Candidates queue up to run for Marin ...

Candidates queue up to run for Marin Municipal Water board

There are 23 comments on the Marin Independent Journal story from Aug 3, 2010, titled Candidates queue up to run for Marin Municipal Water board. In it, Marin Independent Journal reports that:

Six people have taken out papers or filed to run for one of the four seats on the Marin Municipal Water District board that are in play for the Nov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Marin Independent Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Fairfax lifer

San Francisco, CA

#1 Aug 3, 2010
Frank Egger??? Are you kidding me??? This retread? Frank, get a life. Wasn't getting voted off the Fairfax council enough humiliation for you?
Dexter

San Rafael, CA

#2 Aug 3, 2010
All we want to know is....
Pro desal or against.
calfire

United States

#3 Aug 3, 2010
Frank Egger=WHACK JOB
Bill

United States

#4 Aug 3, 2010
Prediction: Gibson will lose; it's time. Behar will lose cause he's pro desal, but it won't be Egger. Armando will win cause he's new anyway. Cynthia will retain her seat; Mcentee and Rose, are you kidding?
Cleve Martin

Oakland, CA

#5 Aug 3, 2010
Gibson, lose to Peter Lacques? Hard to imagine. After all, Lacques can barely put two sentences together. Not to mention that he is from a fringe element in Fairfax - hardly the kind of guy to win votes in Terra Linda and Sleepy Hollow.

And Behar has it all locked up, if the best the desal naysayers can muster is Egger. J. Stuart Ryan seems to be one of those well-heeled investor types who thinks that all public employees should be reduced to indentured servitude.

Sorry, Bill, you're out of touch.
Howard

San Rafael, CA

#6 Aug 3, 2010
Larry Rose was a Cal-Osha senior scientist. I'll put my faith in him before some pro-development clone.

Frank Egger is a smart attorney who has done wonders preventing Marin from being sprayed from the air with the Light Brown Apple Moth pesticide that caused only 450 people to seek medical attention in Santa Cruz County.

Desalination=development. If it's built, all MMWD ratepayers will be charged for the benefit of the new developers. Surplus water if any, will be sold to Sonoma County developers.
Howard

San Rafael, CA

#7 Aug 3, 2010
calfire wrote:
Frank Egger=WHACK JOB
He ran a successful business, was elected mayor and councilman and has saved Marin from aerial spraying.

What have you done calfire? Are you one of the pro-tax and spend liberals that want to blow $400 million of ratepayers' money on another union stuffing contract for the benefit of yet more outsiders building large developments?
San Rafael

Mill Valley, CA

#8 Aug 4, 2010
Didn't Egger run before. Being mayor of Fairfax is hardly a qualification for being in charge of our future water supply.
As far as desal if this past winter was dry we would be on 50% or greater rationing, yards would all be dead and we could be paying for another pipeline across the Richmond / SR bridge. Still remember the "if it's yellow let it mellow" days and we need a plan B for an extended drought. Other than desal what choices are there for a three plus year drought?
No whack jobs need apply
Chris

San Rafael, CA

#10 Aug 4, 2010
San Rafael wrote:
Didn't Egger run before. Being mayor of Fairfax is hardly a qualification for being in charge of our future water supply.
As far as desal if this past winter was dry we would be on 50% or greater rationing, yards would all be dead and we could be paying for another pipeline across the Richmond / SR bridge. Still remember the "if it's yellow let it mellow" days and we need a plan B for an extended drought. Other than desal what choices are there for a three plus year drought?
No whack jobs need apply
The Desal plant would take years to build, would not provide Marin with enough water per your fake scenario, and would facilitate the building of many new developments that would use whatever 'extra' water that it provided. Why not let the developers that want new projects pay for 100% of the cost of desal? Their water supply would come exclusively from the desal plant that they funded and the rest of us wouldn't have to be taxed to pay for private speculation. Plus that would keep the pro-development shills like you from haranguing us with your tinfoil hat doomsday scenarios.
in other news

San Rafael, CA

#11 Aug 4, 2010
article from a couple days ago is about the water/ddt that they want to remove the salt from and serve to us at a very high premium (both fiscally and otherwise) http://www.ktvu.com/news/24264572/detail.html
James C

Mill Valley, CA

#12 Aug 4, 2010
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
The Desal plant would take years to build, would not provide Marin with enough water per your fake scenario, and would facilitate the building of many new developments that would use whatever 'extra' water that it provided. Why not let the developers that want new projects pay for 100% of the cost of desal? Their water supply would come exclusively from the desal plant that they funded and the rest of us wouldn't have to be taxed to pay for private speculation. Plus that would keep the pro-development shills like you from haranguing us with your tinfoil hat doomsday scenarios.
Your post doesn't make sense. On the one hand, you say the desal plant would not provide enough water for existing customers, and on the other hand you say the plant is only for new development. It can't be both, unless you operate in some other world of logic than the rest of us on planet Earth. The fact is that desalination is the only reliable source for current customers - the reservoirs were essentially empty in 1977, and Marin was saved only by the water coming across the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge. That option does not exist any more.

