At 91, Torrance landscaper 'outworks everybody on the crew'

Full story: Daily Breeze 21
Four days a week, the go-to guy gets up at 4 a.m., eats a light breakfast and waits for the newspaper to hit the driveway of his Torrance home by 5:30 a.m. Then Larry Marty heads out to work. Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Deport All Illegals

Torrance, CA

#1 Jul 9, 2010
An amazing man! What an inspiration!
the boatlover

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Jul 9, 2010
YOU GO GRANDPA!
John Trutanichovich

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#3 Jul 9, 2010
Wow what a work ethic. I commend grandpa. There is one part of the article the Daily breeze left out...I am wondering if this part is on the up and up?
"He pours himself a cup of coffee from his thermos and reads the paper as the sun comes up - waiting for his grandson's 10-man landscaping crew to arrive."
I would sure feel a lot better if I knew this ten man crew were legal Americans. Do you all think these men in the landscaping crew are illegal aliens.....I would say if they aren't it would be an aberration.
Do you think low skilled Americans would do this type of work if the pay was decent? You know even a day laborer gets $100 per day cash....
Just wondering...
SHONDA

Hilo, HI

#8 Jul 9, 2010
this is what TORRANCE is known for, hard working individuals who earn and work their way through life. unfortunately, others have not learned the "TORRANCE" way. maybe others should learn the lessons from these TORRANCE residents.
socalal1

United States

#10 Jul 9, 2010
It's really sad when a positive article like this one about a granddad gets turned into racial comments about illegals! More power to you Grand dad ! Keep it up ! You are a wonderful inspiration ! I applaud your work ethics !
Raju

Hawthorne, CA

#11 Jul 10, 2010
The hardest working landscaper is Mr. Fedirico Martinez he is 95 yrs old and owns MB Nursery he came to this country and made a life for not only his beautiful family but for hundreds of workers that cut your lawns and throw away your weeds through out the whole south bay area and especially up on that snob hill RPV He will out work any white man any day because he is Mexican yes pure Mexican with the balls to get up monday thru sunday and work to make your home look the best! Rajusells.com
Cthulhu fhtagn

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Jul 10, 2010
resident wrote:
<quoted text>You givesa fcuk about your **** thisstory was aboput grandpa not you fcuk face so you STFU POS,
Would you two kindly get a room?
simon says

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Jul 10, 2010
I say he's a peeping Tom!
BInformed

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Jul 10, 2010
Magic!

Since: Apr 10

Santa Ana, CA

#17 Jul 10, 2010
John Trutanichovich wrote:
Wow what a work ethic. I commend grandpa. There is one part of the article the Daily breeze left out...I am wondering if this part is on the up and up?
"He pours himself a cup of coffee from his thermos and reads the paper as the sun comes up - waiting for his grandson's 10-man landscaping crew to arrive."
I would sure feel a lot better if I knew this ten man crew were legal Americans. Do you all think these men in the landscaping crew are illegal aliens.....I would say if they aren't it would be an aberration.
Do you think low skilled Americans would do this type of work if the pay was decent? You know even a day laborer gets $100 per day cash....
Just wondering...
Posters here on "Topix" complain all the time that there is not enough good stories in the DB. Now that the DB chose to print one and a damn good one at that, you come along and dirty it up with your petty complaint about some other subject. You just don't know when to keep your mouth shut do you? There is a time and place to complain and buddy this is not the time or the place to espouse your crap. This elderly man is what America is all about and we need more of him and less of you! Take a hike!!!
MrX

Folsom, CA

#18 Jul 10, 2010
simon says wrote:
I bet he thinks he's Mr. Rogers and you know he's trailer trash that bum could not support his family so he puts them to pick weeds I say thats a wetbacks job! maybe he could start a new business for old folks pick the weeds not your a double ss
.
Are you trying to communicate, or did you just decide to regurgitate a bunch of random words?
resident

Los Angeles, CA

#19 Jul 10, 2010
Cthulhu fhtagn wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you two kindly get a room?
This is a room, a public forum, by the way i wouldnt want to be any where near that ahole, he really doesnt get what "AMERICA" was built on hard working "AMERICANS" which has nothing to do with race or education. He thinks is superior than others, by the way we need more grandpas like this one.
resident

Los Angeles, CA

#20 Jul 10, 2010
R-Smart wrote:
<quoted text>
Posters here on "Topix" complain all the time that there is not enough good stories in the DB. Now that the DB chose to print one and a damn good one at that, you come along and dirty it up with your petty complaint about some other subject. You just don't know when to keep your mouth shut do you? There is a time and place to complain and buddy this is not the time or the place to espouse your crap. This elderly man is what America is all about and we need more of him and less of you! Take a hike!!!
Thank You you tell him.
Pacific

AOL

#22 Jul 10, 2010
He is from the "Greatest Generation" , I have had the priveledge of working with some of these people and they are always the best, most dedicated people you would ever meet. Sadly as time goes by they are replaced by many weak, no common sense people who fall part if I.T Dept cant fix there computers in 15 mins. May God continue to bless you great, great grandpa!
La La

United States

#23 Jul 10, 2010
This is a great story! The older generation has a much better work ethic than the young these days. Kudos to you, sir, for staying busy and living a good and meaningful life. You are an inspiration, and I loved reading your story. Stay young, handsome!!
Sandi

Los Angeles, CA

#25 Jul 15, 2010
Love these kinds of stories. This one brought a smile to my face. More good years to you, Larry!
Grandchildren

Glendale, CA

#26 Jul 17, 2010
Raju, I strongly disagree with your racist comment below.
Raju wrote:
"The hardest working landscaper is Mr. Fedirico Martinez he is 95 yrs old and owns MB Nursery he came to this country and made a life for not only his beautiful family but for hundreds of workers that cut your lawns and throw away your weeds through out the whole south bay area and especially up on that snob hill RPV He will out work any white man any day because he is Mexican yes pure Mexican with the balls to get up monday thru sunday and work to make your home look the best! Rajusells.com
"
Second, how can you bad mouth the people of Rancho Palo Verdes (calling them Snobs), and here you sell real estate in their community? For anyone who is interested, please click Raju's link to see a picture of this ugly minded man of the South Bay/Palo Verdes. Rajusells.com
Lastly, please don't make racist comparisons against my Grandfather again.
Grandchildren

Glendale, CA

#27 Jul 17, 2010
below is a picture of Raju.

http://www.rajusells.com/raju.php

For anyone who lives in Palos Verde's, please don't use him as your realitor. He will backstab you. Read his comment below.

"The hardest working landscaper is Mr. Fedirico Martinez he is 95 yrs old and owns MB Nursery he came to this country and made a life for not only his beautiful family but for hundreds of workers that cut your lawns and throw away your weeds through out the whole south bay area and especially up on that snob hill RPV He will out work any white man any day because he is Mexican yes pure Mexican with the balls to get up monday thru sunday and work to make your home look the best!"

Can't stand Raju the "backstabbing racist."
SHONDARaju

Hilo, HI

#28 Jul 17, 2010
only one problem with your thesis above, I am RAJU. i own your property and i own you!
Lilly

Broomfield, CO

#29 Jan 28, 2013
He is a hard working man, born and raised in the USA. The entire crew is white. Family owned and operated business. He is not a peeping tom or Mr. Rogers. He fought for his country and earned a silver star. Shame on you people. He ran circles around me. Made me feel lazy. His race is no ones business nor does it matter. His morals and ethics matter.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rowland Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 3 Long Beach women, Cerritos man arrested, susp... 18 min crazy xigga 4
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 5 hr Anonymous 29,271
Longhorn western defunct company looking for info 5 hr ferret13sj 1
Tuttle to star in new J*ck Ass movie 7 hr Carl Parker 2
Are the vatos from sskaka chirujos, ratas or ra... 7 hr Hbum 7
window decorations (Nov '07) 7 hr BudH 2
Soccer Owners Live Nice By Not Paying Taxes 9 hr Wow 2

Beach Hazards Statement for Los Angeles County was issued at March 27 at 10:33PM PDT

Rowland Heights Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Rowland Heights People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]