out cold

Atlanta, GA

#43 Aug 28, 2007
curious wrote:
<quoted text>Why all the attention and why would you want to know so much about a terrible child molester, are you one ? Russell County is infested with child molesters and there's more in jail from here than most counties combined .
lets see,he never got a trial,so how do you know he was guilty of anything? hearsay thats 99 years old? was you there? did you see him do it? did anyone see him do it? wow 99years later and russell county is still the same way [guilty until proven inocent]
hey

Russell Springs, KY

#44 Aug 28, 2007
out cold wrote:
<quoted text>lets see,he never got a trial,so how do you know he was guilty of anything? hearsay thats 99 years old? was you there? did you see him do it? did anyone see him do it? wow 99years later and russell county is still the same way [guilty until proven inocent]
If you're so concerned about this guy why don't you dig up his bones some night and clone a sample of his DNA with a donor chick in Sweden who's willing to do it for you and re-incarnate this monster ? Halloween is just around the corner .
wake up

Russell Springs, KY

#45 Aug 28, 2007
out cold wrote:
<quoted text>lets see,he never got a trial,so how do you know he was guilty of anything? hearsay thats 99 years old? was you there? did you see him do it? did anyone see him do it? wow 99years later and russell county is still the same way [guilty until proven inocent]
Would you wake up? Guilty until proven innocent is the entire country. If he admitted to it then why would he need a trial? Sure that is his right but if somebody murdered your child and he said that he did it would you want him to have a fair trial? That was back when people had the balls to do something instead of just bi***ing about it like people do today.
out cold

Atlanta, GA

#46 Aug 28, 2007
hey wrote:
<quoted text>If you're so concerned about this guy why don't you dig up his bones some night and clone a sample of his DNA with a donor chick in Sweden who's willing to do it for you and re-incarnate this monster ? Halloween is just around the corner .
and if i wanted you to bark.id of rattled your chain.
Buck You Fuddy

Jamestown, KY

#47 Sep 1, 2007
He has been dead 99 years? So how do you know he didn't get a trial. Hearsay that's 99 years old? Why do you even care. Because maybe he was a distant realative? I agree with Hey and that digging up thing was hilarious.
coondog

Russell Springs, KY

#48 Oct 16, 2007
I have now collected considerable information about the family of Elmer Hill and I have learned a lot about the crime and crime scene as well as court records and could name a lot of names but will not. Nearly 99 years is long enough for misinformation to be circulated. As Elmer Hill had no trial by a jury no one knows for sure about his crimes and his guilt. The fact is he was hung without a trial and his family has had to suffer along with the family of Nannie Womack. Many people would be shocked as to how closely related the two families were before and after the crime and the lynching. This will end my posting on this topic. My e-mail is posted but I don't mind to communicate face to face if someone has information that I don't have.
hallow

Mount Sherman, KY

#49 Oct 17, 2007
I was just looking for this post yesterday. I thought I had saw it before. Coondog you have alot of information on this subject. I had just always heard the story but in bits and pieces. You've put it together a little better. You know how stories go around Halloween and my kids were actually asking me about it. I didn't want to tell them wrong information. Thanks for your posts.
So You Know

Russell Springs, KY

#50 Oct 17, 2007
hallow wrote:
I was just looking for this post yesterday. I thought I had saw it before. Coondog you have alot of information on this subject. I had just always heard the story but in bits and pieces. You've put it together a little better. You know how stories go around Halloween and my kids were actually asking me about it. I didn't want to tell them wrong information. Thanks for your posts.
Coondog try looking into the back issues of the Kentucky Explorer Magazine,or possibly on the website www.kentuckyexplorer.com I have seen and read an article in one of the issues in last couple yrs.
It's very interesting.
who cares

Chatsworth, GA

#51 Oct 17, 2007
it was some of my kin the storie goes what my grandmother told me she was rape and killed they when to get him and hung him on now boat dock rd. the sun was coming up i have seen photos of it of the hanging so it not bs if we would do more of this today a lot less bs would go on
coondog

Russell Springs, KY

#52 Oct 18, 2007
the article in Ky Exployer is an exact repeat from two articles in the Adair co. news in 1908. The vicims name is wrong along with wrong dates. Elmer Hill's real name was probably Elmer Holt. Who cares, why don't we just all go back to carrying guns and shoot any one that offends us or don't look like we think they should.

I'm sure that by now everyone knows who I am so why not come forth and discuss the issues with me face to face?
knows

United States

#54 Oct 18, 2007
coondog wrote:
Elmer Hill was hung by a mob in Nov. of 1908. Does anyone have any info as to where he was buried, who his father was, or know someone who has info?
elmer was buried in dixion cemetery in the wooded area my grand mother and elmer was first cousins his father was ray regardless of all stories told elmer was guilty and the mob hanged him at the old oak tree there in bryan the barn and tree is no longer there ray told my grand mother that elmer had found some moon shine that old man kurt had hidden guess after drinking it he just flipped out a real bad thing to happen
who cares

Russell Springs, KY

#55 Oct 18, 2007
coondog you a dumb a$$ i will meet you face to face so if u ara a hill how is a holt kin to you you are talking out of our a$$
Elmer

Russell Springs, KY

#56 Oct 18, 2007
knows wrote:
<quoted text>elmer was buried in dixion cemetery in the wooded area my grand mother and elmer was first cousins his father was ray regardless of all stories told elmer was guilty and the mob hanged him at the old oak tree there in bryan the barn and tree is no longer there ray told my grand mother that elmer had found some moon shine that old man kurt had hidden guess after drinking it he just flipped out a real bad thing to happen
Elmer Hill was hung on Boat Dock Rd in Jamestown, not in Bryan. At the time it was the Jamestown - Monticello Rd. He is also supposed to be buried in the edge of the woods at the back end of the Jamestown City Cemetary. Elmer WAS NOT hanged in Bryan.
evert

