Projects would boost Lake County fore...

Projects would boost Lake County forest preserve access

There are 17 comments on the Daily Herald story from Feb 5, 2013, titled Projects would boost Lake County forest preserve access. In it, Daily Herald reports that:

Proposed adjustments to the Lake County Forest Preserve District's capital plans for the upcoming budget year could result in better access to some properties, set the table for future connections and provide for other work.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Herald.

You apprved it

Round Lake, IL

#1 Feb 5, 2013
Another out of control bureaucracy overseen by out of touch politicians that will NEVER run out of ways to spend the public's money. If anyone doubts that, start with a look at their palatial headquarters building.

The LKFP concept is a good one, but like so much else involving government or quasi-government efforts, there is no proof this one has not turned into anything more than a self serving perpetual motion machine that exists largely for the people who work there.

It is time for investigative reporting, audits, and a different approach to oversight than that provided by the Lake County Board. And a cessation to spending another penny without a referendum authorizing continuance of their new project spending. Voters may well want to reign in this money eating machine given the terrible financial times we are in. LKFP bureaucrats obviously do not have the same concerns and limitations the rest of us have.
truthseeker

Antioch, IL

#2 Feb 6, 2013
Completely agree. I am sick to death of hearing about new bike paths, walking bridges and a lot of other projects that would be nice IF WE HAD THE MONEY. Absolutely ludicrous that any entity in this state continues to spend money on frivolous projects that are not a necessity right now.

Since: Oct 11

Antioch, IL

#3 Feb 6, 2013
I disagree. I greatly appreciate that they purchase land and stop development. I use the forest preserves, love to explore them, walk with my family & dog. We fish at Ravens Glen, and use the bike trails. Nothing more peaceful that a quiet Sunday afternoon in the woods.

I'd rather give them my tax dollars than fund some blow-hard politicians pension fund.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#4 Feb 6, 2013
I love my bike rides too but this state is in a dire financial condition. In my opinion, Forest Preserve spending is just another perk that we can ill afford.
Scu ssa me

Antioch, IL

#5 Feb 6, 2013
News Reader 2011 wrote:
I disagree. I greatly appreciate that they purchase land and stop development. I use the forest preserves, love to explore them, walk with my family & dog. We fish at Ravens Glen, and use the bike trails. Nothing more peaceful that a quiet Sunday afternoon in the woods.
I'd rather give them my tax dollars than fund some blow-hard politicians pension fund.
Yes, they are nice. But we cannot afford more spending on expanding them at this time. I'd rather see the money go to people who cannot find enough to eat because of the horrible unemployment situation that continues under the latest idiot running the country. I do agree, however, with your comment about funding blow hard politician pensions - and all of the rest of the giveaways for state and municipal employees.

Everybody should be on the same ground when it comes to benefits. Participate in SS, and get your retirement medical the way the rest of us have to - Medicare. I am sick of politicians making laws about our benefits and then having their own set of special deals. Same for retired school administrators, and everybody else in a non public job. Who the HELL do they think they are?

One more point: term limits for ALL politicians. 8 years. PERIOD. Unless you move up. Trustee Pierce in Antioch, out now. Mayor Hanson in Antioch, out after one more term. Dick Durbin, out, the rest of the lifer idiots in Congress, Springfield, the Lake County Board, Villages, Hamlets, and backwater mosquito trap towns, out. These people either have ego's as big as Mars or they just like sucking on the taxpayer nipple. Either way, they all need to be thrown out after two terms. Their ideas are not the only good ideas, and we can do without most of them. Don't agree with that, look at the mess they have all created, and the riches the leaches have created for themselves personally that the rest of us must fund. One big broken system, and a corrupt one at that.
Mystery Man

Gurnee, IL

#6 Feb 6, 2013
I'm with News Reader on this one.
I support our preserves. I used to take my daughter to volo bogs when she was growing up. That place is nature at its best and its right in the area. Used to go to Grant Woods too.

We can find the money real easy by looking at the politicians.
Term limits are just a stepping stone.
How about these ideas.
1 ) we live in the computer age. Do they really need so many offices or office buildings ? They can handle most stuff at home with e-mails, wifi, and smart phone conference calls.
2 ) since they don't need an office they don't need a large staff. Two staff members should do it.
3 ) they get a pay higher then most people so they don't need a free car. let them drive their own cars around.
4 ) let them fly coach if they even need to fly at all.
5 ) since most of their work can be done at home they don't need bodyguards or any other hanger-ons.
6 ) let them pay into their benefits ( health retirements ) just like anyone else.

This can be extended for those not in politics but still on the taxpayer dime.
Teachers get paid a fair wage but only work 9 months.
School should be 12 months long.
Teachers should be fired for poor job performance.
No other job is protected from being fired as a teacher.
Background checks are needed on Teachers - cops - firefighters - in fact anyone on the tax payers dime should face a background test.

The money is there. We don't need to take it away from the forest preserves.
Resident

Antioch, IL

#7 Feb 7, 2013
ANY more spending on unnecessary projects at this difficult time should be absolutely prohibited. THE MONEY IS THERE AND SHOULD BE TRANSFERRED TO PAY DOWN WHAT IS OWED. This state is broke! How in the world can anyone think this is a good idea? It's that kind of thinking that got us where we are.

Since: Oct 11

Antioch, IL

#8 Feb 7, 2013
Resident wrote:
ANY more spending on unnecessary projects at this difficult time should be absolutely prohibited. THE MONEY IS THERE AND SHOULD BE TRANSFERRED TO PAY DOWN WHAT IS OWED. This state is broke! How in the world can anyone think this is a good idea? It's that kind of thinking that got us where we are.
Taking money from LCFP and giving it to the state will only result in it being wasted. Until Quinn takes measures to bring spending under control and work towards getting the debt paid down, nothing further should go his way. He'd just take this money and spend it, without doing anything to reduce the overall debt.

The latest? Let's cut another $400MM from education. He wants a $200MM spending package approved, yet does nothing to address the $9B (yes, BILLION) in past due bills.

Like the old saying goes - "What do you mean, there's no money, I still have checks left!"
Cassandra

Saint Charles, IL

#9 Mar 1, 2013
The Lake County Forest Preserve is rather corrupt.

They force people out of their homes and condemn homeowners property at will so that they can conform the landscape to their plans to receive Federal Grants for their Millennium Trail.

Oh you have a nice piece of property in a place that we need to access the road or extend our trail! We condemn your property and declare eminent domain! Now you are penniless and homeless!

They need to be investigated.
sickofILcorrupti on

Antioch, IL

#10 Mar 1, 2013
this state should not spend a dime on anything that isnt necessary

enough is enough

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#11 Mar 1, 2013
I'm all for another walking, riding, whatever path too. Except now is absolutely not the time! We have got to stop spending unless it is a necessary expense. Unfortunately, IMHO, forest preserve spending is not a necessary expense.
Mystery Man

Gurnee, IL

#12 Mar 2, 2013
LazyK wrote:
I'm all for another walking, riding, whatever path too. Except now is absolutely not the time! We have got to stop spending unless it is a necessary expense. Unfortunately, IMHO, forest preserve spending is not a necessary expense.
Actually there is a way to pay for it.
While most of the parks are FREE some do charge for some services such as space for large groups.( been to the company picnic )
Some have horseback riding.

I'm a big fan of FREE and want my parks free for anyone to walk in and enjoy nature at its best.
But i also see where a SMALL fee for certain items could bring in needed money. For example.
1 ) hunters - close the park one day a week during hunting season just for them.
2 ) Snowmobile sledding areas in the winter. Rope off a section and charge them.
3 ) Fishing areas for the parks with small lakes and streams.
4 ) basketball/tennis/hockey area/ice skating etc

Don't run it like a big business but rather as a SMALL park fee for having set aside a small area for it.
WhereIsYourSense

Lake Villa, IL

#13 May 5, 2013
I dislike the Forest Preserve. They take family's land that has been there since the 1800's when they settled in Libertyville and say that they can take it because 'it is theirs.' It is a disgrace. They take what they want, even if you fight it.
http://libertyville.suntimes.com/news/1921894...
duh

Antioch, IL

#14 May 5, 2013
WhereIsYourSense wrote:
I dislike the Forest Preserve. They take family's land that has been there since the 1800's when they settled in Libertyville and say that they can take it because 'it is theirs.' It is a disgrace. They take what they want, even if you fight it.
http://libertyville.suntimes.com/news/1921894...
welcome to corrupt illinois
where dollars are all that matter
Leaving illinois

Lake Villa, IL

#15 Aug 31, 2014
Lake county forest preserve is so corrupt,they use the county.departments to harass people who's property they are trying to take,for what their accessors say it it worth or devalue it so they can help the better good of the people of the county,yeah right,ruining family's shutting down farms and businesses,not behind in taxes,for the better of the community ,yeah right.freedom of information against them closed door,I mean open meetings act meetings get redacted papers to filers,scum of the earth in lake county illinois board forest preserve and the county board are same corrupt people double dipping smiling as they steal your neighbors land and lying about if the county realy needs it, when they donot they just decide if they want it ,and they figure out how they are going to steal it,or acquire it I am sorry,did I say something negative about lake county's smiling while stealing representatives,enjoy your retirement tom Hahn,biggest land stealer ohh acquirer in lake county illinois history,way to use the county's money and all the departments to harass the hard working people of illinois.corrupt corrupt corrupt.run from illinois if you still can,imagine if they want your property because you have a lot or are Ina nice country area.

Since: Aug 14

Location hidden

#16 Sep 6, 2014
News Reader 2011 wrote:
Oh yeah, I agree with you! Raven Glen is a nice park, and if they make more, it'd be great! That's one reason why Lake County is good!

Since: Aug 14

Location hidden

#17 Sep 6, 2014
Leaving illinois wrote:
Lake county forest preserve is so corrupt,they use the county.departments to harass people who's property they are trying to take,for what their accessors say it it worth or devalue it so they can help the better good of the people of the county,yeah right,ruining family's shutting down farms and businesses,not behind in taxes,for the better of the community ,yeah right.freedom of information against them closed door,I mean open meetings act meetings get redacted papers to filers,scum of the earth in lake county illinois board forest preserve and the county board are same corrupt people double dipping smiling as they steal your neighbors land and lying about if the county realy needs it, when they donot they just decide if they want it ,and they figure out how they are going to steal it,or acquire it I am sorry,did I say something negative about lake county's smiling while stealing representatives,enjoy your retirement tom Hahn,biggest land stealer ohh acquirer in lake county illinois history,way to use the county's money and all the departments to harass the hard working people of illinois.corrupt corrupt corrupt.run from illinois if you still can,imagine if they want your property because you have a lot or are Ina nice country area.
That sucks. But at least better for the environment, Plus, there's land in other places too.... So if lake county is very bad, just sell the land, buy in other place! Farms use pesticides, which aren't good, so forest preserves are better!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Round Lake Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Antioch Small Engine Repair is a scam (Jul '11) 6 hr Margo D 115
News How much is Gliniewicz investigation costing ta... (Nov '15) 22 hr fox lake 20
News Fox Lake administrator lauded for investigating... 23 hr whoo hoo 1
what happened to Mill Creek (Jun '13) 23 hr petes creek 6
Gangs in Mundelein and why the PAPERS dont talk... (Aug '09) 23 hr word 126
News Lake County Sheriff Arrests Alleged Heroin Deal... (May '12) 23 hr funnyman 22
Carpenters 357 (Sep '15) 23 hr Foxtucky 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Round Lake Beach Mortgages