Our View: Cancel 'Confucius Classroom'

There are 20 comments on the San Gabriel Valley Tribune story from Feb 11, 2010, titled Our View: Cancel 'Confucius Classroom'. In it, San Gabriel Valley Tribune reports that:

LAST week's board approval of a "Confucius Classroom" program for a middle school in Hacienda Heights is wrong on so many fronts that it's hard to succinctly list all the objections.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Gabriel Valley Tribune.

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
jam in the heights

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Feb 11, 2010
What is going on over here???? As a proud non-chinese resident since 1979 i have seen the winds of change pass through the heights by leaps and bounds, but this my friends is a complete insult to every person who is of non-chinese or asian decent, why on earth do we even need this program in a publicy-taxed-financed school, yes i now we have a very healthy asian population in the heights, but remember everyone they are not the only ones here, there is still a healthy population of everyone else too, be it anglo, hispanic, and everyone else, who loves living here because of the diversity of the community, please don't let our community become pigieon holed into a certain culture like our neighbors to the east, and to the west, we have the best of it all, this is just pure nonsense, if the parents of these kids want to teach their kids chinese culture, then teach them yourselves, like my parents taught me about their hispanic culture from my home, i didnt need anyone else teaching me where my parents came from or their particular culture, leave the schools alone to teach the basics of math, ENGILSH!, the sciences, art, and sports, and finally AMERICAN CULTURE, which is the most important culture we all need to embrace, that's the one that makes this place work, by embracing everyone's culture and mixing it in and then enhancing what we call the American Culture, that is what america is all about, the mix, learn it, and love it.... just my thoughts
jam in the heights

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Feb 11, 2010
sorry for the spelling errors i mean ENGLISH! see even my education still needs a bit of work, it never really ends...hee hee
Vince Perez

Alhambra, CA

#3 Feb 11, 2010
jam in the heights wrote:
What is going on over here???? As a proud non-chinese resident since 1979 i have seen the winds of change pass through the heights by leaps and bounds, but this my friends is a complete insult to every person who is of non-chinese or asian decent, why on earth do we even need this program in a publicy-taxed-financed school, yes i now we have a very healthy asian population in the heights, but remember everyone they are not the only ones here, there is still a healthy population of everyone else too, be it anglo, hispanic, and everyone else, who loves living here because of the diversity of the community, please don't let our community become pigieon holed into a certain culture like our neighbors to the east, and to the west, we have the best of it all, this is just pure nonsense, if the parents of these kids want to teach their kids chinese culture, then teach them yourselves, like my parents taught me about their hispanic culture from my home, i didnt need anyone else teaching me where my parents came from or their particular culture, leave the schools alone to teach the basics of math, ENGILSH!, the sciences, art, and sports, and finally AMERICAN CULTURE, which is the most important culture we all need to embrace, that's the one that makes this place work, by embracing everyone's culture and mixing it in and then enhancing what we call the American Culture, that is what america is all about, the mix, learn it, and love it.... just my thoughts
Excellent editorial and EXCELLENT response! WE LIVE IN THE USA and we will not allow the entire SGV to be usurped by Chinese nationalist self-glorification...
Vince Perez

Alhambra, CA

#4 Feb 11, 2010
jam in the heights wrote:
sorry for the spelling errors i mean ENGLISH! see even my education still needs a bit of work, it never really ends...hee hee
Excellent editorial and EXCELLENT response!
Kewlbreezes

Los Angeles, CA

#6 Feb 12, 2010
The notion of this class is just absurd. If this is considered appropriate I can hardly wait for Iran, North Korea and Afghanistan to install their classes in our educational system. Why import insurgents when we can grow our own?
Contributions

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Feb 12, 2010
Kewlbreezes wrote:
The notion of this class is just absurd. If this is considered appropriate I can hardly wait for Iran, North Korea and Afghanistan to install their classes in our educational system. Why import insurgents when we can grow our own?
I think it's a little late to be whining about un-American foreign influences when the district is named "Hacienda La Puente".
Kewlbreezes

Los Angeles, CA

#9 Feb 12, 2010
Contributions wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's a little late to be whining about un-American foreign influences when the district is named "Hacienda La Puente".
Hacienda La Puente is a reflection of the state's origins...not an un-American influence. It's an appropriate name in California.
I love the melting-pot flavor this country stands for. I just think we need to keep other countrys' dogma and agenda's out of our own culture and embrace our own. Oh, and learn the difference between a whine and a sardonic observation...with a little more education perhaps someday you will.
Fear for sale

La Puente, CA

#10 Feb 12, 2010
This is the difference between real journalism and ignorant xenophobia, and the difference between an educated community and one stuck in the past. Guess where the Tribune and its readership is trying to fit in.

http://www.breezeobserver.com/Free/MAIN-smi-c...

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/articles/2009/...

http://www.sgvtribune.com/ci_14320223

This editorial is an even poorer rehash of an already shoddily written news article from last week. I have not come to expect much from the Tribune, but I did expect more than this. Comparing Chinese teaching interns teaching Chinese language and culture to Venezuelan "cadres" teaching economics? Wow.

First, you need to wipe the froth from your mouth. Second, you should explain to your readers why Chinese people teaching Chinese language and culture is the same as Venezuelans teaching economics, because you lost me there. Are you being racist by claiming that the Chinese aren't qualified to teach their own language and culture, or are you saying that Hugo Chavez is as knowledgable on economics as the Chinese are on the Chinese language and culture that they created... which I guess would make you a communist?

By the way, China is not any more communist than America is democratic. If fact, China has so completely mastered capitalism that it now loans the United States money so that our country can continue to buy Chinese goods. And America is so democratic that even if you win the most votes, you don't get elected President. But that's probably going way over your head.
Roger

Monrovia, CA

#11 Feb 12, 2010
Fear for sale wrote:
This is the difference between real journalism and ignorant xenophobia, and the difference between an educated community and one stuck in the past. Guess where the Tribune and its readership is trying to fit in.
This editorial is an even poorer rehash of an already shoddily written news article from last week. I have not come to expect much from the Tribune, but I did expect more than this. Comparing Chinese teaching interns teaching Chinese language and culture to Venezuelan "cadres" teaching economics? Wow.
First, you need to wipe the froth from your mouth. Second, you should explain to your readers why Chinese people teaching Chinese language and culture is the same as Venezuelans teaching economics, because you lost me there. Are you being racist by claiming that the Chinese aren't qualified to teach their own language and culture, or are you saying that Hugo Chavez is as knowledgable on economics as the Chinese are on the Chinese language and culture that they created... which I guess would make you a communist?
By the way, China is not any more communist than America is democratic. If fact, China has so completely mastered capitalism that it now loans the United States money so that our country can continue to buy Chinese goods. And America is so democratic that even if you win the most votes, you don't get elected President. But that's probably going way over your head.
Excellent!
Vince Perez

Monrovia, CA

#13 Feb 12, 2010
Fear for sale wrote:
I'm not sure where you're coming from, but I think you miss the point of our shock and dismay. Perhaps you don't live in the area, or perhaps you DO! There is nothing wrong in learning about other cultures, IMO; however, allowing foreign state-sponsored propaganda into American classrooms is absolutely wrong..and that is what this is. It might be one thing to have a Chinese Poet come in to read poetry, or to have Mexican Flamenco dancers perform for a special period on that culture, but please, don't try to convince me that when the Chinese government steps into our schools to "help" us understand the world, they are not also attempting to deflect our attention from the very real threat that China holds for freedom and democracy throughout the world. I think your attitude reflects what I've come to perceive as a very real Chinese nationalistic/culturalistic narcissism.
I am scared

Hacienda Heights, CA

#15 Feb 14, 2010
What do you think these terrible spies from China will misrepresent about their Chinese language and culture?
Maybe they will falsely tell our children that they won't eat their dog. Then Fido will go missing. They will probably deny knowing kung-fu, and when you least expect it you will get a throwing star in your neck!
Maybe, they teach our kids to say poo-poo in Chinese but claim they are teaching them to say thank you. Then they laugh, hahaha!
Actually, I think the most dangerous thing they will do is insist that their civilization is more than 4000 years old, which of course is a LIE since China was NEVER mentioned in the Bible. They must be stopped!
RayH

Shenzhen, China

#16 Feb 15, 2010
Contributions wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because Uncle Sam has occupied a part of Mexico.
RayH

Shenzhen, China

#17 Feb 15, 2010
I am scared wrote:
What do you think these terrible spies from China will misrepresent about their Chinese language and culture?
Maybe they will falsely tell our children that they won't eat their dog. Then Fido will go missing. They will probably deny knowing kung-fu, and when you least expect it you will get a throwing star in your neck!
Maybe, they teach our kids to say poo-poo in Chinese but claim they are teaching them to say thank you. Then they laugh, hahaha!
Actually, I think the most dangerous thing they will do is insist that their civilization is more than 4000 years old, which of course is a LIE since China was NEVER mentioned in the Bible. They must be stopped!
When the Bible was written, China was already 3,000 years old.
Contributions

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Feb 15, 2010
RayH wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because Uncle Sam has occupied a part of Mexico.
They could've easily changed the name to something more "American" after the US took over.

The fact that they kept it implies that they don't care if the foreign influence is european in origin, but anywhere else(like Asia) and all bets are off.

That's called cultural double standards and thinly veiled racism.

They would've had a much better platform for their argument if their district had a native american name named after one of the tribes that lived there.
smallville

Shanghai, China

#19 Feb 15, 2010
I am scared wrote:
True writing, or phonetic writing, records were developed independently in four different civilizations in the world, namely Sumeria, Egypt, China, and Mesoamerica.

The very existence of ancient original civilisations are absolute. We do not need this fictional novel to mention us. Archeological evidence can not even prove the existence of that “King Soloman”. But this is not the case of China, we are still digging our supposed earlier writing but our already mature writing system oracle bone scripts around 1500BC-1000BC well recorded the king list of China between 1600BC to 1046BC which almost match our later historical documents(official). And these oracle bone scripts also well recorded 14 ancestors before 1600BC and some of them match other historical documents(not official).

We feel sorry for our ancient Egyptian, Sumerian elder brothers. They were the beacons of this world but their civilisations(race believe language writing) died because of barbarian invasions. And our younger brother Mesoamerican, they are also going on not well. Yes. They were all stopped. Stopped by barbarism.

No. We can not let this trend going on. Here, now, is what we as the last original civilisation on this planet will hold the line and repel evil barbarism.
Vince Perez

West Covina, CA

#20 Feb 15, 2010
smallville wrote:
<quoted text>
True writing, or phonetic writing, records were developed independently in four different civilizations in the world, namely Sumeria, Egypt, China, and Mesoamerica.
The very existence of ancient original civilisations are absolute. We do not need this fictional novel to mention us. Archeological evidence can not even prove the existence of that “King Soloman”. But this is not the case of China, we are still digging our supposed earlier writing but our already mature writing system oracle bone scripts around 1500BC-1000BC well recorded the king list of China between 1600BC to 1046BC which almost match our later historical documents(official). And these oracle bone scripts also well recorded 14 ancestors before 1600BC and some of them match other historical documents(not official).
We feel sorry for our ancient Egyptian, Sumerian elder brothers. They were the beacons of this world but their civilisations(race believe language writing) died because of barbarian invasions. And our younger brother Mesoamerican, they are also going on not well. Yes. They were all stopped. Stopped by barbarism.
No. We can not let this trend going on. Here, now, is what we as the last original civilisation on this planet will hold the line and repel evil barbarism.
Repel it all you want - but begin with the "evil barbarism" in your own country.

"I think your attitude reflects what I've come to perceive as a very real Chinese nationalistic/culturalistic narcissism."

Point proven...
ngali

Yangzhou, China

#21 Feb 15, 2010
America could learn a lot from Confucian values that have contributed greatly to stable and just societies, not only in China, but even more so in Korea and Japan.

What "evil barbarism" there is in China (a wildly hyperbolic misnomer by the way) lies in issues of governance, which are well out of step with Confucian ideas.
Vince Perez

West Covina, CA

#22 Feb 15, 2010
What "evil barbarism" there is in China (a wildly hyperbolic misnomer by the way) lies in issues of governance, which are well out of step with Confucian ideas.

It's not MY hyperbole, BTW. It came from your compatriot. You usually get the government you deserve, so maybe YOU should learn a little more from OUR foundational principles. Perhaps we could learn from each other?
Vince Perez

West Covina, CA

#23 Feb 15, 2010
So, why don't I send over an "American Classroom" to your schools to help you learn OUR ways? Do you think that would fly?
Vince Perez

West Covina, CA

#24 Feb 15, 2010
Better yet, we'll call it the "Lincoln Classroom." Then, maybe the Tibetans would stand a chance...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rowland Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cathy Torrez murder in 1994 (Jul '07) 2 hr Placentia Resident 19
history of gangs in west covina (Dec '07) 2 hr BACKINTHEDAY 2,634
Tuttle's Man Crush 3 hr Cinco 8
Tuttle Secret Bromance 3 hr Curious 5
Tuttle Turd has NO swag! 3 hr Loyal 1
Suspected Fullerton Home Destroys Arson 3 hr Fred N 2
News Anaheim transit adds route with stops at Disney... 4 hr Whiny1 1
More from around the web

Rowland Heights People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE