With bridge closure and pipeline proj...

With bridge closure and pipeline project, Ross shopkeepers feel tig...

There are 24 comments on the Marin Independent Journal story from Aug 29, 2010, titled With bridge closure and pipeline project, Ross shopkeepers feel tig.... In it, Marin Independent Journal reports that:

Donna Doran, owner of Breaking Away Bicycles in Ross, works at the counter Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Marin Independent Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ross Is Unaware

Novato, CA

#1 Aug 29, 2010
The city did NOTHING for its businesses to help prepare for this blockage.

I have never seen such a disconnected, uncaring, unconscious business community whose city planning has their heads so far up the local dry bed creek, that they have failed to help those who pay the outrageous downtown rents to try to serve the locals.

Bily Markakis, for example, is the most BRILLIANT and TALENTED trainer in the US (he trained the first lunar landing team for NASA, he opened the first Gold's gym in Venice CA, he trained and competed with Governor Arnold in the old days, he won 2 Purple Hearts in Viet Nam, he helped get multiple movie celebs into working shape for the biggest Hollywood Blockbusters) and he has just moved his training center to 32 Main. The city has done nothing to help him deal with their closure, after many years of his loyalty to the Ross community nearby.

This man has more experience, knowledge and talent in his big toe, regarding training and fitness, than you will find in all of the bay block-head, self-proclaimed trainers, combined! If you don't know enough about training or fitness to believe me, go ask him for a free consultation. He'll show you more in five minutes than you have heard in five years, elsewhere!

Ross has a jewel in its midst with Bily. It took me 35 extra minutes to find him today because of this blockage. Shame on Ross. They owe far more to their local talent!

Everyone has always thought that Ross's attitude has gotten in the way. Now they have added this roadway mess!
TamIsGreat

Mill Valley, CA

#2 Aug 30, 2010
MMWD doesn't care either. I can't believe they couldn't find a way to give people access around the lakes during this period. Not even a small single track track temporary trail on the fire road.
anonymous

Warwick, RI

#3 Aug 30, 2010
Ross is one of the most peaceful and beautiful places, with a heavily restricted lifestyle only available to those in the uppermost echelons of society. Although I understand the anxieties of any business owner, especially those in Marin who feel the effects of residents who don't shop locally, which is often the case, Ross is hardly a mainstream shopping district, and, what's more, I find it difficult to understand the poignancy of this article when I just read about the fifty million other very serious situations in the world.
If you live in Ross, or anywhere near it, have heard of it, spent time in it, or have a business there, or loved ones, or people you care about, as we do, you get that this is a special place. But come one. Be serious. If you live in Ross, spend time in it, have a business here, or loved ones, or people you care about, YOU CAN AFFORD TO SPEND YOUR TIME ON ISSUES OF DEEP IMPORTANCE TO THOSE WHO HAVE LESS. It's been some time since I have heard people complaining about the closure of the second main artery that connects Aspen to Denver. It's closed most of the year. If you live in Aspen, you're already ahead of the game. Ditto for Ross. Get ahold of yourselves!!!!!
anonymous

Warwick, RI

#4 Aug 30, 2010
you couldn't get to your trainer? True, Ross doesn't seem to show much in the way of interest in its own town. But, there are people who can't get out of a hole in the ground in Chile. You spent extra time on adventuring to a trainer, which bespeaks mountains about the Marin lifestyle, which is EXTRAORDINARY at best. We are LUCKY to call ourselves local, when we do, in such a paradise of beauty. To live in an area like that, afford a trainer, or be one, in such a lovely place, with so much deep awareness of local organic agriculture and such a wealth of arts and sciences around you, and to complain about a bridge closure, you may need to add a Buddhism class or a little yoga to your training schedule. I can appreciate your comments, as it's nearly impossible to get locals to care about working locals in places like Ross, for sure, I do get that, and I know people who had to close up shop there. And, everyone's issues are relative also. But, in general, if have health and happiness AND a trainer,(and I hope you have all always!!!!), you should express gratitude that you have a bridge to walk on, and legs to stand on, in a place like Ross.
anonymous

Warwick, RI

#5 Aug 30, 2010
not sure why there are stars covering the word "hole" oh I get it. I am referring to the mine in Chile. Not a person. Yikes, nice editing!!!
anonymous

Warwick, RI

#6 Aug 30, 2010
Seriously, read about the miners in Chile, and then comment on the bridge closure, or write to the IJ to tell them to discuss this disappointment in more appropriate context. If you can't get to Ross easily, or you are stuck in the ground for five months in 100 degrees with no bathroom and only a few calories, and you must labor for 15 hours a day moving rock to get yourself out, for what they say is four months without stopping, what do you have to complain about with that bridge in Ross, that compares, unless you are in danger from it or in terrible pain from the (mostly) pristine air and beauty of your surroundings? Unless you are mentally or physically unwell or in terrible pain, your gripes are a bit odd and very provincial.
Why Chile

Mill Valley, CA

#7 Aug 30, 2010
So the new standard for every comparison is the miners in Chile?
Person #1: Hi, I’m unemployed and haven’t worked for 2 years.
Person #2: Well, at least you’re not stuck in a mine in Chile.
Person #3: Hi, my son was hit by a car and will be in the hospital for 3 months?
Person #4: Well, at least he’s not stuck in a mine in Chile.
Person #5: Hi, the home I’ve lived in for 15 years is being foreclosed and I have no place to live.
Person #6: Well, at least you’re not stuck in a mine in Chile.
Get it, morons? This article is NOT about Chile. Nor is the first post listing a personal trainer’s entire CV relevant. The article IS about a small bridge that should have taken just a few months to complete, but due to an EXTREMELY incompetent town manager, will take 5 months. This article is really about Ross’s overpaid, incompetent town manager – and its effects on merchants (and residents). He should be fired, or at least "asked" to resign -- after all, it is Ross...
Bitter Men Posting

San Francisco, CA

#8 Aug 30, 2010
Anybody who opens a business in Ross can expect failure. Unless you are Eddie's or a Real Estate office. Heck, Sam the Butcher even went belly up.
Ken

San Francisco, CA

#9 Aug 30, 2010
I agree: MMWD and lake access. Nil. Weird. Why? Lawyers due to people falling and lawsuits most likely.

Why the bridge demolish? Maybe I am out of the loop, but was the old bridge deficient?
Sean Penn

San Rafael, CA

#10 Aug 30, 2010
Boo Hoo

Wah wah wah.

Poor Ross.

I want my house back.
TamIsGreat

Mill Valley, CA

#11 Aug 30, 2010
It's really cool that Sean posted something here!
completely

San Rafael, CA

#12 Aug 30, 2010
Ken wrote:
I agree: MMWD and lake access. Nil. Weird. Why? Lawyers due to people falling and lawsuits most likely.
Why the bridge demolish? Maybe I am out of the loop, but was the old bridge deficient?
there is still access at Phoenix lake and yes you are out of it.
Hunter Hater

Mill Valley, CA

#13 Aug 30, 2010
"Councilman Scot Hunter said he has become a more regular customer of Ross Grocery, better known as Eddie's"

Scot -- it takes more than buying an occasional KitKat bar at Eddie's to serve this town.
North Korean

San Rafael, CA

#14 Aug 30, 2010
Sean Penn wrote:
Boo Hoo
Wah wah wah.
Poor Ross.
I want my house back.
Sean, you still packin' heat? You never know when you're going to get jumped on Ross Common.
Down and Out Dude

Hilmar, CA

#15 Aug 30, 2010
Anonymous, are you the same person I just flipped a dollar to near the COM? I'm concerned; yet, impressed that homeless persons have laptops to blog on multiple times. Glad to see my buck was not wasted on a can of beer or bud.

Since: Jun 10

Marin County

#16 Aug 30, 2010
Why Chile wrote:
So the new standard for every comparison is the miners in Chile?
Person #1: Hi, I’m unemployed and haven’t worked for 2 years.
Person #2: Well, at least you’re not stuck in a mine in Chile.
Person #3: Hi, I just found a finger in my chili.
Person #4: Well, at least you're not stuck at Wendy's in Chile.
anonymous

Warwick, RI

#17 Aug 31, 2010
No, we are from Aspen, Mill Valley, and East Hampton, visiting Martha's Vineyard and areas with big ivy league schools etc. But thanks for the coin you flipped to someone.

And of course you shouldn't compare anyone in Chile doing anything to an ill person of any kind, nor was I and I gave a specific reference to all of that, if you read the post. But, compare the stuckness of those with a bridge issue and Ross to people in very serious positions, and you see, we who have everything, and you do if you live in Ross, UNLESS you are suffering from something serious, should not complain about such things.

And yes, if you are stuck with a foreclosed home or are unemployed, it's still a far sight better than being completely impoverished in certain nations and suffocating under the ground, as your chances of improvement may be better, and may not be. Your misery is of your own making, and you sound fairly upset, so I hope you feel better soon. And, of course, choosing to work in a mine is of a certain choice as well, although we know nothing about those kinds of choices in Ross, and so cannot authoritatively say.

If you are so concerned about these issues, and want to stay above the field of sorrows of the oppressed, which includes foreclosures, and troubles of the world as well, etc, make it your business to go to school, earn a good living in a white collar career, and help others. If you focus on others, and the inherent beauties around you, the dramas of life will be less irritating to you, the things people say, including what I am saying, will be less irritating, and you will not react with vehemence.
anonymous

Warwick, RI

#18 Aug 31, 2010
"Unless you are mentally or physically unwell or in terrible pain, your gripes are a bit odd and very provincial."

This is what is called a disclaimer, which, if you get your md and jd, you will understand, and will not have as much time to spend venting here because you will be too busy helping those you just referenced, or perhaps you will have enough income to spend time doing what you like instead of resenting everyone else who does.

This disclaimer refutes your comments about someone who may be worse off than someone in Chile.
anonymous

Warwick, RI

#19 Aug 31, 2010
And since when does compassionate argument for the rights and humane quality of life of those who need our help equal the poverty or homelessness of the person making the statement? And, if one is homeless, does this make their claims less relevant, regarding being grateful? Our homes are big enough to house your gripes and all those who gripe around you, but having money, enough to type on any computer anywhere, does not preclude a person from also having compassion. While true that those who have compassion are often those who understand suffering, but understanding suffering is a universal capability regardless of income (or status, and since you do not know to whom you speak, you may require their assistance someday, and I hope for you that you get it, should that arise.)

You'd have a wonderful time getting your jd, arguing your points. Perhaps a new career is on the horizon for you. I recommend this venue as a place to discuss your opinions, full of all sorts of people some compassionate, some brutal. Remember though, choose wisely, the higher up the ladder you go when you apply to school Down And Out Dude, my friend, the better your income when you get your first job, and then you can ask professors and law makers (perhaps people like me) to write you a letter of recommendation.
Cut off in Ross

Mill Valley, CA

#20 Aug 31, 2010
"Councilman Scot Hunter said he has become a more regular customer of Ross Grocery, better known as Eddie's.

"They have seen a huge dropoff since the bridge was knocked down," he said. "I think Step 1 we have to do is be sure people put two and two together and realize that if you can't get across the bridge that means fewer people downtown and less business for the merchants there."

DUH Scot! Maybe if you and the rest of the Council members in place when this was planned had actually spent some time thinking about it you would have realized how important it was to have at least a pedestrian/bike path available to the residents. Instead you spent all your time spending our tax payer dollars on the downtown beautification plan designed by Councilman's Rick Strauss' wife!! Not to mention the outrageous salary of Gary Broad, one of the highest paid Town Managers in all of Marin for a town with 750 homes! 5 months to build a 50 foot bridge is outrageous. Next time take page from the school's book, that project came in on time and under budget.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ross Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Marin Clean Energy to cut electricity rates abo... Sun Solarman 1
Deport Poor & Problems Jun 21 Trumpleman Dollarz 1
Elevator Sex Classes Start Jun 16 Top Floor 1
Trump Tiburon Rally Planned Jun 11 socio lane 1
Chose Yr Own Judge Gaining Jun 6 TRUMPTRUMPTRUMP 1
Fundamentalist Christian Sharia Coming Jun 2 trumperstrumpers 1
News Ellen: Kids are not in star couple's future, El... (Mar '15) Apr '15 Ted Cruze 11
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ross Mortgages