DA refiles corruption case against fo...

DA refiles corruption case against four current and former Irwindale officials

There are 10 comments on the Whittier Daily News story from Aug 14, 2013, titled DA refiles corruption case against four current and former Irwindale officials. In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

Four current and former Irwindale officials were charged Wednesday with misappropriation of about $200,000 in public funds spent on lavish trips to New York City where they stayed at exclusive hotels, dined at fine restaurants and attended Broadway shows, the Los Angeles County district attorney announced Wednesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

Here Comes The Judge

Azusa, CA

#1 Aug 14, 2013
Ummm.... Didn't Hunley say this would happen??
Car Parker

Monrovia, CA

#2 Aug 14, 2013
Yes he did
Car Parker

Monrovia, CA

#3 Aug 14, 2013
DA refiles corruption case against four current and former Irwindale officials

Posted: 08/14/13, 2:59 PM PDT |

Four current and former Irwindale officials were charged Wednesday with misappropriation of about $200,000 in public funds spent on lavish trips to New York City where they stayed at exclusive hotels, dined at fine restaurants and attended Broadway shows, the Los Angeles County district attorney announced Wednesday.

Councilmen Mark Breceda and Manual Garcia, former councilwoman Rosemary Ramirez and retired Finance Director Abe De Dios are each charged with misappropriation of public funds, embezzlement and conflict of interest.

Arraignment for Breceda, 53, Garcia, 34, De Dios, 68, and Ramirez, 52, is scheduled for Sept. 11 at the Foltz Criminal Justice Center.

None of the four, nor Breceda’s attorney, were immediately available for comment.

The case was re-filed after a state appeals court in April dismissed a grand jury indictment. The court found prosecutors withheld exculpatory evidence when presenting their case to the grand jury.

Between 2001 and 2005, the four traveled to New York for up to six days at time in an effort to get a higher bond rating for the city.

Prosecutors allege during each trip, the officials spent thousands of dollars to attend hit Broadway shows and sporting events.

In 2005, the officials spent $66,000 on two trips to New York where they stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel on Central Park and bought tickets to see “Wicked” and “Mamma Mia,” according to prosecutors. They charged $12,000 for limousine services and attended Yankees and Mets games.

Breceda and De Dios are charged with five counts each of misappropriation of public funds, embezzlement and conflict of interest. Ramirez is charged with two counts each of misappropriation of public funds, embezzlement and conflict of interest. Garcia is charged with one count each of misappropriation of public funds, embezzlement and conflict of interest.
What changed

La Puente, CA

#5 Aug 15, 2013
Justice is Coming wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my Hunley you stud you did it !!!!!!!!!
Hey I hear Breceda's sister in law is looking for you just watch your back:)
Well here comes justice 101 right up Brecdas hind-side and with any luck the boys in jail might take advantage of this little mans hind side .
Great Job Mr. Hunley when your done in Irwindale I am sure other city's could use a clean up man like you.
It really doesn't matter that it was refiled. Nothing has changed. I have a prediction myself. Hunley will lose this case, just as he's lost at everything else he's ever done. Good luck stinky. Stick to what you're good at. And that's being a complete failure.
Car Parker

Monrovia, CA

#6 Aug 15, 2013
ask Breceda what changed
Car Parker

Monrovia, CA

#7 Aug 15, 2013
The most significant change would be that there has been NO more party trips to New York on tax payers dime.
Ha ha ha

La Puente, CA

#9 Aug 16, 2013
I Did Ask wrote:
<quoted text>
Well the question asked was what has changed for Breceda and the answer is Breceda is a half a million dollars lighter and when this goes to court again Breceda will lose another half to a million dollars to fight this case.
The funny thing is no matter how the case turns out the people won because all these crooks will have to spend ten times what they stole to defend themselves. Lets see Garcia will lose his house and Ramirez is already upside down on her house also and Breceda's nest egg is gone for good. Then we have the IRS to follow up to get the rest.
I hope that answers all the big questions.
Funny how Ramirez may lose her house yet hunley is the one who looks and smells homeless. Maybe he sold it to pay for tuttle's lobotomy.
Car Parker

Monrovia, CA

#11 Aug 22, 2013
DA right to refile charges in Irwindale

Posted: 08/21/13, 4:17 PM PDT |

The Los Angeles County district attorney’s office was correct this week in its decision to refile a criminal case against four Irwindale officials.

