Coalition formed to back Washington B...

Coalition formed to back Washington Boulevard for Gold Line light rail route extension

There are 18 comments on the Whittier Daily News story from Dec 4, 2013, titled Coalition formed to back Washington Boulevard for Gold Line light rail route extension. In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

WHITTIER >> The chairwoman of the Metropolitan Transit Authority has issued a statement backing the Washington Boulevard Route for the planned extension of the East Site Gold Line light rail transit.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

Trash Talk

Irvine, CA

#1 Dec 5, 2013
I posted this in the General Plan Thread
Washington Blvd route is the only one that will provide economic development for Montebello.
_rio

South Gate, CA

#2 Dec 5, 2013
I don't like that idea at all . Especially with all those car accidents on Washington bl. It would be very unsafe,and for the residents in pico that live on Washington blvd it would be very noisy to hear the metro line passing as it is with those semi trucks that are over loaded with stuff :/
Somebody Has to Say It

San Gabriel, CA

#3 Dec 6, 2013
This would be an almost impossible situation for Montebello.

The train would travel Garfield Ave south from the 60 Freeway to Washington Blvd then go east into Pico Rivera.

Garfield has is a nightmare already in rush hours and has absolutely no extra room for a train down the middle. Garfield is lined with apartments with a solid line of tenants parked on either side of the street. When a car in the outside lane stops to parallel park, traffic grinds to a halt and you can't eliminate the tenant parking because there is absolutely nowhere else for them to go.

Washington Blvd is 6 lanes of nearly constant big-rig truck traffic for all of industrial south Montebello plus commercial traffic in and out of City of Commerce. Again, a train running down the center of the street would drag the traffic down to 4 lanes, and trucking and industry would slow to a crawl.

It's a great plan for Whittier, perhaps, but a disaster for Montebello.
The alternate proposed route paralleling the 60 Freeway makes infinitely more sense.
ytw

Alhambra, CA

#4 Dec 6, 2013
I used to live on Garfield Ave. and I agree it would be a traffic nightmare to put a train line down such a busy thoroughfare.

In addition, it would have a serious, adverse effect on our city's emergency evacuation routes.

"Roads are considered critical infrastructure as they provide a means of evacuation during a
disaster. In Montebello, Garfield Avenue, Montebello Boulevard, Greenwood Avenue,
Beverly Boulevard, Whittier Boulevard and Washington Boulevard are the primary roads
providing this service."

Draft/City of Montebello, California Community-Based Mitigation Plan
http://hazardmitigation.calema.ca.gov/docs/lh...
p. 21
Copr

South Gate, CA

#5 Dec 6, 2013
Please don't let them mess around with our city!! Pico Rivera . That is a very bad idea . Washington is a very busy street and there is no room for a noisy train. People can drive the bus or there car. They have been doing this for yrs. go waste the money on something important :(
World Traveller

Anaheim, CA

#6 Dec 6, 2013
The whole idea of mass transit is to get cars off the road. If there would be a train, presumably there would be fewer commuter cars in the area, and less traffic.

A wide road would like Washington Blvd. would be better logistically than a narrow one like Whittier or Via Campo.

As to Garfield, when parking gets to be a premium, it's time to build parking structures as downtown Whittier has done.

Many were not happy with the train going down Washington Blvd. in downtown LA because of its use as a parallel road to the 10 fwy, but the train goes through and the road is blocked for about a minute, and then its over.

Finally, the route of the train has to benefit the largest number of people travelling the longest distance. If there are inconveniences for the cities the train goes through, that must be taken into account and mitigated by the MTA, and they have been very good about doing that in the past.
Wonder Why

San Marcos, CA

#7 Dec 7, 2013
Somebody Has to Say It wrote:
This would be an almost impossible situation for Montebello.
The train would travel Garfield Ave south from the 60 Freeway to Washington Blvd then go east into Pico Rivera.
Garfield has is a nightmare already in rush hours and has absolutely no extra room for a train down the middle. Garfield is lined with apartments with a solid line of tenants parked on either side of the street. When a car in the outside lane stops to parallel park, traffic grinds to a halt and you can't eliminate the tenant parking because there is absolutely nowhere else for them to go.
Washington Blvd is 6 lanes of nearly constant big-rig truck traffic for all of industrial south Montebello plus commercial traffic in and out of City of Commerce. Again, a train running down the center of the street would drag the traffic down to 4 lanes, and trucking and industry would slow to a crawl.
It's a great plan for Whittier, perhaps, but a disaster for Montebello.
The alternate proposed route paralleling the 60 Freeway makes infinitely more sense.
Another issue regarding the Washington Blvd. route is the sad, crumbling state of the bank area on the western side of the Whittier Narrows. By the Bluff Road area the bank has eroded several feet. Water seeps out of the side of the bank during the rainy season.
An advantage of the Washington Blvd. route is that the light rail line could ultimately be extended into La Habra and even further. The 60 Route would have to end at Peck Road. A creek area on the side of the freeway further east is being considered for a truck fast track lane, leaving no room for the light rail line. The goal of the proposed truck fast track lane is to speed goods from the Long Beach and L.A. Ports as they make their way to the Inland Empire and further east. Ports officials are very concerned about the widening of the Panama Canal. They fear that ocean transport from Asia could utilize the widened canal to directly transport goods to the Eastern U.S., potentially getting goods to eastern markets quicker. As a result they're exploring ways to speed truck and rail transport from the West Coast.
Truth Squad

