Marsh is closing in December

Posted in the Rushville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
sad to hear

Ozone Park, NY

#1 Nov 5, 2010
I will admit that I don't get around very much but I didn't know our Marsh store was closing for good. This news website in Connersville says it is, when you are near the end of the story you'll see it.

www.towncow.com/node/506

I hate to hear that. How many more stores in Rushville will end up going out of business before the economy turns around, that is if it ever does get turn around.
former resident

Kansas City, MO

#2 Nov 5, 2010
When the economy was booming, businesses were closing in Rushville. These Rushville people just refuse to shop in Rushville, with the results being all the empty storefronts you see in Rushville today. The Marsh store will soon join them as just another empty storefront in Rushville. Just go over to the Super Wal-Mart in Greensburg. You'll see scores of Rushville people spending their money there instead of Rushville. And Rushville has an ECDC office? Heck, Rushville can't even keep the businesses it has much less attract new ones. This Rushville is a joke.
Marcus Meriweather

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Nov 5, 2010
This is not surprising. Rushville residents wouldn't support a Dominos Pizza, a Bailey's True Value Hardware Store, A Big Lots store, a Burger King, a Little Caesars Pizza, a Big Blue farm supply store, and the list goes on and on of former Rushville businesses that locals refused to shop. Why Mark Osborne puts in all those hours on an empty Main Street at his Radio Shack is anybody's guess. Marsh Supermarket is just another in a long list of Rushville business casualties due to the locals abandoning local businesses. It's sad the way Rushville has gone downhill the last several years.
local

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Nov 6, 2010
Mark Osborne should be applauded. Thank you Mark FOR staying open in Rushville.
vast wasteland

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Nov 6, 2010
With all the time and effort Mark Osborne puts into his Radio Shack store, we all know that Mark would do so much better financially (and be so better appreciated) in practically any town other than Rushville. Norm Copple was lucky he found Mark Osborne to buy his former Radio Shack store. Otherwise Norm would have held a going out of business sale with the results being yet another empty building on Rushville's main street.
Herman Cain

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Nov 7, 2010
This Marsh Supermarket closing just about kills any chance of a Super Walmart opening in Rushville. Why would Walmart executives invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in a Super Walmart in Rushville when hundreds of Rushville citizens are more than willing to travel to Greensburg or Shelbyville to shop at their Super Walmarts? It would be a waste of Walmart money to invest any additional revenue in Rushville. And it's clear that it's a waste of Marsh Supermarket money to continue investing in Rushville.
kroger is next to go

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Nov 17, 2010
With Marsh closing down, I can't see that little strip center lasting much longer. As a result of Marsh closing, those other stores will eventually wither away on the vine. It'll be Rushville's first boarded up strip center. Sort of like Rushville's boarded up downtown area.
Walter

United States

#8 Nov 17, 2010
So the new Goodwill will shutter? the New Aarons will Shutter? The new Fiesta Hair will Shutter? The incoming grocery that just signed a long term lease with the strip mall will never open? You are just plain silly.
Bleh

Woodridge, IL

#9 Nov 18, 2010
Yes marsk is closing down not because of buisness trouble, but because they didnt want to agree to the lease terms. i know this for a fact. and also when marsh does close, save a lot will be taking it. so no it wont be empty.
Kim

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Nov 19, 2010
marsk is closing? There hasn't been any announcement about a marsk closing.

Now what is closing is Marsh Supermarket in Rushville. The reason? The profits for the Rushville store have shrunk to the point that the cost of doing business in Rushville will exceed the Rushville Marsh store's dwindling profits in the not so distant future. You can't stay in business for very long when costs exceed profits. That's why Marsh is leaving Rushville and why so many other businesses have left Rushville.

There's no getting around it: Rushville is a dying town. Marsh Supermarket executives know it and is why they are high tailing it out of town.
Walter

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#11 Nov 19, 2010
Read the previous posts about the real reason it is closing. Or better yet, call the strip mall owner.
tumblin tumbleweeds

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Nov 20, 2010
Another one bites the dust. Yes, another long-time business is outta here - outta Rushville. What is wrong with these Rushvillains? Why do they turn their backs on local retailers? How much longer will Curtis Bros. Furniture, Rushville Pharmacy, Kroger, all with over 50 years of continuous service to Rushville, be able to stay afloat with all of these Rushville turncoats? You Rushvillains have managed to kick so many fine businesses out of town throughout the years, why would any businessman in his right mind want to put up with all the misery of locating a retail business in Rushville?
Paving Company

United States

#13 Nov 20, 2010
They wouldn't.
It's a pit.
Kurt

Pasadena, MD

#14 Nov 24, 2010
But then on the other hand the city gives one businessman a free 10 year lease with no property tax, builds him a parking lot,turns two blocks of street into one way only while other businesses go under.With this sort of misaligned thinking it's a wonder that this town has any businesses left.
Mark W Sloan

Chicago, IL

#15 Nov 24, 2010
Kurt wrote:
But then on the other hand the city gives one businessman a free 10 year lease with no property tax, builds him a parking lot,turns two blocks of street into one way only while other businesses go under.With this sort of misaligned thinking it's a wonder that this town has any businesses left.
Very happy to see that the City & Planning Commissioner are getting the ball rolling on completing the Park Restaurant rebuilding project. This will be great for all but a handful of disgruntled, and truly "misaligned" Rush County citizens. And for all the morons who continue to blame the city for losing Marsh, I'll try to put it as simply as I can so you hopefully can comprehend it. It was a business decision by the owner of the shopping center. It was in his best interest to sign a 10 year lease with an anchor tenant, rather than a 1 year lease with a company (Marsh) that may not be around in another year. The Marsh family sold out, and the buyer is getting "buyers remorse" (that means they're sorry they bought it). No one in the city administration, ECDC, or Chamber could have prevented this. And for those who still believe it's "Rushville's fault" I'm sorry, but I can't make it any easier to understand.
Long time listener

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#16 Nov 24, 2010
So Mark you are siding with Todd and Merv who are violating County rules over the local neighbors who are having to endure more encroachment on their property and lives just because you miss the biscuits and gravy? I would have thought you would have more sympathy for the average property owner who are seeing their property values and quality of life drop without due process.
Mark W Sloan

Chicago, IL

#17 Nov 24, 2010
LOL-encroaching on your property, and property values, and quality of life dropping? You don't live on Main Street! The Park Restaurant was there for 100 years. Rebuilding it in the same area within the city park won't change the way it's been in that neighborhood for the past century. I'm siding with the many Park Restaurant fans who live here now, or grew up here, and still look forward to eating there when they visit. The Park Restaurant is something we all can look at with pride in this community. The 2, or 3 "average property owners" involved in the temporary shutdown of the rebuilding efforts should be ashamed of themselves, and apologize to the many patrons who have been waiting for it to reopen. I would think the property values are being hurt more by a local business headquartered in that residential neighborhood with big unsightly trucks.
Jonesy

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Nov 24, 2010
Mark W Sloan wrote:
It was in his best interest to sign a 10 year lease with an anchor tenant, rather than a 1 year lease with a company (Marsh) that may not be around in another year. The Marsh family sold out, and the buyer is getting "buyers remorse" (that means they're sorry they bought it).
Mark, you've been listening to more of those Rushville rumors down at that there donut shop, haven't you? There is no "buyers remorse" but in fact, Marsh is updating many of their existing stores and is in a growth mode - a growth mode in towns that are actually growing, which is not the case for Rushville. Just open the following link and read the news report:
http://www.towncow.com/node/506
Mark, you have to quit believing these Rushville rumors. You're starting to sound like a fool.
Mark W Sloan

Chicago, IL

#19 Nov 24, 2010
Well Jonesy, if I was using "Towncow" a Connersville blog website as my source for a "news report" I wouldn't have the nerve to say someone else sounded like a fool. You must use Wikipedia as your go to infallible reference center, lol. For your info the Marsh family sold the company to a private equity fund called Sun Capital Partners in 2006 for $325 million. They returned the company to profability by closing unprofitable locations, and brands like Lo-Bill. Our store was changed back into a Marsh Supermarket-if it wasn't profitable it would have been closed already. Anyway, taking a chance that you can conceivably comprehend how a private equity fund does business (think Gordon Gekko), after returning the company to profitability they are done with it. They want to sell it, and in fact have been attempting to do so for about a year. Part of the process is eliminating the Marsh name as your impeccable source states. But to say they're in a "growth mode" is completely inaccurate, at least until a buyer is found. And without longterm leases on all of the 102 remaining stores the Marsh investment is easier to sell. I was in the financial industry for over 22 years, and believe I might know a little bit more about corporate strategy than you do.
Long Time Listener

United States

#20 Nov 24, 2010
And that would be fine if they were building it back the way it was before the fire and not increasing seating capacity by almost half. Besides, read the Republican, Todd admitted it was shut down because of him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rushville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Carrie Pool daycare provider 8 hr helping hand 1
Rushville Republican (Mar '17) Sep '17 Whatisee 5
Shed/Garage Break Ins Sep '17 slackerman69 1
additional tax appropriations Aug '17 The Egregious One 5
internet Aug '17 Jumbo 2
calling all bikers Aug '17 all bikers 1
News 7 month investigation leads to arrest (Jun '11) May '17 The Anti-Connersv... 13

Rushville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rushville Mortgages