Death penalty phase could put Rowland...

Death penalty phase could put Rowland Heights killer on short list of death row women

There are 33 comments on the Whittier Daily News story from Nov 14, 2010, titled Death penalty phase could put Rowland Heights killer on short list of death row women. In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

Man-ling Williams In a little more than a week, a jury will recommend a life or death sentence in the case of convicted murderer Manling Williams.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Jumping Jim

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#23 Nov 15, 2010
lil jon wrote:
was she a mail order bride?
So what is she was, many of them make better wives than Ms Snob USA.
King of SGV

Buena Park, CA

#24 Nov 16, 2010
The state needs to make sure these sentences are carried out within 5 years of conviction!

Jumping Jim

Location hidden

#25 Nov 16, 2010
King of SGV wrote:
The state needs to make sure these sentences are carried out within 5 years of conviction!
Tell that to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, they are the ones who will use any excuse possible to overturn or delay a death penalty.
Compak

San Diego, CA

#26 Nov 16, 2010
At least many "mail-order" brides know how to cook.
JusticeNOTserved ALL OVER

Lake Grove, NY

#28 Nov 16, 2010
NO! She should not be allowed to live the rest of her natural life out in jail and have the people pay for her. AND...there is no rehabilitating this one. The death penalty NOW -- Her time is OUT! Let the people do it if the state doesn't want to!!!
ole Bob

Whittier, CA

#29 Nov 16, 2010
With all due respect for Mrs Williams and the severity of her loss I would like to point out that stabbing someone ninety-two times is either brought on by mental illness or severe rage.

If Man Ling is mentally ill, prison is not the place a responsible compasionate society would send such a person. Hospitalization and treatment perhaps for the rest of her life would be my feeling.

If her actions were from sheer rage, I believe some criminal punishment is necessary. Multiple murders certainly places the death penalty into consideration, however, I would want to hear if she has any offering of facts in mitigation. Not that there should be any for the murder of your children.

I have seen more than one case of a white male abusing an Asian female in the most awful psycological and physical abuse you can imagine. If that were the situation in the instant case, I would not find the death penality consistent with good justice. If her husband had contributed to the rage that resulted in a battered wife lashing out with 92 stab wounds, I would find her liable with a 25 year sentence. That is of course if he was the only victim.

Since she killed her children, perhaps with the same rage brought by her husbands acts, I would suggest a punishment of 35 years to life, with parole considered only after 25 years.

Since: Jul 10

Whittier, CA

#30 Nov 17, 2010
Manling was convicted of 3 counts of first degree murder with special circumstances of multiple homicide and lying in wait, Ole Bob. The only possible sentences for such a conviction, by law, are death or life without the possibility of parole. If my son had been abusive or she had acted in self defense, that would have engendered a different verdict. The same if she had been legally insane. The guilt phase of the trial is over "with all due respect."
ugh

Los Angeles, CA

#31 Nov 17, 2010
I would hope she commits suicide at some point in the near future, regardless of her sentence. She could give everyone a little bit of closure to her heinous acts.

Jumping Jim

Location hidden

#32 Nov 17, 2010
ole Bob wrote:
With all due respect for Mrs Williams and the severity of her loss I would like to point out that stabbing someone ninety-two times is either brought on by mental illness or severe rage.
If Man Ling is mentally ill, prison is not the place a responsible compasionate society would send such a person. Hospitalization and treatment perhaps for the rest of her life would be my feeling.
If her actions were from sheer rage, I believe some criminal punishment is necessary. Multiple murders certainly places the death penalty into consideration, however, I would want to hear if she has any offering of facts in mitigation. Not that there should be any for the murder of your children.
I have seen more than one case of a white male abusing an Asian female in the most awful psycological and physical abuse you can imagine. If that were the situation in the instant case, I would not find the death penality consistent with good justice. If her husband had contributed to the rage that resulted in a battered wife lashing out with 92 stab wounds, I would find her liable with a 25 year sentence. That is of course if he was the only victim.
Since she killed her children, perhaps with the same rage brought by her husbands acts, I would suggest a punishment of 35 years to life, with parole considered only after 25 years.
Nothing like a dumb asse bleeding heart. For what she did, she should be executed.
imo

United States

#33 Nov 17, 2010
Jumping Jim wrote:
<quoted text>Nothing like a dumb asse bleeding heart. For what she did, she should be executed.
Agreed. Perhaps, we can can a 'twofer' and they can put Ole Bob down as well.
ole Bob

Norwalk, CA

#34 Nov 17, 2010
Jan Williams wrote:
Manling was convicted of 3 counts of first degree murder with special circumstances of multiple homicide and lying in wait, Ole Bob. The only possible sentences for such a conviction, by law, are death or life without the possibility of parole. If my son had been abusive or she had acted in self defense, that would have engendered a different verdict. The same if she had been legally insane. The guilt phase of the trial is over "with all due respect."
With all due respect, the trial is over, but the verdict can be overturned for a variety of reasons. This why justice is often served in the appeals process. I have never been comfortable with mandated sentences, it removes the Judge from the process and forces a "one size fits all" solution on cases that might have something to offer in mitigation. This would not be the first case that was overcharged because prosecuters wanted to add a notch in their belt to advance their careers. It is disgusting, but oh so true. While the murders certainly cannot be called self defense in the classical sense (my heart is broken by the terrible suffering of the children) there is an argument to be made that it is a delayed self defense to prevent further torment. That is not an excuse by any means, but could be a mittigating circumstance to be considered by the Court.

For those of you that are anxious to prosecute a death warrant, I invite your attention to the fact that Jerry Brown will be governor in a few weeks. He was the one that set the agenda that took Charles Manson off death row. He appointed the only Supreme Court justices to be recalled because of their activist decisions preventing death warrants from being carried out. He will find every way possible to be sure the condemned die in their cell. I think the death penalty is effectivly off the table. I am proud to say I have never voted for Jerry Brown.

Mrs. Williams, I hope you can now find some peace and enjoy happiness in the future.
ugh

Los Angeles, CA

#35 Nov 18, 2010
ole Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
With all due respect, the trial is over, but the verdict can be overturned for a variety of reasons. This why justice is often served in the appeals process. I have never been comfortable with mandated sentences, it removes the Judge from the process and forces a "one size fits all" solution on cases that might have something to offer in mitigation. This would not be the first case that was overcharged because prosecuters wanted to add a notch in their belt to advance their careers. It is disgusting, but oh so true. While the murders certainly cannot be called self defense in the classical sense (my heart is broken by the terrible suffering of the children) there is an argument to be made that it is a delayed self defense to prevent further torment. That is not an excuse by any means, but could be a mittigating circumstance to be considered by the Court.
For those of you that are anxious to prosecute a death warrant, I invite your attention to the fact that Jerry Brown will be governor in a few weeks. He was the one that set the agenda that took Charles Manson off death row. He appointed the only Supreme Court justices to be recalled because of their activist decisions preventing death warrants from being carried out. He will find every way possible to be sure the condemned die in their cell. I think the death penalty is effectivly off the table. I am proud to say I have never voted for Jerry Brown.
Mrs. Williams, I hope you can now find some peace and enjoy happiness in the future.
There is no way these prosecuters are being over zealous and for you to suggest that this case could be "overcharged" is a sad reflection of what this state has become.

Furthermore there is no validity to your statement of a "delayed self defense to prevent further torment" due to the fact that this psycho killed her babies along with her husband.
It's time for this P.C. stuff to stop in all areas of this society, it is out of hand and people need to start calling a spade, a spade.
Jan Williams

Valyermo, CA

#36 Nov 18, 2010
ole Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
With all due respect, the trial is over, but the verdict can be overturned for a variety of reasons. While the murders certainly cannot be called self defense in the classical sense (my heart is broken by the terrible suffering of the children) there is an argument to be made that it is a delayed self defense to prevent further torment.
Ole Bob, were you in court during the entire process? I was there all day, every day. Or did you read all of the articles about it? There was no spousal abuse even implied, because none occurred. Don't you think that would have been brought up as a mitigating circumstance if there was anything to find? So there was no "delayed self defense to prevent further torment". There was no evidence of any kind of legal insanity either. None. There was an affair - one that Manling had, not her husband. The guy broke up with her because he said he felt uncomfortable having an affair with a married woman.

Whatever sentence Manling gets, Ole Bob, it will mean a lifetime for both families of attending appeals and hearings. This will never be over for us. I don't need her death to find closure, because there is no such thing as closure. My boys will never come back from Rose Hills. But it would be very much appreciated if people would stop trying to make my murdered son the villain in this case. He wasn't.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rowland Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 2 hr lmsa 8,542
Review: Anaheim Ducks 6 hr ANAHEIM DUCKS 1
Helping the homeless people at La Palma Park (Sep '12) 12 hr LOL 176
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Fri Large Phartzz 33,109
News A girl waves a Mexican flag during rallies in L... (Mar '06) Apr '17 NKOTBLOCC 4,544
News Rowland Heights man working as tutor for Santa ... Apr '17 Georgia Levin 2
News Reputed gang leader from Rowland Heights among ... (Apr '10) Jan '17 SoCalNative 19

Rowland Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rowland Heights Mortgages