Mayor backs workers in court

Mayor backs workers in court

There are 70 comments on the Whittier Daily News story from Jun 25, 2008, titled Mayor backs workers in court. In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

The Pico Rivera mayor showed up in court Wednesday to support two of his employees who are suspects in a case where a reserve deputy's .45-caliber revolver and vehicle were stolen.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
pico resident

Downey, CA

#1 Jun 25, 2008
what an awesome mayor we have. so many things in this city need attention and he is in court backing up his employees who stole a gun and a car."the net cast was too wide"? i am done supporting this guy by eating at his fast food place.you don't have to worry about backing my child up in court mr. mayor because i brought my child up right.what next? a community center for the aliens who hang out in front of home depot? to question the sherrifs department because your friends[and almost your son] got caught is typical of the way he does business in this city.keep up the good work pico rivera sherrifs, a lot of us citizens of pico do support you.
krissy

Reseda, CA

#2 Jun 26, 2008
they all look like thugs!! innocent my butt!!!!
what

Glendale, CA

#3 Jun 26, 2008
im glad they got caught for what they did and the mayor was backing his 2 workers up? something fishy about the whole thing.and that sheriff dep you know he lost his job,what a sad day for him.
mee

United States

#4 Jun 26, 2008
When all of you become PERFECT then leave a comment!!!!!!!!! Everyone makes mistakes!!
Vero

Norwalk, CA

#5 Jun 26, 2008
mee wrote:
When all of you become PERFECT then leave a comment!!!!!!!!! Everyone makes mistakes!!
I agree
Green

Whittier, CA

#6 Jun 26, 2008
As a Baseball team mom, a football team mom, a PTO parent, I understand what the Mayor is going through, children are what we do protect them, even when everyone is against them, we try to see the good in them, yes they were wrong to steal the truck, of course we all agree on that, but the gun is what really upsets me, they did not know there was a gun until they got in the car, now why? why? did the officer leave a LOADED gun in the car, that alone is very dangerous act. We all have children that have acted up, some in real trouble like these kids and some with things we will never know about until they decide to tell us in our old age and believe me, you will find out, no one, no one has perfect kids and if you think you do, your fooling yourself. Yes they look like thugs, we would too, if we were locked up. Always remember when you point one finger there are three pointing back at you.
Parent

Whittier, CA

#7 Jun 26, 2008
Our Mayor is only doing what he always does, helping others.
DESERT RAT

Scottsdale, AZ

#8 Jun 26, 2008
This is absolutely NUTS. Is it the water, bad air, bad corn in the tacos?

They steal a car and a gun and the mayor is a character witness for them.

This tops it all!
RLJ

Decatur, GA

#10 Jun 26, 2008
The Sheriffs in Pico Rivera are a joke. They constantly speed up and down Passons for no reason other than because they can. The crime in Pico Rivera is much, much worse than surronding cities and I lay that at the steps of the Sheriffs department. The idiot cop who left his gun loaded in the truck to argue with another driver should be fired. What a moron, leaving a loaded gun in a truck with the engine running on a major intersection, next to the movie theatres, filled with kids.
RLJ

Decatur, GA

#11 Jun 26, 2008
Hey Desert Rat...get out of the heat and re-read the article or have the nurse read it to you! The young people the Mayor was supporting DID NOT STEAL A DARN THING!

Geez...is it that hard to read a newspaper article??? Costello stole the car and the Mayor has nothing to say about him or even knows him. The suspect showed up at one of these kids home and the Mayor's son called 9-1-1!

Amazing how people like Desert Rat makes up lies without reading the simply written article!
Jazmine

Whittier, CA

#12 Jun 26, 2008
Whoever green is, YOUR NOT AN IDIOT, we should have more caring people like you in Whittier.
Alex

Houston, TX

#13 Jun 26, 2008
O.K as parents's we do the best we can with our kids.
Parents always stand up for their children, some parents may even lie to protect them(big mistake) but many do.
The real question: why would the mayor of a city that is going after thieves,gangs,taggers,appear in a court of law to defend such people. It should not matter if they work for him(get a better H.R person to screen employees) It should not matter that they are his sons buddies(help him make better choices)
The bigger problem- Does the mayor only go after the people he does not like?(Carlos Garcia) Does he only go after people that dont have his point of views( Greg Salcido)
This mayor appears to have bigger problems then those that were caught. This mayor could not buy the Pico Rivera police dept, and WE applaud them to the fullest for not allow this mayor to strong,arm them in looking the other way. Will this mayor now start appearing at different court hearings to support the same individuals he claims to be removing from the city of Pico Rivera? It appears that this mayor forgot the total number of residents that live in this city for a few bad apples that tipped his apple cart over. Remember, did he not take an oath to protect and represent the city of Pico Rivera. Again thank you Pico Rivera P.D dont stop standing up for those that depend on their city police to protect and honor them, not the other way around.
krissy

Reseda, CA

#14 Jun 26, 2008
Green wrote:
As a Baseball team mom, a football team mom, a PTO parent, I understand what the Mayor is going through, children are what we do protect them, even when everyone is against them, we try to see the good in them, yes they were wrong to steal the truck, of course we all agree on that, but the gun is what really upsets me, they did not know there was a gun until they got in the car, now why? why? did the officer leave a LOADED gun in the car, that alone is very dangerous act. We all have children that have acted up, some in real trouble like these kids and some with things we will never know about until they decide to tell us in our old age and believe me, you will find out, no one, no one has perfect kids and if you think you do, your fooling yourself. Yes they look like thugs, we would too, if we were locked up. Always remember when you point one finger there are three pointing back at you.
people like you are the reason why are justice system is so sqrewed up! Try to see the good in people! whatever!!!
krissy

Reseda, CA

#15 Jun 26, 2008
mee wrote:
When all of you become PERFECT then leave a comment!!!!!!!!! Everyone makes mistakes!!
so you think you're perfect or something?
RLJ

Decatur, GA

#16 Jun 26, 2008
Alex,,,,before you write, know your facts. The City of Pico Rivera does NOT have a Police department. They use the Sheriffs Department which is a LA County based department.

Whititer and Downey have their own Police Departments and their crime is much lower than Pico Rivera.

Carlos Garcia was found guilty due to his illegal actions as a Councilman and thats why the Mayor ran him off, he was a crook. It was not a matter of not liking him, Garcia was breaking the law and a court of law agreed.
LCR

United States

#18 Jun 26, 2008
The Mayor needs to wise up and be more vigilant as to who are his son's associates/friends. His son hangs around w/people that steal cars and purchase stolen property? The fact that the Mayor's son called 911 reveals that there is something good in this kid, and the Mayor should act upon it quickly. The Mayor and son should learn from this experience; otherwise, there may be a next time were a more serious crime is committed by this kid's friends and the kid being taken along for the ride ... straight to prison.
DESERT RAT

Scottsdale, AZ

#19 Jun 26, 2008
Well put!
LCR wrote:
The Mayor needs to wise up and be more vigilant as to who are his son's associates/friends. His son hangs around w/people that steal cars and purchase stolen property? The fact that the Mayor's son called 911 reveals that there is something good in this kid, and the Mayor should act upon it quickly. The Mayor and son should learn from this experience; otherwise, there may be a next time were a more serious crime is committed by this kid's friends and the kid being taken along for the ride ... straight to prison.
Mortimer

United States

#20 Jun 26, 2008
RLJ wrote:
Alex,,,,before you write, know your facts. The City of Pico Rivera does NOT have a Police department. They use the Sheriffs Department which is a LA County based department.
Whititer and Downey have their own Police Departments and their crime is much lower than Pico Rivera.
Whittier and Downey do have their own police departments, but their crime rates are not lower. In fact, Pico Rivera has posted significantly lower crime rates than any of it's neighbors over the last 2 years. Pico Sheriff's are doing a great job and should be applauded for their hard work!

The Mayor is acting like any Dad would...protecting his son. This would not be news if he wasn't the mayor.....
Marcia

La Habra, CA

#21 Jun 26, 2008
As the former teacher of at least one of these suspets, I can say that they are probably "into" something illegal and overdue for consequences. One of these kids tagged a restroom at the LA Zoo while on a school field trip. Real winners! Try writing about some of the great kids in Pico Rivera who don't get arrested.

Since: May 08

Covina

#22 Jun 26, 2008
Marcia wrote:
As the former teacher of at least one of these suspets, I can say that they are probably "into" something illegal and overdue for consequences. One of these kids tagged a restroom at the LA Zoo while on a school field trip. Real winners! Try writing about some of the great kids in Pico Rivera who don't get arrested.
Good thing they weren't mistaken for some escaped chimps or they'd still be there in cages! Hey, now that's an idea....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rowland Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr Trojan 34,837
the oldest and largest gang in whittier- wvls (Dec '07) 2 hr Spike 67
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 8 hr Davis 10,084
News 3 Stabbed in KKK Rally in Anaheim (Feb '16) 17 hr Machete 13
I heard a loud explosion near Hacienda Heights (Mar '12) Mon The ELOHIM 11
News A girl waves a Mexican flag during rallies in L... (Mar '06) Nov 4 Raydot 4,555
News Shooting no shock at school (Apr '06) Jul '17 AnonymousOldFriend 137

Rowland Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rowland Heights Mortgages