Antioch Police and Retail Ban Notices

Posted in the Round Lake Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Officer Friendly

Alsip, IL

#1 Apr 24, 2014
Will/Can the Antioch Police explain the Public Process and History of Retail Ban Notices in use in Antioch, IL., and more specifically, for Non-Criminal Violations & Non-Village Code Violations, etc. at the Wal-Mart?

How is it that Law-Abiding, Non-Criminal persons, are being subjected to Intimidation & Harassment by Antioch Police Officers, who the Chief claims are (trying) to serve Ban Notices as a favor for the Local Wal-Mart Manager? Outside of their service area too?

What is this?

Could this be the same as "Process Serving", where the Chief of Police has the Unique Authority to Serve Process - as in delivery of Court Ordered Paperwork?

No, I can't be, because there are no Judge Signed Orders or Legal Documents, or anything to due with Lake County or Illinois Justice.

This is the Antioch Police obeying their TRUE Leader - Tim the Store Manager at Wal-Mart in Antioch?

Ban-o-rama

Antioch, IL

#2 Apr 24, 2014
Being banned from Wal-Mart is like being deported from Djibouti. No big loss in either case.
Officer Friendly

Alsip, IL

#3 Apr 25, 2014
Ban-o-rama wrote:
Being banned from Wal-Mart is like being deported from Djibouti. No big loss in either case.
The Disabled Person is more Concerned with this Illegal Antioch Police Actions, than with shopping at Wal-Mart in Antioch, IL. OR any other Retail Store In Antioch right now.

The Antioch Police DO NOT have the Authority to Harass and Intimidate innocent People who have committed NO CRIMES within their Service Areas - just because "Tim Southerland at Wal-Mart did not LIKE Them".

SERIOUSLY?

So with all the time and effort being put into the Wal-Mart Ban Notices I am not very surprised that the PUBLIC in Antioch are reporting here that Trucks are Running Red Lights at 173 and Deep Lake.

APD claims that the Time Police are "Posing as Serving Ban Notices for Wal-Mart", is actually done as a Favor to Tim Southerland (at Wal-Mart) from the Antioch Chief of Police?

A favor? in return for what? I say.
Antioch Watcher

Woodridge, IL

#4 Apr 25, 2014
Time to get a lawer ,
Law Abiding Citizen

Antioch, IL

#5 Apr 25, 2014
Antioch Watcher wrote:
Time to get a lawer ,
Or a lawyer. Preferably one who can explain to you that private businesses have a right to ban anybody they want, and that police have a responsibility to enforce the law - such as stopping a disturbance of the peace or the potential for one, if the offense occurred or will occur in their jurisdiction, even if the person involved is outside the city limits at the time they are contacted. Things have changed a bit since the days of Bonnie and Clyde. They don't have to slam on their brakes at the township line.

I don't know if that is the issue here, but I also don't think it is fair to bash any police department for doing what they are legally allowed and expected to do.

Just my view.
just sayin

Waukesha, WI

#6 Apr 25, 2014
Tim is no longer the manager at antioch walmart nor has he been for over a month. Dont know where you got your info but the man doesnt work there anymore, he got a brand new store in another town.
Officer Friendly

Alsip, IL

#7 Apr 26, 2014
We live in a day where everyone is subjected to recordings, including the Police now.

Village Police are given the RIght to Protect the PUBLIC by Laws.

This process is called Due Process, and the American Legal System is based on this time-tested approach of Justice for All.

When the Police Fail to Work within the LAW behind them they expose themselves to actions as described in the Tribune article linked below.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/ed...
Officer Friendly

Alsip, IL

#8 Apr 26, 2014
We call ourselves Public Servants but I'll tell you this: we as Public Servants must Set an Example for the Rest of the Nation.

It is Hypocritical for the Public Official to Admonish and Exhort the People to uphold the Common Good.

Barbara Jordan
What

Lake Villa, IL

#9 Apr 28, 2014
shop somewhere else
move somewhere else
Walmartian

Antioch, IL

#10 Apr 28, 2014
I suggest the Wally World on Rt. 83 at Monaville Road in RLB. Nice store and they welcome disabled people.
Actual Martian named Wal

Antioch, IL

#11 Apr 30, 2014
Greetings Earthlings. Wal here from the Syrtis Major Planum.region. We have learned of your WalMart company from those annoying signals from your primitive communication device called WGN. Is it a tropical store and do they sell bugs? If so, do they have 5 million bugs in stock? Also, we are looking for crystals for our XD-11 Death Ray machines. Do they have them in one pound size? Will they price match with coupons from our store ZOG? Are police the same as our Klong Hullgets? There are too many of them here. I cannot even go out to smoke a havenlum without one of them shining an inspectoray at me. Do they levitate like ours or do they move around on all 5 feet?

We will be arriving soon and look forward to your answers. Please do not tell me that there are ban notices on Kremmels. That will not go down well with our leader Fladderack Mobumma.

Wal
Wal Mart Band Notice

Antioch, IL

#12 May 6, 2014
I noticed WalMart has a sign up about the Lakes High School band concert. I gave them a piece of my mind on behalf of the coupon dude. One band notice is enough. It already got him in trouble which I think is unfair. Just because he is a musician, that doesn't mean he is ALL bad. Maybe just a little bit bad.I hope the police will allow the concert to continue. Just because WalMart has its own brand, it does not mean they need to ban bands.
Frequent Flyer

Round Lake, IL

#13 May 6, 2014
I agree with band ban. They should ban all bands. Band aid, bandannas, band widths, and the dreaded rubber bands. I'm sick to death of it all.
The Shadow

Lake Villa, IL

#14 May 6, 2014
Wal-Mart is private property. If the manager or authorized employee requests the Antioch Police to issue a "ban notice" which in reality is a trespass notice which informs the recipient they are no longer welcome or allowed on Wal-Mart property, then they're just doing their job. If you're told "not to come back" and you in fact, "come back" then you're going to be arrested for trespassing. Where's the big confusion ?

And Wal-Mart isn't going to request you not return to the store location unless you're doing something illegal, like stealing merchandise or causing a problem. So here's a thought, DON'T be a dirtbag and you won't have to worry about not being allowed back to Wal-Mart.
Officer Friendly

Chicago, IL

#15 Jul 18, 2014
Is this the response from the Antioch Police?

Is Wal-Mart a "Good Neighbor" - as they promised to our community when they were allowed to build here in Antioch?

Some may recall the Sierra Club were involved with the Wal-Mart development as many of Illinois cleanest Lakes and Wetlands are in the immediate area of their store.

There were numerous Violation Notices issued against that property and the Village of Antioch too, when they built. Violations of water quality laws that protect all of the people living near the site.

Is the act of Good Neighbors? Good local Government?

So, Mr Shadow, are you representing the Antioch Police or Village Administrator?

Who are you, and what are your sources to make such claims against others?
The Shadow wrote:
Wal-Mart is private property. If the manager or authorized employee requests the Antioch Police to issue a "ban notice" which in reality is a trespass notice which informs the recipient they are no longer welcome or allowed on Wal-Mart property, then they're just doing their job. If you're told "not to come back" and you in fact, "come back" then you're going to be arrested for trespassing. Where's the big confusion ?
And Wal-Mart isn't going to request you not return to the store location unless you're doing something illegal, like stealing merchandise or causing a problem. So here's a thought, DON'T be a dirtbag and you won't have to worry about not being allowed back to Wal-Mart.
Antiocher

Round Lake, IL

#16 Jul 18, 2014
Officer Friendly wrote:
Is this the response from the Antioch Police?
Is Wal-Mart a "Good Neighbor" - as they promised to our community when they were allowed to build here in Antioch?
Some may recall the Sierra Club were involved with the Wal-Mart development as many of Illinois cleanest Lakes and Wetlands are in the immediate area of their store.
There were numerous Violation Notices issued against that property and the Village of Antioch too, when they built. Violations of water quality laws that protect all of the people living near the site.
Is the act of Good Neighbors? Good local Government?
So, Mr Shadow, are you representing the Antioch Police or Village Administrator?
<quoted text>
Actually I believe the post was from someone trying to inject some common sense into this topic. I guess it didn't work.
Officer Friendly

Chicago, IL

#17 Jul 19, 2014
So you have Common Sense? I say you have Antioch Sense?

How do you explain that this is a business inviting the General PUBLIC into their store.

The store is advertised as being open to the PULBIC 24 hours a day!

Special Access for Disabled Persons too.

According to the current manager, only Persons who are removed from Wal-Mart by the Antioch Police are issued Ban Notices - for Violations of LAW like stealing, etc.
Antiocher wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I believe the post was from someone trying to inject some common sense into this topic. I guess it didn't work.
Antioch Resident

Round Lake, IL

#20 Jul 20, 2014
Wow.... police abuse powers. In my town. Horrible.
The Shadow

Lake Villa, IL

#21 Jul 22, 2014
Once again, Wal-Mart is *private property* and Wal-Mart management can choose who can or cannot be in the store. The fact that they are advertised as a 24 hour store doesn't mean they have to let anyone they don't want in. They can "invite" or "uninvite" whomever they choose. If the person doesn't want to leave when asked, then the police are called....they're removed and issued trespass notices.

If someone is arrested for breaking the law ( which includes stuff like being a dumbass and causing a scene ) then it would be logical to assume management wouldn't want them back in the store.

This is just common sense people.
Officer Friendly wrote:
So you have Common Sense? I say you have Antioch Sense?
How do you explain that this is a business inviting the General PUBLIC into their store.
The store is advertised as being open to the PULBIC 24 hours a day!
Special Access for Disabled Persons too.
According to the current manager, only Persons who are removed from Wal-Mart by the Antioch Police are issued Ban Notices - for Violations of LAW like stealing, etc.
<quoted text>
Officer Friendly

Chicago, IL

#22 Jul 24, 2014
Is this the response from the Antioch Police? Perhaps the Chief of Police?

(720 ILCS 5/21-3)

Criminal trespass to real property.
(a) A person commits criminal trespass to real property when he or she:
(1) knowingly and without lawful authority enters or
remains within or on a building;

For purposes of item (1) of this subsection, this Section shall not apply to being in a building which is open to the public while the building is open to the public during its normal hours of operation; nor shall this Section apply to a person who enters a public building under the reasonable belief that the building is still open to the public.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Round Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New anti-tax group forms from dollar-bill prope... 3 hr George Washington 2
News 60 years later, gang leader's slaying still uns... (Jan '08) 3 hr bystander 1,207
News Gliniewicz aftermath, one year later 21 hr Foxtucky Sucks 2
Shutdown Grimm road! (Jul '15) Mon Grimm Reaper 20
Third party option? Sun simps 2
IH Rent - Invitation Homes Complaints (Feb '14) Aug 16 Livandlurn 136
News Constable: Police raid leaves Antioch woman hom... Aug 16 SMDH 1

Round Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Round Lake Mortgages