Tuesday Readers' Forum

Tuesday Readers' Forum

There are 7 comments on the Marin Independent Journal story from Nov 2, 2010, titled Tuesday Readers' Forum. In it, Marin Independent Journal reports that:

My husband and I, and our three young daughters, are proud members of St. John's Episcopal Church, a church that truly "walks the walk." Without fail, the humanitarian and altruistic outreach programs at St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Marin Independent Journal.

Fact Checker

Mill Valley, CA

#1 Nov 2, 2010
I totally agree with the above comments about the absurdity of spending $40 to $65 million dollars on opening the Alto Tunnel for the benefit of bike riders who want an easier and faster trip between Corte Madera and Mill Valley. There are alternate routes that wouldn't cost even a fraction of that amount, and there are much better uses for that huge sum of public funding--especially these days!
E Howard

Mill Valley, CA

#2 Nov 2, 2010
Have the MCBC hold some bake sales and bike washes
to raise the money.
wookie trail user

Ross, CA

#3 Nov 2, 2010
Just another tired group of marin nimbys and hohas. alto tunnel will reduce car trips!
Tunnel Supporter

Redwood City, CA

#4 Nov 2, 2010
If the tunnel is not stabilized and reopened, it will be necessary to spend an estimated $11,000,000 of local money to stabilize the collapsing tunnel with no additional benefit. If we stabilize and re-opening the tunnel, we will stimulate our local economy by getting back millions of the tax dollars that we have sent Washington, and will complete a wonderful transportation project that will significantly reduce traffic on our local roads.

The benefits to millions of multi-use trail users vastly outweigh the concerns of a few dozen NIMBYs about the sounds of people enjoying themselves. The bottom line is that people who live next to proposed trails usually hate the idea, but love the trails once they are open.
Clarifier

Mill Valley, CA

#5 Nov 3, 2010
So exactly who is it that would be using the tunnel? In one breath, Tunnel Supporter says it would be millions of multi-use trail users, but in the next breath it's going to be people who would otherwise be creating traffic congestion on our local roads.

The truth is that the half-mile long tunnel would be used by a hundred or so recreational bikers and a few hardy folks who commute by bike. At a cost of up to $65,000,000 it would be many decades before the cost could be amortized on anything resembling a reasonable per-trip basis.

Suggesting that there's a need to spend millions in local money to stabilize the tunnel anyway is a smoke-screen. Where does Tunnel Supporter get that?
Tunnel Supporter

Redwood City, CA

#6 Nov 3, 2010
Clarifier wrote:
So exactly who is it that would be using the tunnel? In one breath, Tunnel Supporter says it would be millions of multi-use trail users, but in the next breath it's going to be people who would otherwise be creating traffic congestion on our local roads.
The truth is that the half-mile long tunnel would be used by a hundred or so recreational bikers and a few hardy folks who commute by bike. At a cost of up to $65,000,000 it would be many decades before the cost could be amortized on anything resembling a reasonable per-trip basis.
Suggesting that there's a need to spend millions in local money to stabilize the tunnel anyway is a smoke-screen. Where does Tunnel Supporter get that?
All of this information is presented very clearly in the $250,000 "Mill Valley to Corte Madera Bicycle and Pedestrian Corridor Study". If you have any questions after reading the study and it's appendixes, I will be happy to answer them.
Aristotle

San Francisco, CA

#7 Nov 5, 2010
Tunnel Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
All of this information is presented very clearly in the $250,000 "Mill Valley to Corte Madera Bicycle and Pedestrian Corridor Study". If you have any questions after reading the study and it's appendixes, I will be happy to answer them.
And we all know that "the studies" are never wrong ... right?

1998 -- Bay Bridge cost study ... estimated cost:$1.3B ...

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html...

2005 -- Bay Bridge overruns shoot cost estimate to:$5.1B

http://www.ktvu.com/news/4205755/detail.html

2010 -- Bay Bridge "new" cost estimate:$6.3B

And that's for something we actually NEED ... unlike this stupid tunnel.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ross Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Deport Poor & Problems Jun 21 Trumpleman Dollarz 1
Elevator Sex Classes Start Jun 16 Top Floor 1
Trump Tiburon Rally Planned Jun 11 socio lane 1
Chose Yr Own Judge Gaining Jun 6 TRUMPTRUMPTRUMP 1
Fundamentalist Christian Sharia Coming Jun 2 trumperstrumpers 1
Gohmert For Pres Campaign Heats Up May 31 Trump4Everwoof 1
News Ellen: Kids are not in star couple's future, El... (Mar '15) Apr '15 Ted Cruze 11
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ross Mortgages