Two Teens Die in Antioch Car Crash Monday Night

Feb 19, 2013 Read more: Patch.com 43

A 16-year-old boy and a 17-year-old girl were killed Monday night after their vehicle struck a tree in Antioch.

Read more
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Oct 11

Antioch, IL

#1 Feb 19, 2013
This is heartbreaking. After the children we lost in 2012, I had hoped for a better 2013. My sincere sympathies to the families involved.
cally payne

United States

#2 Feb 19, 2013
Very heart breaking to lose my 16 yr old cuzzin god has called his angel home
momof2

United States

#3 Feb 19, 2013
Prayers and thoughts are with their family and friends. Such a tracic story for 2 young people. RIP.

Hold your children tight and tell them that you love them.
Antioch Mom

Round Lake, IL

#4 Feb 19, 2013
Like a comet
Blazing ’cross the evening sky
Gone too soon

Like a rainbow
Fading in the twinkling of an eye
Gone too soon

Shiny and sparkly
And splendidly bright
Here one day ... Gone in just one night

Like the loss of sunlight
On a cloudy afternoon
Gone too soon

Like a castle
Built upon a sandy beach
Gone too soon

Like a perfect flower
That is just beyond your reach
Gone too soon

Born to amuse, to inspire, to delight
Here one day
Gone one night

Like a sunset
Dying with the rising of the moon
Gone too soon

Ashley and Joel ... Gone too soon

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#5 Feb 19, 2013
Our kids have had to endure too many tragedies these past months. RIP Ashley and Joel.
laureny

Lake Villa, IL

#6 Feb 19, 2013
Ashley was the sweetest young woman. She made the 2 years of middle school fun with her beautiful smile and her adorable laugh. So pretty and young, a life lost too soon. May God wrap His arms around the family and friends and keep Ashley and Joel at rest and at peace. He's called His children home because He missed them dearly.
Unknown

Round Lake, IL

#7 Feb 19, 2013
Rip Joel&Ashley you we'll be in a good place say hi to Nicole for me
Loo

Antioch, IL

#8 Feb 19, 2013
Probably had drugs in there system which will come out in the toxicology report! Just another example why teens shouldn't have a license till they are 18! It's very sad to hear this but when will teens learn they aren't invincible!
unbelievable

Round Lake, IL

#9 Feb 20, 2013
Loo wrote:
Probably had drugs in there system which will come out in the toxicology report! Just another example why teens shouldn't have a license till they are 18! It's very sad to hear this but when will teens learn they aren't invincible!
So sad how some people can't keep their thoughtless comments to themselves.

rip Ashley and Joel

Antioch, IL

#10 Feb 20, 2013
Loo wrote:
Really? "Probably"? Were you there? Do you know them? Have some basis for this ignorant judgment? Or did you just feel the need to run off your mouth while hiding behind your anonymous computer?

Rez

Round Lake, IL

#11 Feb 20, 2013
Loo wrote:
Sounds like weather was probably the contributing factor, remember how it was out that night, windy, rainy, snowy, and icy. It sounds like this was just an accident. Heartbreaking...

Before you go accusing someone of something, you better have evidence to support it, otherwise...keep quiet.
Mystery Man

Gurnee, IL

#13 Feb 20, 2013
The car was hydroplaning on the ice and wind.
The worlds best driver couldn't have stopped under those conditions.
This was a sad accident.
Let the teens RIP.
JoJo

Lake Villa, IL

#14 Feb 21, 2013
I heard he was drunk from some mutual friends. I agree weather would have definitely been a big factor, but if it was that bad out why would he be going so fast? That car was absolutely destroyed. The wind cant slam a car into a tree at 65 mph by itself. This is no way suggests the driving age should be moved up though...
Mystery Man

Gurnee, IL

#15 Feb 21, 2013
You know nothing about hydroplaning.
It occurs when there is water on the road and the tires are spinning on the water not the road.
Its about the combination of water - road surface - tire wear - speed.
This can occur as low as 35 mph.
Once you start hydroplaning you are leaving the road and sliding on water with far less resistance then on any road surface.
That is why you then go faster then you realize.
Next the slightest turn of the wheel results in a major change in direction often in a slide or spin.
Car against tree the car loses every time.
All of this can happen in any driver, any age, any experience, sober or drunk.

As for being drunk that is just you saying that.
Based on what ? More hearsay ?
There is nothing in the article to support that.
Teen drinking is a problem everywhere.
If they were drinking the news would have been all over it.

Now let these teens RIP.
2bit

Lombard, IL

#16 Feb 21, 2013
Mystery Man wrote:
You know nothing about hydroplaning.
It occurs when there is water on the road and the tires are spinning on the water not the road.
Its about the combination of water - road surface - tire wear - speed.
This can occur as low as 35 mph.
Once you start hydroplaning you are leaving the road and sliding on water with far less resistance then on any road surface.
That is why you then go faster then you realize.
Next the slightest turn of the wheel results in a major change in direction often in a slide or spin.
Car against tree the car loses every time.
All of this can happen in any driver, any age, any experience, sober or drunk.
As for being drunk that is just you saying that.
Based on what ? More hearsay ?
There is nothing in the article to support that.
Teen drinking is a problem everywhere.
If they were drinking the news would have been all over it.
Now let these teens RIP.
There is nothing in the article thats supports hydroplaning either.
Mystery Man

Gurnee, IL

#17 Feb 21, 2013
2bit wrote:
<quoted text>
There is nothing in the article thats supports hydroplaning either.
Direct quote from the article
Weather appears to be a contributing factor.
UNQUOTE

Check on the weather and you'll find it was high winds - ice - snow - wet roads.

AGAIN NO MENTION OF DRINKING IN THE ARTICLE

Antioch, IL

#18 Feb 21, 2013
JoJo wrote:
I heard he was drunk from some mutual friends. I agree weather would have definitely been a big factor, but if it was that bad out why would he be going so fast? That car was absolutely destroyed. The wind cant slam a car into a tree at 65 mph by itself. This is no way suggests the driving age should be moved up though...
Pretty sure toxicology tests were conducted. SOP for the coroners office. If it were true, we'd have heard about it by now, I'd think. Driving to fast for conditions? A definite possibility.
anonymous

Melrose Park, IL

#21 Feb 23, 2013
To all of you commnting about drugs & alcohol I can assure you this is not true it would have been reported that day if the police had suspected it not only that Joel eas a goog kid I would know he lived on the same street as me so for all you ignorant idiots just stop this nonsense!!!!
anonymous

Melrose Park, IL

#22 Feb 23, 2013
To all of you commnting about drugs & alcohol I can assure you this is not true it would have been reported that day if the police had suspected it not only that Joel was a good kid I would know he lived on the same street as me so for all you ignorant idiots just stop this nonsense!!!!
anonymous 2

United States

#23 Feb 24, 2013
Bub wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know about drunk, but it's pretty apparent that he was driving too fast for conditions. Kids see themselves as invincible.
although too fast for weather conditions might have been a factor, lots of innocent lives also parish do to avoiding wild life or stray pets. I visited the accident site to pay respect to two people I never knew... may both families and all friends recover from your loss. Your all in my daily prayers. Peace and love be with you all...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Round Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 60 years later, gang leader's slaying still uns... (Jan '08) Thu supporter 1,194
News New Antioch bistro to feature French cuisine (Apr '09) Apr 14 notgoing tothebistro 291
Antioch Township Website Apr 12 Mom 17
News Video made in hopes of bringing Megan Nichols home Apr 10 usernsme 2
Vegas Restaurant!!!! Apr 9 Hungry 1
IH Rent - Invitation Homes Complaints (Feb '14) Apr 8 chinadoll 102
IH Rent -- Invitation Homes Rentals (Feb '14) Apr 8 chinadoll 50
More from around the web

Round Lake People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]