Plastic bag ban likely to face court ...

Plastic bag ban likely to face court challenges

There are 17 comments on the Pasadena Star-News story from Nov 27, 2010, titled Plastic bag ban likely to face court challenges. In it, Pasadena Star-News reports that:

Dannie Vgov, 22 of Alhambra places plastic bags full of groceries in a customer's cart at How's Market in Pasadena.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pasadena Star-News.

Earl Richards

Halifax, Canada

#1 Nov 28, 2010
The Polluters Protection Act or PROP 26 is a treacherous, Big Oil rip-off, which "passes the buck" from oil corporation, clean-up fees to the taxpayer, who will pay the oil recycling fees, the toxic waste fees and other fees. Repeal 26 and restore democracy. Solar power to the people. Big Oil snookered Californians with Prop 26.
Stop wasteful spending

Big Bear City, CA

#2 Nov 28, 2010
This was just an excuse for another 'fee' which will undoubtedly be jacked up once it is accepted. Trader Joe's has always used paper bags, completely renewable and environmentally friendly. Once at home, most people use the paper bags for trash, again far better than plastic.

So why tax paper bags? For the MONEY for the bureaucrats' fat salaries, pensions, and butts.

Since: Mar 10

Pasadena, CA

#3 Nov 28, 2010
I demand that the environmental madness end. Plastic bags are a truly great invention and make groceries very easy to carry.

Keep the plastic bags!
Mufon

Santa Clarita, CA

#4 Nov 28, 2010
Stop wasteful spending wrote:
This was just an excuse for another 'fee' which will undoubtedly be jacked up once it is accepted. Trader Joe's has always used paper bags, completely renewable and environmentally friendly. Once at home, most people use the paper bags for trash, again far better than plastic.
So why tax paper bags? For the MONEY for the bureaucrats' fat salaries, pensions, and butts.
My sentiment exactly. The politicians are looking at more money to waste. They could not care less about landfills and littering.
whatever

Los Angeles, CA

#5 Nov 28, 2010
Why not just tax people who do not bring their own reusable bags?
LaFarge

United States

#6 Nov 28, 2010
Another example of the arrogant County Supervisors thinking that they have more authority than the State or Federal governments. They need to go to hell.

Plastic needs to go but not this way.

Since: Apr 10

Pasadena

#7 Nov 28, 2010
Russman626 wrote:
I demand that the environmental madness end. Plastic bags are a truly great invention and make groceries very easy to carry.
Keep the plastic bags!
I demand that a plastic bag be placed over your head and it be beaten with a baseball bat.
Law Abiding Citizen

La Habra, CA

#8 Nov 28, 2010
whatever wrote:
Because that would be moronic.

Many people USE those plastic bags after the have brought them home. The folks at Glad & Hefty are probably lobbying hard for this, because it will only mean we will have to purchase more of their bags for trash disposal.

The newest plastic bags are incredibly thin and actually degrade faster than paper bags, when exposed to sunlight.

The idiots who are pushing for this are the same fools who banned styrofoam cups in West LA stores. They had no problem with those red or blue disposable plastic cups, even though those require ONE more step in the recycle process!! Don't believe me? Read the bottom of each and you will see the number in the triangle made of arrows is one higher than on the styrofoam cups. Yet many tree hugging hippies think stryofoam is evil. LOL!

Morons.
Puzzled

Ontario, CA

#9 Nov 28, 2010
Those moron left-wingers, all I will do is drive to a nearby city and buy my groceries without worring about plastic bag fees......

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#10 Nov 28, 2010
Russman626 wrote:
Keep the plastic bags!
Groceries? Don't you mean a 40 ouncer?
Robert Donin

Los Angeles, CA

#11 Nov 29, 2010
I write to express objection and opposition to the Board of Supervisors recent vote to ban plastic bags in the unincorporated areas of Los Angeles County

This was a knee jerk reaction in response to a bill authored by Assemblymember Julia Brownley which was vetoed by Governor Schwarzenegger.

Now the courts will decide.

Enough is enough!.

Robert Donin
Santa Monica, CA

Since: Aug 10

Glendora, CA

#12 Nov 29, 2010
Thank God my city is incorporated. You couldn't pay me to live in the ghetto that is now Charter Oak.
No Thank You

Phoenix, AZ

#13 Nov 29, 2010
Hey I reuse them. I use those plastic bags to clean out the cat box!

It is just another money grab tax disguised as a fee.

Since: Jun 08

Seattle, WA

#14 Nov 29, 2010
"The remainder clogs precious landfill, litters public spaces and harms animal life when the bags infiltrate waterways," according to Heal The Bay

Give me a break. "precious landfill"? Landfills aren't a precious natural resource in need of protection. They are piles of garbage. Of the millions of things that get tossed, plastic bags make up far less than 1% of landfill volume. Not exactly a clog. The VAST majority of landfill space is taken up by paper and construction debris.

Think about it and do a little math. If every household (3-4 people) uses 1600 bags a year, that's a total of maybe 20 lbs. On average, each person in the US generages about 4 lbs of trash every day, or about 1500 lbs per year. It's the 1480 lbs of trash doing the clogging, not the 20 in bags. Especially since most of those bags get to the landfill filled with trash.

Now lets talk about litter - less than 1% of all liltter is plastic bags. And litter becomes litter not because it exists, but because someone litters! Wouldn't we be better off if those littered bags were in a landfill? And if we are going to ban items that get littered, why not look at fast food packaging, bottles and cans, and cigarette butts (the most common littered item, and butts are loaded with toxins that leach into the soil). On the list of most commonly littered items, plastic bags dont' even register.

Now the animals that are harmed by bags. Of all the threats to animals - toxins in the water and air, expansion of cities into natural habitats, cars, air pollution, hunting - plastic bags are the least of the worries. Sure, a bag CAN choke an animal, but so can thousands of other manmade threats. Where's the bans on those items?
WUZsi

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Nov 29, 2010
whatever wrote:
Exactly right- and hefty one at that. For years I've been using reusable bags and why people can't do the same is rather odd. Only stupid people use plastic bags anymore.

Since: Jun 08

Seattle, WA

#16 Nov 29, 2010
Stop wasteful spending wrote:
Nope. Paper bags are renewable, but not environmentally friendly. Paper bags are 7-10 times as heavy as plastic, requiring far more fuel (OIL!) to transport. Paper bags require far more energy (OIL!) to manufacture and recycle than plastic. Paper production creates far more pollution than plastic - over 80 times the water pollution!

People also use plastic bags for trash bags. And they don't fall apart when they get wet garbage in them. Not better than plastic at all.

Trader Joe's is interested in the perception of being green, not in actually being green. TJ's is also owned by one of the megabillionaires who run Germany's Aldi supermarket chain. It's just another big corporation.
Surely

Yorba Linda, CA

#17 Nov 29, 2010
WUZsi wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly right- and hefty one at that. For years I've been using reusable bags and why people can't do the same is rather odd. Only stupid people use plastic bags anymore.
You were joking, right? No one is this dumb.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rowland Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 4 hr What phartze 33,188
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 11 hr LMSA2 8,842
News South El Monte teacher arrested on suspicion of... 12 hr bromoballz 3
News Heroin Highway - Map of heroin traffic in Santa... (May '10) 13 hr Buzz 61
News Driver in Uptown Whittier ploughs into three pa... 18 hr Trish Delish 1
News CA: 24 Members of Florencia 13 Gang Named in Ri... (Oct '07) 20 hr You dumb 483
News 'Cars 3': 17 Things to Know about Lightning McQ... Sat Pure Love 3

Rowland Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rowland Heights Mortgages