Cuomo to host hearings today on doubl...

Cuomo to host hearings today on double-dipping

There are 50 comments on the Newsday story from May 22, 2008, titled Cuomo to host hearings today on double-dipping. In it, Newsday reports that:

BY SANDRA PEDDIE AND EDEN LAIKIN, [email protected]; [email protected]; Staff writer Chau Lam contributed to this story.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Not Compassionate

Stony Brook, NY

#42 May 23, 2008
joe wrote:
easy solution..when you go back to work, pension stops till you "retire" again.......pretty obvious solution
I love this one!!! Makes the very very most sense!!!
give me a break

United States

#43 May 23, 2008
Cuomo's meeting yesterday, was a great attempt at the truth. Is anything going to change? Doubt it! We need to start at the top of the broken educational chain and flow downward-
Let us start with Mills-he was the one who okayed these waivers when the retired supers were already working-if you look at Cuomo exhibits from yesterday-these scuzzy double dippers had the boards of eds apply after they were already employed-
I say all pension monies received while double dipping should be repaid-pension is monies for retirement, not to receive along with salaries. These superintendents think they are untouchable, Mr. Cuomo, please, please show them that when you break the law you go to jail! Wouldn't that be an excellent lesson/example to show our children? Our schools of today are being run by criminals! LET US STOP IT!!!!
board of corrupt ed

United States

#44 May 23, 2008
Anyone following the double dippers story-note this common thread. Mills okays these bogus "waivers" and "Mapes", BOCES superintendent, who reports directly to Mills and who is the fox watching the hen house of supers in Nassau County, BOCES is also the biggest double dippers to rehire their retiries. Bottom line it's one big scam, were they get to screw the taxpayers!!
Pfluger the Union Monkey

Needham, MA

#45 May 23, 2008
treciama wrote:
<quoted text>
You guess right! The kind of smarmy, secretive, insider, mutually-enabling, master-of-the-universe, self-congratulatory scheming we see in the education system "long con" is definitely in the "makes my eyes bleed and head explode" category. I realize it's a stretch given political realities, but I think the case could be made without too much difficulty that these guys are actual criminals--no "essentially" qualifier needed.
The souless and shameless use of children as human shields to front for their greed makes me want to believe in hell.(See---gotta go for a stupid laugh even at the worst times.)
btw-I decided to check my reactions and did some quick research on the posting history of the "discontented" on related items- seem clearly tied to the inside and always opposing any real reform. Such a surprise.
Assuming you would agree to the most absolute separation of Church and State, I'd vote for you for President, too!(See---going for another cheap yuk.) Didn't you say others have tried to get you in the political areana? Hmmmm.
See ya round the campfire!
Have a great weekend Tre.

I could never run for office because I speak my mind, which cheeses people off, and the necessary union monkey support to elect me would not be forthcoming, I don't think. ;-)

BTW: beware of Trojan Horse attacks. I "mysteriously" came under numerous computer hack attempts last night. Gee, I wonder why that suddenly started happening.

Fortunately, I have a kid whos a computer whiz, and not a union monkey, and have various firewalls besides the standard McAfee stuff.
So, Union Monkeys, hack away! Or, come visit me in person. Live free or die is our state's motto, and I take that quite literally.
treciama

Middletown, DE

#46 May 23, 2008
Pfluger the Union Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
Have a great weekend Tre.
I could never run for office because I speak my mind, which cheeses people off, and the necessary union monkey support to elect me would not be forthcoming, I don't think. ;-)
BTW: beware of Trojan Horse attacks. I "mysteriously" came under numerous computer hack attempts last night. Gee, I wonder why that suddenly started happening.
Fortunately, I have a kid whos a computer whiz, and not a union monkey, and have various firewalls besides the standard McAfee stuff.
So, Union Monkeys, hack away! Or, come visit me in person. Live free or die is our state's motto, and I take that quite literally.
Wow, great Dad with a kid sporting actual, useful skills and able to maintain an independent spirit and mind?? Who said the American dream was no longer achievable!!

The only computer silliness I'm seeing is the "Judge It" game which I noticed after our buddy referred to it-- guess some of the bored or reticent are playing but I appreciate the warning.

I understand the barrier to politics-- have a bit of the "hold my tongue" challenge myself. The entries on my "need to improve list" always have lots of lively company!

Happy Memorial Day...enjoy! ;-)
Pfluger the Union Monkey

Needham, MA

#47 May 23, 2008
treciama wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, great Dad with a kid sporting actual, useful skills and able to maintain an independent spirit and mind?? Who said the American dream was no longer achievable!!
The only computer silliness I'm seeing is the "Judge It" game which I noticed after our buddy referred to it-- guess some of the bored or reticent are playing but I appreciate the warning.
I understand the barrier to politics-- have a bit of the "hold my tongue" challenge myself. The entries on my "need to improve list" always have lots of lively company!
Happy Memorial Day...enjoy! ;-)
My oldest received a solid high school education in Half Hollow Hills District. Which allowed him to receive a scholarship at an excellent private university.

Unfortunately, K-12 costs about 50% more than it should, but I can't deny that HHH is a good district. I now live in an equally good district, and my taxes (property and whatever small state taxes I pay -- no sales or income tax here) are about one-third of what they were on LI.
Pfluger the Union Monkey

Needham, MA

#48 May 23, 2008
Well, whaddya know. More press coverage by main stream outlets. Union Monkeys -- rather than attacking me, try responding to the articles I've posted.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/19/pf/retirement...
treciama

Middletown, DE

#49 May 23, 2008
Pfluger the Union Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
My oldest received a solid high school education in Half Hollow Hills District. Which allowed him to receive a scholarship at an excellent private university.
Unfortunately, K-12 costs about 50% more than it should, but I can't deny that HHH is a good district. I now live in an equally good district, and my taxes (property and whatever small state taxes I pay -- no sales or income tax here) are about one-third of what they were on LI.
After Garden City HS, I was lucky enough to have folks that humored me thru private univ/grad stuff. At my time, I think pretty much all the scholarships were need-based but not too sure. A story is passed from an older sibling who looked at college stuff with my father who took one look at requested financial info forms and said "No way I'm giving that much personal info to ANYONE!" Sure were different times! It makes me heartsick to think of all the kids that come out with mountains of debt after their degree(s) these days.

I don't really independently know how good my school district is tho' it is supposed to be good--but it's Delaware so not too sure what that means. Prop taxes are low (about 15% of what I'd pay in NY), no sales tax and income tax not too bad --prob not much worse than NH given the "unearned" aspect--(let's just punish savings, right?) I try to watch for bad tax trends here--and there is gonna be some trouble given the economy, etc., but when I want to tease those left behind, I just worry aloud about my tax increase by saying "Where WILL I find the extra $100! Just picture the looks I get.

It's just good to be free of the clutches of that money-sucking greed machine. I wonder-- if it makes me ill to read the scam and fraud stories from here-- how on earth could I have coped if my feet were still in that quicksand?? Too scary.

Well, I'm off to prep the BBQ... have fun!

p.s. I'm assuming you knew my respect for the computer skills didn't come with any assumptions about larger capabilities....I just love know-how, of all kinds!

Moms

Stony Brook, NY

#50 May 23, 2008
Cathy wrote:
The state has to stop giving these exemptions or require additional information to be provide such as how many people have applied for the job and for the school district to explain why no one else is qualified. Once better checks and balances are in place I am sure many of these retirees would be rejected.
How they get away with it....let's see, it's how they post the job. They make it specific to the person they want in the position. Then come time for checking off the qualifications, all legal mind you now, if you don't make the qualifications listed in the position description, your resume gets tossed.
treciama

Middletown, DE

#51 Jun 3, 2008
Testing an "offline" reply to Wilhelm.

Too much fun. Thanks for the white knight intercession.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roslyn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nassau County Court and Family Court judges (Nov '08) 32 min Mother 80
News Security Cameras On Tap for Upscale Village Nea... 13 hr ksnow 1
News Ben Affleck and the debate for Reparation conti... (Apr '15) 15 hr Mexican Lottery W... 27
women would you castrate you husbands? (Oct '14) 20 hr James 20
Lives and All That Matters Sun Vincent John Ward 1
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Bayside (Dec '13) Sat chrisc2016 53
News Clinton vs Trump: battle of the New Yorkers Sat Deport Trump 43

Roslyn Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Roslyn Mortgages