Liking Parnell Park

There are 40 comments on the Whittier Daily News story from May 29, 2008, titled Liking Parnell Park. In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

Congratulations and belated thanks to the Whittier City Council for the renovation and upgrade of Parnell Park.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Brahmamama1

AOL

#1 May 30, 2008
How thrilled I was to read the DeSotos comments "Liking Parnell Park". Parnell Park used to be the site of Parnell Preparatory School For Girls. I attended and loved that school from the 4th grade thru 8th. I was eight years old when I started there and am now 64. Parnell was a beautiful school and many Hollywood stars sent their girls there.
I have driven by there and noticed that the building that I am supposing is the Senior Center is still standing. It was the last building built on the property in the early 1950's. It was called Hunter Hall. That's where we had study hall and I performed on the stage there many a times dancing ballet, doing plays and reciting poetry. I see the riding ring is still there as we used to have many horses. However, the beautiful swimming pool has been removed as well as the old Victorian house which was the "Main House" and Peppertree House which was the dorm for the younger students. It is sad to see the little building that were classrooms gone as well as the barn. Many good memories as I drive by Parnell!
Thank you City of Whittier for keeping the name and keeping it a nice place for all.
Trisha Bowler
Diamond Bar
jojo

Raleigh, NC

#2 May 30, 2008
That Alex Ferguson is a real nutcase. He is living in his own strange little world. I suspect he watches a lot of fox news and listens to Rush Limbo a lot. He needs to turn off the TV and the radio and get out and live his life.
Donna McCrary

Whittier, CA

#3 Jul 28, 2009
This is so interesting. I lived on the corner of Scott and Jenkins in the yellow house and looked at the school for years. I did not realize that celebrities sent their children there. I am 67 and went to Cal Hi. I remember the large white house when I was little. I remember when they started putting the park together but I don't remember when the school closed. Just seems it was always there. Thanks for the memories. Donna
Brahmamama1 wrote:
How thrilled I was to read the DeSotos comments "Liking Parnell Park". Parnell Park used to be the site of Parnell Preparatory School For Girls. I attended and loved that school from the 4th grade thru 8th. I was eight years old when I started there and am now 64. Parnell was a beautiful school and many Hollywood stars sent their girls there.
I have driven by there and noticed that the building that I am supposing is the Senior Center is still standing. It was the last building built on the property in the early 1950's. It was called Hunter Hall. That's where we had study hall and I performed on the stage there many a times dancing ballet, doing plays and reciting poetry. I see the riding ring is still there as we used to have many horses. However, the beautiful swimming pool has been removed as well as the old Victorian house which was the "Main House" and Peppertree House which was the dorm for the younger students. It is sad to see the little building that were classrooms gone as well as the barn. Many good memories as I drive by Parnell!
Thank you City of Whittier for keeping the name and keeping it a nice place for all.
Trisha Bowler
Diamond Bar
Karin

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#4 Oct 13, 2009
I too went to Parnell School for girls in 1952 or 1953. I think I was the youngest student in the school and I boarded. I remember all the horses and a Halloween (I think) party in the barn with bales of hay. I also remember the main house and the swimming pool. Parnell was where I felt my first earthquake. I am glad to know some parts of the school still remain.
Charlotte Rolland Rysanek

Chino Hills, CA

#6 Oct 28, 2009
Brahmamama1 wrote:
How thrilled I was to read the DeSotos comments "Liking Parnell Park". Parnell Park used to be the site of Parnell Preparatory School For Girls. I attended and loved that school from the 4th grade thru 8th. I was eight years old when I started there and am now 64. Parnell was a beautiful school and many Hollywood stars sent their girls there.
I have driven by there and noticed that the building that I am supposing is the Senior Center is still standing. It was the last building built on the property in the early 1950's. It was called Hunter Hall. That's where we had study hall and I performed on the stage there many a times dancing ballet, doing plays and reciting poetry. I see the riding ring is still there as we used to have many horses. However, the beautiful swimming pool has been removed as well as the old Victorian house which was the "Main House" and Peppertree House which was the dorm for the younger students. It is sad to see the little building that were classrooms gone as well as the barn. Many good memories as I drive by Parnell!
Thank you City of Whittier for keeping the name and keeping it a nice place for all.
Trisha Bowler
Diamond Bar
I attended Parnell School in 1959 and 1960. I was involved with the riding program and even brought my own horse with me. How special it was to reflect on Trisha's note. I lived in the dorms. My husband and I now live in Chino Hills and took a drive and discovered Parnell Park. I was so glad to see the arena where I had spent hours taking lessons from Roy Traylor. I'm still riding Arabians which is what Miss Yoder loved and raised. So many memories.
Charlotte Rysanek
Parnell Alumnist

Canoga Park, CA

#7 Jan 3, 2010
Charlotte Rolland Rysanek wrote:
<quoted text>
I attended Parnell School in 1959 and 1960. I was involved with the riding program and even brought my own horse with me. How special it was to reflect on Trisha's note. I lived in the dorms. My husband and I now live in Chino Hills and took a drive and discovered Parnell Park. I was so glad to see the arena where I had spent hours taking lessons from Roy Traylor. I'm still riding Arabians which is what Miss Yoder loved and raised. So many memories.
Charlotte Rysanek
Charlotte - I saw your post on Parnell - I went there in 1962-63. We are now on Facebook! You might want to check us out - they are trying to find more alumnists!
Happy New Year!
Kimberly Mack
Parnell

