Historic: 8-year-old Reilly Johnson crosses the finish line first i...

Full story: Marin Independent Journal

Everyone knew the 100th running of the Dipsea Race would be special. Few could have guessed that an 8-year-old girl would steal the show.
Comments
61 - 66 of 66 Comments Last updated Jul 28, 2010
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Oaktown

Mill Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2010

So mcManus just got his ass kicked by an 8 year old girl???
Snark Attaci

Hyattsville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2010

Antiphon wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry my friend, but that is always the way the world has worked.
As for the issue with horses, people have been hiking and horseback riding on Tam long before there were mountain bikes and there are more then 40 I can assure you.
Still, just because more people ride bikes does not mean they get to overrun, overrule and trample on the minority. That is what a democracy is about. Like I said, I grew up riding on Tam on my bike before it was banned. Yes it was a lot of fun. I would go out for hours and never see a soul. Now we are inundated. It is an overuse thing. If it were up to me, I would make it a permit thing were you had to have a permit to ride and only so many permits were granted every year. And of course locals would get first crack at it. Then the money could be spent on safety, trail maintenance, etc. I am not sure how well that would work, but hey it works with fishing and hunting so I guess it would be worth a try.
For you other posters, spare me the anti-bike crap. I am not anti-bike, just a realist who has seen too many **** ruin it for everyone else. Same as it has always been. And oh, lets not forget all the lawyers. I am wondering whom they would sue if mountain biking was allowed on MMWD or State Park trails? MMWD and the State Park being the deepest pockets of course!
Remember when most of Marin used to be funky and laid back like Fairfax? It was a little backwater place. Now it is major attitude central. I do miss the old days when people actually did their own yardwork, kids walked to school and the most expensive store in town was the Emporium up in Terra Linda.
If this was about democracy then the majority would rule. It is funny that you claim to not be anit-bike but then go on to make statements like "overrun, overrule and trample".

By the way there are lots of state parks with legal single track trails. There are even legal singletrack trails on the mountain and PRNS if you know where to look. Have you ever heard of China Camp? Lots of legal single track there. It is only the MMWD that keeps these antiquated rules that were a knee jerk reaction the scare tactics of the likes of Terri and Mike Vandeman.

Trail riding is much safer than riding fire roads. The width of the trails do not allow the unsafe speeds like fireroads do.
Winner

Los Gatos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2010

Withnail wrote:
<quoted text>
Not jealous at all. When I was 8 years old I was navigating a 25 foot sailboat from SoCal to Catalina Island. I was also an accomplished swimmer and sports fisher. However, I was not running 7.5 miles in a crowd of adults. It seems like a mighty long way to run for a young developing body. I can see walking and hiking it a la the way kids used to do back in the day. And you're 100% right, I am judgmental, but so are you. That is, after all, why we post here. So get over yourself. This is a place of opinions.
Even though I responded in the second person I wasn't directing my comments only to you. I'm responding to all of naysayers. I don't know you from Adam.
I'm judgmental but I don't impose my personal beliefs onto other people. I don't believe in abortion but I'll never vote to ban abortion. It's one thing to have values for yourself and it's another entirely to force them on others. I'm fine with people stating their opinions as long as they don't create rules and laws that diminish others quality of life.
gingin

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2010

Reilly is a hero to all those youngster who sit and/or play indoor computer games or simply find outdoor activity needless.
Her action merely says...go outside , walk, run or skip! Just go outside into the fresh air and participate in outside activities. You don't need to be a marathoner to know the benefits of exercise. Reilly is a true example of youth fitness. She is strong and filled with inner energy. Long live the Dipsea and the example the race sets for ALL ages . GO REILLY!!!
gingin

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2010

Reilly runs like the wind...it is her gift. For all who have negative thoughts or comments...take a deep breath and believe in our youth! Perhaps they have something to show us and for us to believe in.........
Whatever to M Bikers

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2010

Snark Attaci wrote:
<quoted text>
If this was about democracy then the majority would rule. It is funny that you claim to not be anit-bike but then go on to make statements like "overrun, overrule and trample".
By the way there are lots of state parks with legal single track trails. There are even legal singletrack trails on the mountain and PRNS if you know where to look. Have you ever heard of China Camp? Lots of legal single track there. It is only the MMWD that keeps these antiquated rules that were a knee jerk reaction the scare tactics of the likes of Terri and Mike Vandeman.
Trail riding is much safer than riding fire roads. The width of the trails do not allow the unsafe speeds like fireroads do.
Much safer? Really, single track riding. Clearly you have never been running up the Yolanda trail and met a mountain biker peeling down the far side.
Yes I have heard of China Camp you turkey. Who do you think built the trails? Me and my crew when I was in the Youth Conservation Corps.
I do not think it is a knee jerk reaction. Sorry, people are jerks and a few spoil it for the rest. Why do you think safe and sane fireworks are now illegal. 1000.00 fine for sparklers? Really?
Oh and what about the illegal trails? Even in places where single track riding is legal, mountain bikers are putting in illegal jumps, tearing up the terrain and adding more trails. I remember one guy saying "more trails deeper into the woods so I can go more places"..Really? Seriously? Haven't we all screwed up the environment enough?
Spare me the "poor mountain bikers" issue or we are the majority so we win. Doh! What a bunch of stupidness. Come back when you can be more meaningful.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Ross News Video

•••
•••

Ross Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Ross People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE