local information
outlaw

United States

#1 Aug 8, 2008
I could possibly be moving to the Roxana are for a job and was wanting to know what kind of town it is and what are the people like. Try to be honest.
Konichiwa

Tokyo, Japan

#2 Aug 8, 2008
1. It's a dry town (no alcohol sales)
2. It sits in the midst of a large refinery.
3. The people are generally nice.
4. It's school system isn't the best if you want your children to get a scholarship for college.
5. No movie theater there.
6. No supermarket store in the city, although there is one (AND Super WalMart in nearby Wood River
7. The police seem fair there.
8. Nice mayor.
9. Good Fire Dept.
10 They get their water from Wood River.
11 Despite being next to huge refineries, there are no gas stations in the city.
12. 1 water tower.
13. Fairly low crime rate, average among area cities.(few violent crimes, lots of non-violent crimes such as DUI and small retail thefts)
14. The high school nickname is "The Shells", after Shell Oil Co.
15. I think they have low property values but that also means a low tax rate!
16. Overall, it's a pretty good little community.
outlaw

United States

#3 Aug 10, 2008
Sounds like a quiet town, what about south roxana?
Konichiwa

Tokyo, Japan

#4 Aug 13, 2008
South Roxana is a village which is actually larger in population than The Village of Roxana.
About 2,000 as opposed to Roxana's 1600.
Has more than 2 places to get a "drink".
No postal delivery.
1 car wash.
Volunteer Fire Dept.
1 Gas station
Interstate 255 runs close to it.
South Roxana 1.6 Sq. miles.
Roxana 6.8 Sq. Miles (which includes the refineries I believe)
No offense to Roxana, really, but I think if I were to ever need to move to either, South Roxana would be my choice.
outlaw

United States

#5 Aug 13, 2008
Konichiwa...thanks for the information, if things work out I my be working in the area for a couple of years or so and I was wondering about the area and where would be a good place to get an apt that is safe and secure. I want to be able to bring some big boy toys with me, and I would like to keep them as well.
outlaw

United States

#6 Aug 14, 2008
Konichiwa.....don't leave me hanging.
Konichiwa

Tokyo, Japan

#7 Aug 18, 2008
Outlaw,

What are big boy toys?

I think the county seat: Edwardsville, Illinois is a nice diverse and safe community. Never lived there but I have plenty of friends who think it's great.
It's home to Southern Illinois University Edwardsville campus. Lot's of places to eat, fill up your car and very little manufacturing industry so the air is fairly clean.
The majority of jobs are technology related so there are no companies billowing out smoke.
Believe it or not, the sales taxes aren't as high as in nearby cities like Alton.
Property values are pretty high, which means that rent or leasing may be a bit higher.
The police and fire departments are very courteous and professional. Each fireman is required to be an EMT as well as a trained fireman. Anyway, Edwardsville may be my choice. I may just move there myself!
Konichiwa

Tokyo, Japan

#8 Aug 18, 2008

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roxana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Officer Down Event 1 hr News 1
Kayla Boyer 1 hr hmm 2
Kool beanz 2 hr mahz 89
Jobs!!! Employment in granite city? 2 hr mahz 20
Marybeth w 3 hr Local business owner 47
Relapse Inn 3 hr Local business owner 1
Having a baby 9 hr Granite Hard Forever 9

Roxana Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance