Marin voters face taxing ballot: 21 m...

Marin voters face taxing ballot: 21 measures

There are 36 comments on the Marin Independent Journal story from Aug 15, 2010, titled Marin voters face taxing ballot: 21 measures. In it, Marin Independent Journal reports that:

That hand in your pocket could be from a local official reaching for your wallet.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Marin Independent Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Leo

Mill Valley, CA

#1 Aug 15, 2010
Wait a minute, so what happens if both S and T are passed? I want to see a better description of S. I know it's a Trojan Horse and I'd like to see why. This deceptive initiative guarantees I'll vote against all MMWD incumbents, too.

All these taxes are just getting out of control. I don't see a single initiative to cut high end government or contractor salaries, and I don't see any progressive taxes - just regressive taxes and straight up fees. Not happening.
Only in Marin

San Rafael, CA

#2 Aug 15, 2010
Vote NO to all tax measures and send them a clear message "we are broke" and are sick and tired of new taxes.
Fed Up

San Francisco, CA

#3 Aug 15, 2010
Many of these measures are to maintain paramedic taxes in various cities and unincorporated areas, currently at $42.50/parcel with an increase in the 4th year to $51/parcel. Throughout central marin, these services appear to carry the same price tag per home. However, the proposed tax (for the same paramedic services) in San Rafael is over $100/home. Why can't the county consolidate these paramedic districts, with ONE price? Why is the cost per parcel so much higher in San Rafael? Does each area have it's own infrastructure, and if so, how much money could be saved by consolidating the districts?
Tamaari

Novato, CA

#4 Aug 16, 2010
I am curious on just how much of measure B funds will end up in the SMART bank account before all is said and done, and how much longer before they come begging for more...
Robert

San Rafael, CA

#5 Aug 16, 2010
Of course San Rafael has more paramedic costs. It has decided to be a sanctuary city for illegal aliens. They are the prostitutes, drug pushers and gang members in the Canal and are always getting injured, stabbed, murdered etc etc.

Plus San Rafael is the dumping ground for every mental case and rehab residential unit in the County. Druggies mostly. They overdose a lot. They get into fights. They get inebriated. Time to share the "wealth"

VOTE NO ON EVERYTHING. Consolidate all the fire departments and paramedic units. Larkspur/Corte Madera set a good example.

We need three at most districts.

Combine them all and get rid of the supervisors pushing paper.
Citizen Taxpayer

AOL

#6 Aug 16, 2010
No! It's just peeing into the wind of bankruptcy.
MUTA Rep

San Francisco, CA

#7 Aug 16, 2010
Good thing we were running out of letters. The cyrillic alphabet has 33.
jesse

Novato, CA

#8 Aug 16, 2010
your local governments budget is running in the past, remmeber just awhile ago, when everythng was looking good, what was happening? money being made, money being spent, these expendetures of money, particularly in the construction field, drove APPORTIONED TAXATION thru the roof, this is the tax money that pays for this "stuff" you want and supposedly need, the property, gas,sales, fee's etc that were all being pumped up...but then the whammo' central banker deppresion laid on you, sqauahes the apportioned tax, and what do you have left?... a local government that is running in a "deprresion now" based on a budget of "happy flappers doing the charelston"....in the long run, those of you with any intellegence will see the writing on the wall...there is only one way out of this...there is only one solution to the problem....you must retake your country and put the central banks down, you must return the printing to the treasury with no debt attached...only then will you have the extra money to pay apportioned taxes...you can't afford it now because your income tax is so high...I urge you to understand the scam
Kevin

United States

#10 Aug 16, 2010
Vote Yes on all paramedic measures.
Its coming

San Francisco, CA

#11 Aug 16, 2010
Why don't we all just have our pay checks deposited in the countys bank account.
Then they will take care of us.
Keith

Morgan Hill, CA

#12 Aug 16, 2010
No on everything. I'm willing to bet there won't be any suffering on the end of the public if these fail and the cutbacks go into effect. If there is then we can put these taxes back on the ballot and, hey, they'll have wide support!
Jeffrey

San Rafael, CA

#13 Aug 16, 2010
Before any new taxes are levied or approved stop wasting tax money on things that are already disallowed:

English is the official language of California government, why are more public signs being bought that are in Spanish? Why is money spent on Spanish language books for a transient population in the Canal Zone that got a brand new taxpayer funded public library yet who refuse to participate in American institutions like English, Citizenship and following our quaint local customs?
Why are we paying in San Rafael for Spanish, Creole, Thai, Hmong, Chinese interpreters in public schools?
Why are we paying to install curb cuts and gratuitously rebuild public facilities for one financial parasite that makes his living off suing municipalities and demanding that they comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act? Meanwhile, city government spends even more on going out of their way to not comply with federal immigration law?

Vote No on S, it stands for "Sham." It's the vote sapping effort by the pro development, MMWD board members to fight the proven will of 18,000 southern Marin citizens who signed a petition to put T for "Truth" on the ballot.

Desalination equals development and thus even higher taxes for the additional infrastructure that desalination fueled growth will require.

Time to get informed and stop voting "yes" on every tax that comes your way.
Pay careful attention

Richmond, CA

#14 Aug 16, 2010
You can't just vote all yes or all no on measures. Each must be weighed on its own merit. In Ross Valley, if you vote no on the bond measure you are forcing class sizes into 30+ kids per classroom. The enrollment growth there has led to this need. The schools have already taken serious funding hits from the state, and have already made significant cut-backs to program (over 1 million in the past few years.) These bond funds can only be spent on buildings, but they are critical RIGHT NOW. It takes 2-3 to complete classrooms, and if this measure fails they can't put another ballot measure on the ballot for a year. The only realistic way schools can fund classrooms is through bonds. If the money is taken from the operating funds there wouldn't be money left for the teachers to teach in the new classrooms.
Pay careful attention

Richmond, CA

#15 Aug 16, 2010
I meant to write "2-3 years" to complete classrooms.
Citizen Taxpayer

AOL

#16 Aug 16, 2010
Pay careful attention wrote:
You can't just vote all yes or all no on measures. Each must be weighed on its own merit. In Ross Valley, if you vote no on the bond measure you are forcing class sizes into 30+ kids per classroom. The enrollment growth there has led to this need. The schools have already taken serious funding hits from the state, and have already made significant cut-backs to program (over 1 million in the past few years.) These bond funds can only be spent on buildings, but they are critical RIGHT NOW. It takes 2-3 to complete classrooms, and if this measure fails they can't put another ballot measure on the ballot for a year. The only realistic way schools can fund classrooms is through bonds. If the money is taken from the operating funds there wouldn't be money left for the teachers to teach in the new classrooms.
We are paying attention. To the teachers union protecting lousy teachers. To the liberals spending our tax dollars on providing schools, hospitals, housing and jail space for illegals. It is finally time for a halt to all tax increases and across the board cuts in spending. Tax payers get it and are paying attention.
More Than Meets The Eye

San Rafael, CA

#17 Aug 16, 2010
I just looked at my car registration renewal form from earlier this year. There is already a "$10 fee listed "County/District Fee". Now they want another $10 fee. Folks! Check your car registration fee amounts..........my fee went from $426 per year to over $600 per year.
Tax the Depressed

San Rafael, CA

#18 Aug 16, 2010
Just say "NO" on all the ballot measures. How many people do you know who have been laid off, are facing foreclosure or have had a 10% pay cut during the recession.

These government political hacks working for the Union are trying to sneak in tax increases to save their six figure salarys with huge benefits and 90% retirements. Do you have such a deal at your work?

For example, Paramedics make $115-$125k per year and will get to retire early with over 90k per year salary not including a huge array of extra benefits. Government workers on average make 30% MORE than us. Voting for these taxes simply takes money out of yours and makes them Richer.

Marinwood Paramedic tax Measure Q is a clever way to boost Marinwood Fire Department salaries by 25% with the merger of San Rafael Fire Department.

What are YOU getting?

Will you be able to stay in your home when the Tax Burden becomes to great?

Send a message. "NO" on all tax measures.
michael venables

Mill Valley, CA

#19 Aug 16, 2010
Jeffrey wrote:
Before any new taxes are levied or approved stop wasting tax money on things that are already disallowed:
English is the official language of California government, why are more public signs being bought that are in Spanish? Why is money spent on Spanish language books for a transient population in the Canal Zone that got a brand new taxpayer funded public library yet who refuse to participate in American institutions like English, Citizenship and following our quaint local customs?
Why are we paying in San Rafael for Spanish, Creole, Thai, Hmong, Chinese interpreters in public schools?
Why are we paying to install curb cuts and gratuitously rebuild public facilities for one financial parasite that makes his living off suing municipalities and demanding that they comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act? Meanwhile, city government spends even more on going out of their way to not comply with federal immigration law?
Vote No on S, it stands for "Sham." It's the vote sapping effort by the pro development, MMWD board members to fight the proven will of 18,000 southern Marin citizens who signed a petition to put T for "Truth" on the ballot.
Desalination equals development and thus even higher taxes for the additional infrastructure that desalination fueled growth will require.
Time to get informed and stop voting "yes" on every tax that comes your way.
It's called the Canal, or the Canal area. The Canal Zone used to be in Panama, when we ran the Panama canal.
Malik

Novato, CA

#20 Aug 16, 2010
NO!!!!!!!!!!

There are too many unionized gov't parasites - they are overpaid and their bloated pensions are obscene. CUT SERVICES AND FIRE HALF OF THEM.
Louise L Mathews

Mill Valley, CA

#21 Aug 16, 2010
My personal posters rail against MMWD's tactic to overwhelm the public's right to have an efefctive vote regarding desalination will include:

1:

Remember your ALPHABET
Measure S = NO
Measure T = YES

(this simple voter/consumer strategy to avoid MMWD's ballot trap)

2nd poster:

S
T
O pportunity
P rocess

Vote NO on Measure S

llm

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ross Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Marin bench loses another judge to retirement (Jan '10) Nov 19 RICKY RAT 38
Trump Moves to Marin City? Oct '16 mammy stinx 1
News Co-owner of bar in Oakdale murdered (Jul '06) Oct '16 Not Shady 3
Trump Autographed Diapers? Oct '16 Trumplingite 1
Nude Swimming Pool Opens (Apr '16) Oct '16 Hopkin 4
Tranny's Reject Pizza? Oct '16 The wurd 1
News Ellen: Kids are not in star couple's future, El... (Mar '15) Apr '15 Ted Cruze 11

Ross Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ross Mortgages