Judge overturns California's ban on s...

Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

There are 201480 comments on the www.cnn.com story from Aug 4, 2010, titled Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage. In it, www.cnn.com reports that:

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.cnn.com.

Since: Aug 14

Location hidden

#233194 Jan 18, 2015
Cali Girl 2014 wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel the same way. AMERICA, love
it or leave it!
Funny how when you all do not love it, you do not leave it. American is not expanding to include orientation, one orientation does not exist that is made up, and two gay activism foes not mean America. Will you accept SCOTUS and the rightful ruling if they overturn the violations of state,s rights? Remember DOMa was ruled to violate state rights.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#233195 Jan 18, 2015
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
"Big D"??!! The original Big D?
Yeah I thought I would pop in and say hi
Big D

Modesto, CA

#233196 Jan 18, 2015
Justice_League wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny how when you all do not love it, you do not leave it. American is not expanding to include orientation, one orientation does not exist that is made up, and two gay activism foes not mean America. Will you accept SCOTUS and the rightful ruling if they overturn the violations of state,s rights? Remember DOMa was ruled to violate state rights.
I accept Americans, regardless of race, creed, color, sex religion, orientation, or national origin.

I do not accept those that hate our freedoms and would try to limit justice for Americans based on race, creed, color sex, religion, orientation or national origin.

We are the land of the free, freedom is NOT freedom to oppress other.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#233197 Jan 18, 2015
And the whole state rights issue was settled in the Civil War, states cannot discriminatly choose who they will make separate laws for, to oppress people

Location hidden

#233198 Jan 18, 2015
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I accept Americans, regardless of race, creed, color, sex religion, orientation, or national origin.
I do not accept those that hate our freedoms and would try to limit justice for Americans based on race, creed, color sex, religion, orientation or national origin.
Sounds nice to liberals. I accept people but denounce lies. Are saying that that people if a certain orientation do not belong to a race, sex creed, color or religion. Think about the nonsense perpetuated as truth.

Location hidden

#233199 Jan 18, 2015
Big D wrote:
And the whole state rights issue was settled in the Civil War, states cannot discriminatly choose who they will make separate laws for, to oppress people
what? Get an education, blacks were denied voting rights, education and jobs into the 1960s and the current protests expose that it continues. The 10th Amendment, state electoral, state senators, congressmen and governors say different. Stop lying only the gays are trying to make separate laws, since our traditional marriage laws apply to all. There were never any mention of same sex or even many other things, marriage is and was one man and one woman. Gays want separate laws for their behavior.

Location hidden

#233200 Jan 18, 2015
And the whole homosexuality is a behavior and sin was settled for 10,000 years. People in the US do not have the right to engage in prostitution which is outside of marriage so what makes you think marriage should be changed to include same sex and polygamy?
Big D

Modesto, CA

#233202 Jan 18, 2015
Justice_League wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds nice to liberals. I accept people but denounce lies. Are saying that that people if a certain orientation do not belong to a race, sex creed, color or religion. Think about the nonsense perpetuated as truth.
Sounds nice to Americans, I assume you are not one?

So tell me if that is offensive to you, which classes of Americans do you want law to specifically discriminate against?

It would also be interesting where you learned your hatred from, babies don't hate, it is a learned thing.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#233203 Jan 18, 2015
Justice_League wrote:
And the whole homosexuality is a behavior and sin was settled for 10,000 years. People in the US do not have the right to engage in prostitution which is outside of marriage so what makes you think marriage should be changed to include same sex and polygamy?
Wrong prostitution is legal in the US

The subject here is not polygamy do you suffer from ADHD, do you have difficulty keeping focus?
Big D

Modesto, CA

#233204 Jan 19, 2015
Justice_League wrote:
Sin? Our laws are not based upon any of the hundreds of thousands of religions man has made up over the thousands of years of human history. Our laws apply to everyone equally,.

No religion owns the word marriage or its definition,

You are the one that needs to get an education

You are free to believe or not any of the millions of Gods you wish.

But you do not get to apply your religion upon others, any more than other religions can force theirs upon you.

depending on which religion you subscribe to it is a sin to eat beef, or pork, to draw certain pictures, the list is very very long. All religious are equal in the eyes of the law, and the freedom of our nation. We don't make laws based on puny religious beliefs.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#233205 Jan 19, 2015
For 10,000 years of human history slavery has been a normal natural part of most civilizations.
for 10,000 years of human history people were put to death depending on which religion or other they believed.

etc etc etc

Just because something has been so for a long time. does not make it a good or moral thing.

Our founders created a great beginning, it was not perfect, they had to set the slavery issue aside for the time being, and made a lot of other compromises along the way. They were good men, but flawed men as we all are, they did the very best they could for the time they were in.

The greatest thing they achieved was a document that could be changed over time, a living constitution, that has been changed 27 times so far.

What is remarkable is how few times it has changed. They did a really good job.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#233206 Jan 19, 2015
The Good news is, the Supreme Court waited until a large majority of Sates recognized same Sex Marriage. It makes the case they could have made a year or two ago ( but decided to rule narrowly at the time ) much easier now.

Today Same Sex Marriage is recognized in 37 states, and all 50 states from the perspective of the federal government.

I remember this argument not all that long ago when it was a minority of states. The situation has totally changed.

Does anyone really question what is about to happen?

Thousands of businesses have petitioned to make it national law, they are having difficulty providing proper and legal benefits to their employees with different laws in different states on something as fundamental as legal marriage.

The decision will be easy, and obvious.
Nurse4Peace

Auburn, CA

#233207 Jan 19, 2015
It is about time that this despicable open discrimination be brought down!! Prop 8 would only be fair if gay people get to vote on the right of heterosexual people to marry! If you think that sounds ridiculous, so does prop 8!! This Mormon infused vote should never have happened!!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#233208 Jan 19, 2015
Big D wrote:
The Good news is, the Supreme Court waited until a large majority of Sates recognized same Sex Marriage. It makes the case they could have made a year or two ago ( but decided to rule narrowly at the time ) much easier now.
Today Same Sex Marriage is recognized in 37 states, and all 50 states from the perspective of the federal government.
I remember this argument not all that long ago when it was a minority of states. The situation has totally changed.
Does anyone really question what is about to happen?
Thousands of businesses have petitioned to make it national law, they are having difficulty providing proper and legal benefits to their employees with different laws in different states on something as fundamental as legal marriage.
The decision will be easy, and obvious.
They let the federal judiciary do their dirty work for them, because they didn't have the courage to make a decision either way.

Since: Nov 12

Sacramento, CA

#233209 Jan 19, 2015
Nurse4Peace wrote:
It is about time that this despicable open discrimination be brought down!! Prop 8 would only be fair if gay people get to vote on the right of heterosexual people to marry! If you think that sounds ridiculous, so does prop 8!! This Mormon infused vote should never have happened!!
I agree it's about over but with that said, do you believe that outside influences should be banned on supporting propositions? Every proposition is influenced by outside sources. How could 2% of the population vote for anything?
Big D

Modesto, CA

#233210 Jan 19, 2015
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
They let the federal judiciary do their dirty work for them, because they didn't have the courage to make a decision either way.
Well I agree that the Supreme Court could have settled this long ago when Prop 8 was brought in. They did take the safe way out, nullify it as they had no standing so it would apply to California alone.

You can call the Supreme Court cowards if you want, or you can say that they took a very safe path. It was obvious which direction things were heading, a vote across the US today would make it legal in a walk.

The problem is, as long as one state does this and another does that, it makes it near impossible for business to do business. So they took the longer safer path, where it is obvious to everyone which way the wind is blowing... and they fill finalize it across the US.

And although I understand gay folks are upset how long this took, in reality, it was incredibly fast. It took women decades to get the vote for example. This... has been a lightening stroke, even if it does not feel that way to them.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#233211 Jan 19, 2015
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>I agree it's about over but with that said, do you believe that outside influences should be banned on supporting propositions? Every proposition is influenced by outside sources. How could 2% of the population vote for anything?
That is so true... my favorite example of that was a decade or so ago and the "Save the Horses" proposition.

The proposition was that horses could not be raised in California for human consumption.

Sadly that proposition passed, and the financial backing for it....... Arizona ranchers that raise horses for human consumption that didn't want competition from California.

Always follow the money... that will tell you a lot about any proposition.

Prop 8 was mostly funded out of state, from Utah.... LOL
Joe fortuna

Portland, OR

#233212 Jan 19, 2015
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
What about the freedom to refuse service to anyone you choose, isn't that freedom, what you are saying is as long as it doesn't oppress the freedom you believe in it's OK. I do not believe, just because your black gay KKK you have the right to services I supple if I choose not to supple it to you. Not that I wouldn't supple them with services, it's still taking my right to do it if I choose to.
Joe fortuna

Portland, OR

#233213 Jan 19, 2015
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>I agree it's about over but with that said, do you believe that outside influences should be banned on supporting propositions? Every proposition is influenced by outside sources. How could 2% of the population vote for anything?
Personally I think you should have to be a registered voter in the area that is going to be influenced by the proposition or any person running for public office to give money.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#233214 Jan 19, 2015
Joe fortuna wrote:
<quoted text>
What about the freedom to refuse service to anyone you choose, isn't that freedom, what you are saying is as long as it doesn't oppress the freedom you believe in it's OK. I do not believe, just because your black gay KKK you have the right to services I supple if I choose not to supple it to you. Not that I wouldn't supple them with services, it's still taking my right to do it if I choose to.
That really depends, if you are running a private little cult like a church, you can decide not to let people with blue eyes join if you want to.

But if you are running a business, a licenced business, that is a totally different story

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rowland Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 8 min Davis 11,728
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 19 min Trojan 36,125
News 2 arrested in fatal shooting at Monterey Park p... (Apr '08) 45 min Juan 63
U.S. Owes White People Cardigans 12 hr Gene Simmons 1
La Mirada crime blotter May 6- 12, 2017 (May '17) Sat Box Bibbi 3
News Club hopping: The Crazy Horse (Jul '08) Fri Logic 172
Cops on Beach BLVD (Oct '11) Jun 22 Diego 3

Rowland Heights Jobs

Personal Finance

Rowland Heights Mortgages