Little Bear Fire victims won't get he...

Little Bear Fire victims won't get help from FEMA

There are 23 comments on the Ruidoso News story from Jul 24, 2012, titled Little Bear Fire victims won't get help from FEMA. In it, Ruidoso News reports that:

Owners of property damaged or destroyed by last month's Little Bear Fire will not find any help from the Federal Emergency Management Agency .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ruidoso News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
reality

Ruidoso, NM

#1 Jul 25, 2012
So we finally get a number of 9 primary residences that were uninsured. And how much money is being donated or raised for the survivors??? Maybe it is time to get on and back to supporting our local charity groups that provide so much needed services.
Donating

Nogal, NM

#2 Jul 26, 2012
Is Debi Lee donating her entire raise to help the village attorney rebuild his home? After all, doesn't she "OWE" him for protecting her legal interests?
oladcock

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Jul 26, 2012
9 is a lot less than I expected. Local charities is where it should come from....O.L.
Tax exhausted

Nogal, NM

#4 Jul 27, 2012
Since Lincoln County is raising money for Hubbard to pay his Racino Taxes, isn't there a way to divert these funds to well deserving people instead?
I would stop my boycotting in a heartbeat if this could be done!
Jaw Dropper

Alto, NM

#5 Jul 28, 2012
I was at the county commission meeting Thursday when chairwoman Sedillo said she had contemplated sending a letter to Mr. Hubbard asking him to voluntarily forego his tax for one year to help our community and those affected by the fire. My jaw dropped! I couldn't believe it. I hope this is put on their agenda next month so an official letter can be sent. Wonder if the Free Press or Ruidoso News will cover her comments??

P.S. I think Mr. Hubbard and his track need all the good will they can muster right now with all the Mexican drug cartel and horse doping going on.
Facts

Ruidoso, NM

#6 Jul 28, 2012
The problem with this is the track does not actually recieve the money. The state deducts the GRT collected for this specific purpose from the taxes due on the slot machine net win at the casino. The tax dollars cannot be used for anything else so the state cannot send any money directly to the county.

The fact that we have County Commissioners that do not know how anything actually works in the county or the state is a lot of the problem that we have.

It was either grandstanding or ignorance that prompted her to make such a statement.
RuiRes

Ruidoso, NM

#7 Jul 28, 2012
Facts wrote:
The problem with this is the track does not actually recieve the money. The state deducts the GRT collected for this specific purpose from the taxes due on the slot machine net win at the casino. The tax dollars cannot be used for anything else so the state cannot send any money directly to the county.
The solution seems rather simple: Mr. Hubbard opens checkbook, Mr. Hubbard writes check.
Facts

Ruidoso, NM

#8 Jul 28, 2012
He already writes a check each year to keep the track open and 400 people employed. Maybe you should do your part and write a check to help this county in someway or even any way.

Maybe the Ranchers can write a check for all the Ruidoso tax money that goes in to fixing their driveways,oh,sorry, our county roads.

Maybe the people that use the Ruidoso Library for free(hint county residents) could write a check.

Maybe the City of Ruidoso Downs and the county could write a check from all the funds they don't pay for services that Ruidoso pays for (Humane Society, School police officer, etc).

Or better yet, while a horrible tragedy, why didn't these people have insurance like everyone else. I have payed homeowners insurance for more than 40 years and never had a claim. Why should you or I or Hubbard be responsible for someone else neglect. They benefited from the money they did not spend on Insurance where you and I did not. We both made choices. Clearly one was obviously a better choice.
LibraK

Alto, NM

#9 Jul 28, 2012
Facts wrote:
He already writes a check each year to keep the track open and 400 people employed. Maybe you should do your part and write a check to help this county in someway or even any way.
Maybe the Ranchers can write a check for all the Ruidoso tax money that goes in to fixing their driveways,oh,sorry, our county roads.
Maybe the people that use the Ruidoso Library for free(hint county residents) could write a check.
Maybe the City of Ruidoso Downs and the county could write a check from all the funds they don't pay for services that Ruidoso pays for (Humane Society, School police officer, etc).
Or better yet, while a horrible tragedy, why didn't these people have insurance like everyone else. I have payed homeowners insurance for more than 40 years and never had a claim. Why should you or I or Hubbard be responsible for someone else neglect. They benefited from the money they did not spend on Insurance where you and I did not. We both made choices. Clearly one was obviously a better choice.
You might want to check the facts about the Humane Society & how Ruidoso Downs pays for services provided.
RuiRes

Ruidoso, NM

#10 Jul 28, 2012
I am a taxpayer in Lincoln County, and have made contributions to assist those affected by Little Bear, so am already doing "my part".

If the Hubbard tax must be taken from the people, then it should go to a worthy cause. I do not consider funding private enterprise a worthy cause. Hopefully one day Hubbard will see the error of his way.
Facts

Ruidoso, NM

#11 Jul 28, 2012
LibraK wrote:
<quoted text>
You might want to check the facts about the Humane Society & how Ruidoso Downs pays for services provided.
They do not cover the cost of the animals that actual come from Ruidoso Downs like Ruidoso does.
Bait

Ruidoso, NM

#12 Jul 28, 2012
(Facts)
It must be great siting in your ivory tower judging others and there motives. And being able to justify your lack of concern for those who have suffered loss in this fire.
And when tragedy befalls you, will you want others to have the same attitude towards you as you have expressed towards them?
Facts

Ruidoso, NM

#13 Jul 28, 2012
RuiRes wrote:
I am a taxpayer in Lincoln County, and have made contributions to assist those affected by Little Bear, so am already doing "my part".
If the Hubbard tax must be taken from the people, then it should go to a worthy cause. I do not consider funding private enterprise a worthy cause. Hopefully one day Hubbard will see the error of his way.
The point is the people said they wanted to do this. You had your opportunity and were not in the majority. Funding the direct and indirect jobs the track creates is important. Hubbard could close the track tomorrow and save himself money. How would that be a good thing for us. for $750,000 investment we get a $2 million plus payroll direct and millions more indirect. The direct and indirect GRT collected by local governments is excess of $2.5 million dollars. Not a bad return on investment.

I know, I know, Hubbard wasn't going to move. You really do not know that. When he is gone, we will find out if there is anyone that wants to pay for the enjoyment of owning their own track. If not, the track goes away and we will be left to find a replacement for a hole in our economy. Contrary to some's opinions, this will not be easy or done quickly.

Local Government and private enterprise work together all the time to create a better economy. The alternative is Obama's way which is big government tries to do it all which we know does not work in the long run.
Problematic

Ruidoso, NM

#14 Jul 28, 2012
Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is the people said they wanted to do this. You had your opportunity and were not in the majority. Funding the direct and indirect jobs the track creates is important. Hubbard could close the track tomorrow and save himself money. How would that be a good thing for us. for $750,000 investment we get a $2 million plus payroll direct and millions more indirect. The direct and indirect GRT collected by local governments is excess of $2.5 million dollars. Not a bad return on investment.
I know, I know, Hubbard wasn't going to move. You really do not know that. When he is gone, we will find out if there is anyone that wants to pay for the enjoyment of owning their own track. If not, the track goes away and we will be left to find a replacement for a hole in our economy. Contrary to some's opinions, this will not be easy or done quickly.
Local Government and private enterprise work together all the time to create a better economy. The alternative is Obama's way which is big government tries to do it all which we know does not work in the long run.
So let those that benefit from the track pay to keep it here.
RuiRes

Ruidoso, NM

#15 Jul 28, 2012
Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Hubbard could close the track tomorrow and save himself money. How would that be a good thing for us. for $750,000 investment we get a $2 million plus payroll direct and millions more indirect. The direct and indirect GRT collected by local governments is excess of $2.5 million dollars. Not a bad return on investment.
Why not also include the other "indirect" benefits that Hubbard's gambling empire brings to the local economy, such as prostitution, drugs, and other ills? Maybe the overall benefit is closer to $5M, or maybe even higher.

I am morally opposed to Hubbard's gambling empire, and am philosophically opposed to him taking money from taxpayers; especially the poor, and especially those that are morally opposed to his enterprise yet have to pay for it.

The idiotic and pathetic, "Fight Back!", campaign must have been birthed by one of Hubbard's followers after an alcoholic drinking binge. It was fundamentally flawed, and a lie, and it unreasonably pressured the innocent citizens and businesses of Lincoln County to vote for the Hubbard-tax. It's called "extortion" by any other name.

Think hard on this: the ends do not justify the means.
Tax exhausted

Nogal, NM

#16 Jul 30, 2012
Obviously, Facts benefits from Hubbard's enterprises directly or indirectly. The fight back campaign was the brainchild of Ruidoso Downs Attorney and Cindy Lynch who is Heather Wilson's local campaign manager.
Most of the chamber was involved as well.

Surely some bright, honest Attorney that really knows State Statute could find what was wrong or illegal about this whole thing. Maybe to get it rescinded, repealed or whatever so that the taxpayers have to put up with it. If Hubbard gets Kudos for his foundation to give away a $100,000.00 and then some each year, and to other county entities, Why didn't they include those counties that are the recipients of Hubbard welfare?
Jaw Dropper

Hobbs, NM

#17 Aug 2, 2012
Facts wrote:
The problem with this is the track does not actually recieve the money. The state deducts the GRT collected for this specific purpose from the taxes due on the slot machine net win at the casino. The tax dollars cannot be used for anything else so the state cannot send any money directly to the county.
The fact that we have County Commissioners that do not know how anything actually works in the county or the state is a lot of the problem that we have.
It was either grandstanding or ignorance that prompted her to make such a statement.
So, lower our GRT by 3/16th for one year and let Hubbard pay his full tax. The state won't get it from the locals. I don't think Sedillo as proposing using the $750,000 for anything else. She just thought folks should get a break on their GRT for one year.
Kanye East

Virginia Beach, VA

#18 Aug 2, 2012
The President just doesn't care about red people!
Facts

Ruidoso, NM

#19 Aug 2, 2012
Local governments in Lincoln Cty collect almost 15 million dollars in GRT. Most(90%+) of that is in Ruidoso and Ruidoso Downs where it is estimated that about 50% of the tax is paid by out of towners. That would mean that out of the $750,000, that only about $350,000 of the tax is paid by the locals. Divide that by 20,000 people in Lincoln county comes out to $17.50 a citizen, a twelve pack and a pack of cigarettes. Just one day of relief.
Supporting Fact

Ruidoso, NM

#20 Aug 2, 2012
Facts wrote:
Local governments in Lincoln Cty collect almost 15 million dollars in GRT. Most(90%+) of that is in Ruidoso and Ruidoso Downs where it is estimated that about 50% of the tax is paid by out of towners. That would mean that out of the $750,000, that only about $350,000 of the tax is paid by the locals. Divide that by 20,000 people in Lincoln county comes out to $17.50 a citizen, a twelve pack and a pack of cigarettes. Just one day of relief.
That is about $17.50 more per year, per citizen that we should be required to pay for the track.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ruidoso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
FOX News Just Accused Trump Of A Major “Cover Up” 29 min Dittoe 3
Trump’s Corporate Tax Plan Just Leaked. He Lied... 31 min Dittoe 10
Fox News Leveled By Criminal Hacking Scandal; N... 33 min Dittoe 6
Poll Is it just me ,this town sucks (Dec '07) 2 hr Turdhater 49
Collusion ? 3 hr Ralph 1
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) 4 hr Library 8,894
Convict 5 hr Ralph 3

Ruidoso Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ruidoso Mortgages