Memorable places we forgot

Memorable places we forgot

There are 47 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Memorable places we forgot. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

BRAIN BLOWOUT: Memories rage on about the nightlife on the bustling rim of the Traffic Circle in the '60s and '70s, and, we must tearfully admit, most of the memories are a lot sharper than ours.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
joe cairo

Irvine, CA

#1 Feb 24, 2008
The "circuit", back in the day, was a Double Decker Hamburger from "Bob's Big Boy" on Bellflower (now a blockbuster video), Onion Rings from "Hof's Hut" (also on Bellflower) and French Fries with brown Gravy from "Hody's" (washed down with a Cherry Coke. Ahhh, the memories.

We'd all jam into the trunk of a buddy's car to sneak into the "Circle Drive-In", then hang at the "Clock".

I liked the "Cafe Antigua", a beatnik, bongo playing, poetry reading, espresso sipping hideout across from what is the now the Plaza Pool. "The Rouge et Noir" in Seal Beach was kinda cool, as well. I saw Ike and Tina at the CC. I also caught Jimmy Reed at the Airport Club (the quonset hut on PCH) and Paul Butterfield and Lenny Bruce at the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach.

That's a place that is really missed. "The Bear" was a breeding ground for great local music and a great club for well-known acts like the aforementioned and for regulars like Hoyt Axton. I remember watching "The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band coalesce there.

Another hot spot was" McCabes Guitar Shop " on Anahiem. All the talented pickers in town hung out there. Steve and Stan Carey with their Buddy Jeff White formed "The Trio Zot" , a very talented group playing bluegrass/hootenanny music.
Maureen

Long Beach, CA

#2 Feb 25, 2008
There was a Grisenger's (Grease-engers) on the corner of Bellflower and Spring too, if I'm not mistaken
Maureen

Long Beach, CA

#3 Feb 25, 2008
Oh, I'm Maureen, a Long Beach native...USA
Low Rider

Long Beach, CA

#4 Feb 25, 2008
No mention of the Gas Chamber, Spring and Temple, Long Beach?
Tahoe Skier

Lake Hamilton, FL

#5 Feb 25, 2008
Grisinger's was on the corner of Atlantic and San Antonio, and we from Poly considered it home. Those that knew the joint well always parked in the back row, the car's nose pointed inward so as to watch who cruised on bye. I still recall Jim Queen's magnificent '58 Impala coupe as being the fastest car at the impromptu drag races held on Cherry Avenue between the All Souls and Forest Lawn cemeteries.

A step beyond Grisinger's, however, was Hody's, located across from the golf course at the point where Anaheim meets PCH, if only because it was a larger venue and the cruisers' cars were a bit more elegant.

For the adventurous (read: those with enough coupons from Park's Texaco stations to fill their car's gas tank) ventured up to Whittier to Harvey's Broiler, or down to Newport to Whirly's on PCH (where the mall now sits). Ah, to be seventeen again and go on such a "road trip," eh?
HBL

Pasadena, CA

#6 Feb 25, 2008
Maureen wrote:
Oh, I'm Maureen, a Long Beach native...USA
Your last name wouldn't be Mercer by any chance, would it?
Jenny

AOL

#7 Mar 5, 2008
What ever happened to the famous Marconi brothers (Albert and Tony) who owned about 5 bars downtown? They started their bars (3 at first) around 1952 and continued through the late 70's or early 80's. Anybody with information plese email [email protected]
CHS

Upland, CA

#8 Mar 6, 2008
What about Naugles on Los Coyotes Diagonal? Great place to grab some food late Friday night after a Wilson football game!
kay

Rhome, TX

#9 Mar 17, 2008
I worked at the Cinder as cashier for 3 years,and it was the best time of my young life.So glad to here people enjoyed it so much
Gino62

Kingman, AZ

#10 May 23, 2008
Tahoe Skier wrote:
Grisinger's was on the corner of Atlantic and San Antonio, and we from Poly considered it home. Those that knew the joint well always parked in the back row, the car's nose pointed inward so as to watch who cruised on bye. I still recall Jim Queen's magnificent '58 Impala coupe as being the fastest car at the impromptu drag races held on Cherry Avenue between the All Souls and Forest Lawn cemeteries.
A step beyond Grisinger's, however, was Hody's, located across from the golf course at the point where Anaheim meets PCH, if only because it was a larger venue and the cruisers' cars were a bit more elegant.
For the adventurous (read: those with enough coupons from Park's Texaco stations to fill their car's gas tank) ventured up to Whittier to Harvey's Broiler, or down to Newport to Whirly's on PCH (where the mall now sits). Ah, to be seventeen again and go on such a "road trip," eh?
I beg to differ: Harvey's Broiler was in DOWNEY not Whittier (from 1958 - 1966).
Then it became JOHNIE'S (1966 - 2002).
Former Downey Resident

Manteca, CA

#11 Jul 1, 2008
How about Ferralls ice cream shop, with the candy store and the huge jawbreakers! The trough of ice cream and yummy hamburgers....
Dino

Bellflower, CA

#12 Jul 1, 2008
Former Downey Resident wrote:
How about Ferralls ice cream shop, with the candy store and the huge jawbreakers! The trough of ice cream and yummy hamburgers....
Was there a store in Long Beach? I remember them in Whittier and Rosemead...Loved that place!!

How about the Pike? Anyone remember that? Got my first tattoo there...
Former Downey Resident

Manteca, CA

#13 Jul 2, 2008
No, my mistake, it was in Downey at Stonewood mall...
Dino

Bellflower, CA

#14 Jul 3, 2008
No, my mistake, it was in Downey at Stonewood mall...
Never knew about that one...

Loved the one in Whittier...
Former Downey Resident

Manteca, CA

#15 Jul 14, 2008
It was in the Stonewood Mall ohhh in the 70-80's.
Dino

Bellflower, CA

#16 Jul 15, 2008
Ok, I thought that was the one in Whittier...

Since: Apr 08

San Bernardino, CA

#17 Jul 15, 2008
It was definatly Stonewood Mall way back before it was enclosed. My best friend worked there, they had the best candy shop and mozzerella sticks....memories!!
lkwd4ever

Los Angeles, CA

#18 Jul 15, 2008
cerritos mall too ...went to the movies and farrells for first dates !!! THE place to be seen back then in your low ride dittos from 5 7 9 store !
Former Downey Resident

Manteca, CA

#19 Jul 15, 2008
lol, dittos, had many pairs...Or Dove or OP shorts...The good old days!
lkwd4ever

Los Angeles, CA

#21 Jul 16, 2008
Now lets talk about mr softee trucks remember those great sprinkles and choc, dips...miss that too and helms trucks !!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rowland Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stalker case leads to lawsuit against St. Bruno... (Feb '13) 7 hr Your Mom 1,331
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 11 hr Anthony Ramon 35,119
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 15 hr LM Resident 10,276
Attention BP staff workers council people verba... Fri Cruz 14
News Crime and Public Safety, January 13 (Jan '10) Dec 13 Mr Smith 18
News Two critically injured during San Dimas house p... (Jul '09) Dec 11 DontactPrivileged 23
News Citizens arrest 27 day laborers at Rowland Heig... (May '09) Dec 8 la migra 419

Rowland Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rowland Heights Mortgages