Nassau cop charged with DWI and assault

Nassau cop charged with DWI and assault

There are 51 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 16, 2008, titled Nassau cop charged with DWI and assault. In it, Newsday reports that:

A Nassau County police officer was arrested Wednesday on charges of driving while intoxicated and third-degree assault in a 2007 accident in Roslyn while he was off-duty, Nassau police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Yet another

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Apr 16, 2008
Fantastic. Another drunken cop who thinks he's above the law. This one wasn't as fortunate to hit a tree. He hit another motorist. Im sure if he wasn't a cop, he would have been shot.
Jen

Bronx, NY

#2 Apr 16, 2008
Way to pad your injuries. Cop was a jerk but no way this woman got that injured when the cop was in a Mini Cooper and she was in a Jeep. Guess she is hoping to see the county and retire. Enough fraud.
Jeff

New York, NY

#3 Apr 16, 2008
Nice
CCRN

Miller Place, NY

#5 Apr 16, 2008
Why would it take a year to arrest him for a DWI in 2007?
Nice move

Farmingdale, NY

#6 Apr 16, 2008
Must be one "great" case if they waited so long to charge him.

As for the poster questioning the other motorists injuries, go to the library and read a physics book and then recant your stupid statement. I bullet is very small, but moving very fast and a human body is large by comparison, yet the damage is great. See if you can understand the analogy with the relative size of the cars in this case.
Rob

AOL

#7 Apr 16, 2008
CCRN wrote:
Why would it take a year to arrest him for a DWI in 2007?
Maybe he needed time to sober up.
NY NY

Pompano Beach, FL

#8 Apr 16, 2008
A gun and badge dose not protect you from everything
Independent

Cutchogue, NY

#9 Apr 16, 2008
Jen wrote:
Way to pad your injuries. Cop was a jerk but no way this woman got that injured when the cop was in a Mini Cooper and she was in a Jeep. Guess she is hoping to see the county and retire. Enough fraud.
Jen, you are one smart lady. I have been hit numerous times by Mini Coopers, including S types and convertibles, either in my car or SUV or while walking, jogging or bicycling, and the most I have gotten is a scratch or a headache. Minis tend to hit from the rear or side rear, so the insurance companies automatically place the blame on the Mini drivers, so there is no hassle. Same for the police, even those who had a brew at lunch.

The reason Minis do little damage is that..they are mini. With a jury made up of people like me and you, this officer should easily beat the rap as the jury will see through the absurdity of the accident victimís claims about the severity of her injuries.

The nice thing about being hit by Mini drivers are the interesting and fascinating people you get to meet. People who driver Minis are people who are socially responsible and in tune with Al Gore and the energy crunch. In addition to rarely harming anyone they hit, Minis get outstanding gas mileage, take up little space on the road and are a blast to drive.

todd delamuca

“NO PLAYOFFS FOR YEARS”

Since: Apr 08

FOR THE POOR G-men

#11 Apr 16, 2008
ahhhhhh what a shock a cop driving drunk kudos to the cop who busted him probably had no choice
cooltemp

Edison, NJ

#12 Apr 16, 2008
Let's see if bail is 500 bucks for Joe Blow or Jane Doe if they get locked up for DWI. Nah.
DeniseDOC

Medford, NY

#13 Apr 16, 2008
Why does he get suspended?

The charges have nothing to do with his police job.

Double jeapordy. free my policeman with a $250 fine. Then he's on his own with a devastating lawsuit. Don't call a phoney lawyer like Michael or you'll end up wearing Good Will clothes.
DeniseDOC

Medford, NY

#14 Apr 16, 2008
NY NY wrote:
A gun and badge dose not protect you from everything
protects you from elitest snobs like yourself fat girl.
larry

Highland Mills, NY

#15 Apr 16, 2008
Todd Delamuca your a dick.

A year later the DA is going to charge him with what evidence. I'm sure he didnt blow like you Todd.
Even Cops are entitled to Due Process.$500 bail is an insult and is usually an ROR.
yeah larry was a saint

Highland Mills, NY

#16 Apr 16, 2008
DeniseDOC wrote:
Double jeapordy. free my policeman with a $250 fine. Then he's on his own with a devastating lawsuit. Don't call a phoney lawyer like Michael or you'll end up wearing Good Will clothes.
Conduct unbecoming
DeniseDOC

Medford, NY

#17 Apr 16, 2008
yeah larry was a saint wrote:
<quoted text>
Conduct unbecoming
I don't doubt you, but this is new territory for me. Isn't an off-duty policeman a private citizen?

Yes he's responsible for his screwup, but unless he was DWI in his patrol car I thought it didn't matter with his employer.

Thanks again sweetheart. Stay safe.
AAA

United States

#18 Apr 16, 2008
Oink Oink Burp Burp F-art F-art piggy piggy
Civil Service

Edison, NJ

#19 Apr 16, 2008
DeniseDOC wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't doubt you, but this is new territory for me. Isn't an off-duty policeman a private citizen?
Yes he's responsible for his screwup, but unless he was DWI in his patrol car I thought it didn't matter with his employer.
Thanks again sweetheart. Stay safe.
How private would he be if he was caught smoking pot or doing steroids while he was off duty? He still committed a felony and should be fired. A police officer must practice professional behavior in and out of uniform.
Run262

Brentwood, NY

#20 Apr 16, 2008
Wrong make believe Civil Service.

DWI is a traffic law misdemeanor. Most 1st time offenders are allowed to plea out to a traffic infraction (non-crime)
BeenThereDoneTha t

Oceanside, NY

#21 Apr 16, 2008
DeniseDOC wrote:
First of all suspension from active duty is usually automatic when an Officer is charged with a crime. The suspension is usually then lifted and the Officer assigned to a desk job that does not require he carry his weapon.
Weather on not the Officer loses his job or faces inter department discipline is then decided after the court case is completed.
Most important in these cases however is the Officer be made to see he has the disease of alcoholism and unless he seeks treatment and stops drinking he will have to be fired. No Police Department can allow a man or woman who is not in recovery from alcoholism ever have their weapon back. Booze and guns do not mix.
The toughest part of getting any alcoholic into treatment is breaking through the denial they are alcoholic. so the seconf part of the suspension is used as leverage to get the Officer to seek the help needed from his department's Counseling Unit and enter treatment. Without the drinking most Officers return to normal thinking and behavior and once again are able to function in their duties. However if they cannot face their illness, deny their illness or refuse treatment then their department must terminate their employment.
Hopefully this Officer has already entered treatment with medical professionals that treat alcohol addiction. The bottom line is this Officer is the only one who can save his own life. Others will help him do it but it comes down to him having the courage to face his disease head on and completely surrender to the fact that he can never have another drink. Not one. He needs to learn that it is not the 3rd, 5th, 10th or 30th drink that gets him drunk but the 1st drink that gets him drunk.
Thousands of Oficers have faced the same illness. Thousands have accepted their disease and recovered. Others have lost their jobs, benefits, pensions, families and finally their lives because they could not accept the fact they are alcoholics.
It is much easier in life to be who you are. It is a lot better to be who you are and therefore not drink. why suffer if you don't have too. Not like you have to give up sex. you simply drink coffee, soda or juice rather than booze. You also save a ton of money.
lower taxes

Great Neck, NY

#22 Apr 17, 2008
DeniseDOC wrote:
no.1 a policeman is a policeman 24 hour's a day.no.2I am retired from N.Y.C. Dept. of sanitation if got convicted of a D.W.I. while of duty I could have lost my job,but I like most smart people who do occasionally drink either call a taxi to get home or just stay at if doing so.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roslyn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Queens pervert busted again (Jul '08) Sun the man 2
Huguenot & Centre Ave. (1984) (Feb '14) Sun mattyo 6
Who would really wear a little 81 gay sex patch... (Feb '10) Oct 14 AFFA4EVER 30
News Former New Rochelle Principal Gets Probation Fo... Oct 12 333stenbrian 1
News New Rochelle Eyes Two-Way Downtown Traffic Oct 11 333stenbrian 1
News Paying it forward Oct 10 trsh island 1
Roslyn's Joel and Debbie Levine Volunteer to Bo... (Mar '17) Mar '17 B-Mitchell 1

Roslyn Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Roslyn Mortgages