Ross School nets $2.85 million in stimulus windfall

Full story: Marin Independent Journal

Ross School has won the federal stimulus fund lottery. School officials learned Friday they would receive a $2.85 million school construction bond tax credit as part of the federal stimulus bill - a credit Superintendent Tammy Murphy believes will save Ross taxpayers $5.4 million in interest.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of49
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
get real

San Rafael, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

OK so the wealthiest community in the wealthiest County, that is attended by wealthy families gets free money from the Goverment? Maybe some friends pulling some strings?
Out of Control State

Petaluma, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

Wow, is this money given out at random? These are like the richest folks in the world and they need Fed money? Maybe a latte machine out front for officer Bob?
Out of Control State

Petaluma, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

If is sounds like corruption, looks like corruption, and smells like corruption, don't step in it...because guess what it is. Corruption. Who knew who to pull off something like this? Very few things in recent history of Marin have made me want to puke so bad.
Marinite

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

that's what i'm thinking, if any school could raise the money themselves without even holding a friggin' bake sale it's ross valley.
Disgusting

Novato, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

This is repulsive.....of all the towns in California scrambling for education funds, ROSS is the LAST place I'd think needs it.....if they had any self-respect they'd return the money.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

Of course the school administrators will decide that they do not have an immediate need for the money, so they will invest it and pay some existing administrators as well as some well connected 'consultants' the task of managing those funds.

Just like Novato does, paying nearly one million dollars a year, more than half of it going to outside consulatants, to manage fifty million dollars they have in their building fund that there are no plans to use.

Soon Ross, like Novato, will be crying poor and threatening to lay off classroom teachers if the residents do not pass a law to tax themselves or extend an existing parcel tax at a higher rate.
bridge to somewhere

Palo Alto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

When is MUTA to going to start carping about this one?
bill hilly

Mountain View, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

WTF?!?!
If they are half as noble as they pretend to be, they'd direct that money to local districts that can't even hire teachers...
This is absurd...
bridge to somewhere

Palo Alto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

Hey now, the people in Ross pay a lot of taxes and have already voted for bonds to fund much their school needs so getting a little back should be ok, no?
TamDownhill

Larkspur, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

Ross obviously doesn't have any self respect -- they turned in an application in the first place. Do the right thing, throw it back to save face.
GetRealMarin

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

Lets get this straight, the richest school in the County get the free money?????? It must be nice to live a privileged life in the democratic party.......
50 Sense

San Rafael, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

Great news for Sean Penn. The saved mansion taxes he can donate to his heroes Fidel Castro & Hugo Chavez.
Bob

Belvedere Tiburon, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

I can see a lot of anger here and I wonder why, the Ross School got the money by chance, in a lottery. Some of you are saying give it back. So if someone like Sean Penn, or Huey Lewis goes into a 7-11, buys a one dollar lotto ticket then hits for a Million dollars they don't have the right to keep the money, and should give it back. Sorry don't see the logic here. However I do agree, they (Ross School) had better not be talking about teacher lay-offs, or the HUGE salary (over $240K) that Ms. Murphy gets for running a one school district. Combine the school districts and save all of them a ton of money; but that's another thread.
Kurt

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Bob, you are right... they won the money fairly in a lottery system. My suggestion is that they shouldn't have applied in the first place. Think of all the school districts in the nation that could have benefited from this windfall. I would think that this wealthy, self-supporting, one-school district needs this money the least of anyone. That's like me walking into the St Vincent Dining Room and stuffing myself when I can afford to pay for my own meal. Actually it's probably worse than that analogy suggests. It's a slap in the face to all the people who truly need this money.
nativemarin

Verneuil, France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Well......isn't that special.....
Parent from Ross

San Rafael, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

As a parent in Ross with school children attending the Ross School, it is really sad to see the kind of commentary and anger on this board and to see the school district/school described in the way it is being described here. While it is true that Ross may have the highest overall per capita income in one of the wealthiest counties in California, not everyone is a billionaire or millionaire, many people who are working parents who can't afford private school move to Ross and buy a small bungalow (not a mansion) and pay enormous taxes and volunteer at the school and work hard to help raise bonds to pay for a school building that was badly damaged in a flood. Every school in Marin County, the state and country had the opportunity to apply for this tax credit from the federal government. Ross School district and the school had been devastated by the flood and the kids are in trailers for their classrooms. Just because there are many families in Ross who are wealthy, why shouldn't the school be allowed to apply and enter the lottery? Please distinguish between billionaires and millionaires in Ross (who don't even have kids attending the school) and the school district, a public school with kids whose parents work hard and pay taxes like everyone else. I will say I personally will state that the United States is a country that doesn't fairly tax the population so maybe that's what people should be bitching about and start working to change tax code that benefits corporations and the wealthy. For example Warren Buffett's secretary pays higher taxes than her boss. But should Warren Buffett then not be allowed to take advantage of tax shelters or tax deductions that are part of the tax code? I suggest that net tax rate that people pay should become more uniform (ie why should a teacher at the Ross School making a teachers salary pay 25% in taxes and a millionaire 10% because of tax benefits?) But I suggest before people start mouthing off about the wealthy, why not work hard to get a fairer tax system put in place in this country if it bothers you and write a letter to your Senator or Representative in the same amount of time you post here. But to broad brush paint the Ross School District as a bunch of wealthy benefactors is unfair and incorrect. To get angry that they applied for a tax credit that was open to all school districts and then done by a lottery (or to suggest the lottery was rigged) is ridiculous and absurd - even paranoid. And the person who made the nasty comment about buying Bob the Police Officer who stands duty every morning at the school a latte machine is an insult to him and the Town of Ross. Officer Bob is a decent hardworking man who wants the kids there to be safe at school and his grandson with cancer to live.
Mary

Novato, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Why the he** didn't Novato apply for this money? They need it a heck of a lot more than the millionaires in Ross who basically have a private school. Novato Town Council has a lot to answer for, as do District officials. This is ridiculous. I don't blame Ross in a way because they got it together to make the application but I am sending my taxpayer dollars to build a school for stockbrokers, CEO's and movie stars' kids? Give me an fing break!!!
How embarasssing

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Boy that's some hutzpah that Ross school has even applying for the money. Guess they thought oh why not. Probably didn't even enter their minds that another district might need it aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalot
more. But what the hey it was a lottery and they won fair and square.
To the woman who believes that: "Ross School district had been devastated by the flood and the kids are in trailers for their classrooms".
Please cry me a river and take a field trip to oh let's say Hunters point or even some of the local schools in San Rafael.
"Just because there are many families in Ross who are wealthy, why shouldn't the school be allowed to apply and enter the lottery?"
Huh? how about thinking about the districts whose parents can't afford to buy a Ross bungalow for say oh, what are they going for now a million? Please you're embarrassing yourself.
Fred Tucker

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

You are welcome from the rest of the states that are managed by adults. What the heck is wrong with you children?
Whatever

Greenbrae, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

Parent from Ross wrote:
As a parent in Ross with school children attending the Ross School, it is really sad to see the kind of commentary and anger on this board and to see the school district/school described in the way it is being described here. While it is true that Ross may have the highest overall per capita income in one of the wealthiest counties in California, not everyone is a billionaire or millionaire, many people who are working parents who can't afford private school move to Ross and buy a small bungalow (not a mansion) and pay enormous taxes and volunteer at the school and work hard to help raise bonds to pay for a school building that was badly damaged in a flood. Every school in Marin County, the state and country had the opportunity to apply for this tax credit from the federal government. Ross School district and the school had been devastated by the flood and the kids are in trailers for their classrooms. Just because there are many families in Ross who are wealthy, why shouldn't the school be allowed to apply and enter the lottery? Please distinguish between billionaires and millionaires in Ross (who don't even have kids attending the school) and the school district, a public school with kids whose parents work hard and pay taxes like everyone else. I will say I personally will state that the United States is a country that doesn't fairly tax the population so maybe that's what people should be bitching about and start working to change tax code that benefits corporations and the wealthy. For example Warren Buffett's secretary pays higher taxes than her boss. But should Warren Buffett then not be allowed to take advantage of tax shelters or tax deductions that are part of the tax code? I suggest that net tax rate that people pay should become more uniform (ie why should a teacher at the Ross School making a teachers salary pay 25% in taxes and a millionaire 10% because of tax benefits?) But I suggest before people start mouthing off about the wealthy, why not work hard to get a fairer tax system put in place in this country if it bothers you and write a letter to your Senator or Representative in the same amount of time you post here. But to broad brush paint the Ross School District as a bunch of wealthy benefactors is unfair and incorrect. To get angry that they applied for a tax credit that was open to all school districts and then done by a lottery (or to suggest the lottery was rigged) is ridiculous and absurd - even paranoid. And the person who made the nasty comment about buying Bob the Police Officer who stands duty every morning at the school a latte machine is an insult to him and the Town of Ross. Officer Bob is a decent hardworking man who wants the kids there to be safe at school and his grandson with cancer to live.
I hope your post is a huge, sarcastic, uninformed joke.

Go back to your hot tub and be sure the au pair bathed your kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of49
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Ross News Video

•••
•••

Ross Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Ross People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE