Benton cancelling VAPA classes

Posted in the Rowland Heights Forum

LM Resident

Palm Springs, CA

#1 Mar 15, 2013
I heard Benton will be adjusting their schedule next year and will not be able to offer all of the music, dance, and art classes that they are currently offering.
Old News

Simi Valley, CA

#2 Mar 15, 2013
Dulles was the priority for the LM resident and Benton will now have to go on a normal schedule like the other middle schools. More focus on one elective than to have minimum focus on 3 electives. The main goal should be for us to improve our test scores to pass Los Coyotes and Hutchison this year. The program has drawn in higher levels of students that would have gone to the other two schools, so that has been a plus but Benton is still testing lower. Hopefully we can keep drawing in these students and they don't start going to the programs offered at Hutchinson and Los Coyotes with these changes.
LM Resident

Palm Springs, CA

#3 Mar 15, 2013
Old News wrote:
Dulles was the priority for the LM resident and Benton will now have to go on a normal schedule like the other middle schools. More focus on one elective than to have minimum focus on 3 electives. The main goal should be for us to improve our test scores to pass Los Coyotes and Hutchison this year. The program has drawn in higher levels of students that would have gone to the other two schools, so that has been a plus but Benton is still testing lower. Hopefully we can keep drawing in these students and they don't start going to the programs offered at Hutchinson and Los Coyotes with these changes.
Both Los Coyotes and Hutchinson bring in a great deal of students from outside their school zones, just like Benton. They also offer excellent academic programs. But you are correct in stating that Benton should focus on improving test scores. But not for the purpose of passing other middle schools; rather for the purpose of doing what is best for kids....providing a strong academic program.
LM Resident Too

Whittier, CA

#4 Mar 15, 2013
Actually, Benton had the highest increase in test scores in the entire district last year. A jump of 46 points. It's academic programs are strengthening and this is evidence of the value the arts have with kids, artistically, and academically. All of the LM Middle Schools have excellent programs. I do not understand why Benton's program/schedule is being "adjusted" if it is successful. Very sad for Benton kids.
Wow

Downey, CA

#5 Mar 15, 2013
Well, it sounds like all the posts here are written by people from Benton Middle School who re either teachers or administrators. Information
accurate and well written. I just think that Hutch is the school that is responsible for the drastic change at Benton. Why oh Why do you mess up a good thing unless someone is whining.
Not Fair

Whittier, CA

#6 Mar 17, 2013
Old News wrote:
Yes Dulles is the reason for the demise of Benton. Perez has to let go of some teachers at Benton to pay for the teachers at Dulles who are currently and will continue to have class sizes of less than 28 to 1 which is the contract number. Why do Dulles teachers get a 20 to 1 (or less) student ratio when the rest of
the teachers in the district suffer? ASK THIS OF THE BOARD!!!!!
What

La Mirada, CA

#7 Mar 17, 2013
Wow wrote:
Well, it sounds like all the posts here are written by people from Benton Middle School who re either teachers or administrators. Information
accurate and well written. I just think that Hutch is the school that is responsible for the drastic change at Benton. Why oh Why do you mess up a good thing unless someone is whining.
The idea that one middle school could be responsible for the changes at Benton is ridiculous. The decision to adjust the ratio of teachers to student at Benton to be the same as other schools in the district is a decision made by the district and school board. If the district wanted to continue to fund additional teachers outside of the teacher to student ratio, they could. They chose not to.
Mom

Whittier, CA

#8 Mar 19, 2013
Exactly why is this happening? I guess I need to re-think where I shoud send my son. Ms. Green made great promises that I guess she cant keep. Suggestions about Hutchinson or Los Coyetes?
What

Norwalk, CA

#9 Mar 20, 2013
Mom wrote:
Exactly why is this happening? I guess I need to re-think where I shoud send my son. Ms. Green made great promises that I guess she cant keep. Suggestions about Hutchinson or Los Coyetes?
Both Los Coyotes and Hutchinson are great schools with test scores to prove it. Both have Honors programs and are Magnet schools. Take a tour of each one.
Yes to that

Whittier, CA

#10 Mar 21, 2013
Los Coyotes and Hutchinson are much better than Benton. Dream and then make the right choice to send your child to Los Coyotes or Hutchinson...hutchinson being the best choice.
Choices

Whittier, CA

#11 Mar 22, 2013
I highly recommend each family make a decision to send their child to the school which best suits their interests and needs. Before judging and making opinions and assumptions about any school (especially in a forum such as a public blog), understand that ALL schools are unique and different, tour each campus and make a decision which is best for your family. I hope everyone who is participating/will participate in this thread has had the opportunity to equally explore all schools before making any statements about a school's excellence and aptitude.
LM Parent

Tustin, CA

#12 Mar 22, 2013
Yes to that wrote:
Los Coyotes and Hutchinson are much better than Benton. Dream and then make the right choice to send your child to Los Coyotes or Hutchinson...hutchinson being the best choice.
Actually Los Coyotes is the best choice in La Mirada..Honors Magnet program, dedicated teachers and a great principal..
LMHS

Whittier, CA

#13 Mar 22, 2013
LM Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually Los Coyotes is the best choice in La Mirada..Honors Magnet program, dedicated teachers and a great principal..
WHY? Because your child goes to Los Coyotes or are you a teacher there?
What

La Mirada, CA

#14 Mar 23, 2013
LM Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure about Benton, but both Los Coyotes and Hutchinson offer Honors programs and Pre-AP classes as well. Great teachers on both campuses and administrators care about what's best for kids. Take a tour, as was previously suggested.
scores

Inglewood, CA

#15 Mar 24, 2013
What is the critiria for saying one is better then the other? who can show the scores of apple to apple testing.
question

Foothill Ranch, CA

#16 Mar 25, 2013
So all of you think children's test scores are the most important things?
Of Course Not

Whittier, CA

#17 Mar 25, 2013
Test scores are not the mot important thing...but what the principal is able to support is very important. Green just can't cut it. Not a role model now and never will be.
Of Course Not

Whittier, CA

#18 Apr 9, 2013
Green does NOT CARE about Kids; just her image and that is pretty poor

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rowland Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
East Side Dukes (Jan '10) 5 hr LOMAS 105
Man Fatally Stabbed In Fullerton (Nov '07) 6 hr Felipe Torpedo 71
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 9 hr Bruin For Life 28,515
Irwindale molester (Dec '12) 9 hr been there knew him 149
were his all the og sgv taggers at (Dec '07) 11 hr real big Dik 976
Santa Ana jury convicts two men of gang-related... (Jul '07) 16 hr AHM Homie 1,138
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 21 hr davis 5,303

Freeze Warning for Los Angeles County was issued at December 29 at 5:00AM PST

Rowland Heights News Video

Rowland Heights Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Rowland Heights People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Rowland Heights News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Rowland Heights

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]