Entitlement - Eviscerate the Proletariat

Posted in the Roxana Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
LoveMyCity

Matawan, NJ

#1 Jun 16, 2013
First off, I’m well aware of the history of Granite City. When the steel mill went up the town was built upon poor, uneducated hillbillies who migrated here from Arkansas and Tennessee. The mill provided moderately well paid work to those with little education. That said, this was several generations ago and there’s little trace of that heritage. One thing that can be said of these founding town members is that they had a work ethic. They were willing to pick up and move to a place that could provide them economic benefit. How did we lose this work ethic over the past few generations?
I still perceive these people to be in the minority, but when did people establish this sense of entitlement? I’d like to beat the hell out of these people if I wasn’t sure they’d attempt to file a frivolous lawsuit and obtain the money that I’ve earned, but they feel they’re entitled to.
I noticed two examples of this yesterday alone. First was when I went into Fatty Patty’s for lunch. Fatty Patty’s is a new bar and I’m sure the owner’s are in the hole for a good amount of money. They must have had to overhaul the kitchen before opening and I’ve noticed some other renovations performed on the building. While there a group of 6 people come in, give all their money to one member of the group, and have him purchase their food and 1 soda. Fatty Patty’s does require you buy a drink with the meal. At a minimum this may help in breaking even on the food costs, but not on the staff preparing the food. For those who don’t know, Fatty Patty’s is selling $1 hamburgers from a 1/3lb beef patty. Ground beef is currently over $3 a pound. Therefore the bar is obviously losing money on this sale with the hopes of recovering the loss on drink sales. The owner/manager of the bar noticed this group of 6 and politely informed them each member of the group must buy at least a soda.($1.25). This group, after ordering food, then begins to debate whether they should request a refund and leave for McDonald’s. How quickly the world owes you something. If you believe this is acceptable behavior I assure you no business wants you as a customer. The manager wasn’t telling you to buy a drink to get money out of you; he was attempting to crush a problem before it became a bigger problem. He wanted to drive you out of his establishment permanently. Business owners in this town are not all multi-millionaires. Most are those who invested a big portion of what was supposed to be his or her retirement money to fund the business. This is a significant gamble, especially when you have to deal with people such as this.
The second example occurred later in the evening at Jacobsmeyers. Yet another group of entitled brats ran up a huge bar tab and then became obnoxious to the point of other customers leaving. My guess is they believed by running up such a large bar tab they knew they could behave this way. The bar couldn’t kick them out without first having them cover the tab they had run up. I believe at the end of the night the tab that was run up was just under the amount the individual had on his debit card. Therefore the tip was less than what it should have been. Once again, rather than leaving at an appropriate time and paying the person who’s been working to serve you, in a job that requires you give up your Saturday night, an individual believed his lack of funds made it appropriate that the bartender feel the sting of his situation.
LoveMyCity

Matawan, NJ

#2 Jun 16, 2013
Closing thoughts:

I love my city, and enjoy when someone comes along and attempts to open a bar/restaurant that provides us with something new. These businesses are what make Granite City a fun place to live. The community benefits from these businesses. As consumers any time you give a dollar to a business you’re casting a vote for that business to succeed. If you’re one of the few individuals who attempt to get over on these small business owners please do me a favor: On Friday or Saturday, go to shop-n-save, pick up a 12-pack of Natural Light, swing through Jack in the Box for 4 tacos on your way out, go home, and stay in for the night.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#3 Jun 16, 2013
AMEN!
OMG

Granite City, IL

#4 Jun 16, 2013
LoveMyCity wrote:
Closing thoughts:
I love my city, and enjoy when someone comes along and attempts to open a bar/restaurant that provides us with something new. These businesses are what make Granite City a fun place to live. The community benefits from these businesses. As consumers any time you give a dollar to a business you’re casting a vote for that business to succeed. If you’re one of the few individuals who attempt to get over on these small business owners please do me a favor: On Friday or Saturday, go to shop-n-save, pick up a 12-pack of Natural Light, swing through Jack in the Box for 4 tacos on your way out, go home, and stay in for the night.
Exactly!! I agree with everything you have just expressed, every single word. It is sickening to see stuff like this happen.

Jake's and Fatty Patty's are both neat places, in my opinion. We've been to each place a couple times now and I'd hate to see this town lose either one of them.

