Woodlands Market plans March opening ...

Woodlands Market plans March opening for Tiburon store

There are 29 comments on the Marin Independent Journal story from Aug 4, 2010, titled Woodlands Market plans March opening for Tiburon store. In it, Marin Independent Journal reports that:

The owner of Woodlands Market in Kentfield said he hopes to open a new grocery store in Tiburon's Boardwalk Shopping Center in early March and expects the Tiburon Peninsula's first pharmacy in years to open in the center soon.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Marin Independent Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
rod azar

San Mateo, CA

#1 Aug 4, 2010
happy for don and also for people live in tiburon . i am resedent in tiburon . and i know don santa .when i use to work and help my friend in photo printing shop fine image
and tha time dons father has a great famly grocery shop and i meet done and also became our costomer . then i think father pass the way and done and family i think with lots of hard hard work he made it and i am proud and can not wait to greet him to open a great food store in my liveing area .we realy need it . I AM WISHING A BEST FOR HIM
Liquor is quicker

San Jose, CA

#2 Aug 4, 2010
You do got be saying it is OK for them when coming back to town!
Hannah- Tiburon Ca

Petaluma, CA

#3 Aug 4, 2010
As a Tiburon resident I am sad to see such an incredible store departing. The Boardwalk market has been a part of town history for almost 30 years generously donating to all schools, police and charities that have ever asked. It is incredible to see a family run store with the owner operators working daily in a time when faceless operator run rampant. I personally will be boycotting the store opening as I am so disappointed with the Tiburon Land Company for not extending the lease and letting a small business who treats their customers and employees like family. What a disappointment for the town of Tiburon.
Reason

San Rafael, CA

#4 Aug 4, 2010
Downtown Tiburon is a disaster because all the commercial spaces are owned by people that have never worked a day in their life and instead are living off what their parents built.

You have the Tiburon Land Company in it's second generation of being a rentier, doublecrossing the nursery for example, no loyalty at all to the town or the businessmen, just mere greed.
Then there is the Zelinsky family. Old man Zelinsky was generous and donated land for the library etc. His kids and other relatives are sitting on their butts and doing nothing but collecting rent. One, has now basically destroyed Downtown by making her inherited parking lot so expensive the most people won't use it and there are no validations. Doesn't even live in Marin.
The town should take the lot by eminent domain and make it a free or low cost lot with meters. The boardwalk will become the new downtown when the market opens. The Chinese restaurant there has new owners and is excellent. Bayside Nursery is an overlooked treasure. If they are kicked out this family will shop in Mill Valley.
Ally

San Rafael, CA

#5 Aug 4, 2010
I'm sure the new improvements will be nice, but I feel like a part of this story is missing. It just doesn't seem right to push a nice, well run family-owned grocery store out of business that has been in Tiburon for almost 30 years because a new landlord has a different vision for the place. Sure, it's the owners piece of property, and he can do what he wants. But it echos the same for the new, nasty landlord at the Larkspur Landing - excuse me, "Marin Country Mart" Shopping Center. A sort of "who cares, I am the owner" type of attitude and that they are going to "do what they want" and disregard the local business and customer that has already been there for two to three decades. It's just not right!
Marinite

San Rafael, CA

#6 Aug 4, 2010
don't even get me started on the "Marin Country mart".
tiburonmom

Aiea, HI

#7 Aug 5, 2010
Reason is soooo right about the tiburon parking lot being useless to the community. It completely thwarts any hope of running a decent business in downtown tiburon. I'd love to the see the city take it over.
Reason

San Rafael, CA

#8 Aug 5, 2010
The Supreme Court OK'd a town taking over private property for private profits leading to a higher tax base. Surely it would be ok for the town to take over private property for public use and the enhancement of other businesses?

With Rooney's gone what are locals left with? A mediocre corporate chain Mexican restaurant with a view and a courtesy kitchen to go along with the bar.
A watering hole for floozy tourists that think seagulls are charming, a soon to be opened deli on the water--possibly of some utility. A movie theater with expensive parking and no validation, a struggling little restaurant at the end of Ark Row for the walk home after too much beer and salsa bunch, and the New Morning Cafe.

No parking = no business.
No business = a dead tourist trap.
A dead tourist trap = no tax revenue.

Make the lot public with validation for those supporting local businesses.
steph

Mill Valley, CA

#9 Aug 5, 2010
I can't think of a better place for the "Whitelands" market! and Hannah, don't worry darlin', they'll probably donate to schools too, as Don is generous.
Makes Sense

United States

#10 Aug 5, 2010
Ally wrote:
I'm sure the new improvements will be nice, but I feel like a part of this story is missing. It just doesn't seem right to push a nice, well run family-owned grocery store out of business that has been in Tiburon for almost 30 years because a new landlord has a different vision for the place. Sure, it's the owners piece of property, and he can do what he wants. But it echos the same for the new, nasty landlord at the Larkspur Landing - excuse me, "Marin Country Mart" Shopping Center. A sort of "who cares, I am the owner" type of attitude and that they are going to "do what they want" and disregard the local business and customer that has already been there for two to three decades. It's just not right!
OMG....it's not like Wal-Mart is moving into this space. Woodlands is a great grocery store with an awesome deli, the freshest vegetables, fruit & NEVER a wait at check-out...probably among the top 3 I've shopped at nationwide. After about a month shopping there, you locals will be forgetting all about the old market. And, be real...landlords do not ignore local businesses and customers....without them, they don't make money either. Being there "two to three decades" does not give a business squatting rights.
Kevin

United States

#11 Aug 5, 2010
Wow a store closing in Tiburon and within months a new store will open. Here in Marinwood Bell Markets closed a few years ago, and there's still no new store at the Marinwood Plaza shopping center.
Parent

Mill Valley, CA

#12 Aug 5, 2010
I wish Woodlands would re-institute their eScrip program. I guess discontinuing help to schools is helping to fund their growth to Ross and Tiburon. Please consider giving back to the community, apart from Kent, Bacich and Redwood. I've heard nothing but nice things about Don Santa and I know he cares about Education. Please, Don, consider eScrip again to all Marin schools. We shop a lot at your stores and would love the support.
Thanks.
Peninsula Mom

San Ramon, CA

#13 Aug 5, 2010
Reason wrote:
Downtown Tiburon is a disaster because all the commercial spaces are owned by people that have never worked a day in their life and instead are living off what their parents built.
You have the Tiburon Land Company in it's second generation of being a rentier, doublecrossing the nursery for example, no loyalty at all to the town or the businessmen, just mere greed.
Then there is the Zelinsky family. Old man Zelinsky was generous and donated land for the library etc. His kids and other relatives are sitting on their butts and doing nothing but collecting rent. One, has now basically destroyed Downtown by making her inherited parking lot so expensive the most people won't use it and there are no validations. Doesn't even live in Marin.
The town should take the lot by eminent domain and make it a free or low cost lot with meters. The boardwalk will become the new downtown when the market opens. The Chinese restaurant there has new owners and is excellent. Bayside Nursery is an overlooked treasure. If they are kicked out this family will shop in Mill Valley.
My family will be shopping with you! Bayside Nursery is the best example of a family run business that really cares about its merchandise and its customers, building relationships with the community. On Ark Row, there are a couple of tenants who will tell you that Mr. Zelinsky not only was their landlord but helped them in offering advice, making improvements and following their success but now that all has changed. The Delanos site if town owned would be a great resource - a community center perhaps, a community garden, a site for bike sharing, just a few ideas I've heard while in line at Boardwalk Market.
Peninsula Mom

San Ramon, CA

#14 Aug 5, 2010
Parent wrote:
I wish Woodlands would re-institute their eScrip program. I guess discontinuing help to schools is helping to fund their growth to Ross and Tiburon. Please consider giving back to the community, apart from Kent, Bacich and Redwood. I've heard nothing but nice things about Don Santa and I know he cares about Education. Please, Don, consider eScrip again to all Marin schools. We shop a lot at your stores and would love the support.
Thanks.
That's a good point. Paradise Market gives to both the CM and Reed school districts because of its proximity within both, also hosts that great pancake breakfast every year. For Tiburon - that breakfast idea would be a great idea for Woodlands to kick off their market - using the huge vacant parking lot across the street!
Seriously, I agree it is good business sense to support the schools in the communities where each school is located.
Peninsula Mom

San Ramon, CA

#15 Aug 5, 2010
Oops, I meant to say "support the schools in the communities where each store is located." Sorry.

Since: Apr 09

Marin County, CA

#16 Aug 5, 2010
Reason wrote:
a soon to be opened deli on the water--possibly of some utility....

Get out much?

Bistro 35 has been open for weeks, and it's more than a deli. I suspect San Rafael isn't just where your ISP is located, it's probably as close as you've been to Tiburon in months as well.

Since: Apr 09

Marin County, CA

#17 Aug 5, 2010
Well, Don Santa has already backpedaled on the Pharmacy. Let's see what goes next.

While I'm as ready as the next person for a "no-wait" grocery checkout in Tiburon (yes, I'm tired of waiting for 5 minutes every visit while the checkout person chats about grandchildren with the person in front of me), Mr. Santa's proposal to reroute the entire parking lot is insane--it will cost both lot and on-street parking, with no benefit whatsoever.

What, is he worried that a functioning parking lot might make the folks using his horribly overcrowded Woodlands/Kentfield lot jealous, so he has to destroy the one in Tiburon?
Boardwalk Market moving

San Rafael, CA

#18 Aug 5, 2010
Anyone know where Boardwalk Market is moving too so I can shop there also and give them some of my business? If anyone knows about them moving somewhere, then post it so I can shop at their store. Thanks!
cindy

San Francisco, CA

#19 Aug 5, 2010
they're gonna love it! Woodlands is the best!
prepared foods

Honolulu, HI

#20 Aug 5, 2010
Boardwalk Market moving asked: "Anyone know where Boardwalk Market is moving too so I can shop there also and give them some of my business? If anyone knows about them moving somewhere, then post it so I can shop at their store. Thanks!"

Grocery store heaven.

BTW, Don gives 1 to 2 percent of his gross sales to charity. Why do people also want or expect him to be part of an escrips program? How much do YOU all give to charity?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ross Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Marin City Becomes Trump Resort Sep '17 hortikultoor 1
News Co-owner of bar in Oakdale murdered (Jul '06) Oct '16 Not Shady 3
News Ellen: Kids are not in star couple's future, El... (Mar '15) Apr '15 Ted Cruze 11
News Community Hospital Long Beach Foundation (Nov '14) Dec '14 Dr_Zorderz 9
News Despite California climate law, carbon emission... (Oct '14) Oct '14 IBdaMann 4
News California and Solano County wants businesses t... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Commander Bunny 14
News Feds to San Diego: Migrant families coming (Jun '14) Jul '14 Amigo 4

Ross Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ross Mortgages