First Prev
of 2
Next Last
kick1

United States

#1 Apr 20, 2013
Okay not to beat a dead horse but what has happened to our ladies soccer team? They've been shutout several tines. They've allowed more goals than any team around. No offense and a slow, horrid defense. Guess that's what happens when you bring in a coach from the outside who plays favorites for his co-workers and friends. Baker would be embarassed by this.
schbdsx

Granite City, IL

#2 Apr 20, 2013
kick1 wrote:
Okay not to beat a dead horse but what has happened to our ladies soccer team? They've been shutout several tines. They've allowed more goals than any team around. No offense and a slow, horrid defense. Guess that's what happens when you bring in a coach from the outside who plays favorites for his co-workers and friends. Baker would be embarassed by this.
Are you kidding me, the whole GCSD is like this- HORRID!
Huh

Granite City, IL

#3 Apr 22, 2013
Ya granite city sports in general is a JOKE. look at football. What an embarresment
elcooksta

Lenexa, KS

#4 Apr 23, 2013
But we have nice fields though!
just sayin

Kansas City, MO

#5 Apr 23, 2013
The girls soccer team just won a state championship in 2011
kick1

United States

#6 Apr 23, 2013
The cards won the series on 2006. What's your point? That was under Birdsong. Prazma plays his favorites because of friends . This team has no pist season hope.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#7 Apr 23, 2013
kick1 wrote:
Okay not to beat a dead horse but what has happened to our ladies soccer team? They've been shutout several tines. They've allowed more goals than any team around. No offense and a slow, horrid defense. Guess that's what happens when you bring in a coach from the outside who plays favorites for his co-workers and friends. Baker would be embarassed by this.
Baker should be embarrassed by his election disgrace.
blown away

United States

#8 Apr 23, 2013
Girls soccer is kind of like the wnba, nobody cares.The only reason Guys go is because wives dragging them or daughters a player.
just sayin

Belleville, IL

#9 Apr 24, 2013
my point is that the girls soccer team hasnt always been shit. you shouldve specified in your first post that you meant its only been this way since prazma took over. when i played birdsong was my coach and he was the best.. no favorites or anything like that. you had to work to earn your spot on the field. maybe coach baker would be disaappointed from the last two years but before that i believe he wouldve been proud.
Kick1

Collinsville, IL

#10 Apr 29, 2013
They lost again tonite to Edwardsville. Another shutout because they can't score goals and aren't fast enough to stop any offensive pursuit.

Hey you school board members. How bout takin a look at this and do something. All you care about is football at that school.

Parents want change and they want it now.
Parent1

Granite City, IL

#11 Apr 30, 2013
kick1 wrote:
The cards won the series on 2006. What's your point? That was under Birdsong. Prazma plays his favorites because of friends . This team has no pist season hope.
Moron what is pist season hope? Maybe you shouldn't degrade the young ladies or coaches! It's people like you that are a disgrace to society! Your parents should of taught you if you don't have anything nice to say .... You shouldn't say it. Plus you have probably never played a sport in your life.
Kick1

Collinsville, IL

#12 Apr 30, 2013
Parent1 wrote:
<quoted text> Moron what is pist season hope? Maybe you shouldn't degrade the young ladies or coaches! It's people like you that are a disgrace to society! Your parents should of taught you if you don't have anything nice to say .... You shouldn't say it. Plus you have probably never played a sport in your life.
Really? I guess you're one of the parents of the slow defense players or the girls who don't realize putting the ball in the net is the objective of the game. Since you're an English major I'll fix my earlier statement. This team has NO POST SEASON HOPE. In other words after they play their first regional game they'll be done.
Get mad all you want but soccer used to be a premiere sport in Granite City and it's not any longer. Sorry you take offense to the obvious. Records don't lie.
yyyyeeeeeaaaahhh hh

Belleville, IL

#13 May 1, 2013
Shawn Petroski would be an infinitely better coach than anyone gc can roll out not named Baker..

Alas, he doesnt have a name that fits the nepotism bill.

Why you would not hire the greatest soccer player to come out of this town is beyond me...
bob

United States

#14 May 1, 2013
Kick1 wrote:
<quoted text>Really? I guess you're one of the parents of the slow defense players or the girls who don't realize putting the ball in the net is the objective of the game. Since you're an English major I'll fix my earlier statement. This team has NO POST SEASON HOPE. In other words after they play their first regional game they'll be done.
Get mad all you want but soccer used to be a premiere sport in Granite City and it's not any longer. Sorry you take offense to the obvious. Records don't lie.
And you all think Baker was a god? I call BS! He played the same games of friends and favorites! He was just fed players from a better pre high school soccer program when he started coaching.
Kick1

Collinsville, IL

#15 May 1, 2013
Just accept it. Soccer is no longer a power sport in Granite. Sorry but the truth hurts.
yyyyeeeeeaaaahhh hh

United States

#16 May 2, 2013
Its No longer a power sport because the (as was indicated earlier) talent pool is drying up.

Elks is a shade of what it one was (all the good Granite soccer players play at Gateway FC), AND the rec program is about as anti player improvement as you can get (no score or standings..No clear "league champ").

So, what do you expect?

Nepotism, hiring someone because of a name, everyone is a winner, and the like doesn't work. This Is an example.

They should be throwing everything they got at Petrowski...
just sayin

Jerseyville, IL

#17 May 3, 2013
The talent pool is not drying up, just because the Elks program is failing. Players are playing for many different clubs. There is quite a few juniors & seniors that play on a club team and decided not to try out, or quit shortly after tryouts because of P.

GC soccer will be in worse shape if all these clubs start following the trend and offering year round soccer at yhe hs ages. Players and parents are frustrated and will look at that as the better option, the board won't change a thing.
Soccer opinion

Saint Louis, MO

#18 May 3, 2013
This is the repercussion of when the Elks took over the rec program. When the Elks took over, rec was not a priority so kids when on to play other sports because they couldn't afford to be on select teams. The boys last few high school freshman teams didn't even have enough players to tryout so they just made it open to anyone to play. 10 years ago, that would have never been a problem.
just sayin

Belleville, IL

#19 May 3, 2013
I am going to respectfully disagree. While I do agree that both the Elks rec & select programs have A LOT of faults, there is no perfect program. In fact, the Collinsville rec program is suffering worse and jmo but offers an inferior recreational program than the Elks. Just a thought but maybe the two should offer some type of cross league games between the two programs. I do agree they need to keep standings even in rec.

While I don't know exact numbers, just comparing Granite players, I am certain there is more kids in Granite playing for SLSG compared to the Elks. Elks cost last year was what?$550? SLSG can range anywhere from $900-$1800 or more in the hs ages. So no, GC folk are not shying away from participating due to cost. There is many other clubs like Gateway someone mentioned (about $900 or more determined by how many tournaments they decide to play in).

The boys slsg program is already offering a year round academy. I'm not sure of what affect that had on the boys hs team.

Why is everyone leaving GC soccer programs? Better coaching. At all levels. Our local coaches have to step up & learn they need to develop all players at the younger ages, its ridiculous the # of kids sitting the bench while the "stronger" players (or the coaches kid, or the coaches friends kids) never leave the field. This has happened with the Elks select program over & over.
Soccermom1

Saint Louis, MO

#20 May 3, 2013
Not all the players are bad. Some of the good players are hurt. they never came together this year. There was only 2 seniors and maybe 2 juniors that played on SLSG. The rest of the girl i think played for the Elks. there is a big difference in how they play that is just the way it is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roxana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Two thirds of Granite students not proficient i... 15 min I hate GC 76
what the hell is wrong with Nick Tripp? 42 min old friend 2
Kelly ursch 1 hr Curious 1
name your last fart using a movie title. 2 hr deez nuts 18
jessica or Riley not in love with the best hubb... 4 hr Politically Incor... 14
Is Nameoki Marine shutting down? 4 hr Knowledgeable 24
kabrina madget 5 hr cud 9
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Roxana Mortgages