If you can't afford to buy a single soda to go along with your food then you have no business going out. If you're too cheap to pay for a soda then please just stay away.

Great post, nicely done!
enlightened

Granite City, IL

#5 Jun 17, 2013
Great topic! Couldn't agree more.
NatureBoy6

Granite City, IL

#6 Jun 17, 2013
IMO, if your business is so strapped for money that you have to make ppl buy sodas or any drinks with food orders, then you shouldn't advertise $1 burgers.

For one its a bait and switch, not as such advertised until you probably sit down and get the menu or informed so by an employee, so the $1 burger instantly becomes the $2.25+ burger.

Secondly, how are you gonna tell me I can't eat your food unless I follow certain guidelines first? What if I only drink water? Or god forbid I'm one of the only ones who doesn't drink alcohol in this town. I understand the premise of "if you don't like how we operate then don't come here" but I don't think anyone has the right to make you order something just to eat your food.
iBinPharteen

Glen Carbon, IL

#7 Jun 17, 2013
Granite itself will award the winners an the losers. It doesn't matter and we all pay for it in the end.
Seriously

Granite City, IL

#8 Jun 17, 2013
NatureBoy6 wrote:
IMO, if your business is so strapped for money that you have to make ppl buy sodas or any drinks with food orders, then you shouldn't advertise $1 burgers.
For one its a bait and switch, not as such advertised until you probably sit down and get the menu or informed so by an employee, so the $1 burger instantly becomes the $2.25+ burger.
Secondly, how are you gonna tell me I can't eat your food unless I follow certain guidelines first? What if I only drink water? Or god forbid I'm one of the only ones who doesn't drink alcohol in this town. I understand the premise of "if you don't like how we operate then don't come here" but I don't think anyone has the right to make you order something just to eat your food.
Fast Eddie's has a 2 drink minimum, and I hardly think they can be considered "strapped for money." I think a one drink minimum is more than reasonable if you expect to pay bargain basement prices for your meal. I seriously doubt you only drink water, all the time. If you do, though, then good for you.

Here's an idea - if you want to order food but really want water to drink then pay for the one drink and tell them to "pay it forward" and give it to someone who wants it while you enjoy your glass of water!

I've been there a couple times and have nothing but good to say about the place. I really hope they succeed and are around for a long time.

Some people just have to find something to bitch about...

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#9 Jun 17, 2013
NatureBoy6 wrote:
Well, you just don't get it.
The aristocrat

San Jose, CA

#10 Jun 17, 2013
NatureBoy6 wrote:
I do declare that you are confused on the "bait and switch" concept of marketing scams. In that particular scam the "bait" is not available and another option, the "switch", is there for purchase, usually at an increased fee. The $1 dollar burger is still available for purchase, you just have to purchase a drink. From your faulty thinking Six Flags or Disneyworld is also a scam because you have to pay for parking which is not inclusive of the park ticket.

You sound quite pompous from your post. If you are so health conscious that you don't drink alcohol or soda why are you eating ground beef? Are these the only "guidelines" that you have a problem with? Establishments also require shoes and shirts for service. In some places a gratuity is placed on parties of 6 or more. Illinois has a public nonsmoking ban. Do you have a problem with these places since you have to eat on their terms as well? You see if I were to keep going I could say you just hate America but that would be called a slippery slope to which I doubt you know the correct meaning.

Maybe you also fail to realize that even ordering water at a restaurant is lost revenue unless they charge for it. That glass of water has cost involved with the water, electric for the ice machine, dishwashing costs, the cost for the straw you likely require to drink from, and labor involved for the whole process.
When you climb down from your soapbox try not fall because it sounds to be a pretty tall one. Step back and realize this thread was directed at people like yourself.

Complain about the way everything is run but fail to realize the manner in which things work. Let me know how The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act works out for you while you wait in line for medical care dying.
Yours truly,
The Aristrocrat
NatureBoy6

Granite City, IL

#11 Jun 17, 2013
Definition of 'Bait And Switch'
A dishonest marketing tactic in which a marketer advertises a very attractive price/rate/term that is really a teaser rate meant to attract customers. Once the customer comes into the store/office to inquire about the advertised price/rate (the "bait"), the advertiser will attempt to sell the customer a more expensive product (the "switch").

How is that not what fatty pattys and fast eddies do? Other places too, my point is I think it's a shady business tactic that pisses a lot of ppl off, it's not about the money, it's about deceiving customers, and not offering what's advertised.
The aristocrat

Dallas, TX

#13 Jun 17, 2013
Alright NatureBoy let us try this again. During the bait and switch the originally priced item is no longer present. The burger still is there at advertised price. Stop me if I'm talking over your head. If you walked into the place and they said all they have is prime rib sandwiches at $10.99, then yes it would be a legitimate bait and switch. You are still confused which is ok. I have patience. It's patience that makes people like me be able to tolerate people like yourself. The fact of the matter remains with the original post that entitlement has stuck its ugly face into Granite, like many other towns.

People have either forgotten or don't care what it is like to walk in another persons shoes. You don't realize in the slightest way the manner in which capitalism works. Freeloaders that have no initiative to contribute to society are destroying this country. They contribute nothing and think that they are owed everything. Then they riot or resort to violence if their "rights" are infringed on in any way. The hard working American is a dying breed. So Natureboy I know you know how to cut and paste from Google or Wikipedia, you've made that relevant, but You fail to comprehend. Your turn.
Much Love,
The Aristocrat
LoveMyCity

Chicago, IL

#14 Jun 17, 2013
NatureBoy, you're demonstrating the exact sense of entitlement my original rant went against. If you're broke and draw the line at a $3 meal, but refuse to pay $4.25 a meal, I can't say I sympathize. I grew up poor, and that's why I work. So I'll never feel that again.

I recall a friend I used to have (used to) who would either lose his job, or run up his credit card, or both, and decide he'd no longer tip at bars or restaurants. So let's review this situation. He decided that because his situation was lousy, regardless of whether it was his fault, he would then spread that lousy situation out across employees and businesses of those who were working. It's like a backwards form of trickle-down economics.

I didn't intend for this to become another fatty patty's debate. What they're doing is providing an incentive to customers.

Wal-Mart does the same thing. There's a certain number of items they lose money on with the hopes of getting you in the store.

It's often referred to as the "razor and blade" model. Gilette and Schick don't make money selling the razor, they make money selling the blade.

If you want to go into a place and run up a large bill, not tip, and walk out feeling as though you got over...hooray for you, you got one over. But in the meantime it's that crap-sense of self entitlement and irresponsible consumerism that leads people to NOT bring quality businesses to GC.

Once again. Get your 4 tacos for $1.98, go home, and watch TV.
mahz

Saint Louis, MO

#15 Jun 17, 2013
You are sitting around the POS dive bars in this town and then applying the lessons you learn from watching the POS drunken little monkeys to the entire town? You ever stop to think that maybe you're just scum, hanging around scummy bars?

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#16 Jun 17, 2013
@ The aristocrat---AMEN! lmao
other bar owner

East Alton, IL

#17 Jun 17, 2013
It's not bait and switch. It's exactly what is advertised. You must purchase a beverage to eat. That beverage can be anything from Ice Tea to a Long Island Iced Tea.

Fatty Patty's is attempting to found their business on what is called a loss leader.

A loss leader is a product sold at or below it's market price or cost (in Fatty Patty's case, below their cost to make the hamburger) in an attempt to stimulate sales of other products they provide.

80/20 fine ground chuck is current $2.51 per lb restaurant cost. Fatty Patty's is using a lesser grade of ground beef which is marginally less expensive.(probably around $2.15-$2.20 per lb)

I've been there once. My burger looked to be about 1/4lb (.55 in beef,.10 condiments,.20 bun,.10 paper boat,.05 napkins)

Pure product cost is $1.00 at the absolute minimum. That is not factoring in labor, hvac, rent, insurance, employer payroll taxes, gas, electric, trash pickup, co2, phones, internet, television service, office expenses, BMI, ASCAP, SESAC, licenses, inspections, cleaining supplies.... pfft that's just the tip of the cost iceberg for a bar/restaurant.

And they are doing this in a market where 70-75% of restaurants and bars FAIL within a 3 year period after opening. They have invested their hard earned money hoping to build a successfull business. They created employment where there wasn't any (and they and their employees are paying unemployment taxes that get distributed to other people who currently aren't working)

The owners (I don't know them) don't have a magic money tree out back. Their operational costs have to be covered to remain open. Hopefully they will make enough money after everyone else is paid to make it all worth the extraordinary amount of labor and money they are risking.

You either want small business and employment in Granite City, or you don't. But you can't expect to go in there, eat below cost and complain because their policy is to try to balance cost with a beverage purchase.

If you want a better GC, quit spending your money in franchise businesses that don't pay their employees shit like Wal-Mart and Fast Food. Start spending your money with independent grocers, butchers, restaurants and bars. Locally owned businesses spend their money LOCALLY.

Don't expect to pay nothing to support the business and then complain that there is nowhere to go in Granite City.

I wish Fatty Patty's all the best.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#18 Jun 17, 2013
NatureBoy6 wrote:
A dishonest marketing tactic in which a marketer advertises a very attractive price/rate/term that is really a teaser rate meant to attract customers. Once the customer comes into the store/office to inquire about the advertised price/rate (the "bait"), the advertiser will attempt to sell the customer a more expensive product (the "switch").
How is that not what fatty pattys and fast eddies do? Other places too, my point is I think it's a shady business tactic that pisses a lot of ppl off, it's not about the money, it's about deceiving customers, and not offering what's advertised.
Pissed a lot of people off huh? Yeah, Fast Eddies is sooo unpopular. Lol.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#19 Jun 17, 2013
other bar owner wrote:
It's not bait and switch. It's exactly what is advertised. You must purchase a beverage to eat. That beverage can be anything from Ice Tea to a Long Island Iced Tea.
Fatty Patty's is attempting to found their business on what is called a loss leader.
A loss leader is a product sold at or below it's market price or cost (in Fatty Patty's case, below their cost to make the hamburger) in an attempt to stimulate sales of other products they provide.
80/20 fine ground chuck is current $2.51 per lb restaurant cost. Fatty Patty's is using a lesser grade of ground beef which is marginally less expensive.(probably around $2.15-$2.20 per lb)
I've been there once. My burger looked to be about 1/4lb (.55 in beef,.10 condiments,.20 bun,.10 paper boat,.05 napkins)
Pure product cost is $1.00 at the absolute minimum. That is not factoring in labor, hvac, rent, insurance, employer payroll taxes, gas, electric, trash pickup, co2, phones, internet, television service, office expenses, BMI, ASCAP, SESAC, licenses, inspections, cleaining supplies.... pfft that's just the tip of the cost iceberg for a bar/restaurant.
And they are doing this in a market where 70-75% of restaurants and bars FAIL within a 3 year period after opening. They have invested their hard earned money hoping to build a successfull business. They created employment where there wasn't any (and they and their employees are paying unemployment taxes that get distributed to other people who currently aren't working)
The owners (I don't know them) don't have a magic money tree out back. Their operational costs have to be covered to remain open. Hopefully they will make enough money after everyone else is paid to make it all worth the extraordinary amount of labor and money they are risking.
You either want small business and employment in Granite City, or you don't. But you can't expect to go in there, eat below cost and complain because their policy is to try to balance cost with a beverage purchase.
If you want a better GC, quit spending your money in franchise businesses that don't pay their employees shit like Wal-Mart and Fast Food. Start spending your money with independent grocers, butchers, restaurants and bars. Locally owned businesses spend their money LOCALLY.
Don't expect to pay nothing to support the business and then complain that there is nowhere to go in Granite City.
I wish Fatty Patty's all the best.
Excellent break down! But do not think of franchises as not being small businesses. They take on all of the above costs, in addition to franchise fees. And often have to make price changes directed by the corporation.
Blind Fury

North York, Canada

#20 Jun 18, 2013
I get tired of people ripping on GC as though it's a bad place to live. With the exception of Edwardsville our median household income is greater than that of many surrounding communities.

Fact is people who complain that their city sucks are truly just miserable people. They'll be unhappy wherever they go.
duh

Mount Vernon, IL

#21 Jun 18, 2013
NatureBoy6 wrote:
boy, you are thick in the head! they advertise a burger gor a buck. when you get there, they have a burger for a buck! maybe you like one with cheese andcall the other goodies that people pile on, but, that will cost you extra!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roxana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brittany pulley 33 min Brittany pulley 14
Jeremy Schrader 49 min Truthbetold 7
mel cook 58 min ewww 9
Eddie Cox 1 hr smn 3
Chancey brown 1 hr liljeani 9
Stacy staggs 1 hr Try Again 11
Cops at the bling bling shop 1 hr foofoofighters 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Roxana Mortgages