The New York City junket taken with public money by Councilmen Mark Breceda and Manual Garcia, former Councilwoman Rosemary Ramirez and retired Finance Director Abe De Dios was first reported in this newspaper almost six years ago.

As the DA noted in its refiling, between 2001 and 2005 the four traveled to New York for up to six days at a time, allegedly in an effort to get a higher bond rating for the city. But the officials spent thousands of dollars of taxpayer money to attend hit Broadway shows and sporting events that had nothing to do with city business.

This spring an appeals court dismissed a grand jury indictment of the four on technicalities. But the spending of over $200,000 on the junkets is plainly outrageous, and it’s a fine sign of DA diligence to see that the case has not been forgotten. In 2005, the officials spent $66,000 on two trips to New York where they stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel on Central Park and bought tickets to see “Wicked” and “Mamma Mia,” according to prosecutors. They charged $12,000 for limousine services and attended Yankees and Mets games.

Irwindale is a city tiny in population, with fewer than 2,000 residents, yet of medium geographical size for a Los Angeles County city, with much of its territory taken up by the gravel pits that over the decades have been very lucrative for its citizens. They share in the mining revenues in the same way that Alaskans, for instance, share in that state’s oil revenues, and they have made out handsomely because of it.

But it’s precisely because the city is so small and relatively rich that part of the problem arises. There is not a large pool of people willing to serve, if that is the term when the perks have been so high. In Irwindale down the decades, that pool has often been interrelated, with feelings of an almost feudal entitlement. The small population also means that there are fewer watchdogs and good-guy gadflies to keep an eye on public spending.

It’s the same situation as in many small county cities that have been the focus of spending and public compensation scandals in recent years. The improprieties in the Corridor of Corruption cities south of Downtown Los Angeles would have been much harder to pull off in larger cities where there is more public accountability. There are valid arguments for disincorporating some of those cities — though at the same time it’s understandable that they have a disinclination to be swallowed up by the huge city of Los Angeles. But even going back to unincorporated county territory would lessen the possibilities for scamming their good people by sharpies in City Hall, whether elected by a tiny voting population or appointed by the electeds.

Irwindale faces a slightly more complicated problem. Because of the comfortable largesse that is its mostly Latino citizens’ literal birthright, they would be reluctant to be swallowed up by, and to share the wealth with, a West Covina or Azusa or Baldwin Park or any other of their neighbors. They operate like some kind of municipal Switzerland: It’s hard to become an Irwindalian. But in the future, its citizens need to keep a closer watch on City Hall, lest future officials begin again to act like kings and queens.
Car Parker

Monrovia, CA

#12 Aug 23, 2013
Hey did the tribune just call me a good-guy gadfly
Ha ha

La Puente, CA

#13 Aug 23, 2013
Car Parker wrote:
Hey did the tribune just call me a good-guy gadfly
Nope. But I can see, or should I say "smell", why you would have flies all around you. When was the last time you bathed? I bet Nixon was still in office.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rowland Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 32 min LMFC 9,093
News A girl waves a Mexican flag during rallies in L... (Mar '06) 1 hr Lil Lechugita 4,549
News Whistle-blower lawsuit seeks return of $500,000... 13 hr The More You Know 5
News Pedestrian hit by car in Pacific Beach (Dec '12) 14 hr Iceham 2
history of gangs in west covina (Dec '07) 15 hr larry anderson 2,806
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 21 hr Told Pharts 33,405
War Zone Between Bassett and La Puente Gangs (Jun '09) Thu Juan 63

Rowland Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rowland Heights Mortgages