State slams door on the sale of panfish

Jul 20, 2008 | Posted by: 1wayORanother | Full story: www.denpubs.com

It appears that the time-honored practice of selling panfish like perch, crappie and bluegill is a thing of the past.

Legislation passed by both houses of the state legislature makes it illegal for recreational fisherman to sell their catch for public consumption.

The ban awaits only the governorís signature to be put in place - a move that is expected any day.

A couple of notable arrests on Lake George last year of ice fisherman who had kept several hundred more perch than the 50-fish-per-day limit set the stage for this law change.

It is a shame, though. Fisherman here have been selling perch, smelt, bullhead and other panfish to local commercial outlets for generations. Some made a wintertime livelihood from it, and consumers appreciated the fillets.

A handful of businesses also relied on it to keep their lights aglow. Norms Bait & Tackle in Crown Point and Lake Champlain Fish Co. in Rouses Point are two such businesses.

Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated Aug 23, 2008
Mac

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2008

It was bound to happen.

A shame!
Ti Dude

Cobleskill, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2008

Yes it was bound to happen. Because so many broke limit laws. It sux because I liked selling perch to supplement my winter income. Now I can't. I know some old timers who are really gonna be hit hard by this. A damn shame!!! Just another good thing ruined that alot of ppl did now ruined by the actions of few.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Rouses Point Discussions

Search the Rouses Point Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Tue College Professor 6,391
NY Who do you support for Comptroller in New York ... (Oct '10) Aug 9 JEWISH VOICE 438
NY Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in N... (Oct '10) Aug 7 dew4794 673
NY Who do you support for Attorney General in New ... (Oct '10) Aug 1 tbird Cat Controller 756
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) Aug 1 r u crazy 6,377
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Jul 23 Sham Hannuty 16,777
Auto Window Tinting Jun '14 Bruegger 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Rouses Point Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Rouses Point People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE