Marlen Garcia makes Ass of self Again.

Posted in the Rowland Heights Forum

Car Parker

Azusa, CA

#2 Sep 16, 2013
The fifth person to speak was Erik, 18. He was the star of the week. Council Member Marlen Garcia verbally attacked Erik on Facebook because he was protesting online about how she was wrong for cutting the boxing program. Marlen Garcia called him misinformed. She alleged that the boxers were selfish because we only care about our program and not the rest of the City. She also stated that we "strong armed" her - "no pun intended." I guess she thought herself clever, but this lady has been screaming bloody murder because she's now apparently the victim by this eighteen year old.

Before he spoke, he wanted help with his speech. So, I looked it over and taught him some lawyering skills. I said to Erik, "At this point of your speech, you want to break it down point by point. Ask a question. Pause a few seconds. Then start again." I thought that was pretty cool that I was teaching an eighteen year old some advance lawyering points.

He said, "Good evening, my name is Erik Garcia. I'm part of the boxing club. I'm enrolled in Cal Poly Pomona. I'm here to talk about how Council Member Garcia verbally attacked me on facebook. I'm here to clarify some of the statements she made towards me."

At this point, I saw shock in the face of the audience. I saw people shaking their heads.

Erik said, "First, Ms. Garcia proceeded to call me misinformed. It is to my knowledge that the boxing program has enough money to fund itself from Monday to Thursday, possibly even Friday. But our money is being funneled elsewhere. But let me tell you - I think Council Member Garcia it's you who are misinformed.

"Council Member, do you know what the boxing budget is?

"23,000.

"Do you know what other programs are mixed in with the boxing budget?

"There are many others, but the main one is the City Fleet. This is the city cars.

"Do you know what the Aquatics budget is?

"I do. It's $200,000.

"How about our coaches? Do you know how much the boxing coaches get paid?

"It's $8.40.

"Do you know how much your daughter got paid?

"It's $10.40.

"Do you know how much Jessie got paid? If you don't know who he is, she's a friend of Marlen's daughter?

"$10.40.

"Do you know how long Julian Casas, head boxing coach, has been working without a raise?

"14 years.

"Nope, you don't know anything. Ms. Garcia, I suggest you get your facts straight before you go on a rant, attacking eighteen year olds."
Car Parker

Azusa, CA

#3 Sep 16, 2013
When the first boxers spoke, I stood up with him in the podium, so he wouldn't be nervous. Can you imagine a teenager speaking in front of a podium with all of the management team and the councillors and mayor staring at them? It's intimidating for adults. It's hard for them too. And the harder part is that The Tres Amigos hate us because we're not afraid to expose them. We're not afraid to speak the truth. We're not afraid to take a stand against them. For, I'm reminded that in our weakness, God's grace will be sufficient. So as I stood side by side, each kid walked up and spoke.

The first person to speak was Zach. He explained how the purpose of the community center is to provide for the community. Why do the Council Members keep cutting? He stated that they are either inept or corrupt. He then attacked the director's salary of $160,000 a year.

The second person to speak was Michael, 18 years old, a soon-to-be college student. He said that, "I've been taught to be fair and not to lie. But it seems like you've been unfair to our boxing program. Your funding has been bad. You've lied to us. You promised to improve our facility. But we still have torn bags. You see all these young kids. They have happy faces when they go. We're grateful for what we have. But we deserve more."

He then said, "You all went to school. So you should learn to stick to your word. You shouldn't be in the position you're in because you don't know simple values."

The third person to speak was Lyle, 17. He said, "I've been boxing for six years. I train hard. I'm happy to see the coaches. They're happy to see me. I've heard that you've been trying to raise the fees for boxing. The fees used to be $5 for us. Now it's $10. My brothers stopped going because it got to expensive. I'm going to start college soon. And my father can't afford it." (Just a side note. I liked Lyle. He was my sparring partner. And he gave me a black eye once. Why that makes me respect him; who knows? That's boxing.)

The fourth person to speak was Liam, 16. He said, "I've been in boxing for two months. I like boxing. It's better than me sitting and watching tv. I heard about the fees going up. We don't even have more than one speed bag. I have to wait around. It's unfair you raised the prices this year. And then you cut our hours."
Car Parker

Azusa, CA

#4 Sep 16, 2013
Then Julian, the head coach spoke. He said, "There's a problem with the budget. The numbers are showing that the boxing program pays for itself. There's no way to trace the boxing budget. How could anyone in their right mind mix up the budget with the City Fleet? We're getting gypped. The Aquatics Program is running at $200,000. That's human resources. I can't understand why there's this huge gap between boxing and aquatics?"

Julian then said, "Ms. Susan Rubio and Council Member Pacheco, I would like to put the Director of Parks and Recreation's fitness as an agenda item for the next council meeting. I would like to get your assurance about this. The boxers have needlessly suffered enough because the director is unfit to manage the program. It'd be good if we could do that." People clapped.
Hilarious

Corona, CA

#5 Sep 17, 2013
Oh my goodness, would you believe Marlen Garcia just got endorsed to run for Azusa city counsel!! I needed a good laugh. The sad part is, in the end, the joke is going to be on the residents of Azusa if they elect her, because they will be bankrupt within 10 years, guaranteed.

Oh, and anything worth recognition.....kiss it good bye! Haha

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rowland Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr tom wingo 29,523
Message For God's Elect Children The Jewish Peo... 2 hr World_Jihad 3
Pacheco Trying to Push Solar in BP Ha Ha 4 hr Pacheco Failure 2
Pacheco and Taylor Causing Major Internal Problems 4 hr Corruption 16
Pacheco and Taylor get Reynosa his Chief Job 4 hr Remove 8
Pacheco and Taylor Screw City and POA 4 hr Remove 3
News Longest-serving Santa Cruz traffic cop retires (Aug '10) 9 hr Paul Mendoza 110
More from around the web

Rowland Heights People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]