Whittier parents at St. Bruno Catholi...

Whittier parents at St. Bruno Catholic School upset after not being told principal had a stalker

There are 817 comments on the Whittier Daily News story from Nov 27, 2012, titled Whittier parents at St. Bruno Catholic School upset after not being told principal had a stalker. In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

Ronald S. Martinez was arrested and convicted of stalking Catherine Carvalho, the principal at St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

John Concern

La Habra, CA

#327 Feb 18, 2013
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to be so "sure" of yourself. You must be an "insider". On the "payroll". Or a benifiter from the gratis tuition. Whichever one it is, I really don't care. But let me ask you a simple question. How do you feel about families being expelled? Enlighten me with your inside scoop. What did these families do to warrant their children's expulsion? And don't say they broke a rule in the parent handbook. If that's all you got, you and everything you have written on this blog is a joke! Your taking a stand. Confirm for me what your standing for? Do you disagree that parents do not have the right to speak out freely? Speak out freely to voice their concerns regarding their children? Do you agree with expelling families for no valid reason? Because if you do, honey you are in the wrong country.
It does sound like st Bruno parent is receiving assistance. Tuition is irrelevant when one takes advantage of the system.
John Concern

La Habra, CA

#328 Feb 18, 2013
Clueless Parents wrote:
Cannot believe the parents that are blind to the Principals lies. She has managed to be a follower herself and allow a clueless security advisor lead her in a path that will further destroy the school. No one has been recruited to sign a petition they didnt believe in. Everyone that signed up to remove the principal did it on their own terms. You continue to bash the parents that were removed, I hope you are not a parent that was involved in an activity that the parents were involved volunteering their time for "YOUR CHILDREN" I bet the parents had no issues then. What a sad group of people to now sit around and have a list of negative things to say about the families. They did it to protect your children and the interest of your children were always the first priority.
My children spent a lot of time around those families and i always felt my children developed and will grow to be productive adults because of what they were taught.
What a sad group of people you are. I am removing my children due to the lack of leadership and to distance my family from the people that support the bad people living in that front office. They don't care about you or your children.
It will be a ghost town at that school next year. I guarantee it!!!
BRAVO. These parents that support the principal are the same parents that stood up at the first meeting and said. The principal would take a bullet for the children. Well when she expelled the children recently she did not take a bullet she Fired the bullet. Her ego did not allow her lead these children through the education process. The principals only concern is her security staff. She looks like a celebrity walking around campus with her security team.
Great

Los Angeles, CA

#329 Feb 18, 2013
Clueless Parents wrote:
Cannot believe the parents that are blind to the Principals lies. She has managed to be a follower herself and allow a clueless security advisor lead her in a path that will further destroy the school. No one has been recruited to sign a petition they didnt believe in. Everyone that signed up to remove the principal did it on their own terms. You continue to bash the parents that were removed, I hope you are not a parent that was involved in an activity that the parents were involved volunteering their time for "YOUR CHILDREN" I bet the parents had no issues then. What a sad group of people to now sit around and have a list of negative things to say about the families. They did it to protect your children and the interest of your children were always the first priority.
My children spent a lot of time around those families and i always felt my children developed and will grow to be productive adults because of what they were taught.
What a sad group of people you are. I am removing my children due to the lack of leadership and to distance my family Fromm the people that support the bad people living in that front office. They don't care about you or your children.
It will be a ghost town at that school next year. I guarantee it!!!
Thank God there will be one less disgruntled trouble maker. Don't let the door hit when you leave, hope its soon!!!
Parishioner

Whittier, CA

#330 Feb 18, 2013
I have to wonder if the principal herself is not making some of these nasty comments. If it isn't her, is this the way "Great" and others think she would want to be supported? Is this how to represent the school and parish because you are obviously parishioners if not parents of students as well.

