Azusa Rock Quarry mining proposal get...

Azusa Rock Quarry mining proposal gets council's approval

There are 271 comments on the San Gabriel Valley Tribune story from Jul 7, 2010, titled Azusa Rock Quarry mining proposal gets council's approval. In it, San Gabriel Valley Tribune reports that:

In a decision they said would define their careers, Azusa City Council members on Wednesday voted 4-1 to approve the Azusa Rock Quarry mining proposal.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Gabriel Valley Tribune.

First Prev
of 14
Next Last
concern

West Covina, CA

#1 Jul 7, 2010
Great job Azusa.
Michael Cosgrove

Duarte, CA

#2 Jul 8, 2010
Un-f-believable! Azusa's and Duarte's citizens came out by the thousands to plead with the city council NOT to do this and now they've "reversed" their decision of forty days ago? How many zeroes were added to their bribery checks?
Shame on Azusa! My boycott just began and I will urge others to avoid spending money in Azusa.
Duarte Resident

United States

#3 Jul 8, 2010
Im with the Boycott as well... I just hope Azusas Chamber feels the pinch.

Since: Feb 10

Azusa, CA

#4 Jul 8, 2010
Ironically, all the promises of reclamation do not even begin until all litigation against Azusa Rock and the City of Azusa have been decided by a court of law.

This directly from Vulcans lawyer's mouth on Monday.

So, even though they SAID in two years the reclamation of the mayan steps would begin, that is two years from the last day in court.

That means waiting for Duarte to file a suit, negotiations that will ensue and with the budget like it is and the courts all tied up, heaven only knows how many years it will be. Just toss my ashes on the Mayan Steps.
Azusa Kid

San Diego, CA

#5 Jul 8, 2010
In the 50s and 60s the smog would typically be so bad that they could have pulled this off (and did) without anyone knowing. It's a bit disturbing that 2 flip-flopping politicians can now allow further destruction to continue.
Disgusted

Los Angeles, CA

#6 Jul 8, 2010
Citizens of Azusa, vote OUT this city council. Make them pay for this decision with their JOBS
Wrong Photo

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Jul 8, 2010
Wrong photograph with this story. Should have a picture of 8 Million dollars with the Azusa Town Council.
Roland

Sun Valley, CA

#8 Jul 8, 2010
The City of Azusa did a GREAT job in my opinion and they got Vulcan pay for any court costs arising from a Duarte lawsuit. Amazingly the City of Duarte is now in a position where they stand to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars to attorneys for a cause they probably will not even win in the long run. Azusa will spend $0. Duarte's money could better be spent towards their own residents. Azusa has come a long ways.

By the way, a boycott of Azusa by a few Duarte residents is just silly. Go ahead and let them spend the extra $10 in gas to drive to the San Dimas Costco for a hot dog.
Danforth Livingston Jr

Los Angeles, CA

#9 Jul 8, 2010
Ah, quarries and mines, places for which I've always had a great affinity. It was my great grandfather, Winston Livingston, who owned some of the best coal mines in the Rust Belt all those years ago. Whenever I'm in St. Bart's, I think of Ol' Winston and how his foresight and keen understanding of the Industrial Revolution set me on my way to a life of island vacations and fine wine.
Bribery Works

United States

#10 Jul 8, 2010
Recall, recall, recall, recall. This city council are obviously not capable of making informed, sound decisions. They need to be removed as they are a disgrace to the citizens of the city.
Voice in the Wilderness

Ventura, CA

#11 Jul 8, 2010
Azusa has not come a long way. It is still in the Stone Age with Neanderthals running the city.
Alhambran

United States

#12 Jul 8, 2010
This is a classic example on how council members do not choose to serve out of civic pride or a wish to improve the quality of life for all, but rather are solely put there to carry out the desires of monied special interests.

This will certain define these council hacks career's alright — as crooked politicos. Once they've achieved their purpose and subsequently voted out, they'll cash their bribery checks and never look back.

The citizens always lose.
Michael Cosgrove

United States

#13 Jul 8, 2010
I want to let the businesses in Azusa know that they can expect a decline in revenue from the good folks in Duarte who have a conscience and will not support any form of income for the city of Azusa, even if it's just the tax dollars.

