is tantus tobacco going out

is tantus tobacco going out

Posted in the Russell Springs Forum

hmmm

Jamestown, KY

#1 Aug 26, 2012
I heard Tantus is going out of bussiness is this true or just another Russell co rumor?
hmm

Big Clifty, KY

#2 Aug 26, 2012
well here we go again no Tantus is not going out of business they are going strong. Just another factory rumor!!!
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMhM MMmm

Elizabethtown, KY

#3 Aug 26, 2012
Ok I dont know if they are going out but I do know that some people that work there say they have not been getting 40 hrs
Drill Here

Russell Springs, KY

#4 Aug 27, 2012
Holy Moly!
If every company that had some employees that didn't get 40 hours every week were going out of business - well - we wouldn't have many businesses around anymore.

Or? Were you just trying to start a bunch of bs???
in the know

Brownsville, TN

#8 Sep 4, 2012
Burke co-defendant Benham sentenced to prison on tobacco-tax scheme
by PATSY R. BRUMFIELD Djournal.Com
1 month ago | 1245 views | 0 | 8 ||

slideshow OXFORD – Randy Benham, part of the first wave of arrests in area tobacco raids more than three years ago, was sentenced to federal prison today.

Benham, 46, will turn himself in to a federal prison Aug. 20 to begin serving 12 months, plus one day on a three-count guilty plea he entered in late 2009.

Benham of Cordova, Tenn., was charged with Tupelo’s Jerry Burke, 70, for a scheme to defraud the United States, the state of Mississippi and other states, and the National Association of Attorneys General of millions of dollars in taxes and fees due from the unlawful distribution of tobacco products.

He also was ordered to three years supervised release after his prison sentence is completed.

He wasn’t fined due to “financial inability,” the government said, but he was ordered to pay $25,000 restitution to the state of South Carolina, where the tobacco taxes were owed.

Benham and Burke’s multi-state scheme also included money laundering and lying about monthly tobacco reports.

Each of them faced up to 20 years in prison and $750,000 fines.

Burke has been in prison since 2011 to serve a 34-month sentence and is due to be released in about a year.

He forfeited $1.37 million, a vehicle and an airplane to the government.

The pair operated out of Globe Wholesale in downtown Tupelo and hid untaxed cigarette sales to avoid more than $20 million to state and federal taxing agencies.

Their facilites were raided in the spring of 2009 and months later the Mississippi Auditor’s Office and federal agencies auctioned off the confiscated tobacco products.

Since then, the Northern Mississippi U.S. Attorney’s Office has charged at least a dozen others with participation in various other similar tobacco-tax avoidance schemes.

Some defendants pleaded guilty while others await further prosecution.

The U.S. Bureau of Prisons will determine where Benham spends his prison time. Burke is in a Montgomery, Ala., facility.

Read more: djournal.com - Burke co defendant Benham sentenced to prison on tobacco tax scheme

Tantus probably won't but the owner and lawyer will be going to jail - they fall under the "yet to be prosecuted" category
observer

Russell Springs, KY

#11 Sep 15, 2012
hmm wrote:
well here we go again no Tantus is not going out of business they are going strong. Just another factory rumor!!!
Well, sales were apparently brisk:
http://lakercountry.com/2012/09/13/local-busi...
never

Russell Springs, KY

#13 Nov 3, 2012
hmmm wrote:
I heard Tantus is going out of bussiness is this true or just another Russell co rumor?
It can not go out of business the R S City Council has secured all jobs no worry,go back to sleep.
hiring

Greensburg, KY

#16 Mar 31, 2013
does anyone know if they are hiring now?
jodie

Atkinson, NH

#17 Apr 27, 2013
observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, sales were apparently brisk:
http://lakercountry.com/2012/09/13/local-busi...
My Retailer in NH, is no longer carrying Bacco pipe tobacco, a Tantus Tobacco Product. Unable to contact Tantus by phone. Has this company actually now gone out of Business?
Unreal

Glasgow, KY

#18 Apr 29, 2013
jodie wrote:
<quoted text>
My Retailer in NH, is no longer carrying Bacco pipe tobacco, a Tantus Tobacco Product. Unable to contact Tantus by phone. Has this company actually now gone out of Business?
Still in business. Going strong.
jodie

Atkinson, NH

#19 May 3, 2013
I LOVE Bacco tobacco and can no longer get it here in any of our Tobacco stores. Stores say because not making it. HOW can I find out where to get it. Tried Tantus website and phone number does not work!
Curious

Albany, KY

#20 May 4, 2013
Why.
hiring

Lexington, KY

#22 Jul 24, 2013
Are they hiring?
Nope

Russell Springs, KY

#23 Jul 28, 2013
They are not hiring. At least 22 employees were permanently laid off 2 weeks ago.
work

Elizabethtown, KY

#24 Jan 9, 2014
Are they hiring does anyone know?
midnighttoker

United States

#25 Jan 10, 2014
Lets hope it goes outta biz
Lulu

Russell Springs, KY

#26 Jan 10, 2014
I work there have for some time now no it's not going out of biz yes there was a huge lay off no I was not in it and there was a time that we weren't even getting 40 hrs a week but the rough patch is over they have called back at least 6-7 people from the lay off and even hired in a few more we have even been getting some over time as far as anything else Idk all I know is I'm glad I still get a pay check.
so glad

Philpot, KY

#28 Aug 14, 2014
Any new news on this?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Russell Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 31 min USA 164,666
buy pot with EBT card 1 hr watcher 1
Sundowner 5 hr zzz 1
hristopher steven little 5 hr zzz 6
Adam & Apple Jacks Studio 15 hr tats 2
What Classmate did you fantasize about in High ... Fri big baller 7
Landon Helm Thu Fairy 25

Russell Springs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance