Spelling bee gets a Spanish spin -- Schools, Lake County (Illin...

Children at a north suburban school stepped to the microphone Wednesday in one of the first Spanish spelling bees statewide, joining a growing effort to put a multilingual spin on the traditionally English ... Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Mary

Westmont, IL

#115 Apr 9, 2008
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
Why "Spanish" aka "Mexican"?(I hope you taught them Spainsh and not some Mexican jive)
Why not Russian or French ect?
Maybe you're just a liberal teacher that has an agenda?
Why stop at 2 languages? Why not go for 3? If you dont you're racist.
Your ignorance and anger is not worth a reply. My students and their parents are amazingly smart, hard-working, funny and kind. May peace be with you.
No Hablas En Espanol

AOL

#116 Apr 9, 2008
Dumb As Bricks wrote:
Well, isn't that dandy.
Most 'students' in public schools in Illinois are barely - if at all, proficient in ENGLISH and now the schools are facilitating Spanish on a large scale. Gee, I wonder why? Could it be because the Spainsh-speaking venues of the world are experiencing such huge economic growth that the future probability of economic interaction is so great that it's essential to prepare Illinois' students to take advantage of those opportunities? No, that's not it; the Spanish-speakers are coming HERE to escape the poverty there. So, it must be that the Vernon Hills schools think that it's a critical use of public/taxpayer's dollars to educate those in their charge to be able to speak in the native tounge of their busboys, dishwashers, kitchen-staff, landscaping-crews, day-laborers they pick up in front of Home Depot and the like. Let's see, how many patents have been registered in Spanish in the last 30 years? Surely, they can't be preparing their students for job interviews in ANY professions, other than either the restaurant business and/or in penal/law-enforcement.
No, they've decided that it's not Chinese language or Indian dialects {the two fastest growing economies in the world with nearly half of the world's population between them} that their students need, but, to be able to order a burrito without using English.
Yo prefearo hablas en Englaise, por favor! No habla in Espanol; no muy gracias, no.
That pretty much says it, if a bit harshly.
Interestingly, the Bannockburn school is offering Mandarin for their kids {and they don't have to wait for high school to get it}. This is a community of 2 acre minimum sized home sites where new homes being built start at $4.5 mil. Could it be that they see the writing on the wall? Some other language {assuming that English is primary and sufficiently taught} is - of course, desireable; however, why not the primary dialect{s} of either of the world's two largest populations - which also happen to be the two with the greatest economic growth rates {Chinese and/or Indian}?
It's PC to support Spanish, sure. However, it's NOT the language of science, business and/or diplomacy; nor is it a language of a peoples emerging as a world power. The classics still consist of Latin, Greek and French. The Europeans learn four languages before they can attain their bachalorial / first degrees.
Wake up and smell the proficiency standards... It's OUR future that's being mis-spent and a profound disservice that's being done to these kids.
Townline Mom

San Diego, CA

#117 Apr 9, 2008
As the mother of a caucasian, middle class, 3rd grader with strong academic abilities, I am shocked at all the negativity this article is bringing. My son is in the dual langauge program, not because we choose to cater to others in our country, but because he needs a sense of the entire world around him, the cultures of as many different people as possible, this is an amazing opportunity for him. Shame on all of you who think English should be the only language our children, our future know. Purhaps we should be trying to educate them as a world, as opposed to a nation.
Fellow Teacher

Woodstock, IL

#118 Apr 11, 2008
I am just shocked. People are making such a BIG deal out of this! It's a spelling be in Spanish. People are looking into this and making a mountain out of a molehill. As a teacher in another school in the district, I think it's an awesome thing. They're promoting their differences. They offer dual language at their school, so why not celebrate what their kids have learned?

Going back to other comments, regardless of what someone speaks, they can hold any job they choose with a decent education. There are plenty of dual-language doctors, lawyers, political leaders, etc. Just because in your small frame of mind you see them solely as dishwashers, or whatever nonsense you said, doesn't make it true. Open your eyes. What's your job?

On a side note, our national language is....nothing. We do not have one. Granted, most of us speak English, but how dare some of you be so close mined that "people should learn to speak our language". I can guarantee you they are trying. Those of you saying they have to learn English, how many languages BESIDES English do you speak? I think we (meaning majority of America) are the lazy ones.

America. Land of the Free? Evidently not freedom of language...
George

El Paso, TX

#119 Apr 20, 2008
Hey Devo, thanks for helping me make my point. You'd be surprised by how many people in Mexico know English. It is taught in many schools thus making the assimilation into American culture and society much easier, whether you make it into this country legally or not. And if you're here illegally it makes getting your citizenship papers and all that bureaucratic red tape less time consuming.
viva mexico

Dallas, TX

#121 Mar 24, 2009
this is not america.... america is a continent not a country...USA is the right way.
Rd Heart

Mchenry, IL

#122 Mar 24, 2009
If this was a Spanish Club fine, if not it is a waste of taxpayers money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roxana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Holiday moblie home park 15 min I see it all 13
Granite snitches 15 min The Wizard of Gra... 6
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 39 min mahz 49,829
Im dressing as a mahz for Haloween 44 min mahz 6
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 1 hr LieutenantGov 4,030
Isaac Duckett 1 hr try harder issac 20
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 2 hr Blwlgo 1,926
•••
•••

Roxana Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Roxana People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Roxana News, Events & Info