Inquiring minds would like to know.
Great

Los Angeles, CA

#331 Feb 18, 2013
Parishioner wrote:
How arrogant to presume to pray for me. I "got to know" Father Reardon for two years by continuing to attend mass. It was his manner that lost me. That and people like you. Did he do "his best" when he let so many people go upon becoming priest there? Did he do his best when he had a deacon who on the first day of catechism came off as not only not warm and welcoming, but rather saying "You're child is out of here if they touch anything in the desk they are sitting at? A "Christian community" seeks to make all their parishioners and students feel safe and welcomed. From everything I have read in these page upon page of bickering it is CLEAR Pastor Melba Toast has no leadership ability nor does he bring his parish together.
You got to know a priest saying mass not the man, he is a very nice person who is very spiritual. I guess you haven't been to mass lately the church is packed with people standing. There are 7 or 8 RCIA candidates this year who want to belong to our church. I guess you are wrong about bringing our parish together.
Parishioner

Whittier, CA

#332 Feb 18, 2013
What I got to see is when he came he got rid of a lot of people and got a deacon who was RUDE and unwelcoming to the children in their first communion class. The year I did my RCIA there were twelve in our class. 7 or 8 now? Hmmm. How do you get to know a man who walks around with a Melba Toast attitude? He's the antithesis of Father O'Dwyer and Father Jim. Now he is the one in charge of this fiasco and "Great" is on here telling people not to let the door hit them in them when they leave. Just pathetically ugly.
Parishioner

Whittier, CA

#333 Feb 18, 2013
Was it Father Reardon's "spirituality" which taught you to tell people not to let the door hit them on their way out?

Again, inquiring minds would like to know.
St Bruno Parent

Chatsworth, CA

#334 Feb 18, 2013
Mmm.....this hate you carry around and let spew from your mouth. Let it go. It's over. Move on.
Parishioner

Whittier, CA

#335 Feb 18, 2013
It would be a whole lot easier to move on and think about attending mass regularly at St. Bruno's if it weren't for this ugliness going on there. Parishioners telling their fellow parishioners to not let the door hit them on the way out isn't exactly very "Christian". Father Reardon has a problem and the buck stops with him. Bad vibes. VERY bad vibes and it's not going to all go away with the so called offenders leaving.
Agree

Kent, WA

#336 Feb 18, 2013
John Concern wrote:
<quoted text>
It does sound like st Bruno parent is receiving assistance. Tuition is irrelevant when one takes advantage of the system.
Agree! The ones who don't care that the tuition hasn't been set forth yet are the ones who don't pay any! It doesn't affect them, so why should they care. And it's the same people defending the principal. They have to "ensure" their spot on the free-ride train.
Joe Parent

Whittier, CA

#337 Feb 18, 2013
I have known for years that unlike other Catholic schools Saint Bruno does not provide any form of scholarship for teacher's children. Just this year I found out how certain "committee" positions are given scholarships for themselves or family members, and in the case of kids graduating to Catholic high schools checks from the parish follows them as long as their parents keep their "committee" positions.

I know this practice preceded Ms. Carvalho's tenure. I believe these back door deals are an indication of how Father Reardon buys and keeps some of his support and that he hires his principals with the understanding that they be complicit in these secret agreements.
John Concern

La Habra, CA

#338 Feb 18, 2013
Joe Parent wrote:
I have known for years that unlike other Catholic schools Saint Bruno does not provide any form of scholarship for teacher's children. Just this year I found out how certain "committee" positions are given scholarships for themselves or family members, and in the case of kids graduating to Catholic high schools checks from the parish follows them as long as their parents keep their "committee" positions.
I know this practice preceded Ms. Carvalho's tenure. I believe these back door deals are an indication of how Father Reardon buys and keeps some of his support and that he hires his principals with the understanding that they be complicit in these secret agreements.
Joe you absolutely correct. It started with ODwery but Reardon doubled the people that take advantage of this volunteer program which they get paid That is why you have the same people running these committee year in and your out. The committee members play the roles of martyrs but they highly compensated. Reardon should also be 1099 these committee too. There is so much misrepresentation here and it's finally come to light
St Bruno Parent

Chatsworth, CA

#339 Feb 18, 2013
What is your preoccupation with tuition assistance? You think $2.00 an hour constitutes "highly compensated". Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel. Your ignorance is very entertaining. It' s easier to take cheap pot shots at everyone else than it is to admit your own mistakes in all this.
Thank You For Saying This

Whittier, CA

#340 Feb 18, 2013
Parishioner wrote:
Technically I am a parishioner, having gone through my RCIA nine years ago with two of my daughters also baptized at the same time I was at St. Bruno's by Father O'Dwyer. Those were the days. When Father Reardon came in he made so many changes. He has the personality of melba toast to boot. Nothing remains at St. Bruno to attract me to attend mass there. Including this fiasco. Poor leadership from an ineffective priest. I never considered sending my children to St. Bruno's due to the years of problems there. Bicker bicker bicker. Father Reardon, you have a problem and it didn't start with this fiasco. If I decide to attend mass again, it will not be at your parish which is run by YOU who the buck stops with.
Bravo to you for writing this. The days of Fr. O'Dwyer is surly missed. Once my daughter was out of 8th grade, the only reason I have been back is for funerals. Attending Fr. O'Dwyer's funeral was so bitter sweet, I saw faces of friends that I have not seen for years, and it brought a smile to my face to hear Deacon Freeman speak of the times we all spent together. It is sad to see what has become, and I have to agree with you Fr. Reardon is the catalyst to this nightmare.
John Concern

La Habra, CA

#341 Feb 18, 2013
St Bruno Parent wrote:
What is your preoccupation with tuition assistance? You think $2.00 an hour constitutes "highly compensated". Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel. Your ignorance is very entertaining. It' s easier to take cheap pot shots at everyone else than it is to admit your own mistakes in all this.
Apparently you are unable to pay your own way and depend on others to pick up your slack. Thst is why you accept so little from the principal. Those who pay tuition and subsidize you demand leadership and accountability. So you are welcome from us that pay your way through st Bruno and life. Miss you are only expressing your feeling as most of us stating the facts. So please don't be upset with those that allow your children to attend Bruno. We pay our tuition and fees and demand better for our children and even yours
St Bruno Parent

Chatsworth, CA

#342 Feb 18, 2013
John Concern wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you are unable to pay your own way and depend on others to pick up your slack. Thst is why you accept so little from the principal. Those who pay tuition and subsidize you demand leadership and accountability. So you are welcome from us that pay your way through st Bruno and life. Miss you are only expressing your feeling as most of us stating the facts. So please don't be upset with those that allow your children to attend Bruno. We pay our tuition and fees and demand better for our children and even yours
Speak for yourself. My children are long gone. Never received tuition assistance. You have no idea what the facts are or who I am. keep pretending though. You are more interesting when you think you are on to something.
Great

Los Angeles, CA

#343 Feb 18, 2013
Parishioner wrote:
Was it Father Reardon's "spirituality" which taught you to tell people not to let the door hit them on their way out?
It had nothing to do with Fr. Readon, it my way of handling a disrespectful and delusional person. If it upset you I'm sorry but thats how I feel when someone talks that way about a priest.
St Bruno Parent

Chatsworth, CA

#344 Feb 18, 2013
Parishioner wrote:
It's hard to keep regurgitation without getting some on yourself
John Concern

La Habra, CA

#345 Feb 18, 2013
St Bruno Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Speak for yourself. My children are long gone. Never received tuition assistance. You have no idea what the facts are or who I am. keep pretending though. You are more interesting when you think you are on to something.
Please share any facts you have with this forum. Please make sure your info is factual. Not being a parent of the school it will be very interesting of your facts.
SB Parishioner

Downey, CA

#346 Feb 18, 2013
Great wrote:
<quoted text> It had nothing to do with Fr. Readon, it my way of handling a disrespectful and delusional person. If it upset you I'm sorry but thats how I feel when someone talks that way about a priest.
but who teaches you to be so cruel?? If you feel such compassion for the church and priests, it seems that you should be expressing forgiveness and prayer. You should rethink the way you handle what you "feel".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rowland Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LMP gang celebrates 31 years (Jun '08) 5 hr Lil sharky 1,806
Poll Who keeps trolling this forum? 5 hr Melon Drop 1
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 6 hr club coach 5,621
News Running Out of Steamers: After Sale, Fullerton ... 10 hr dianA 1
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 10 hr tom wingo 29,850
News Santa Ana jury convicts two men of gang-related... (Jul '07) 13 hr vic 1,159
tuttle, rios, lujan in the three stooges now pl... Tue Gland Slam 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rowland Heights Mortgages