Some Irwindale residents call on city to disband Police Department

Oct 22, 2013 Full story: Pasadena Star-News 23

IRWINDALE >> Alleged corruption in the Police Department has prompted some community members to call on the city to disband its police force and opt to contract with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Car Parker

West Covina, CA

#23 Oct 25, 2013
• Hire a full-time Human Resources manager.

• Submit to JPIA for review and approval any proposed adverse personnel discipline against city employees.

• Notify JPIA of all anticipated internal investigations of employees within 10 days of starting investigations.

• Meet quarterly with JPIA staff to review progress on the PIP.

• Notify JPIA of an complaints that involve allegations of harassment, discrimination, retaliation or police misconduct. City must submit a plan of action as to how it will respond to complaint, which JPIA will review and approve.

• Council members must take training on council relations and cooperation.

Of JPIA’s 123 members in California, only the city of Cudahy is on a PIP. Calexico, in Imperial County, is in the same situation as Irwindale, where JPIA staff have created a PIP for the city.

In 2010, JPIA dropped the city of Maywood from its coverage. The city failed to implement its PIP, which was imposed as a result of excessive claims filed against the Police Department. After its insurance was dropped, the city laid off nearly all of its employees and contracted with Bell to run city departments.

JPIA, in an August memo from May to the Executive Committee, pointed to a number of “areas of concerns” in the city including:

• 14 internal affairs investigations underway in the Police Department;

• A woman filed a $20 million civil lawsuit against the city after a police officer allegedly assaulted her during a traffic stop;

• Former City Manager Steve Blancarte pleaded guilty in 2011 to misappropriating public funds and paid $20,000 in restitution and fines;

• Charges of embezzlement, conflict of interest and misappropriation of public funds filed against City Councilmen Mark Breceda and Garcia, former City Councilwoman Rosemary Ramirez and retired Finance Director Abe De Dios;

• Concern that the City Council is putting pressure on outcomes of internal investigations;

• The resignation of the Human Resource manager in March through a signed separation and settlement agreement after unauthorized contract amendments were approved for three department heads totaling $85,000.
annoyed

Baldwin Park, CA

#34 Oct 28, 2013
Car Parker wrote:
Listen up I said I am a resident and I am a resident. Neither the paper or I said I was a resident of Irwindale. I am a resident of Duarte. That makes me a resident. Deal with it
Resident of DUARTE so worry about the politics in Duarte!!! You're so annoying.
Herman Munster

Methuen, MA

#36 Oct 29, 2013
Why not make those cops move next door to that stinky hot pepper sauce factory. It would be a good way to get rid of them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rowland Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Trojan 27,922
Louie Lujan Government Relations 6 hr Ben Frank 3
were his all the og sgv taggers at (Dec '07) 10 hr da nonactive chav... 967
LMP gang celebrates 31 years (Jun '08) 10 hr La Mirada 1,747
That old bigot Ogden (Dec '13) 11 hr BurntNose 5
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 13 hr Honestly 5,094
Roger Hernandez Arrested 13 hr Johnny Boy 3

Rowland Heights News Video

Rowland Heights Dating
Find my Match