Car overturns in crash, killing man

Car overturns in crash, killing man

There are 60 comments on the WKYT story from Apr 6, 2011, titled Car overturns in crash, killing man. In it, WKYT reports that:

An investigation is underway into a deadly crash in southern Kentucky. The crash happened just before 2 p.m. Tuesday on Highway 55, just south of Columbia in Adair County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WKYT.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
allen

Russell Springs, KY

#1 Apr 11, 2011
yeah,that was my 2nd cousin.I'd love to know what actually happened and exactly where it was at.Larry aws a great guy. you could never find any better of a person.Becky is gonna be lost now without him.I hope she doesnt feel responsible for the accident that would be an awful thing to have to deal with.
RIP Friend

Ocala, FL

#2 Apr 11, 2011
An investigation is underway into a deadly crash in southern Kentucky.

The crash happened just before 2 p.m. Tuesday on Highway 55, just south of Columbia in Adair County.

Police say 41-year-old Charles Caldwell, of Greensburg, was driving a Dodge southbound, when he tried to pass a Ford, driven by 51-year-old Rebecca West, of Russell Springs.

While trying to pass, police say Caldwell's car hit West's car in the rear.

Investigators say the impact caused West's car to overturn several times.

Police say a passenger in West's vehicle, 61-year-old Larry West, of Russell Springs, was ejected from the car, and later died at the hospital.

Rebecca West was airlifted to the University of Louisville Hospital.

Caldwell was treated and released at Westlake Regional Hospital.

This is no way Becky's fault. It was an impatient driver that was following too close to Becky & Larry's car and rear ended them, causing their car to crash. This was preventable if the other driver hadn't been in such a hurry and not paying attention. There are laws against following too close to any vehicle, cutting back in front of a vehicle to close. Thoughts and prayers go out to Larry's family & friends. He will be missed by all.
wondering

Elizabethtown, KY

#3 Apr 11, 2011
i was just wondering if they were doing a toxicology test on the caldwell guy heard he was quite a bit under the influence and that is such a shame that driving while high by someone that dont care has cost this poor innocent decent caring father and husband his life and he was just treated and released. just what would he think if it were his father or child
PeteI

Trinity, TX

#4 Apr 12, 2011
The driver was treated and released, so that leads me to believe there was no alcohol involved. The trooper working the case will do the right thing. The blood test should tell if the driver was impaired on something else. Give it time to play out. It may be that it was just an accident, although a very careless one. The driver will just not walk away if the test comes back positive. JMO.
RIP Friend

Ocala, FL

#5 Apr 12, 2011
Even if drugs and or alcohol wasn't involved, this driver was an idiot! He followed too close to the West vehicle, hit them in the rear trying to pass them, which caused the West vehicle to wreck. This was totally preventable. The man that hit the West vehicle should be held for manslaughter at the least, due to his irresponsible driving. If everyone would slow down, be responsible, look out for other vehicles and not follow too closely, try to pass in an unsafe zone, or cut people off, it would save a LOT OF LIVES! Now we have lost a great man, who was a husband, father, son, grandfather,teacher, and great friend to a lot of people who loved him and respected him. All of this over an idiot who wasn't driving within the limits of the law.
PeteI

Trinity, TX

#6 Apr 12, 2011
I agree. I hate driving the roads anymore. Too much speed and what I think is a real problem, inattention with cellphones, etc. This wreck should be thoroughly investigated as to the cause and if charges are warranted, they should be brought. Again, give it time to play out.
its sad

Leitchfield, KY

#7 Apr 12, 2011
but what i dont get is u all blame this guy for something that was going to happen no matter what and u all r bitching about laws what about seat belt law did ever think if he was wearing his he would not thrown out and probably would not killed
PeteI

Trinity, TX

#8 Apr 12, 2011
Read the report, both in the hit vehicle were belted. The driver that hit them was not belted. This is in reply to post 7. It would help if you would read the news report correctly.
RIP Friend

United States

#9 Apr 12, 2011
TO:its sad: Read the newspaper report also on the West vehicle, It states both Becky and Larry West were wearing seatbelts! If this driver that hit them wasn't impaired, then he is still at fault for following too closely, not passing in a safe manner, and causing the wreck by rearending them. It is a shame that the idiots that don't pay attention take lives of those who do follow the rules of the road! Be aware of all around you when you are driving or riding a motorcycle. Stupid drivers that are busy doing everything but paying attention, or are such a hurry that they are a menace on the roads. Remember, nothing is so important that you have to drive carelessly or speed that it causes a deadly accident!
its sad

Leitchfield, KY

#10 Apr 12, 2011
it was just his time to go no matter what . and to petel so what r u saying that the seat belt broke hummmmmmmmm dont think that's possible but of course they where driven a ford so i guess it could happen and u rip friend was u there cause i know i was and if that guy u call was drunk then dammmmm i must be to then . but oh well ppl always goin to blame somebody y dont u all blame GOD cause he the one that call him home
its sad

Leitchfield, KY

#11 Apr 12, 2011
hmmmmmmmmmmmm i dont see where it says that he was belted in the report
PeteI

Trinity, TX

#12 Apr 12, 2011
its sad wrote:
hmmmmmmmmmmmm i dont see where it says that he was belted in the report
Go to ColumbiaMagazine.com and find the article. It says both were belted.
PeteI

Trinity, TX

#13 Apr 12, 2011
Sorry, go to Campbellsville.com for info that says both were belted.
RIP Friend

United States

#14 Apr 12, 2011
TO:its sad, go to www.columbiamagazine.com and read the full report. Take the fact that the report said the car flipped over several times and the pressure of the body against the belt and the stress on the car it is possible to be ejected, maybe you ought to try for a crash dummy position, just to see how much stress the cars can take with the weight of a human body in those conditions. Yes, it was a preventable accident if the man that caused the wreck had been driving safely, and yes, God called a great man home. He is now an angel. We who knew him are all better for it. May he rest in peace and his family find peace knowing what a great son,father,husband,grandfather ,friend,and educator that he was, and how many lives he touched and are better for knowing Larry.
RIP Friend

United States

#15 Apr 12, 2011
TO:its sad, This is copy and pasted from columbia magazine:
Fatal collision occurs on KY 55 three miles north of Columbia, KY

Larry West, 61, Russell Springs, KY, is pronounced deceased at Westlake Regional Hospital; the driver Rebecca West, 51, was flown to the University Hospital of Louisville, KY; Charles Caldwell, 41, Greensburg, KY, the driver of the other vehicle treated and released at Westlake
----------

By TFC Billy Gregory, Public Affairs Officer
Kentucky State Police Post 15, Columbia, KY

Trooper Dewayne Holder is investigating a collision which occurred today, Tuesday, April 5, 2011, at 1:45pmCT, on Hwy 55, approximately 3 miles north of Columbia, KY.

Forty-one year old Charles Caldwell of Greensburg, KY, was operating a 2007 Dodge southbound on KY 55. Fifty-on year old Rebecca West, of Russell Springs, KY, was also southbound on KY 55, operating a 1997 Ford.
In an attempt to pass West, Caldwell struck West's vehicle in the rear, causing West's vehicle to overturn numerous times. A passenger in West's vehicle, Larry West, 61 years of age, of Russell Springs, KY, was ejected from the vehicle. Caldwell, who was not belted, was treated and released at the Westlake Regional Hospital.

Rebecca West was flown to the University Hospital of Louisville, KY. Larry West was pronounced deceased at Westlake Regional Hospital. Both parties in the West vehicle were belted.

READ THE LAST LINE, IT CLEARLY STATES BOTH PARTIES IN THE WEST VEHICLE WERE BELTED!
Sickens Me

Elizabethtown, KY

#16 Apr 12, 2011
PLEASE READ BELOW WHERE IT IS STATING CALDWELL NOT BELTED BOTH WEST AND PASSENGER WERE BELTED. PLEASE GROW UP ITS ALL A TRAGEDY THAT I HOPE NONE OF YOU DEADBEATS OR FAMILY HAS TO GO THROUGH STOP JUDGING EITHER FAMILY ITS HORRIBLE ON BOTH SIDES THATS WHY ITS CALLED A ACCIDENT. MOVE ON TO SOMEONE ELSE.

Fatal collision occurs on KY 55 three miles north of Columbia, KY

Larry West, 61, Russell Springs, KY, is pronounced deceased at Westlake Regional Hospital; the driver Rebecca West, 51, was flown to the University Hospital of Louisville, KY; Charles Caldwell, 41, Greensburg, KY, the driver of the other vehicle treated and released at Westlake
----------

By TFC Billy Gregory, Public Affairs Officer
Kentucky State Police Post 15, Columbia, KY

Trooper Dewayne Holder is investigating a collision which occurred today, Tuesday, April 5, 2011, at 1:45pmCT, on Hwy 55, approximately 3 miles north of Columbia, KY.

Forty-one year old Charles Caldwell of Greensburg, KY, was operating a 2007 Dodge southbound on KY 55. Fifty-on year old Rebecca West, of Russell Springs, KY, was also southbound on KY 55, operating a 1997 Ford.
In an attempt to pass West, Caldwell struck West's vehicle in the rear, causing West's vehicle to overturn numerous times. A passenger in West's vehicle, Larry West, 61 years of age, of Russell Springs, KY, was ejected from the vehicle. Caldwell, who was not belted, was treated and released at the Westlake Regional Hospital.

Rebecca West was flown to the University Hospital of Louisville, KY. Larry West was pronounced deceased at Westlake Regional Hospital. Both parties in the West vehicle were belted.
its sad

Leitchfield, KY

#17 Apr 12, 2011
OK i was wrong. but still no one is to blame either party it,s just sad that ppl likes to point and say oh they r to blame but still they r goin to do it. no matter what but like i said be4 it was just his time to go end of point cause no matter what one dam thing 4 sure is your not goin leave this world alive
RIP Friend

United States

#18 Apr 12, 2011
TO:Sickens Me & its sad;
This was a preventable accident. Obviously, The vehicle that hit the West's car, rearended the West's car, causing them to flip over several times is at fault. He was too close to the West's car and obviously not in control of his vehicle since it was his fault.
its sad

Leitchfield, KY

#19 Apr 12, 2011
just maybe they where driven to slow
MOM

Louisville, KY

#20 Apr 12, 2011
QUOTE who="allen"yeah,that was my 2nd cousin.I'd love to know what actually happened and exactly where it was at.Larry aws a great guy. you could never find any better of a person.Becky is gonna be lost now without him.I hope she doesnt feel responsible for the accident that would be an awful thing to have to deal with./QUOTE

I am very sorry about your cousin. My prayers are with you are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Russell Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Teresa Neathery at .... wait does she work (Nov '08) 9 min Wantin it 18
Dana Bell & Michael Crabtree 12 min Wantin it 35
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 20 min ChromiuMan 159,635
Sundowner (Nov '09) 2 hr ramrod 55
Trumpcare-Obamacare=No Care 17 hr sunshine 10
Please help find Christopher Gregory (Jan '08) Sat Hope 122
byron craig (Aug '08) Sat JayTee 8

Russell Springs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Russell Springs Mortgages