Excellent local teachers honored

Excellent local teachers honored

There are 14 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Sep 29, 2008, titled Excellent local teachers honored. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

Three area educators were among 16 chosen Monday as the 2008-09 Los Angeles County Teachers of the Year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

Robert J G Jackson Sr

United States

#1 Sep 30, 2008
Congratulations to these teachers for being recognized for excellence. I hope that these are the teachers who instill a desire to learn in their students, who encourage the students to understand the importance of education to their whole future lives. I hope these are the teachers who set high expectations and demand performance, letting their students know that they are perfectly capable of achieving great success. Again, congratulations. Readers please note that no teachers from LBUSD are included.
lucybird

Portland, OR

#2 Sep 30, 2008
none of them were from long beach
sapo verde

Douglas, GA

#4 Oct 1, 2008
Robert J G Jackson Sr wrote:
Congratulations to these teachers for being recognized for excellence. I hope that these are the teachers who instill a desire to learn in their students, who encourage the students to understand the importance of education to their whole future lives. I hope these are the teachers who set high expectations and demand performance, letting their students know that they are perfectly capable of achieving great success. Again, congratulations. Readers please note that no teachers from LBUSD are included.
What a snide note that you ended with. There have been many fine teachers from Long Beach recognized in the past. The fact that there were none this year does not reflect badly on Long Beach teachers. Once again, you have not set foot in a school for years if not decades and are reporting based on your ignorance of wht takes place in schools on a daily basis.
Drama Mamma

Long Beach, CA

#5 Oct 1, 2008
Make an appointment, check-in through the front office of John Glenn High School and watch Patrick McCloy at "work."

Better yet, catch his students in one of the school plays.

He is a real "Miricle Worker" and has transformed lives of "hard to reach students."

Fun, Challenging, Insightful, Passionate, Demanding, Creative. You will wish you could be a kid again.

HOPE HE WINS STATE!!!
bwa ha ha ha

United States

#6 Oct 1, 2008
sapo verde wrote:
<quoted text>What a snide note that you ended with. There have been many fine teachers from Long Beach recognized in the past. The fact that there were none this year does not reflect badly on Long Beach teachers. Once again, you have not set foot in a school for years if not decades and are reporting based on your ignorance of wht takes place in schools on a daily basis.
Look who's talking! A guy in his mid-fifties, living alone in Kentucky, goalless, spending his days typing nonsense to some small town comments section!
Crawl back in your pig vomit, Loren. Nobody wants to see your ugly old face here.
sapo verde

Perry, GA

#7 Oct 1, 2008
bwa ha ha ha wrote:
<quoted text>
Look who's talking! A guy in his mid-fifties, living alone in Kentucky, goalless, spending his days typing nonsense to some small town comments section!
Crawl back in your pig vomit, Loren. Nobody wants to see your ugly old face here.
Bless your heart! Well, I guess I don't need to say anything about you. Your response tells more than I could ever say.
spacechimp555

Long Beach, CA

#8 Oct 1, 2008
"Tincher Preparatory School teacher Annemarie Lander added another award to her growing list of honors when she was recently named the Daughters of the American Revolution Outstanding Teacher of American History for the State of California. The eighth grade history teacher was one of 16 teachers in Los Angeles County to earn the Teacher of the Year Award."

LBUSD

"Wilson Classical High School 20-year veteran teacher Ruth Mohr has earned the Outstanding High School Physical Educator of the Year Award from the California Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance. Only two such awards were given statewide - one each for Northern and Southern California."

LBUSD

"Amanda Flores, first grade teacher at Henry Elementary School, won the California Association for Bilingual Education 2007 Two-Way Immersion Teacher of the Year Award."

LBUSD

"Signal Hill and Tucker elementary schools won the National Center for Urban School Transformation's Excellence in Urban Education Award. Only 11 schools nationwide earned the honor this year. LBUSD was the only district in the nation with two winners."

LBUSD

"Long Beach Unified School Districtís counselors earned the most awards of any school district statewide in the annual SPARC Academy Awards competition. The awards are presented each year to California schools that best define and implement the state school counseling reform curriculum. Earning Best in the West honors were Avalon, Cabrillo, CAMS, Hughes, Jordan, Lakewood, Renaissance, Wilson and Millikan. Winning the SPARC Academy Award were Robinson, Newcomb, Poly and EPHS, while Reid and Stephens earned commendations."

LBUSD

"The number of Long Beach Unified School District students earning admission to California State University, Long Beach has increased 46 percent over the past five years, according to recently compiled data. The significant rise in admissions to the university is attributed in part to the school districtís increased emphasis on college readiness in recent years."

LBUSD

"Significant gains in student achievement by students in the Long Beach Unified School District are highlighted in a national report, Beating the Odds, released by the Washington, D.C.-based Council of the Great City Schools. Long Beach is listed among the nationís big-city school districts that continue to improve in reading and mathematics on state-mandated tests, with evidence of demographic achievement gaps narrowing, and lower performing students making gains.

LBUSD

Must I continue? I can easily fill my 4000 character limit.
spacechimp555

Long Beach, CA

#9 Oct 2, 2008
Hey SV, thanks again for the boost for LBUSD!

goto www.lbschools.net to see just a small sampling of our honored teachers.
sapo verde wrote:
<quoted text>What a snide note that you ended with. There have been many fine teachers from Long Beach recognized in the past. The fact that there were none this year does not reflect badly on Long Beach teachers. Once again, you have not set foot in a school for years if not decades and are reporting based on your ignorance of wht takes place in schools on a daily basis.

Since: Mar 08

Bellflower, CA

#10 Oct 15, 2008
Are we missing the point. We have teachers to be proud of, so lets be proud of them. Everyone can't win that's why we pick only a few and honor them in a special way. It's amazing how one last thought (which was negative) can turn into numerous negative comments. So on that thought ...Congradulations to those dedicated teachers on a job well done.
JGHS

Seal Beach, CA

#11 Oct 16, 2008
FalconPower -

Are we reading the same thread?

RE: "Are we missing the point?"

EVERYTHING in this post is postive - there are no "sour lemons"

A couple "factual observations" but nothing negative.

PLEASE - make an appointment to visity the Drama Program at JGHS - it will make your spirit sour. like a falcon with a flagon in the sky.
spacechimp555

Pacific Palisades, CA

#12 Oct 18, 2008
...a flagon with a dragon?
LMN

Buena Park, CA

#13 Oct 18, 2008
EVERYTHING in this post is positive, blah, blah, blah. Get off topix and go down your sugar-coated, everything's wonderful path, and leave us realists alone.
JGHS wrote:
FalconPower -
Are we reading the same thread?
RE: "Are we missing the point?"
EVERYTHING in this post is postive - there are no "sour lemons"
A couple "factual observations" but nothing negative.
PLEASE - make an appointment to visity the Drama Program at JGHS - it will make your spirit sour. like a falcon with a flagon in the sky.
Andrea M Travis

La Mirada, CA

#14 May 12, 2013
LMN wrote:
EVERYTHING in this post is positive, blah, blah, blah. Get off topix and go down your sugar-coated, everything's wonderful path, and leave us realists alone.
<quoted text>
I will leave you alone if you vote for me.
SamanthaK

Houston, TX

#15 Sep 9, 2013
Ms. Jure has all our votes. And my goodness, Michele Green for principal.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rowland Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr LMFAOphartss 34,214
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 13 hr LMSA Historian 9,731
News The leg end of Turnbull Canyon (Feb '08) 21 hr la china 197
Proof ,Mexicans most pathetic to roam the earth Thu Not a stupid slop... 1
history of gangs in west covina (Dec '07) Thu West Covina boys 2,820
were his all the og sgv taggers at (Dec '07) Thu Duke 1,049
News 18 La Puente gang members arrested (Jan '08) Thu Duke 1,830

Rowland Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rowland Heights Mortgages