Old Town Bar and Grill building's lon...

Old Town Bar and Grill building's long and varied life

There are 33 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Jan 12, 2010, titled Old Town Bar and Grill building's long and varied life. In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

Although the 1908 Old Town Bar and Grill building has stood vacant for several years, its prior life reflects the many facets of Eureka life in the last century.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Danny Montgomery

San Francisco, CA

#1 Jan 12, 2010
Why no comment on what happened to the OTB&G between 1979 and 1989?
Deborah Lazio reopened it and literally brought the outside world of music to Eureka. Every major blues act, pop act and roots American band, played the Bar & Grill back then. Not to mention that Deborah employed every local band on a regular basis. To musicians like me, the OTB&G was a steady source of income for 10 years. I know of few other establishments that can boast that...Two more things. Before the earthquake, Deborah Lazio and I began plans to host/produce a 30 year reunion for the OTB&G's employees, musicians and friends. There is a facebook site for those interested. Also, recently, the sound man for the OTB&G, Sean Bohannon passed away. On Sunday. January 24th, there will be a couple of celebrations. One at noon in front of what is left of the Bar&Grill, to say farewell and offer a toast. Then at 3:00pm, at the Bayside Grange, there will be a memorial for Sean Bohannon...
mix master mike

Burlingame, CA

#2 Jan 12, 2010
absolutely. it was a great spot for music. 10,000 maniacs, David Lindley and El Rayo X, Romeo Void come to mind.
NorCal

Houston, TX

#4 Jan 12, 2010
Doesn't anybody remember when it was a Six Rivers Brewery pub in the 1990s?
unanonymous

United States

#5 Jan 12, 2010
I was a doorman at OTB&G, great times getting to see free shows, Hot Tuna, Tubes, Lindley,.....
RemembersBrewery

United States

#6 Jan 12, 2010
Wasn't it most recently a brewery? I remember going there for food, drinks and salsa dancing around ten years ago.

Since: Oct 09

Portland Oregon

#7 Jan 12, 2010
One business that was not mention was at one time there was a FM radio station on the 2nd story. Can not remember the call sign of it though. Too many years away from home I guess. Either that or I am just old and forgetful.
old-timers2

Oakland, CA

#8 Jan 12, 2010
NorCal wrote:
Doesn't anybody remember when it was a Six Rivers Brewery pub in the 1990s?
Six Rivers Brewery pub year was pale compared to the OTB&G years. Spent a lot of $$ there in all those incarnations over twenty years!

Since: Oct 09

Portland Oregon

#9 Jan 12, 2010
After a bit of thought I think the station was KFMI?? 96.3
Bermuda triangle

United States

#11 Jan 12, 2010
I remember when the OTB&G, The Vance Log Cabin and Fogs were all viable scenes...those were the days.
Sad

Seattle, WA

#12 Jan 12, 2010
Yes the last use for the building was six rivers bewery. I also remember stories growing up hearing about this place being haunted too. Sad we can't save all the old building. I am wondering though the things that will be found after it gets tore down. Need my metal dector
Kenny Harper

Eureka, CA

#13 Jan 12, 2010
Oh, the Ol' OatBag, as some of us called it.
Those David Lindley & El Ray-o X shows (ALL of 'em) were the ones I looked forward to the most, but so many others were just incredible!
Let me scratch my memory...
John Lee Hooker, Sam & Dave, Bruce Cockburn, Joe King Carrasco, J.J. Cale, Hot Tuna, 10,000 with Natalie Merchant (followed the next night by Violent Femmes at the Van Duzen - they were touring together, but in Humboldt split for two separate shows) Dr. John, Joe Ely, The Neville Brothers (a lot) and in their rowdier days, Los Lobos, who titled their song "L'il King of Everything" from one of the characters in the Romano Gabrial Sculpture Garden next door to the OTB&G.
NO-SO-OLD HIPPIE

AOL

#14 Jan 12, 2010
Well Danny,I'll be there on the 24th...I too got to gig there and will be there @ The Grange on that Sunday. The "ole-tea-bag" has always been missed as a venue and I got to see a number of great reggae shows there....The Itals w/The Roots Radics, Eek-a-Mouse, Burning Spear, and I got to open w/The World Peace Band for the Caribean All-Stars. I also got to see the late Micheal Hedges open wife for Darrel Anger and his wife Barbara Higby. Sean was our sound man.....

Jim Stutsman
anon

San Francisco, CA

#15 Jan 12, 2010
Rambo E wrote:
One business that was not mention was at one time there was a FM radio station on the 2nd story. Can not remember the call sign of it though. Too many years away from home I guess. Either that or I am just old and forgetful.
KFMI
Bermuda triangle

United States

#17 Jan 12, 2010
Those David Lindley shows were hot...OTB&G was a sauna when he played. Let's not forget to mention the numerous Robert Cray shows, it was like old home coming week. Roomful of Blues when Ronnie Earl was still in the band. The Band minus Robbie Robertson. Many local acts too: Richard Ross's band Ride and my personal favorite Joint Session,those guys were tight.
Kenny Harper

Eureka, CA

#18 Jan 12, 2010
I turned twenty-one boogieing to The Robert Cray Band on that great hard-wood dance floor. Thanks, Deborah, for booking THAT date!
mmmmm

Grand Prairie, TX

#19 Jan 12, 2010
Bermuda triangle wrote:
I remember when the OTB&G, The Vance Log Cabin and Fogs were all viable scenes...those were the days.
i loved fogs...they had the best fish and chips
hmmm

Grand Prairie, TX

#20 Jan 12, 2010
i recall a ronnie montrose show twenty something years ago...at the vance log cabin
Gocrabsgo

Eureka, CA

#21 Jan 12, 2010
It's no secret there are some hidden treasures in them there walls. With demolition happening immediately, they may be lost forever. Perhaps " Mr. Ghost" will look after them.
Deborah Lazio

Graton, CA

#22 Jan 12, 2010
Nice to see people posting their favorite memories/shows...Sad to see what was once considered the best concert venue between SF and Portland being demolished. Touring musicians were amazed at the woodworking, the old fashioned balcony, the pink lit brick walls, the great bartenders and crew. They always told me that the Humboldt County audiences were the most enthusiastic and fun lovin' bunch of folks on their tour...Lots of memories being posted on the Old Town Bar & Grill facebook page....
old timer

Oakland, CA

#23 Jan 12, 2010
Thanks folks! I am get the warm fuzzys thinking about all them good shows.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rowland Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 3 hr LM Mom 5,570
News Happy Birthday, Alan Haskvitz (Sep '08) 4 hr fellow teacher 15
Accusations or true? 6 hr All facts 5
La Habra parking citation govt rip off. 15 hr Steve 1
News Fontana officials to talk fireworks ban (Mar '10) 16 hr June 27
$2.5 Million Funneled Through La Habra Heights ... 17 hr Libi Uremovic 1
Ricardo Pacheco Sporting New Haircut Bart Simps... Sun Who is my mom 8
More from around the web

Rowland Heights People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE