Task force targets Suffolk's high hea...

Task force targets Suffolk's high heart-disease death rate

There are 27 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Task force targets Suffolk's high heart-disease death rate. In it, Newsday reports that:

Tricia Restucci of East Setauket had a stroke when she was 34. She had a heart attack when she was 38.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Read between the lines”

Since: Mar 07

Lindenhurst, NY

#1 Jun 21, 2008
It's because peoples hearts can't take the strain from looking at their tax bills
Lifestyle factors

Lynbrook, NY

#2 Jun 21, 2008
I hope the task force looks at lifestyle factors. Longer commutes to the city could account for some of the higher heart disease rates in Suffolk. Nassau has more sidewalks (at least on casual observation).

The car is truly king in Suffolk, and that could be a major reason. When I moved from a village where I could walk to everything to a more "car necessary" neighborhood, I felt the effects.
the insider

AOL

#4 Jun 21, 2008
of course it has nothing to do with the fact that 40 percent of the adult population are fat pigs, who cant contol what they shove in thier mouth, or the fact that the only time they get off the couch is to waddle to the fridge, or the fact that they eat in fast food dives 10 times a week, and dont eat anything resembling a healthy food choice, but gee, lets wonder why the death rate is up from heart attacks, I just cant figure it out. beside the population is well over what i should be and heading to a number that this world wont be able to survive, so maybe we all cant live 80 years, some of have to die in our 50's from fat pig itis, I just hope mine is quick as Mr Russert's.
darker

Bronx, NY

#5 Jun 22, 2008
Suffolk' LI has the Highest heart disease rate, is this a "mystery"?
This is COUCH POTATO COUNTRY!
Walking is not encouraged. there are no sidewalks.
Walking on road sides is "high risk" due to speeding drivers.

Suburbia was not designed for "health", perhaps for home equity, which low is in the dumps. Developers were not forced to build sidewalks or parks for people to walk for exercise!

People move to Suffolk into their homes and sit inside watching their TVs in air-conditioning, nobody's outside because of cold or heat, humidity and mosquitos.

Doctors don't need a bizillion dollar study to find out that Couch Potato Country won't change anytime soon.

And heart disease will continue to rise in Suffolk and nearby in SUBURBIA--the longtime creation of developers, auto makers and gasoline industry. Lots of profits for them, lots of heart disease for us!
Observer

Old Bridge, NJ

#6 Jun 22, 2008
Atleast one beurocrat is concerned about the health of common people. Thanks to the efforts of Health Commossioner Dr Choudary.
JMB

New Rochelle, NY

#8 Jun 22, 2008
Instead of looking at the density of hospitals in Suffolk county, the task force should look a the density of McDonalds, Burger Kings and Wendy's restaurants. Early "suggestions" by the task force are naive. Aren't we constantly told that life style (i.e. diet and exercise) is the major factor right after genetics? So, how are people in Suffolk living, eating and exercising? Perhaps a big negative by-product of such an "affluent" society is that we "biggie size" our deep fried life and feel compelled to drive our SUV to the end of the block to drop the kids at the bus stop. Come on. Lets get real!
unreal

Lehighton, PA

#9 Jun 22, 2008
Overweight over taxed over stressed
I moved from li 14 years ago and will never look back to take a look at li from the outside is incredable
I go back and cant beleive i was one of these mean stressed out compeditive people.. I live in a friendly place with very low crime nice people who help each outher small schools low taxes no traffic and a simple life with low stress.The LI i grew up in is long gone, Its a place i no longer know or want to know.
pqas34

Lake Worth, FL

#10 Jun 22, 2008
Living On Long Island Is just too stressful .
dom

Salt Lake City, UT

#11 Jun 22, 2008
I think the people answering here have saved the cost of another "study" which will accomplish nothing but waste money.
YAMBAG

Bronx, NY

#12 Jun 22, 2008
If Long Island had a drive through cholesterol check it may save thousands of people.

Since: May 08

United States

#13 Jun 22, 2008
unreal wrote:
Overweight over taxed over stressed
I moved from li 14 years ago and will never look back to take a look at li from the outside is incredable
I go back and cant beleive i was one of these mean stressed out compeditive people.. I live in a friendly place with very low crime nice people who help each outher
small schools low taxes no traffic and a simple life with low stress.The LI i grew up in is long gone, Its a place i no longer know or want to know.
I couldn't agree more! I left Brooklyn in 1979 to move to California, and never looked back. My relatives still live in Holbrook, and are drowning in the high cost of living there. I moved to Spokane, Washington in 1989. We are a "small" big town, population of about 300,000. We have low crime,no traffic, good schools and colleges (University of Washington, Gonzaga Unversity, Washington State, right across the border in Idaho, we have University of Idaho- we have medical schools, Law achools, etc). People look out for their neighbors.

Property taxes are low- I pay $2500 a year for a four level house on a third of an acre of land in one of the best neighborhoods in Spokane.

Our schools are also good. My daughters' high school (Lewis and Clark), once again ranked in the top 100 high schools in the country. Several of the students in my daughter's graduating class won the same science awards and scholarships that the students on Long Island won, at a fraction of the cost of their education. Many of the students take AP classes and receive college credit for them. We have a "Running Start" program, where high school students enroll in college classes at Spokane Community College while still in high school. My friend's daughter earned an Associates Degree while still in high school for free, because it is through the public schools. We have a FREE online K-12 school program here in Washington State. It is taught by licensed teachers, and is fully accredited.

All in all, I have no idea why anyone stays on Long Island or NY, for that matter. Get out while you can, that is my advice. There are lots nicer places to live and raise a family.
MCR

Jamaica, NY

#14 Jun 22, 2008
Uh, can you say "fatso"?
Fat Frankie

Totowa, NJ

#15 Jun 22, 2008
I love Long Island. I eat like a
real pig and love that too.
Up all of your poos.
William

Yonkers, NY

#16 Jun 22, 2008
Maybe instead of spending $1 trillion on Arab ingrates we should spend it curing heart disease.
sam

Port Jefferson Station, NY

#17 Jun 22, 2008
How can so called reasonable, educated grown men say Suffolk County is so affluent and educated as if its a fact that includes most of Suffolk County when in truth this represents just a minority? This is so IGNORANT, NEGLIGENT, and worse maybe willfully so. Most of Suffolk County is NOT affluent. Many, many, many women folk live here as single parents with STRESSFUL, lower-paying jobs.
How does this equate with "affluent"??? Name just a few of our towns here and you just go ahead and drive around and LOOK at them. Selden, Farmingville, Patchogue, Shirley, Coram, Medford, Ronkonkoma, Holtsville, Bayshore, Central Islip, on and on and on... Areas of affluence! Compared to what?...Please wake up and stop misguiding people about this. Tiny incorporated villages like Belle Terre, Nissequogue, Old Field are filthy stinking rich, yes. But not the rest of us which is MOST of us!!! So, how if the "authorities" are expressing delusions about this, are things ever, ever going to improve here??? The most progressive surgical and medical procedures for the heart are developed at St. Francis - "The Heart Hospital" in Roslyn which is in Nassau County. Why on God's earth would a person go anywhere else in Suffolk (for elective procedures) knowing Stony Brook is not the cutting edge of cardiology medicine??? Stony Brook has an E.R. which is very excellent to be sure, but if we're so rich we'd already have our own "St. Francis" right here somewhere. The point is, we're not all that "affluent" or educated. If we were that well educated we wouldn't be claiming how affluent we all are.
JD Hogg

AOL

#18 Jun 22, 2008
sam wrote:
How can so called reasonable, educated grown men say Suffolk County is so affluent and educated as if its a fact that includes most of Suffolk County when in truth this represents just a minority? This is so IGNORANT, NEGLIGENT, and worse maybe willfully so. Most of Suffolk County is NOT affluent. Many, many, many women folk live here as single parents with STRESSFUL, lower-paying jobs.
How does this equate with "affluent"??? Name just a few of our towns here and you just go ahead and drive around and LOOK at them. Selden, Farmingville, Patchogue, Shirley, Coram, Medford, Ronkonkoma, Holtsville, Bayshore, Central Islip, on and on and on... Areas of affluence! Compared to what?...Please wake up and stop misguiding people about this. Tiny incorporated villages like Belle Terre, Nissequogue, Old Field are filthy stinking rich, yes. But not the rest of us which is MOST of us!!! So, how if the "authorities" are expressing delusions about this, are things ever, ever going to improve here??? The most progressive surgical and medical procedures for the heart are developed at St. Francis - "The Heart Hospital" in Roslyn which is in Nassau County. Why on God's earth would a person go anywhere else in Suffolk (for elective procedures) knowing Stony Brook is not the cutting edge of cardiology medicine??? Stony Brook has an E.R. which is very excellent to be sure, but if we're so rich we'd already have our own "St. Francis" right here somewhere. The point is, we're not all that "affluent" or educated. If we were that well educated we wouldn't be claiming how affluent we all are.
But you know your'e hard work and high taxes are appreciated by your police whom live in Old Field, head of the Harbor and Dix Hills.
Maggie

AOL

#19 Jun 22, 2008
sam wrote:
How can so called reasonable, educated grown men say Suffolk County is so affluent and educated as if its a fact that includes most of Suffolk County when in truth this represents just a minority? This is so IGNORANT, NEGLIGENT, and worse maybe willfully so. Most of Suffolk County is NOT affluent. Many, many, many women folk live here as single parents with STRESSFUL, lower-paying jobs.
How does this equate with "affluent"??? Name just a few of our towns here and you just go ahead and drive around and LOOK at them. Selden, Farmingville, Patchogue, Shirley, Coram, Medford, Ronkonkoma, Holtsville, Bayshore, Central Islip, on and on and on... Areas of affluence! Compared to what?...Please wake up and stop misguiding people about this. Tiny incorporated villages like Belle Terre, Nissequogue, Old Field are filthy stinking rich, yes. But not the rest of us which is MOST of us!!! So, how if the "authorities" are expressing delusions about this, are things ever, ever going to improve here??? The most progressive surgical and medical procedures for the heart are developed at St. Francis - "The Heart Hospital" in Roslyn which is in Nassau County. Why on God's earth would a person go anywhere else in Suffolk (for elective procedures) knowing Stony Brook is not the cutting edge of cardiology medicine??? Stony Brook has an E.R. which is very excellent to be sure, but if we're so rich we'd already have our own "St. Francis" right here somewhere. The point is, we're not all that "affluent" or educated. If we were that well educated we wouldn't be claiming how affluent we all are.
Medford is a nice town ,homes are well kept ,however Rte 112 is awful ,all those unsightly signs and Barrons Auto is a disaster.
Levy

AOL

#20 Jun 22, 2008
sam wrote:
How can so called reasonable, educated grown men say Suffolk County is so affluent and educated as if its a fact that includes most of Suffolk County when in truth this represents just a minority? This is so IGNORANT, NEGLIGENT, and worse maybe willfully so. Most of Suffolk County is NOT affluent. Many, many, many women folk live here as single parents with STRESSFUL, lower-paying jobs.
How does this equate with "affluent"??? Name just a few of our towns here and you just go ahead and drive around and LOOK at them. Selden, Farmingville, Patchogue, Shirley, Coram, Medford, Ronkonkoma, Holtsville, Bayshore, Central Islip, on and on and on... Areas of affluence! Compared to what?...Please wake up and stop misguiding people about this. Tiny incorporated villages like Belle Terre, Nissequogue, Old Field are filthy stinking rich, yes. But not the rest of us which is MOST of us!!! So, how if the "authorities" are expressing delusions about this, are things ever, ever going to improve here??? The most progressive surgical and medical procedures for the heart are developed at St. Francis - "The Heart Hospital" in Roslyn which is in Nassau County. Why on God's earth would a person go anywhere else in Suffolk (for elective procedures) knowing Stony Brook is not the cutting edge of cardiology medicine??? Stony Brook has an E.R. which is very excellent to be sure, but if we're so rich we'd already have our own "St. Francis" right here somewhere. The point is, we're not all that "affluent" or educated. If we were that well educated we wouldn't be claiming how affluent we all are.
You are full of nonsense.
Levy

AOL

#21 Jun 22, 2008
Maggie wrote:
<quoted text> Medford is a nice town ,homes are well kept ,however Rte 112 is awful ,all those unsightly signs and Barrons Auto is a disaster.
Barrons Auto Mall may have something to do with heart disease but otherwise I don't see your point .
JMB

New Rochelle, NY

#22 Jun 23, 2008
"Affluent" is a relative term. Compared to most of New York state, the majority of the U.S. and most certainly compared to the rest of the world, Long Island is a very affluent society. One need not be very "intelligent" to understand that. Sorry if you are felling insecure. Get over it and broaden your perspective a little.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roslyn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old Freeport Hospital (Oct '14) 12 hr laz 12
News Police: Man Arrested for Reckless Endangerment ... (Feb '11) 15 hr You are a Douchebag 6
News 4 Levittown brothers accused in $70-million coi... (Nov '08) 18 hr John 428
women would you castrate you husbands? (Oct '14) Sat miss_easyi69 47
Stop Prosectors Abuse Sat Nancy Guttenberg 1
News Nassau County Court and Family Court judges (Nov '08) Mar 24 silly rabbit 96
The aging Rebel the man freaks that date and su... (Jul '10) Mar 24 Kara 49

Roslyn Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Roslyn Mortgages