And with respect to this election, what difference does it make? The current Board put desalination on hold, due to lower water usage and the lack of need for the plant. So they have already done what the naysayers want, for the reasons that they advocate.
Reservoirs

San Rafael, CA

#13 Aug 4, 2010
Soulajule was built after 76-77. MMWD needs to connect it to distribution system. That would be kind of helpful. Kent was expanded. Increased storage by itself= annual water use. Your opinion is based on outdated facts.
James C wrote:
<quoted text>
Your post doesn't make sense. On the one hand, you say the desal plant would not provide enough water for existing customers, and on the other hand you say the plant is only for new development. It can't be both, unless you operate in some other world of logic than the rest of us on planet Earth. The fact is that desalination is the only reliable source for current customers - the reservoirs were essentially empty in 1977, and Marin was saved only by the water coming across the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge. That option does not exist any more.
And with respect to this election, what difference does it make? The current Board put desalination on hold, due to lower water usage and the lack of need for the plant. So they have already done what the naysayers want, for the reasons that they advocate.
Spider

San Rafael, CA

#14 Aug 4, 2010
James C wrote:
The fact is that desalination is the only reliable...
That is not a fact, in fact it is fiction.

Desalination is not an answer to a water crisis: http://www.ocregister.com/news/water-203769-d...

Desalting our bay is maniacal, especially since we have a sustainable water supply. Another fact is that the water quality of our Bay is a known. It is riddled with superfund sites and our cities run off. Despite end to direct piping of sewage, pollution worse now than 30 years ago: http://articles.sfgate.com/1999-08-02/news/17...
James C

Mill Valley, CA

#15 Aug 4, 2010
Soulajule is connected to MMWD's system, and is part of their planning scenario for a drought. Kent was expanded and every drop that was stored now goes downstream for the fish. You appear to be the one short of facts here, Reservoirs.

And Spider, you ought to read the data about SF Bay water quality. Both the Bay Institute and the Estuary Institute note that the major problems with contamination in the Bay are sediments (PCBs and mercury) which bioccumulate in the food chain and not the water, and invasive species. Bay water quality has improved markedly in the past 40 years, since the raw sewage discharges of the time have been halted.

http://www.sfei.org/

http://www.bay.org/

“Stop Desal & SMART!”

Since: Mar 09

San Rafael

#16 Aug 4, 2010
I will vote for anyone who is not an MMWD incumbent, and in the case of multiple challengers I will vote for the strongest anti-desalination candidate.

Those posters attacking (the potential) candidates without using their own real names are the worst kind of internet cowards. Their name-calling is predictable and has zero credibility.

Running for office against an incumbent is no easy task. I salute those who are up to the challenge this year.
E Howard

Mill Valley, CA

#17 Aug 4, 2010
Howard wrote:
Larry Rose was a Cal-Osha senior scientist. I'll put my faith in him before some pro-development clone.
Frank Egger is a smart attorney who has done wonders preventing Marin from being sprayed from the air with the Light Brown Apple Moth pesticide that caused only 450 people to seek medical attention in Santa Cruz County.
Desalination=development. If it's built, all MMWD ratepayers will be charged for the benefit of the new developers. Surplus water if any, will be sold to Sonoma County developers.
smart=development
FatFreddysCat

Tracy, CA

#18 Aug 4, 2010
Oh yes, that's what we need, a GOP operative running our water system. I better call Alhambra, get some bottles delivered to my house, before the tap dries up.
===
>who was recently voted out as chairwoman of the Marin Republican Party
FatFreddysCat

Tracy, CA

#19 Aug 4, 2010
Bay water is an absolute cesspool of industrial contaminants, sewage runoff, mercury from old mines, etc, etc. You'd be hard pressed to find a worse place to pull water from for a desalination plant. Saying it's better is like saying "oh, we only have half as much poison in the water as we used to". If you want cleaner water to start with, you need to run a pipe to the ocean.
-"Keeping it real".
James C wrote:
Soulajule is connected to MMWD's system, and is part of their planning scenario for a drought. Kent was expanded and every drop that was stored now goes downstream for the fish. You appear to be the one short of facts here, Reservoirs.
And Spider, you ought to read the data about SF Bay water quality. Both the Bay Institute and the Estuary Institute note that the major problems with contamination in the Bay are sediments (PCBs and mercury) which bioccumulate in the food chain and not the water, and invasive species. Bay water quality has improved markedly in the past 40 years, since the raw sewage discharges of the time have been halted.
http://www.sfei.org/
http://www.bay.org/
Denise Beck

Kelseyville, CA

#20 Aug 4, 2010
I have read that Frank Egger is a co-founder of Friends of the Eel River and has been fighting to save the Russian and Eel Rivers for four decades. He works for salmon restoration and is a board member for a rivers group protecting rivers in the North Coast. He also led a successful effort to stop the state from aerially spraying Marin and the SF Bay Area with pesticides for the Light Brown Apple Moth--I know this because I worked with Stop the Spray Marin. Frank does all of this environmental work as a volunteer and has not paid a dime. This is the kind of water board member we need--someone not in it for the money.
Spider

San Rafael, CA

#21 Aug 4, 2010
James C wrote:
Bay water quality has improved...
More fiction. Fact is, the water quality of our Bay is a known (pollution is actually worse now than 30 years ago). It is riddled with superfund sites and includes everything from DDT to pharmaceuticals both in the fish and the water. It also contains our cities run off and a lot of sewage overflow each and every winter.

You can obviously play with your childish sit and spin, but I must say James C, that it is a rather off putting sight to behold so please put it to rest.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ross Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ivonkla Approves Russian Phrase Book 11 hr Fearless Leader D... 1
News Tiburon police intercept trio after burglary at... Jan 20 moms trailer spac... 6
News Levine: Schools should teach children about Rus... Jan 19 Jaimie 3
Sausalito to get Tanks & Armor? Jan 6 Security Desk DT 1
Review: Mattaniah Eytan Law Offices (Jun '10) Dec 27 rob5060 2
Senior Drunx Use Walkers as Toilets Dec 25 joan crawford s bush 1
Flavor Fav to run Medicare? Dec '16 vah gyna nooozy 1

Ross Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ross Mortgages