LMSA 2014 Dad

Whittier, CA

#3863 Dec 31, 2013
I dont have problems with parents wanting better coaching,
What are the reasons?
the idea is they have the tools that will develop players and bring more wins with it. People leave teams that dont win for teams that win. If your team is average, players stay longer if it has a terrible season you either break up or talent gets picked up down the street. Dont kid yourself its about the glory of winning championships and tournaments that coaches gloat about. the coach who says its not about winning will only have angry parents after a season with one or two wins. If your winning your kids are developing
I dont know of a team that is a developed team with a terrible record.
I dont know of a team with a great record that is terrible and no development.
People dont return if the product is bad.
its the Bandwagon of sport teams...
I like a separation idea club /Rec.
If you want the talent and numbers to grow than open the doors to nonresidents. or expect all team to have one team per age group at LMSA either Bronze or struggling silver teams.
Davis

Inglewood, CA

#3864 Jan 1, 2014
Residency odds a city issue
High School

Whittier, CA

#3865 Jan 1, 2014
Doors are open to non-residents. There just needs to be a large portion of LM players. Choose your non-resident players smart. If any of your non residents aren't starters then you have room to improve with outside players.

Without residency there is no club program! Live it, breath it ,deal with it! Now turn the page on this item.

Play time- A bigger fight will develop to protect this policy than to destroy it. Don't carry players if they are not able to play. Teams moving up will have to make these decisions in the fall. Those coaches wining about it just need to cut the players that shouldn't be there and/or reduce roster size so everyone gets there play time. No play time requirements at State Cup and League Cup. Every other game is for development.

Paid trainer- Any team can hire a trainer. All cost are directly attributed to the team that uses the service. It was mentioned earlier, most teams have and are using a trainer for their teams. This is not a LMSA issue. Have a team meeting and make a decision.

Paid Coaches- It sounds like some parents don't like the way their coach calls the game. They were happy when winning. Funny how things change when you are not even at the Silver level. These are teams that are using trainers and have since day one.

Players Leaving- Please, if you are on one of the teams and not happy, leave. Simple as that. The problem is when you sell your story to other parents for your benefit to take a whole team. Leave on your own. Let others make their decision. What is best for you is not best for the others. After two years it is well understood that you want to see what else is available.

Club Cost- you don't get a better value anywhere. Same cost as rec players plus any additional direct costs associated for your team. Nothing to fund those who profit on the added fees. Have your new club break down the costs to the penny of what you are paying. Are they sponsoring players on your back? Remember you have to help cove the cost of the board. Are $90 uniforms being sold for $150 with kick backs to the club. Do you get the benefit of tournament money raised by the club or are they charging you to play in your own tournament.

LMSA's entry into CSL was not to build a premier level program change 2-3K a season. There is an understanding that residency is key, play time is required to develop players, trainers are hired by the teams (their decision on what is best for them), cost are to be half or less that other clubs.

Even with all these hurdles in the first year 3 team are moving up, one if still around will also remain in silver. This is out of 7 teams. u15 may also advance. So with only 2 team out of the group rebuilding that isn't bad looking at the numbers. At least 3 other teams are moving up for signature also. Wake up and see the good.
High School

Whittier, CA

#3866 Jan 1, 2014
Winning does matter! That is what sports is about. That is what students strive to do at school. That is what we do searching for a job. That is what we do to get a promotion. everything comes around to winning. Think about it, you are competing in everything you do in life. The important part is winning and losing with class. Some have difficulty with the second one.
B13 lmsa

Los Angeles, CA

#3867 Jan 1, 2014
High School wrote:
Winning does matter! That is what sports is about. That is what students strive to do at school. That is what we do searching for a job. That is what we do to get a promotion. everything comes around to winning. Think about it, you are competing in everything you do in life. The important part is winning and losing with class. Some have difficulty with the second one.
Understandably we will not be as dominant in silver as we were in Bronze.
understanding and accepting the level is higher from signature to bronze to silver. If we can be better then 500 in silver we will be happy. Anything less and i guess the coach can be replaced.
that leads to my next question.
if you pay a coach who then decides for a trainer now you have two on payroll?
I guess if you get an idea what a season might cost early then you can opt out. Hate to see costs skyrocket.
Davis

La Habra, CA

#3868 Jan 1, 2014
Lmsa doesn't allow paid coaches
B13 lmsa

Los Angeles, CA

#3869 Jan 2, 2014
the conversation was in reference to LMSA considering paid coaching. Then to bring a paid trainer.
bronze

Los Angeles, CA

#3870 Jan 2, 2014
B13 lmsa wrote:
the conversation was in reference to LMSA considering paid coaching. Then to bring a paid trainer.
why would you have both.
LMSA contributor

Los Angeles, CA

#3871 Jan 2, 2014
bronze wrote:
<quoted text>
why would you have both.
That's what I've been saying. If you've got such a quality that deserves a paycheck he/she should be more than capable of doing what a trainer would do at least from a team perspective. Individual players always need work on different things but that's on them and their parents to do personal training if nees be. The only big exception might goalie training but LMSA offers that free almost every week from same trainer other leagues/teams use. Plus we're looking to offer more extensive player training sessions league wide anyways be it Friday nights or whatever. I'm all for paying the coach who's grinding it out several days a week than instead of the trainer who shows up once a month to milk the teams money. That's my vote
Davis

La Habra, CA

#3872 Jan 2, 2014
Any player that wants more out of soccer needs to have a private/personal trainer.
Coaches work on team training which isn't individual enough, most top level players have 1 on 1 training at least once a week that's were the biggest bang for the buck comes from in player development.
When your kid has trouble with something at school don't you try and find a tutor for the 1 on 1 instruction
Davis

La Habra, CA

#3873 Jan 2, 2014
Ok what part of my comment don't you aree with at least let's talk about?
Is it the part about your kid and a tutor?
Top players having 1 on 1 training?
Team training and player devolpment?

Come on lets talk this will be a great conversation to have
Jack

Los Angeles, CA

#3874 Jan 2, 2014
Davis wrote:
Any player that wants more out of soccer needs to have a private/personal trainer.
Bob, with all due respect, I know a lot of people who played at the D1 level, and none of them ever had a personal soccer trainer. Maybe this is a sign of the times (and clearly I'm getting old....), but the players I've seen have one on one training either just weren't good enough for the next level, or whose parents wanted it more than they did. An annual camp or two is one thing, but having a personal trainer just seems like a good way to waste money....
Davis

Inglewood, CA

#3875 Jan 2, 2014
Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
Bob, with all due respect, I know a lot of people who played at the D1 level, and none of them ever had a personal soccer trainer. Maybe this is a sign of the times (and clearly I'm getting old....), but the players I've seen have one on one training either just weren't good enough for the next level, or whose parents wanted it more than they did. An annual camp or two is one thing, but having a personal trainer just seems like a good way to waste money....
Ok you are saying that 1 on 1 training is a waste of time
How can more be bad?
I understand that maybe be new to us old timers but of you are competing against the test of the world, foreigners on college, how can seeing better not be good. when I grew up never heard of but today's world everyone of looking for that little something extra
If I were starting over with my kids they would have it, also 1on 1 I'd just like dad taking his kid to the park and working with them
Based on what I saw in club many I mean a lot of players had personal trainers
Davis

Inglewood, CA

#3876 Jan 2, 2014
Btw I give personal training to some of my girls and I know it has helped them
Not everyone learns at the same level and understanding, some of us have a harder time with striking the ball correctly but with a little time and work it happens
They would never have had the time at normal practice
LMSA contributor

Los Angeles, CA

#3877 Jan 2, 2014
Davis wrote:
Ok what part of my comment don't you aree with at least let's talk about?
Is it the part about your kid and a tutor?
Top players having 1 on 1 training?
Team training and player devolpment?
Come on lets talk this will be a great conversation to have
If someone takes the short bus to school do they need a tutor or a personal trainer ? Then the question becomes do you pay the tutor ? Or maybe we get the bus driver to be the trainer ?
LMSA

Whittier, CA

#3878 Jan 2, 2014
Sorry Mr Davis,
Kids either have the talent or not by the fifth or sixth year of playing soccer. Dont fool yourself in believing that with proper 1 on 1 training, a player will make it "big". Improvements are not going to be drastic so dont dream, it wont hurt. But money wiser spent would be on a strength and conditioning coach for an experienced player. Most kids working with personal trainers are because the parents want to squeeze more soccer out of Jr. that is probably all ready squeezed. Or yes Trainers are helpful in the first 2 or three years players begin the game.
Bob besides having the D lic did you ever really play the game?
In order to be a great dancer and teach it you have to have been a dancer to feel the steps rythem and beat
Not learned from a dance mannuel.
Davis

Inglewood, CA

#3879 Jan 3, 2014
I agree with what you said and I never said that they need it the rest of their lives that odds up to them
Kids need personal training to get started with correct fundamentals and thru the basics maybe specialty later but they need to be taught correctly
I don't understand why the argument against having personal training if kids just want to do better then why not what's it going to hurt? You make out sound like it's an insult if a kid wants to be better, personal training should be complete and age skill appropriate
I'm not trying to insult anyone but what it's going to hurt
Are you just doing a counter point against me because I said it and see trying to prove me wrong?
I've played sports my whole life and when ever I needed help I went and got it. I have a swing coach now because I want to be better I know I will never be a pro just but want to be by best I can so I can enjoy the game more what's wrong with that
Davis

Inglewood, CA

#3880 Jan 3, 2014
LMSA wrote:
Sorry Mr Davis,
Kids either have the talent or not by the fifth or sixth year of playing soccer. Dont fool yourself in believing that with proper 1 on 1 training, a player will make it "big". Improvements are not going to be drastic so dont dream, it wont hurt. But money wiser spent would be on a strength and conditioning coach for an experienced player. Most kids working with personal trainers are because the parents want to squeeze more soccer out of Jr. that is probably all ready squeezed. Or yes Trainers are helpful in the first 2 or three years players begin the game.
Bob besides having the D lic did you ever really play the game?
In order to be a great dancer and teach it you have to have been a dancer to feel the steps rythem and beat
Not learned from a dance mannuel.
Are you trying to say that I don't know how to play
other coach

Los Angeles, CA

#3881 Jan 3, 2014
There are a few types of coach.

1. The ones who played the game all their life.
2. The ones who learned it later to coach a team.

The ones who have done both will normally have more to offer. Bob understandably seeks the educational side for LMSA coaching. As a coach i like to feel the game and draw from playing background. Thats whete its been most helpful to me. No issues here about trainers cant hurt but if your level is topped out its wasting money. You need to be able to recognize that. A good trainer will tell you this insread of keep robbing you.
LMSA contributor

Los Angeles, CA

#3882 Jan 3, 2014
Playing career has nothing to do with how good of a coach you are. There's plenty of successful/championship coaches in all sports who never played. There's also been plenty of great players who can't coach a lick. Saying a kid either has it or doesn't after a few years of playing is false as well. Granted there's kids who are terrible and will never be any good and thats not who were talking about, but you can be an average player for more than 5-6 years and all it takes it a growth spurt or two and even puberty, or dare I say the right trainer and kid of any age can make drastic improvements in a short time. For god sakes Michael Jordan was cut from his high school team ! He also went on to be an absolutely terrible coach !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rowland Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News South El Monte mayor admits to 7-year bribery s... 3 hr concerned res 1
#Crack Wives Splatter 10 hr Martin Gallagher ... 2
News A girl waves a Mexican flag during rallies in L... (Mar '06) 11 hr Hanson Bologna 4,511
News Cynthia Kurtz: Taxes, negativity driving busine... (Oct '10) 11 hr Rat Chainy 3
News La Mirada hearing to allow McDonalda s Restaura... (Feb '15) 11 hr Raff Van Williams 5
Aurora Charter Oak Hospital... Problems Rock La... (Aug '08) 11 hr None 13
history of gangs in west covina (Dec '07) 16 hr aliso 2,759

Rowland Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rowland Heights Mortgages