United States

#57 Oct 19, 2007
Elmer wrote:
<quoted text>
Elmer Hill was hung on Boat Dock Rd in Jamestown, not in Bryan. At the time it was the Jamestown - Monticello Rd. He is also supposed to be buried in the edge of the woods at the back end of the Jamestown City Cemetary. Elmer WAS NOT hanged in Bryan.
beg your pardon it was at bryan and it can be proved where he is buried even then the truth was hidden to stop embarrasment to the familys aunt gertie is 98 years old and to day still has items pertaining to it believe it or not she still has the rope used to hang elmer there is proof of this
Contraire

Russell Springs, KY

#58 Oct 19, 2007
evert wrote:
<quoted text>beg your pardon it was at bryan and it can be proved where he is buried even then the truth was hidden to stop embarrasment to the familys aunt gertie is 98 years old and to day still has items pertaining to it believe it or not she still has the rope used to hang elmer there is proof of this
What proof ,you got video of him swinging LOL I talked to Jim Hardwick in 1967 who witnessed it when he was a kid in 1908 and he said it happened at a black oak tree right above the rock quarry below Timber Pointe on Boat Dock Rd.
knows

United States

#59 Oct 19, 2007
Contraire wrote:
<quoted text>What proof ,you got video of him swinging LOL I talked to Jim Hardwick in 1967 who witnessed it when he was a kid in 1908 and he said it happened at a black oak tree right above the rock quarry below Timber Pointe on Boat Dock Rd.
i want argue about this you are going on the word of some one who was a kid as for me i am going on the word of a 98 year old relative of elmers
Elmer

Russell Springs, KY

#60 Oct 20, 2007
evert wrote:
<quoted text>beg your pardon it was at bryan and it can be proved where he is buried even then the truth was hidden to stop embarrasment to the familys aunt gertie is 98 years old and to day still has items pertaining to it believe it or not she still has the rope used to hang elmer there is proof of this
I don't care what "Aunt Gertie" has, because you and her have got it wrong. He was hung on boat dock road next to timber point campground. His body was witnessed hanging there by many different people that day after sun up before someone finally cut him down.
Also it don't even make sense that they would have taken him all the way to Bryan to hang him. They took him out of the Monticello jail and boat dock road was the road to Monticello from here at that time. Even newspaper accounts placed the hanging there. As far as where he is buried I wouldn't argue that one but it was told to me by several different old timers here back in the 60's and 70's that he is buried in the edge of the woods behind the Jamestown cemetary. And as a kid many years ago I have seen a rock there just a few feet in the edge of the woods all by itself that is supposedly marking his grave. Course I never dug it up to make sure, but it did look like the kind of flat rocks that was commonly used to mark graves in those days and I do believe there is someone buried there. So why was no one else ever buried up in the edge of the woods with who ever is buried there? Why wasn't this person buried down in the mowed and maintained part of the cemetary with everyone else? Because Elmer committed a very brutal crime against a child, so brutal and awful that he was taken out of jail and hanged by an angry mob. And thats also why they buried him in the edge of the woods by himself away from everyone else and his grave was never cared for and the woods was allowed to swallow it up. No one wanted to be reminded of him and what he did.
just me

United States

#61 Oct 20, 2007
Elmer wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care what "Aunt Gertie" has, because you and her have got it wrong. He was hung on boat dock road next to timber point campground. His body was witnessed hanging there by many different people that day after sun up before someone finally cut him down.
Also it don't even make sense that they would have taken him all the way to Bryan to hang him. They took him out of the Monticello jail and boat dock road was the road to Monticello from here at that time. Even newspaper accounts placed the hanging there. As far as where he is buried I wouldn't argue that one but it was told to me by several different old timers here back in the 60's and 70's that he is buried in the edge of the woods behind the Jamestown cemetary. And as a kid many years ago I have seen a rock there just a few feet in the edge of the woods all by itself that is supposedly marking his grave. Course I never dug it up to make sure, but it did look like the kind of flat rocks that was commonly used to mark graves in those days and I do believe there is someone buried there. So why was no one else ever buried up in the edge of the woods with who ever is buried there? Why wasn't this person buried down in the mowed and maintained part of the cemetary with everyone else? Because Elmer committed a very brutal crime against a child, so brutal and awful that he was taken out of jail and hanged by an angry mob. And thats also why they buried him in the edge of the woods by himself away from everyone else and his grave was never cared for and the woods was allowed to swallow it up. No one wanted to be reminded of him and what he did.
what you wrote does make sense and is probally correct i have heard the bryan version before was his father named ezragoing from my info elmer has lots of distant relatives stil living in that bryan area
coondog

Russell Springs, KY

#62 Oct 20, 2007
If anyone wants to know facts as I have them and not hearsay, e-mail me at the address I have listed before and identify themselves and I will communicate in a civil manner. I will also repect and evaluate any information that any one has. I will not make public judgements about that information.

Since: Dec 06

Russell Springs, KY

#63 Oct 21, 2007
i found an old newspaper with all the info on that hanging and a large picture of it, i donated it to the russell county historical society , at the jamestown library ,they tell me its the best picture they have of it :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Russell Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr right 136,235
Anyone looking for a babysitter or someone to d... (Sep '12) 4 hr Up for hire 14
Debate: Gay Marriage - Russell Springs, KY (Jul '10) 6 hr boooots 35,758
Are ALL women bipolar??? (Jan '10) 6 hr just sayin 145
Tattoos 9 hr what 10
**Emergency*** 2 yr old dog tail cut off (Jan '10) 15 hr Lisa 31
jazzy (Nov '11) Sun Sidewinder 8
More from around the web

Russell Springs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]