Novato makes service a graduation requirement

Novato high school students will need to complete at least 10 hours of community service each year in order to receive a diploma, the district board ruled Tuesday. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Uh Oh

Novato, CA

#21 Aug 18, 2010
jesse wrote:
forced volunteerism, zeig heil, my brown shirt brothers and sisters
Hmmm....sounds awfully familiar. Oh, wait...didn't Obama mention having forced volunteerism also? Why, yes he did. Anyone seeing a pattern here? Schools (unions)...Obama....indoctrina tion....
Amazon

United States

#22 Aug 18, 2010
And look how well you turned out. So articulate and civil.
steph wrote:
<quoted text>
really WRONG-hole? i was a punk kid at NHS who volunteered at Novato Community Hostpital back in the day, Jus-B-****-Cuz! it was a GREAT experience. while mandating such a thing seems weird (US out of my uterus thanx), what's the harm in this REALLY? it's not that much time...40 hours in 4 years? as a part of the cirriculum, it will provide more asSet than not. choose a battle, suck a D. and get cause.
Nick

San Jose, CA

#23 Aug 18, 2010
Forced volunteerism isn't volunteerism at all. Just more government intrusion.

Do you thing the district will create a position for someone to pull a pension and a salary to monintor the volunteerism.....
steph

Sausalito, CA

#24 Aug 18, 2010
Amazon wrote:
And look how well you turned out. So articulate and civil.
<quoted text>
thank you for noticing!!! like i've said before, i'm here to enjoy, annoy and destroy. carry on. PS: i'm an Amazon too!!! yay, it's like we're twins!

Since: Apr 09

Marin County, CA

#25 Aug 18, 2010
It's involuntary servitude for liberal causes....

Hmmm. Will parents be able to file a "personal belief exemption" for this inane requirement like they can for the much more important vaccination requirements?
Demosthenes

United States

#26 Aug 18, 2010
Observer wrote:
While we are at it, how about requiring welfare recipients to perform community service before they get their taxpayer check?
Welfare recipients will be among those excused from this service for "economic reasons".
Anand Freeman

San Rafael, CA

#27 Aug 18, 2010
I would refuse to participate in this program on moral grounds as I am opposed to slavery.

The fact that it is "only" 40 hours of slavery is meaningless. I would not be a slave for 1 minute.
Demosthenes

United States

#28 Aug 18, 2010
Anand Freeman wrote:
I would refuse to participate in this program on moral grounds as I am opposed to slavery.
The fact that it is "only" 40 hours of slavery is meaningless. I would not be a slave for 1 minute.
YOU will do as you are commanded.
MARIN CONJOBS

San Leandro, CA

#29 Aug 18, 2010
I'd have no problem with this requirement when Non-Profits were legit. Very few truly help anymore.
They have become money makers for people who can't make a legit dollar. To many liberal arts majors--
especially MFCC's, start up a non-profits. Load
up the board of directors with cronies, and set up
shop. They exploit the disabled, and the poor--
but still have the nerve to show up in church.
Some are in such denial, they actually start believing their hypocrisy. Many are run by a husband and wife team. The money is hard to track, but theirs usually one, or two people making a
very good living--while the rest of the organization
basically works for free. I could easily list 20 off the top of my head, but I'm afraid of their Lawyers. Next time you enter a raffle, or make a donation--Ask one question; How much does the
highest paid person in your organization make?

MARIN
HAS
MORE
NON-PROFITS
THAN
ANY
OTHER
THAN
ANY
OTHER
COUNTY
IN
THE
USA
MARIN CONJOBS

San Leandro, CA

#30 Aug 18, 2010
per capita
jesse

Novato, CA

#31 Aug 18, 2010
Demosthenes wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU will do as you are commanded.
yes, we have our ways, you will submit or face the consequences
good idea

Danville, CA

#32 Aug 18, 2010
than they can see the permanent underclass...that many of them will BECOME..in truth.
To stay in Marin...a very wealthy place...you must MAKE IT BABY
The vast majority will NOT ...at least not to Marin standards.
They will leave..to have families.
Only the LOSERS will be able to stay...on the dole or in out of jail.
These are the ones they will meet doing this service.
It will SCARE the LAZY right out of them!
Good Idea!
Amazon

Oakland, CA

#33 Aug 18, 2010
steph wrote:
<quoted text>
thank you for noticing!!! like i've said before, i'm here to enjoy, annoy and destroy. carry on. PS: i'm an Amazon too!!! yay, it's like we're twins!
Carry on then!
Press 6 for English

San Rafael, CA

#34 Aug 20, 2010
Observer wrote:
While we are at it, how about requiring welfare recipients to perform community service before they get their taxpayer check?
When you institutionalize charity, an unhealthy dependency relationship is created.

Period.

Since: Apr 09

Marin County, CA

#35 Aug 20, 2010
Press 6 for English wrote:
<quoted text>
When you institutionalize charity, an unhealthy dependency relationship is created.
Period.

Even the Buck Trust has realized that lately. Remember how when they fairly recently decided to re-allocate some funding, several charities essentially yammered that they were being denied "entitlements"? Their arguments were that they had become dependent on the Buck Trust, and "needed" the money.

The beauty of charity is that you can stop it at will, especially when you determine that it isn't beneficial any more. Unfortunately, such is not the case with government programs.

Before long, farmers' markets, community gardens, whatever, in Novato will be crying that the district is denying them their entitled labor if enough students don't sign up for their particular brand of involuntary servitude.
Press 6 for English

San Rafael, CA

#36 Aug 21, 2010
Rational approach wrote:
<quoted text>
Even the Buck Trust has realized that lately. Remember how when they fairly recently decided to re-allocate some funding, several charities essentially yammered that they were being denied "entitlements"? Their arguments were that they had become dependent on the Buck Trust, and "needed" the money.
The beauty of charity is that you can stop it at will, especially when you determine that it isn't beneficial any more. Unfortunately, such is not the case with government programs.
Before long, farmers' markets, community gardens, whatever, in Novato will be crying that the district is denying them their entitled labor if enough students don't sign up for their particular brand of involuntary servitude.
Not only are charities dependent on maintaining their revenues and increasing payrolls, but the same is true with governmental agencies. After taking a course in administrative law, I realized that we have many "governments within governments." Each agency (whether federal or state) is created and contains an executive, legislative, and judicial department. Each relies on the "upper-tier" government for ever increased budgets. Seldom, if ever, is an agency shut down. It took a miracle to shut down the U.S. board of tea appeals. It was long overdue, and cost tens of millions to eliminate an unnecessary and duplicitous agency within the FDA. People still got their benefits and pensions .. More and more government jobs jobs jobs....and it's only getting worse. Sure. Some governmental jobs are necessary, but it's taken over far too many tasks, and handled many very poorly. But they've created jobs~!

We need far less government. Now, they're taking over businesses, health care (to a greater degree than before) and it's frightening.

We're so screwed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ross Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 3 hr sand ship 200,999
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Mon ForkBelly 7,962
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Mon Flaggstaff 5,083
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Sep 21 theos 2,276
Dick Spotswood: Bike path accident leads to cal... Sep 21 Wesley Renzas 1
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Sep 18 Pizza 16,000
Marin exhibit reflects renewal of Jewish art in... Sep 18 Spasoje Djukanovic 46
•••

Ross News Video

•••
Ross Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Ross Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Ross People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Ross News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Ross
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••