Irvine, CA

#8 Dec 7, 2013
There will be an EIR for the Gold Line extension
Start working on your comments
I still think the North-
south leg could be down the Power Company ROW instead of Garfield
The two rows of towers could be double stacked...
Washington and Whittier with mixed use makes sense to me
Shuttle bus along Montebllo blvd for shoppers/ commuters- Maybe Wlcox also
Mom

South Gate, CA

#9 Dec 8, 2013
Don't like the idea of a train passing in front of my house!!!!
Trash Talk

Irvine, CA

#10 Dec 9, 2013
Mom, do you live on Washington Blvd?
Watch for the EIR scoping
I'll post a link here when I see one
Mom

South Gate, CA

#11 Dec 11, 2013
Trash Talk wrote:
Mom, do you live on Washington Blvd?
Watch for the EIR scoping
I'll post a link here when I see one
Yes I do !:(
Trash Talk

Irvine, CA

#12 Dec 12, 2013
Your Pico Rivera city council is in favor of the Washington blvd route
This is not a "trolley" or "streetcar" go bug them till the EIR comes out
Dec

South Gate, CA

#13 Dec 12, 2013
Bad idea!!!!
Trash talk

Monterey Park, CA

#14 Dec 13, 2013
What's a bad idea Dec?
A resident bugging their city council or the High Speed Rail again down a City Street?
Why not put the High speed rail down the old "packing House express" Right of way?
There are already bridges over the San Gabriel river and 605 freeways
MOM POWER
Knight Owl

Monterey Park, CA

#15 Dec 16, 2013
Expo Line gets people out of their cars, study finds
http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2013/12/exp...

People who live near an Expo Line station "dramatically reduced the number of miles they drove and tripled their rail ridership" after the new light-rail opened last year, says a new USC study out today.

Residents within a half-mile of the new station traveled 10 to 12 fewer miles daily by car.
“Los Angeles has made a large commitment to rail transit, and this study is the best evidence to date that persons near rail lines are driving less,” said the lead author, professor Marlon Boarnet of the USC Price School of Public Policy.

“People have been wondering if anyone will change their travel habits in the wake of more rail transit, and this says the answer is clearly yes.”

Read the study
http://priceschool.usc.edu/expo-line-study/
Knight Owl

Norwalk, CA

#16 Dec 19, 2013
The Commute: It's Gonna Be A While Before Metro Rail Really Starts Booming

Older transit networks tend to take on way more new commuters than newer networks do over the same period,
finds planning website NextCity,
but LA, with its newish Gold Line and Silver Line bucks the trend: It made it into the top four cities for transit use, beating out Chicago and Boston.
NextCity compared transit data for major cities from the 2000 Census to recent numbers from the 2012 American Community Survey and found that Washington DC, which hasn't added any new subway stations since 1999, saw ridership jump from 33.2 in 2000 to 37.8 percent in 2012--the largest gain of any city.
In second place was New York, where a staggering 55.6 percent of commuters take transit (up from 2000's 52.9 percent), even though there hasn't been a new subway station added there since 1989.
San Francisco barely beat out LA, where 11.1 percent of all commuters now take transit--a small but notable increase over 2000's 10.2 percent.
While our gains are good, the overall percentage of commuters who use transit is pretty far below other cities.
The moral of the story, NextCity says, is that it takes time for ridership to increase substantially.
It points out that "Washington, DC saw transit use rise decades after building out its rail networks."
Only after these transit networks have been around for a while do they really become a big part of getting workers where they need to go.
· Since 2000, Old Networks Yield More Transit Growth Than New Ones [NextCity]
Ccc

South Gate, CA

#17 Dec 26, 2013
Only sounds good to the people that don't in the area of were the train will pass.
Trash Talk

Irvine, CA

#18 Dec 26, 2013
what only sounds good?
don't shat in the area of where the train will pass?
live? work? shop???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rowland Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I heard a loud explosion near Hacienda Heights (Mar '12) 12 min Hheights resident 8
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 12 hr LM Resident 6,603
News Water Replenishment District inks $110 million ... 13 hr Sopr 7
News Swastika on black Biola studenta s door brings ... 16 hr Featherstone Harb... 4
Pauline Kael: Stupid Broad, Loathed Minorities 16 hr immagonna 1
Pacheco Why so Nervous Tuttle won't Hurt You 17 hr Monicas Dog 3
Rumor or Truth - The Tuttle wants to be City Ma... 19 hr Dysfunctional 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rowland Heights Mortgages