Ross School nets $2.85 million in sti...

Ross School nets $2.85 million in stimulus windfall

There are 49 comments on the Marin Independent Journal story from Aug 31, 2009, titled Ross School nets $2.85 million in stimulus windfall. In it, Marin Independent Journal reports that:

Ross School has won the federal stimulus fund lottery. School officials learned Friday they would receive a $2.85 million school construction bond tax credit as part of the federal stimulus bill - a credit Superintendent Tammy Murphy believes will save Ross taxpayers $5.4 million in interest.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Marin Independent Journal.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Dragged into reality

United States

#41 Sep 4, 2009
get real wrote:
OK so the wealthiest community in the wealthiest County, that is attended by wealthy families gets free money from the Goverment? Maybe some friends pulling some strings?
Ummm....yeah....so the folks that pay all the taxes in teh first place should never get anythjing back - that would just be plain wrong!- Moron!

Since: Aug 09

San Rafael, CA

#42 Sep 4, 2009
Wealthy schools can afford grant writers and research available money. It's always been that way. We can only hope they teach citizenship and ethics. But actions speak louder than words.
trickle down test

Novato, CA

#43 Sep 8, 2009
There is a lot of vitriol and uninformed criticism in the comments above (for example, contrary to what was stated, Ross is probably the most Republican community in Marin and is hardly a hotbed of Democrats). What comes through is a legitimate, profound sense of unfairness here. For Ross, one of the most affluent communities in the country, to receive $2.85 million in tax credits when other school districts in California are severely hurting just seems wrong. However, Ross didn't set up the lottery. The lottery could have been set up to give an equal amount to all the districts that applied. Without knowing more specifics, I suspect the Ross school district is probably at a stage in financing and construction planning where it can make use of a construction grant (whereas the Reed Union School District in Southern Marin has completed a major remodeling of its facilities and can't make use of it, which probably explains why it didn't apply). The Ross school district's superintendent and board did their fiduciary duty by applying for the stimulus grant. It's now up to individual Ross residents who benefited from this bounty to turn around and share with others by giving generously to programs that serve poorer school districts and poorer students, and to do it without taking the personal income tax deduction.
Dont count on it

Alameda, CA

#44 Sep 9, 2009
With all due respect...do you really think the folks in Ross will voluntarily help out a less affluent school district with their "bounty"?
The only reason some of these folks donate to anything is to see their name on a list of donors and the tax deduction.
No glory or no tax deduction = no donation
kitty

United States

#46 May 26, 2010
Jealousy makes you Nasty!
Bradford

South Saint Paul, MN

#47 Jul 13, 2010
I could not think of a more needy community in our nation.

So now all the Ross residents will support Obama?
Mark

Berkeley, CA

#48 Aug 23, 2010
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! No wonder the State is not only broke but, in MAJOR debt. The Ross School doesn't need a handout. They should be ashamed of themselves for taking the money. The Town of Ross per capita, is then richest community in the State of California... Not to mention nation-wide. What a disgrace. Government Beaucracy is absolutely incompetent and its' spending is totally out of control!
good humor

Fairfax, CA

#50 Aug 28, 2010
Parent from Ross wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't have an au pair, don't have a hot tub. My family rents, because we can't afford to buy here and there are others here that either rent like us or if they bought, bought a small 1500 sq ft place for their family of four, did so because they responsibly looked at the math and realized it would make more sense to buy that small place in Ross instead of a McMansion elsewhere of twice the size so that they knew they lived in a safe place with a good school. I find it really sad to see how people want to once again paint Ross as a place filled with only rich people instead of realizing there are plenty of people who come from backgrounds of middle class families and are not millionaires. Once again, stereotypes and being critical of people with no information what so ever about reality.
got call foul here. 1st, remember to reread your original missive before responding again. If you are renting and can't afford to buy than why did you say "...and pay enormous taxes and volunteer at the school and work hard to help raise bonds...". So you pay no property taxes, and can't afford, so where are those enormous taxes you pay compared to other more needy school district parents.
2nd. I am tired of the warren buffett quotes, Warren pays less than his assistant because he only pays himself a $100k salary. His choice. nd after he made billions on americans buyinf See's candy, geico, etc... he decides we the americans aren't worthy of his money he will owe us in taxes. Nope he will gift it all to gates foundation which spends it's bulk on needy 3rd world folks (I like what gates does but warren owes it to americans to pay his taxes back into the country that built him. Maybe then we wouldn't need stimulus to build a sweet university like elementary school in Ross)
good humor

Fairfax, CA

#51 Aug 28, 2010
Ross Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes 50 Sense, I do know a few other descriptive words: You are an apogenous, bovaristic, coprolalial, dasypygal, excerebrose, facinorous, gnathonic, hircine, ithyphallic, jumentous, kyphotic, labrose, mephitic, napiform, oligophrenial, papuliferous, quisquilian, rebarbative, saponaceous, thersitical, unguinous, ventripotent, wlatsome, xylocephalous, yirning, zoophyte.
This one is great also...especially since it is in alphabetical order. Hmmmm ...is this true too? "I do know a few other descriptive words" ? or did you find a book that has descriptive words in alphabetical order...gee I wonder. Do those Ross kids cheat too
LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ross Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New owners take over Rolling Hills Club in Novato (Feb '10) Jul 14 Your mom 33
Port-A-Potty on Every Corner Jun 26 stop resisting 1
News Political Road Map: How a gas tax increase coul... Jun '17 trump4everdynassty 9
Trump B O Cured by Prayer? Jun '17 Bless Donald 1
News Girl, 16, trips up burglary suspect in Sausalito (Aug '09) Jun '17 yidfellas v USA 31
News High Court Says Taxpayer's Lawsuits Not Limited... Jun '17 USS LIBERTY 1
News Co-owner of bar in Oakdale murdered (Jul '06) Oct '16 Not Shady 3

Ross Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ross Mortgages