As a proud Duarte resident, I will no longer support Regency Foothill movie tickets, 99 Cent Only store, Max's Mexican restaurant, Fresh & Easy, Taco Nazo, Ross, Panda Express, Chipotle, Pinkberry, CVS, Tulipano, Canyon City Barbeque, and any other place of business within the Selfish city of Azusa (forget that old "canyon city' moniker!).
James6

La Habra, CA

#14 Jul 8, 2010
Time to start checking bank accounts LOL
Done Deal

United States

#15 Jul 8, 2010
JeriV wrote:
Ironically, all the promises of reclamation do not even begin until all litigation against Azusa Rock and the City of Azusa have been decided by a court of law.
This directly from Vulcans lawyer's mouth on Monday.
So, even though they SAID in two years the reclamation of the mayan steps would begin, that is two years from the last day in court.
That means waiting for Duarte to file a suit, negotiations that will ensue and with the budget like it is and the courts all tied up, heaven only knows how many years it will be. Just toss my ashes on the Mayan Steps.
VerriV I think you are wrong
the agreement says that the obligation to commence the reclamation of Phase I-E of the East Side
Area:
“... shall commence immediately upon the final approval and the
granting by the City to Vulcan of all land use entitlements
necessary for Vulcan to excavate, mine, reclaim and develop the
entirety of the Site during the term of this Agreement, all as
pursuant to the Planning Documents, including the expiration of all
appeals, reconsideration periods or legal challenges, and shall be
completed within eighteen (18) to twenty-four (24) months
thereafter.”
The “Site” is defined as “certain mining properties owned and operated by Vulcan consisting of 270 acres or real property.”
Since Azusa does not contemplate giving “land use entitlements necessary for Vulcan to excavate, mine, reclaim and develop the entirety of the Site during the term of this Agreement,” the triggering event for the commencement of reclamation will never come to pass.

The entirety of the Site is defied as 270 acres. That means Vulcan is obligated to commence reclamation after Azusa allows them to mine the entire 270 acres. That means fish ridge will be gone to.

Hey JerriV Azusa'a attorney is out gunned. The legal contractual language is in favor of Vulcan's mining the entire 270 acres. The reality is this battle will be way in the future and as I understand it Azusa has waived their right to any legal challenge.
Jubilee

Azusa, CA

#16 Jul 8, 2010
Paragraph 6 says it all. Mountain Cove residents win again.
Must be some really dumb A** people that live there. They never knew about the gun club..now it's gone. Didn't see the mining...WHAT ARE YOU BLIND.
What else is on Mountain Cove's agenda?????
The Bike trail??? How does that work for you guys up there? Is it OK to have us bikers ride our bikes past your homes?
City of Azusa Council I hope you know what you are doing.
Mining will be around forever. Certainly hope it was something good to change your minds.
Duarte Resident

United States

#17 Jul 8, 2010
Done Deal is right... reclamation will only begin once they get approval to mine the "Entire" site which consists of 270 acres. Great job Azusa, you just earned another bonehead award.
RCB

Newport News, VA

#18 Jul 8, 2010
Never a doubt on this one. Vulcan evidently had no difficulty buying off the Azsua City Council on this charade. At least Mayor Rocha had a heart on this issue and concerns for the people of the area. The rest of the council has said that this decision will "define their careers." I have no doubt that they never had anything else in mind all along than their careers, or pocketbooks.

“The Ravaged Canyon City”

Since: Feb 10

Azusa

#19 Jul 8, 2010
This is yet another sad black mark on our city's history. The mining has no business being there in the first place. The majority of Azusans do not want it there, much less expanding. Other than calling little toddy a jerk, I am going to try to say positive things. There have arisen two shining examples of leadership and people possessing willingness to do what is right and back the will of the people. Those two magnanimous, yet humble leaders that possess a rare testicular fortitude are Debbie Kindred and Joe Rocha. From the bottom of my disrespectful non PC heart, I want to thank you both.
---abc

Placentia, CA

#20 Jul 8, 2010
Disgusted wrote:
Citizens of Azusa, vote OUT this city council. Make them pay for this decision with their JOBS
Yes ,vote them out !Send them to Mexico if they NEED the APPEARANCE of the Mayan STEPS ! Maybe they are home sick .Are these council people KISSING BUTT or FEET ? Or both.Find out where their really reside that will probably help the solution.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rowland Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anaheim is full of opportunities! (Apr '12) 10 min Tony 91
Helping the homeless people at La Palma Park (Sep '12) 1 hr Tony 174
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 4 hr Davis 7,771
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 6 hr Life Pharts 32,816
News Baldwin Park school board to discuss employee d... (Apr '14) 23 hr Alex Avila 16
Sanctions Awarded Against Serio Cazorla $8700 23 hr Alex Avila 2
News CA: 24 Members of Florencia 13 Gang Named in Ri... (Oct '07) Thu DNCK 479

Rowland Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rowland Heights Mortgages