Canoga Park, CA

#8 Jan 3, 2010
Brahmamama1 wrote:
How thrilled I was to read the DeSotos comments "Liking Parnell Park". Parnell Park used to be the site of Parnell Preparatory School For Girls. I attended and loved that school from the 4th grade thru 8th. I was eight years old when I started there and am now 64. Parnell was a beautiful school and many Hollywood stars sent their girls there.
I have driven by there and noticed that the building that I am supposing is the Senior Center is still standing. It was the last building built on the property in the early 1950's. It was called Hunter Hall. That's where we had study hall and I performed on the stage there many a times dancing ballet, doing plays and reciting poetry. I see the riding ring is still there as we used to have many horses. However, the beautiful swimming pool has been removed as well as the old Victorian house which was the "Main House" and Peppertree House which was the dorm for the younger students. It is sad to see the little building that were classrooms gone as well as the barn. Many good memories as I drive by Parnell!
Thank you City of Whittier for keeping the name and keeping it a nice place for all.
Trisha Bowler
Diamond Bar
- Trisha - I am also a Parnell alumnistand saw your post! We are now on Facebook. I've enjoyed your memories! Please join the Facebook page! They are looking for more alumnists! Happy New Year - you can contact me at [email protected]
Brahmamama1

Huntington Beach, CA

#10 Feb 5, 2010
Parnell Alumnist wrote:
<quoted text>
Charlotte - I saw your post on Parnell - I went there in 1962-63. We are now on Facebook! You might want to check us out - they are trying to find more alumnists!
Happy New Year!
Kimberly Mack
Would someone please tell me the name of the Parnell Face Book page? I have tried everything and can't find it. Thank you! Trisha
Parnell Alumnist

Simi Valley, CA

#11 Feb 11, 2010
Charlotte Rolland Rysanek wrote:
<quoted text>
I attended Parnell School in 1959 and 1960. I was involved with the riding program and even brought my own horse with me. How special it was to reflect on Trisha's note. I lived in the dorms. My husband and I now live in Chino Hills and took a drive and discovered Parnell Park. I was so glad to see the arena where I had spent hours taking lessons from Roy Traylor. I'm still riding Arabians which is what Miss Yoder loved and raised. So many memories.
Charlotte Rysanek
Charlotte - I went to Parnell 62-63 for my 4th grade at Whittier. We are now on facebook and would love for you to join us. Look up Parnell Preparatory School for Girls and please join. We are trying to find more alumnists and would love to hear your stories. We are enjoying the memories.
Best to you,
Kimberly Mack
Parnell House

Whittier, CA

#12 May 27, 2010
Do you have any old photos of the white Parnell House. I am putting together a scrapbook for my daughters 50th b. day . We lived a/c the street and it was a found memory. my email is
[email protected]
Debi Key

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

#13 Jun 14, 2010
I, too, attended Parnell in 1969-70 and thought it would be fun to connect with others that I attended school with. Debbie Kaplan! Where are you?

I have very fond memories of my time there, and some bizarre ones, also. I am glad for the experience.
christine simmons beatty

Marysville, CA

#14 Jul 22, 2010
Parnell Alumnist wrote:
<quoted text>
Charlotte - I saw your post on Parnell - I went there in 1962-63. We are now on Facebook! You might want to check us out - they are trying to find more alumnists!
Happy New Year!
Ki
mberly Mack
I attended Parnell...with Miss Yoder between 1967 thru 1971. I graduated there in Chino...the school has been torn down now and there are all kinds of homes there...I remember Roy and Jocko who taught me the importance of horses and horsemanship! I still have horses and still ride!
Leslie Gates

Pasadena, CA

#15 Sep 2, 2010
I too, took my husband to see where Parnell used to be! Went there in 60-61.
I roomed upstairs with Nikki.
You girls don't know what kind of famous person Char (Charlotte) is! No one will ever forget her on her copper beauty Sinbad. They jumped sans saddle and bridle. Also her arms stretched out!! She was wonderful!
Love to find the facebook page and more stories.
Went to the ranch many times but never after the school moved. Like to see some photos.
Miss Yoder was still alive in 1971!
[email protected]
Kathleen

Claremont, CA

#16 Nov 24, 2010
I also am a Parnell alumnus. Graduated from eighth grade there(58-60). I remember Charlotte. Her mom took the entire(15) class to Hollywood Park and to a party at her house in Larchmont. And an overnight for my dorm room to Chrisines's house in Huntington Beach and meeting her wire haired dauschounds(sp?). And hearing my first dirty joke at the swings out by the pool. And sneaking out to the clothes line to find out what size bra Miss Yoder wore. And the rumors about Miss Baker's limp. And watching "77 Sunset Strip" on Friday nights, the only TV night. And the talent shows. I still remember the girl who lip synced Marty Robbins "El Paso". And slopping the pigs. And the night we were all distracted by something so we wouldn't find out that there was breeding going on in the barn. And going to the Kellogg Horse shows. And going out to the ranch for day trips. And the visits by the DAR. And Johnny Green concerts in Hunter Hall. For me, it was a relief to be there. Even though I was probably thought of of kinda weird. And parent's day. And Tay's mother car, a Chrysler Imperial, very exotic.
chris simmons beatty

Yuba City, CA

#19 Mar 28, 2011
Yes i left Miss Yoder in 1971 and still have many memories of the ranch/school in Chino Hills...I would like to connect with anyone who was there at those years 68-71....also what is the facebook alumni site????
Barbara Miller Todd

Huntington Beach, CA

#20 Apr 30, 2011
I attended Parnell from 1968-1963- Last graduating class. Moved to ranch after graduation to work or Miss "Yo". Was very close to her, she was truly a mentor to me. Am sorry to say I lost contact with her after 1968. Was she living when the school was closed ? I remember most of you that hacve commented on this page. What happened to Nikki Ridley, Carole Clayborne, Louise Marsshall ? so many great friends over the years. I had married and was also living in Chino - showing Arabs. my husband died in 1968 and I moved from the area and stopped showing horses. Best time of my life...Have ridden some jumping horses in the last few years. Pasture horses.. Black Beauy, Sunny , Tarbaby- Hector, Raunchy and Hoby Jo. Would love to hear from anyone.. What can anyone tell me about Miss Yoder, also what happened to Roy and Janie. I had heard Joko (Wardner) died in an accident at the Ranch.
Nikki Ridley

Manhattan Beach, CA

#21 May 7, 2011
Thanks to Barbara Miller Todd, I now am aware that
there are many alumni of Parnell Prep. I graduated class of 1963. Would love to see more
blogs or you can friend me on facebook.
Christy Eastburn

Corvallis, OR

#22 May 7, 2011
I went to Parnell my Freshiman year only (66-67). We have had a few get togethers over the last 10 years.
Please join us on Facebook. Always looking for more alumni.
Type in parnell preparatory school for girls

Christy Eastburn
Barbara Miller Todd

Huntington Beach, CA

#23 May 12, 2011
Charlotte Rolland Rysanek wrote:
<quoted text>
I attended Parnell School in 1959 and 1960. I was involved with the riding program and even brought my own horse with me. How special it was to reflect on Trisha's note. I lived in the dorms. My husband and I now live in Chino Hills and took a drive and discovered Parnell Park. I was so glad to see the arena where I had spent hours taking lessons from Roy Traylor. I'm still riding Arabians which is what Miss Yoder loved and raised. So many memories.
Charlotte Rysanek
Hi Char ... I remember you so well and that you ha lovely parents. Check facebook for Parnell .. so many people commenting ...
Sandy

Downey, CA

#24 Jun 5, 2011
Barbara Miller Todd wrote:
I attended Parnell from 1968-1963- Last graduating class. Moved to ranch after graduation to work or Miss "Yo". Was very close to her, she was truly a mentor to me. Am sorry to say I lost contact with her after 1968. Was she living when the school was closed ? I remember most of you that hacve commented on this page. What happened to Nikki Ridley, Carole Clayborne, Louise Marsshall ? so many great friends over the years. I had married and was also living in Chino - showing Arabs. my husband died in 1968 and I moved from the area and stopped showing horses. Best time of my life...Have ridden some jumping horses in the last few years. Pasture horses.. Black Beauy, Sunny , Tarbaby- Hector, Raunchy and Hoby Jo. Would love to hear from anyone.. What can anyone tell me about Miss Yoder, also what happened to Roy and Janie. I had heard Joko (Wardner) died in an accident at the Ranch.
Barbara I remember you like it was yesterday I went to Parnell both in Whittier and Pomona. I graduated in 1968 and at some time visited you at your home in Chino. The Last graduating class at Pomona was 1972 (not sure) and Miss Yoder leased the grounds out to a Collage She moved back to Orgean and passed away up there sometime after 1974 will have more info later. Yes Joco died at the Norco Ranch her Quater horse did a crow hop and freak accident the saddle horn hit her heart and she was dead by the time she hit the ground. Sad Day Roy passed away in 1990 just read about that on a different web site tonight. The Ranch in Norco is under new management and fully funtional. Oh my gosh a BIG flash from the past.E-mail me if you want [email protected] would love to talk about the old times the Facebook thing isn't working for me :(

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rowland Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 2 hr LM Mom 6,654
Tom Rothman: Kucktard 6 hr Squeegee Blackturd 1
News Honk: Are those 'Children at Play' signs legal? (Feb '11) 10 hr What about this 107
Pacheco runs out of Council Meeting he was Slam... 10 hr Deliverance 3
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 15 hr Trojan 32,307
Maclaren Hall childrens center or juvinile center (Dec '10) 15 hr Sheri16 169
News A girl waves a Mexican flag during rallies in L... (Mar '06) Jun '16 Go Blue Forever 4,510

Rowland Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rowland Heights Mortgages