Walmart closing after xmas.

Posted in the Rushville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
turdburgler

Glenview, IL

#1 Aug 22, 2012
Has anyone else heard if all the small walmarts are closing after xmas. Rumor has that only the super walmarts are goin exist, due to old ones needing remodeled. Also not making huge capital to stay in business. This is what ive heard few times. Sure is a shame that walmart might close. Sam walton would be pissed.
jones

Gilman, IL

#2 Aug 22, 2012
I have heard Wal Mart is planning expansions of many Smaller Wal Marts. That would explain the closing rumor as they replace small ones with larger ones.
post HO digger

Elmwood Park, IL

#4 Aug 22, 2012
Lmmfao!
Pipe Dreams

Chicago, IL

#5 Aug 22, 2012
Crap, now where am I supposed to park to watch fireworks on the 4th?!
Lambypie

Osgood, IN

#6 Aug 22, 2012
Why on earth would they close it? I'm sure a lot of people go to the Super Walmarts because they can't afford to shop at Kroger anymore, but you never go to the local Walmart when there aren't a lot of cars there. And the pharmacy makes enough money to cover the rent every month. Got that info from an employee.
Blah

Connersville, IN

#7 Aug 22, 2012
Last 4 years we have gotten rumors the Walmart will close after Christmas. And last 4 years it has stayed open. I think some people just have nothing better to do then to start rumors. Walmart closes then what's left of Rushville will go down the shit hole. True that it doesn't have a huge selection but it has more then what any other store in town has. If they close then everybody would have to drive to a surrounding town for 80 percent of the stuff, and the other 20 percent will have to pay 5 or more dollars per item at Kroger (or seems like). I wouldn't pay much attention to this rumor.. again.
...doesn't that suck

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Aug 22, 2012
One can only hope that ALL Wal-Marts will close after Christmas! It is an EVIL empire! Shopping here = sending your money and jobs overseas! Keep your spending local and contribute to small business and local economy instead of being bought by evil "low low prices"! Low prices come at a high cost! Look at all the local/family businesses that have died in the small community of Rushville...don't you think it's possible that Wal-Mart and Corporate America could have contributed to the disintegration of this town, and many other small towns across the country? Think beyond your pocketbook people! You can find bargains without selling your soul in the process!
post HO digger

Elmwood Park, IL

#9 Aug 22, 2012
Who remembers 3D? Who remembers Clancy's?
Blah

Connersville, IN

#10 Aug 22, 2012
Find bargains in this town? HA! Only way you going to find bargains is if you have enough money to spend a LOT of gas to go elsewhere. Also all money going overseas? That's walmart's fault? Walmart is a USA based company. They don't manufacture their stuff they just sell it, the same as with most other stores. Blame the manufacturers for that and not the store. Target, Kmart, all other stores get the same or mostly the same products as walmart. As for the smaller stores closing I agree somewhat with, but remember, if people shopped at these smaller stores when they were open then they would still be open. Again not the full fault of Walmart or another store that gets accused of shutting another store down. So lesson in point, if you want a store to stay open SHOP THERE! Don't wait til it closes then blame another store for it. The customers keep a place open, not another business.
boom

Connersville, IN

#11 Aug 22, 2012
post HO digger wrote:
they were both gone before walmart was here.
Just another lemming...

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Aug 22, 2012
Blah wrote:
Find bargains in this town? HA! Only way you going to find bargains is if you have enough money to spend a LOT of gas to go elsewhere. Also all money going overseas? That's walmart's fault? Walmart is a USA based company. They don't manufacture their stuff they just sell it, the same as with most other stores. Blame the manufacturers for that and not the store. Target, Kmart, all other stores get the same or mostly the same products as walmart. As for the smaller stores closing I agree somewhat with, but remember, if people shopped at these smaller stores when they were open then they would still be open. Again not the full fault of Walmart or another store that gets accused of shutting another store down. So lesson in point, if you want a store to stay open SHOP THERE! Don't wait til it closes then blame another store for it. The customers keep a place open, not another business.
Funny thing is that I do remember the town BEFORE Wal-Mart settled in...and people DID shop at hometown stores and contribute to local economy BEFORE Wal-Mart. And I don't blame manufacturers, I blame Wal-Mart for using American funds to bully out small American businesses, while ensuring that the foreign businesses where they purchase goods reap the "rewards". Small businesses cannot use slave-labor to produce goods in America, and small businesses can't afford bulk pricing that Wal-Mart can offer due to their Faustian bargains to monopolize American consumerism...making it impossible for a "mom & pop shop" to compete. Call it Wal-Mart, Target, Kmart, the Roman Empire...whatever - it's all part of Corporate America's model for coemption, and the results are the same! So lesson in point, big business equals big loss for small communities...and careless, uninformed consumers will follow a discount like the pied piper - right over the edge of a cliff! And then they will, apparently, defend those that took them to that place rather than recognize the problem and become part of the solution! You are welcome to believe what you like...and shop where you like. Wal-Mart, and other similar businesses are counting on the fact that you will stay blind to these revelations and continue to open your wallet to them! Just another lemming...

PS...Visit the site below, and others like it, to see that educated minds seems to think alike on this topic. Educate yourself, or be a victim! The choice is yours to make!

http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2003/3046wal...
nobody

Morristown, IN

#13 Aug 22, 2012
post HO digger wrote:
I DO! I DO! I DO!!!!!!
post HO digger

Elmwood Park, IL

#15 Aug 22, 2012
Yea, I believe 3D closed when I was in 5th or 6th grade. Clancy's was still there when I left in '87. What about Miller's drive in? I loved their tenderloin and onion ring basket.
just a thought

Elmhurst, IL

#16 Aug 22, 2012
Wal mart at one time ( when sam walton was still alive ) would sell mostly products made in the US.
really

Sherman, IL

#17 Aug 22, 2012
Just another lemming...I hope everyone on topix took the time to read what Lauroche had to say. My thoughts have always been that WalMart is a disease and that there is no vaccine to destroy it or any anti-biotic to control it. We are our own worst enemies...always looking for a bargain...even tho most of the bargains turn out to be cheap junk and in the process we close store after store that can't compete.
Just another lemming...

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Aug 22, 2012
post HO digger wrote:
I remember 3D...and then the Big Lots that took it's place for many years after...
gretchen

Connersville, IN

#19 Aug 22, 2012
what stores closed due to Wal
mart?
Blah

Connersville, IN

#20 Aug 22, 2012
Apparently every store closes because Walmart. I'm sure Walmart was the reason that Marsh closed. Doesn't matter if Walmart barely has groceries, its still Walmart's fault. I'm sure Kroger had nothing to do with it.
Just another lemming...

Indianapolis, IN

#21 Aug 22, 2012
gretchen wrote:
what stores closed due to Wal
mart?
Since you vacuously asked that question...I somehow doubt you will actually take the time to fully read this article. However, on the off-chance that I am mistaken, the link below offers a listing chock full of recognizable companies and brands that have been negatively affected in the last 10-20 years alone. And what is more shocking is the number of jobs lost to Americans due to our own compulsion as a society to seek a bargain. Bargained ourselves right out of THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of jobs - and we keep going back daily/weekly shopping for more unemployment!

This is a problem in towns and cities across the nation - and the impact stretches to global proportions! Anyway...please read if you are truly interested in facts about Wal-Mart's impact on American businesses and consumers.

http://www.fastcompany.com/47593/wal-mart-you...
Just another lemming...

Indianapolis, IN

#22 Aug 22, 2012
Blah wrote:
Apparently every store closes because Walmart. I'm sure Walmart was the reason that Marsh closed. Doesn't matter if Walmart barely has groceries, its still Walmart's fault. I'm sure Kroger had nothing to do with it.
In the case of Marsh, it did not close solely because of Wal-Mart...but Wal-Mart is a contributing factor. Competition, in general, plus issues with company ownership/leadership, and struggling business strategies played a part. Plus, I am certain that Rushville's "decision makers" may have saw an opportunity to develop a long-term agreement with a company (like Save-A-Lot) that is actually slated to be around for a while. Marsh is on a decline that started quite some time ago and took dramatic turns in 2006 with change of ownership. It is uncertain if the Marsh brand will last another year - let alone 10 years. Rushville may be lucky to have landed a different grocer in that lot space.

Check out what IBJ (Indiana Business Journal) had to say about this company, and it's closures that affected Rushville, Shelbyville, AND Connersville.(Also note Wal-Mart is mentioned as a contributing factor to Marsh closures.)

http://www.ibj.com/marsh-in-shelbyville-among...

I know it's hard to imagine...but these issues ACTUALLY DO affect places OTHER THAN just Rushville...so you may want to expand your thought process beyond Rushville's city limit...rather than placing your snide remarks and blame to Kroger, and denying that your precious Wal-Mart could actually be harmful.

Just a thought. Have you had one of those recently that actually dealt on a scale larger than your hometown borders?

People who do not think their decisions impact anyone but themselves are destined to doom the rest of us...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rushville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bark Park 10 hr Possible New loca... 21
AIDS outbreak in Scott Co. is Rush Co. next? 10 hr Steve 9
As Predicted, Mays School to Close 22 hr Curious 101
Is Freedom of Religion act the right thing yo do?? Fri sammy 4
Wind Turbines Thu not a fan 10
Poll Who do you think Jim Cowan will pick for his Ch... Mar 26 NOT a neuman 34
michigan religious right drs refuse homosexuals Mar 26 Concerned 2
Rushville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web