Farmgirl

Princeton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2012

Are any other parents concerned with the quality of food our children are being served at school. Mrs. Obama, not exactly a prime example of fitness, thinks all our kids eat are Ho Hos and soft drinks. The lunch picture I saw was atrocious. Try some green veggies, not wilted iceberg lettuce. And if they are served mac and cheesee, at least give them real cheese!! Where is the big color wheel of nutrient rich foods our kids are supposed to eat? I doubt my old hound dog would eat the stuff they were served. The licensed personel making these meals has had plenty of time to come up with menus that are edible and met the guidelines. Go Michelle Go!!!!
Concerned

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2012

You think its bad now...this is only the beginning! If Obama gets back in we will all be in trouble. Washington will be doing more than telling our kids what to eat! Heaven help us all!!!
Farmgirl

Princeton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2012

Concerned wrote:
You think its bad now...this is only the beginning! If Obama gets back in we will all be in trouble. Washington will be doing more than telling our kids what to eat! Heaven help us all!!!
You are pprobably right!!
unknown

Lewisburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2012

I agree concerned,we're gonna be totally screw if he gets back in there.
honest abe

Lewisburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2012

well i for one am just as concerned as well..we all should be..the obama's are worthless on the hill!!!!!!..VOTE ROMNEY..and lets all do our part to get the crap out of the white house....call fox 59..and get the word out we are nt putting up with this garbage..
come on

Saint Albans, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

come on guys it was one lunch that they served that was bs. the rest of the days were good portions with meat. i agree the days were they just get mac cheese and fruit was crazy. but the other days are just fine just pack your kids somthing on that day.
exit sign

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Judged:

If you are that concerned about what your child eats, then pack it. Did you ever stop to think that maybe the kid is picky and this picture floating around was taken to stir the sh*t pot? And just for your info its not Mrs. Obama regulating school lunches shes just encouraging kids to be active. Do you want your kids to be over weight? Wow proper portions i encourage and if you are so dependent on your kid eating at school.. do you not cook for them at all? I would feel so sorry for your kids. If you are that freaking worried why not take the time to sit with your kids during lunch or are you too lazy? Im tired of people b*tching and not doing anything about it. GO to the school board if you are that upset. COMMON SENSE PEOPLE. LETS USE IT TODAY.
Farmgirl

Princeton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Judged:

come on wrote:
come on guys it was one lunch that they served that was bs. the rest of the days were good portions with meat. i agree the days were they just get mac cheese and fruit was crazy. but the other days are just fine just pack your kids somthing on that day.
One day can be pretty important to a 35lb kid, that left home after a nutrient rich breakfast, parents ezpecting a balanced lunch before returning home at 4 pm. There are considerations like blood glucose levels, lethargy, lack of concentration and on and on. Not all West Virginians allow their children to sit on the couch watching tv or play video games and many are quite cognizant and determined to feed healthy meals. So, yes, one day does make a difference when you are entrusting your child to those that are paid to teach, supervise and take the best possible care of your child, whether that be one hour or a whole year. If you could anticipate what days were going to be good meals or bad meals, you'd not be worrying about your child in a public environment. Packing a lunch is not the issue. It is all about expectations that your child is going to be cared by professinals to the best of their ability. I just don't like the inference that the parents are dropping the ball somehow because of inadequate foods served in the school. Many of us take our children's education, health and well being at 100% levels. Don't condescend!
Farmgirl

Princeton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

exit sign wrote:
If you are that concerned about what your child eats, then pack it. Did you ever stop to think that maybe the kid is picky and this picture floating around was taken to stir the sh*t pot? And just for your info its not Mrs. Obama regulating school lunches shes just encouraging kids to be active. Do you want your kids to be over weight? Wow proper portions i encourage and if you are so dependent on your kid eating at school.. do you not cook for them at all? I would feel so sorry for your kids. If you are that freaking worried why not take the time to sit with your kids during lunch or are you too lazy? Im tired of people b*tching and not doing anything about it. GO to the school board if you are that upset. COMMON SENSE PEOPLE. LETS USE IT TODAY.
It would be pretty hard to sit down and have lunch with your child when you are WORKING t a job that doesn't give you an hour lunch break to go supervise your child at school. It would be rather difficult to present it to the Board as school has just convened and the issue has just arisen. I'm more concerned with this food and the child that is UNDER weight because of a chronic illness or medical condition. You can't make such strong generalizations without knowing the facts.Portion control is vital for the chronically ill child or the one with a lifetime ailment. Would you kick them to the curb and deny them an education and the right to a decent meal?? That is as much common sense as this old woman can gain.
Concerned

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

exit sign wrote:
. The Board of Education is simply following federal school lunch regulations. So yes the federal government does play a part of what types of food our children are being served! Its not about portions its about the lack of choices they are given .
i concur with exit

Lewisburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2012

Packing lunches seems more of a better idea if you are that concerned. YOU as a PARENT can then regulate what your child eats that way. And if you are working you really dont have an excuse not to afford a packed lunch, right? Because im sure you will be quick to jump my throat because you are working. And yes, common sense. Topix lacks that sadly.
Farmgirl

Princeton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2012

I sorry but I really don't get your point, but that's ok. I do not have a child in school. I'm retired. I did work for a period of time probably longer than you've been alive. I'm concerned for all children. If you do or don't work,that is your business.I've been a working mother, a stay at home mother and now a grandmother. I would not jump down your throat for your opinion.I'm just saying if the government is going to dictate what is served in the schools, which they do by fed regs, then it should be nutrient sound.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Rupert Forum right now

Search the Rupert Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 29 min George 53,896
Ashley winnings 1 hr this is the thing 2
Lisa winnings 2 hr Truth 41
Kayla 2 hr whitetrash 15
Do Mexicans really work hard? (Aug '12) 2 hr Got runs 63
festival today 2 hr Missedit2 2
Grb East Basketball 3 hr Run for your life 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Rupert Jobs

•••