major catalyst in the development and retardation of western civilization - not a footnote.
It is not irony that the greatest argument AGAINST the Bible in the classroom comes not from Constitutionalists or atheists, but from those who choose not to distinguish literature from literal or history from hystrionics.
who would be qualified to teach such a comprehensive view of religion, and also be willing to teach it in a town or city where the fundies would be monitoring it via their student spies in the classroom, waiting to howl in protest if the teacher says anything contrary to their fundie views? it would be fine in a good college - not in a bad one, maybe in a mediocre one, with some academic freedom.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Russell Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone have any experience with Dr B over by th... 3 hr shining light 3
cheating woman 8 hr concerned 3
Easy women 13 hr Tim 28
Russell county quick lube 16 hr Customer 3
How did Andys wife die? (Jan '08) Wed Poltice 41
Is the new Rite-Aid selling liquor? Wed anon 6
Vote Out 3 Ignorant Russell County Magistrates Tue hmm 34

Russell Springs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Russell Springs Mortgages