Caltrans crew cleans up homeless camp...

Caltrans crew cleans up homeless camp under the 10 Freeway

There are 21 comments on the San Gabriel Valley Tribune story from May 29, 2009, titled Caltrans crew cleans up homeless camp under the 10 Freeway. In it, San Gabriel Valley Tribune reports that:

When Albert Miramontes first walked into "the cave," he said the homeless camp was littered with so much trash and debris he couldn't even see the dirt floor.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Gabriel Valley Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
elmontecitizen

Donie, TX

#1 May 29, 2009
It is a very sad situation for these homeless people, they have been displaced and are now hanging around on river trail, cold and lonely, I saw about 10 early this morning. Did the County attempt to relocate them or did the government fail them once morer?
JackSchitt

Whittier, CA

#2 May 29, 2009
elmontecitizen wrote:
It is a very sad situation for these homeless people, they have been displaced and are now hanging around on river trail, cold and lonely, I saw about 10 early this morning. Did the County attempt to relocate them or did the government fail them once morer?
These people made their choices in life, so why is it the government's responsibility to relocate them? There are plenty of churches or shelters available to help the homeless/displaced, IF they really want help.
CTer

Riverside, CA

#3 May 29, 2009
On Thursday, several county agencies, non-profits, and religious groups were set up at a nearby to triage anyone who needed help - anybody.
Californias Fault

United States

#4 May 29, 2009
And Mr. Albert Miramontes wasn't surprised and has known about this for HOW LONG? just another example of a State Employees sucking us dry just to collect his paycheck and his big fat pension.
Fire this lazy ass now if he has know about it for eight years!
gun toting gramma

Covina, CA

#5 May 30, 2009
elmontecitizen wrote:
El monte citizen...you sound young so we will go easy on you...Have you ever asked why the homeless can't find family to help them out? Usually it's because family is sick and tired of trying to help and getting no where. If family had to give up, you would only waste time and money trying as well.
Want Them in your front

Downey, CA

#6 May 30, 2009
Hey if they don't squat here W T F do you want them to go. Better here than in our front yards. Or get the cops to see how many felons are here and send them off to the greybar hotel
ORLY

Upland, CA

#7 May 30, 2009
Californias Fault wrote:
And Mr. Albert Miramontes wasn't surprised and has known about this for HOW LONG? just another example of a State Employees sucking us dry just to collect his paycheck and his big fat pension.
What exactly was he supposed to do, solve the world's problems?

Seriously, your post is fkng ignorant. We have a lot of issues throughout so Cal., this is minor compared to what's really going on.

they found skinned cat, which appeared to be eaten. I blame California for that.....get your head out of your arse man.
Blame orly

United States

#8 May 30, 2009
ORLY wrote:
<quoted text>
What exactly was he supposed to do, solve the world's problems?
Seriously, your post is fkng ignorant. We have a lot of issues throughout so Cal., this is minor compared to what's really going on.
they found skinned cat, which appeared to be eaten. I blame California for that.....get your head out of your arse man.
Orly blames California, no wonder you guys in California have problems some of you need to look at yourselves in the mirror and quit blaming big goverment for everything.
ITS THERE LIFE

Sunnyvale, CA

#10 May 30, 2009
kinda said but most of those people like that life style, because no bills no stress just get high and eat usually that order .....
Julian

Whittier, CA

#11 May 30, 2009
They are very resourceful," he said. "They'll find a way."

They should be very resourceful in finding a way to make some money...legally.
bug

Pomona, CA

#12 May 30, 2009
Why doesn't Obama the Messiah create a REAL stimulus package aimed at providing work for the homeless instead of letting all the work go to illegals? I'll tell you why these homeless don't want to ask family for help: pride. Simple as that. PRIDE. If there was a "Work For the Homeless" program, there would be millions of willing participants waiting to get a chance at EARNING their living rather than panhandling or even asking family for handouts. Start the program by providing medical screening and providing medical attention for them. Then they are provided work: construction, digging trenches, working in vegetable fields. It may not be glamorous, but hey, there's nobility in hard work. Granted the homeless would be provided this opportunity only if they are CITIZENS.
IMHO

Fontana, CA

#14 May 30, 2009
I think some of these people want to live this way. If you read some of the other articles about this, they don't want to be part of mainstream society. So maybe there's really not any blame to be thrown around, just that in the hygenic, etc., standards in our society today, this primitive kind of living isn't acceptable. Yes, a triage was set up, which shows that we still want to help each other out, that no one is abandoning or purposely failing these people or hiding their situation. But if the place gets cleaned out and sealed up and they repeatedly return, I think caltrans is really doing them a favor by providing a little periodic housekeeping that is clearly lacking.
just wandering

Long Beach, CA

#15 May 30, 2009
Responding to the person who blames Calif. PLEASE, don't blame Cali or family. The reason why these people are homeless is because they would have to follow rules of each household, do chores come home at a decent time take a bath ,no drugs. that's probably the reason why there is so many homeless...
also a while back the homeless were not to sleep or be seen in major streets .Now they are every where. come on check this people maybe most of them will be in jail. come on p.d get to work....
ONCE WAS HOMLESS

United States

#16 May 30, 2009
I dont understand why they tell the homeless that they dont want them where everbody can see them and then when the homeless people find a place to live that is safe and where they can not been seen they come and kick them out.I lived there under the same 10 freeway with my husband and i never seen anybody eat any anilmals,anybody who had a pet loved them and took care of them.And there where never any kids there i mean never!The homeless people would not want that because they know it is not right.By the way Richard Dafoe is my uncle and he is a good man and he took good care of me will i was there.Just leave them alone and let them live there they are not hurting anybody.
rollin 60 crips

North Richland Hills, TX

#17 May 30, 2009
man i had a friend who lived there .. god bless him..
ORLY

Upland, CA

#19 May 30, 2009
Blame orly wrote:
<quoted text>
Orly blames California, no wonder you guys in California have problems some of you need to look at yourselves in the mirror and quit blaming big goverment for everything.
Wow, talk about lack of comprehension,

Seriously, this is scary.

Read my post.
ORLY

Upland, CA

#20 May 30, 2009
bug wrote:
Why doesn't Obama the Messiah create a REAL stimulus package aimed at providing work for the homeless instead of letting all the work go to illegals? I'll tell you why these homeless don't want to ask family for help: pride. Simple as that. PRIDE. If there was a "Work For the Homeless" program, there would be millions of willing participants waiting to get a chance at EARNING their living rather than panhandling or even asking family for handouts. Start the program by providing medical screening and providing medical attention for them. Then they are provided work: construction, digging trenches, working in vegetable fields. It may not be glamorous, but hey, there's nobility in hard work. Granted the homeless would be provided this opportunity only if they are CITIZENS.
\

Ok I just read the first few lines. Seriously dude, you seem to be lost.

Not that this issue should be left astray but come on, include the prez?

What does Obama have to do with this? Blame the bush admin for the toubles we entail, today.

Educate yourself.
GHG

United States

#21 Jun 2, 2009
WOW!
Vincent Miramontes

Los Angeles, CA

#23 Dec 12, 2009
kool! Albert is my dad, hes in the news alot for caltrans. i think he did a great job, i feel bad 4 the homeless, but he's just doing his job. LOVE YA DAD!
AlbertMiramontes

Los Angeles, CA

#24 Dec 12, 2009
Californias Fault wrote:
In the past eight years, I have cleaned up this encampment 3 times. Caltrans has even gone as far as sealing it up, but somehow, they find their way back in. Most of the pariphinalia found in "the cave" was syringes and crackpipes. Law enforcement has also been there many times and made several arrests. I feel for these people, and try to help them whenever possible. But first, they must help themselves. State employees are honest, hard working people.- Albert Miramontes

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rowland Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 9 min SCDSL 8,554
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 14 hr The pharts 33,111
News 18 La Puente gang members arrested (Jan '08) 17 hr TSM 1,821
Review: Anaheim Ducks Sat ANAHEIM DUCKS 1
Helping the homeless people at La Palma Park (Sep '12) Sat LOL 176
News A girl waves a Mexican flag during rallies in L... (Mar '06) Apr '17 NKOTBLOCC 4,544
News Rowland Heights man working as tutor for Santa ... Apr '17 Georgia Levin 2

Rowland Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rowland Heights Mortgages