Liking Parnell Park

There are 40 comments on the Whittier Daily News story from May 29, 2008, titled Liking Parnell Park. In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

Congratulations and belated thanks to the Whittier City Council for the renovation and upgrade of Parnell Park.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sandy- Whittier

Downey, CA

#25 Jun 5, 2011
I to was at Parnell in 68 I graduated that year
I rode Okie had short dark brown hair hun out with all lockwood and debbie palmer . E-mail address [email protected]
Barbara Miller Todd

Huntington Beach, CA

#26 Jun 7, 2011
Sandy cantact me your Email is not working Barbaratodd63@Gmail- Love to talk to you. Go the Face Book and check out Parnell School-
Dan Norton

Fullerton, CA

#27 May 16, 2012
None of the original school remains. The senior center was built a few years ago.
What do you think of the sculpture in front?
Bob Mutchler

Forest, VA

#29 Jul 9, 2012
I lived on dunton dr 4 houses from Cole rd 1957-1992.I remember when the school closed and a housing developer was going to by the land and tear down all the buildings and put up hi-rise apt buildings.My wife Hope and all the neighborhood ladies started a petition to stop the action.They had to go before the board of supervisors to present the petition.my wife was the spokesperson for the group.Bonilli was the suprvisor for our district and he and my wife had crossed swords before about street lites on dunton!!Needless to say our group won the battle and the county agreed tobuy the land and turn it into a park!Bonilli(sp) wanted to name the park after him!!The group said no since he wanted the apts in the 1st place!They decided to nameit after the school!!Us husbands ate hot dogs and beans for weeks because the ladies were out gathering signatures!
Mary Eisenhart

Oakland, CA

#30 Jun 30, 2013
I confess, I did not go to Parnell. I lived in the neighborhood in the '50s and '60s, and going to visit the horses in the pasture (I remember one pale palomino guy in particular. Maybe a cremello?) was one of the high points of my life. Going to the horse show was really exciting. Thanks for bringing back the memories...
Linda Baker

Seattle, WA

#31 Aug 9, 2013
Lovely to read about Parnell and I had such a great year there in 59-60. I was in 8th grade and I was a boarder. Everyone called me "Alabama" because that was where I was from. I was allowed to bring my german shepherd dog 'Susie", who I wrote many stories about in letters to my Mom. I took piano lessons and rode horses, and swam. I loved morning chores and remember sweeping the walks and bathroom duty, etc. I loved the routine and the studies. I remember the ranch and camping out there, and the trip to visit some gorgeous forest of trees, that was magical. Loved watching 77 sunset strip, and with Nina whose Mom had a part in it! Morning singing was beautiful and the Quaker church we sometimes attended, Richard Nixon's home church.
I have often wondered what happened to Karen Price, my best friend, whose Mom worked at Disneyland and in the summer we went everyday for a week! I believed that boarding schools like Parnell were the greatest for 13 year old girls, and our dorm had such a great time. The end of the year dance was a first and they imported all these boys in to dance with us! It was a magical year in my life and what I received was immeasurable from the teachers and Miss Yoder, and Miss Baker. Blessings on them. I never had horses but daughter owned a thoroughbred and now my grandson goes to horse camp in the summers in Washington.
Charlotte Rysanek

Chino Hills, CA

#32 Nov 15, 2014
Barbara Miller Todd wrote:
I attended Parnell from 1968-1963- Last graduating class. Moved to ranch after graduation to work or Miss "Yo". Was very close to her, she was truly a mentor to me. Am sorry to say I lost contact with her after 1968. Was she living when the school was closed ? I remember most of you that hacve commented on this page. What happened to Nikki Ridley, Carole Clayborne, Louise Marsshall ? so many great friends over the years. I had married and was also living in Chino - showing Arabs. my husband died in 1968 and I moved from the area and stopped showing horses. Best time of my life...Have ridden some jumping horses in the last few years. Pasture horses.. Black Beauy, Sunny , Tarbaby- Hector, Raunchy and Hoby Jo. Would love to hear from anyone.. What can anyone tell me about Miss Yoder, also what happened to Roy and Janie. I had heard Joko (Wardner) died in an accident at the Ranch.
Hi Barbara,
I can't tell you what a wonderful surprise it was to see you tonight. I can't wait to have some time to visit and see where life has taken us. Fortunately, horses have remained a very important part of our lives. Jennifer Baily's horse, Bently, is now at our stable. We have much catching up to do.
Charlotte Rolland Rysanek
Jane and Sun-up

Paso Robles, CA

#33 Feb 27, 2015
Can anyone direct me to an earlier time? like '40-'50 and around '55-'56? I was there twice.
Thanks,
(Billee) Jane (Woerner) Alexander
Jane and Sun-up

Paso Robles, CA

#34 Feb 27, 2015
Mary Eisenhart wrote:
I confess, I did not go to Parnell. I lived in the neighborhood in the '50s and '60s, and going to visit the horses in the pasture (I remember one pale palomino guy in particular. Maybe a cremello?) was one of the high points of my life. Going to the horse show was really exciting. Thanks for bringing back the memories...
Yeah, me too! "Sun Up", or "Sunny," or "Allahs Golden Son" Was born at Parnell around 1949, He was by Allah Amarward of the H H Reese Ranch, out of Leilani. I was there grades 1-2 and half of 3, Back to Parnell in 7the and 8th grades I road him every day. He was the love of my life. So good to remember him with you. I now volunteer at A horse Sanctuary in San Miguel, just came from there.
Somewhere I may have pictures of him and Smoky.
Best, Jane

Since: Feb 15

Paso Robles, CA

#35 Feb 27, 2015
Brahmamama1 wrote:
How thrilled I was to read the DeSotos comments "Liking Parnell Park". Parnell Park used to be the site of Parnell Preparatory School For Girls. I attended and loved that school from the 4th grade thru 8th. I was eight years old when I started there and am now 64. Parnell was a beautiful school and many Hollywood stars sent their girls there.
I have driven by there and noticed that the building that I am supposing is the Senior Center is still standing. It was the last building built on the property in the early 1950's. It was called Hunter Hall. That's where we had study hall and I performed on the stage there many a times dancing ballet, doing plays and reciting poetry. I see the riding ring is still there as we used to have many horses. However, the beautiful swimming pool has been removed as well as the old Victorian house which was the "Main House" and Peppertree House which was the dorm for the younger students. It is sad to see the little building that were classrooms gone as well as the barn. Many good memories as I drive by Parnell!
Thank you City of Whittier for keeping the name and keeping it a nice place for all.
Trisha Bowler
Diamond Bar
I was there when Hunter Hall was being built, 1st 2nd and half of third.
Then back in the 7th and 8th to ditch study (Hunter) hall to visit Sunny out in the pasture.
J

Paso Robles, CA

#37 Feb 28, 2015
Karin wrote:
I too went to Parnell School for girls in 1952 or 1953. I think I was the youngest student in the school and I boarded. I remember all the horses and a Halloween (I think) party in the barn with bales of hay. I also remember the main house and the swimming pool. Parnell was where I felt my first earthquake. I am glad to know some parts of the school still remain.
Do you remember a light palomino colt born at Parnell?'Sun Up'?

Paso Robles, CA

#38 Feb 28, 2015
Charlotte Rysanek wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Barbara,
I can't tell you what a wonderful surprise it was to see you tonight. I can't wait to have some time to visit and see where life has taken us. Fortunately, horses have remained a very important part of our lives. Jennifer Baily's horse, Bently, is now at our stable. We have much catching up to do.
Charlotte Rolland Rysanek
Hi Charlotte, I'll be looking for Barbara s post to reply to it. She Knew Sunny! He was the love of my life and we would sign class photos accordingly, like 'To Christy and Riward from Jane and Sun Up' That's why I used that moniker here.
I would love to say Hi to Louise, and I remember Carol, too.
We Saw Diane Olds showing her Andalusian with the Lippizans some years back, went 'backstage', said Hi.
I was just thinking about 'Tar' the other day, while trying to worm the crazy little ponies at Heaven Can Wait Equine Sanctuary where I volunteer.
I'm brand new at this site and don't know much, so if you want to pass this along, please do.
Best,
Jane and Sun Up

Paso Robles, CA

#39 Feb 28, 2015
Jane and Sun-up wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you remember a light palomino colt born at Parnell?'Sun Up'?
He may have been grown by your time.'Sunny'?
Best,
Jane

Paso Robles, CA

#40 Mar 1, 2015
Mary Eisenhart wrote:
Sunny was the best, and I thought I'd replied to this, but I guess he had many friends. Half Arab son of Allah Amarward out of Leilani, born at Parnell in 1949 or1950.
Nice to know he's remembered.
Jane

Paso Robles, CA

#41 Mar 1, 2015
Parnell Alumnist wrote:
<quoted text>
Charlotte - I saw your post on Parnell - I went there in 1962-63. We are now on Facebook! You might want to check us out - they are trying to find more alumnists!
Happy New Year!
Kimberly Mack
I was there about 1949 to 1952 and again in '55-'57,(B) Jane W Alexander
Denise cote

Phoenix, AZ

#42 Mar 15, 2015
Brahmamama1 wrote:
How thrilled I was to read the DeSotos comments "Liking Parnell Park". Parnell Park used to be the site of Parnell Preparatory School For Girls. I attended and loved that school from the 4th grade thru 8th. I was eight years old when I started there and am now 64. Parnell was a beautiful school and many Hollywood stars sent their girls there.
I have driven by there and noticed that the building that I am supposing is the Senior Center is still standing. It was the last building built on the property in the early 1950's. It was called Hunter Hall. That's where we had study hall and I performed on the stage there many a times dancing ballet, doing plays and reciting poetry. I see the riding ring is still there as we used to have many horses. However, the beautiful swimming pool has been removed as well as the old Victorian house which was the "Main House" and Peppertree House which was the dorm for the younger students. It is sad to see the little building that were classrooms gone as well as the barn. Many good memories as I drive by Parnell!
Thank you City of Whittier for keeping the name and keeping it a nice place for all.
Trisha Bowler
Diamond Bar
My two aunts attended Parnell in 1955-56. Their names are Irene and Crystal Brown. I have been looking for someone who attended with them for several years. Did you know them ?

Paso Robles, CA

#43 Mar 17, 2015
Bob Mutchler wrote:
I lived on dunton dr 4 houses from Cole rd 1957-1992.I remember when the school closed and a housing developer was going to by the land and tear down all the buildings and put up hi-rise apt buildings.My wife Hope and all the neighborhood ladies started a petition to stop the action.They had to go before the board of supervisors to present the petition.my wife was the spokesperson for the group.Bonilli was the suprvisor for our district and he and my wife had crossed swords before about street lites on dunton!!Needless to say our group won the battle and the county agreed tobuy the land and turn it into a park!Bonilli(sp) wanted to name the park after him!!The group said no since he wanted the apts in the 1st place!They decided to nameit after the school!!Us husbands ate hot dogs and beans for weeks because the ladies were out gathering signatures!
THANK YOU SO MUCH for preserving that land, from all of us who remember Parnell. I was there when we all walked through the, then, orange groves to the church on Sunday. When I returned to the school a few years later, all the orange groves were gone, replaced by 'tickey tackey' houses.

Paso Robles, CA

#44 Mar 17, 2015
Jane and Sun-up wrote:
Can anyone direct me to an earlier time? like '40-'50 and around '55-'56? I was there twice.
Thanks,
(Billee) Jane (Woerner) Alexander
Oops, that should be '49 -'52 ja
Jane

Paso Robles, CA

#45 Apr 26, 2016
Kathleen wrote:
I also am a Parnell alumnus. Graduated from eighth grade there(58-60). I remember Charlotte. Her mom took the entire(15) class to Hollywood Park and to a party at her house in Larchmont. And an overnight for my dorm room to Chrisines's house in Huntington Beach and meeting her wire haired dauschounds(sp?). And hearing my first dirty joke at the swings out by the pool. And sneaking out to the clothes line to find out what size bra Miss Yoder wore. And the rumors about Miss Baker's limp. And watching "77 Sunset Strip" on Friday nights, the only TV night. And the talent shows. I still remember the girl who lip synced Marty Robbins "El Paso". And slopping the pigs. And the night we were all distracted by something so we wouldn't find out that there was breeding going on in the barn. And going to the Kellogg Horse shows. And going out to the ranch for day trips. And the visits by the DAR. And Johnny Green concerts in Hunter Hall. For me, it was a relief to be there. Even though I was probably thought of of kinda weird. And parent's day. And Tay's mother car, a Chrysler Imperial, very exotic.
I graduated 8th in '57. Are you on our facebook page? JA
Jane

Paso Robles, CA

#46 Apr 26, 2016
Denise cote wrote:
<quoted text>

My two aunts attended Parnell in 1955-56. Their names are Irene and Crystal Brown. I have been looking for someone who attended with them for several years. Did you know them ?
Show your aunts Dianne Olds Rossie on you tube! I'm sure they'll remember her. I went back to P in '56. Have your aunts found our facebook page?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rowland Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Shootings in Whittier, Norwalk areas believed t... 3 hr Indee 1
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 4 hr Just saying 8,165
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 4 hr MidPhartz 32,924
green lighted west covina 13 ex-member (Mar '12) Fri Spanky 23
News Girl who came to U.S. illegally can't get loans (May '10) Fri riot illegals 3,255
News A girl waves a Mexican flag during rallies in L... (Mar '06) Apr 24 NKOTBLOCC 4,544
News Rowland Heights man working as tutor for Santa ... Apr 18 Georgia Levin 2

Rowland Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rowland Heights Mortgages